Burlington Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Burlington Stores President and CEO Tom Kingsbury
Tom Kingsbury

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance can be difficult (in 46 reviews)

• There is easier jobs out there than to be making minimum wage at Burlington (in 77 reviews)

1. "Disappointing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Burlington Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good salary for management. Great product at super prices makes it a must visit store. No coupons, sales, discounts reduces the confusion that other retails face on a daily basis. Prices alone are the draw for the consumer. Super health care plans.

Cons

Terrible HOURLY salary makes it hard to compete, very high turnover. A very defined job description, but impossible to follow as most floor associates end up being a cashier. Poor lines of communication. Favorites in the store have it made regardless of performance, attitude, or attendance. Always understaffed.

Advice to Management

Not the place to work if you are creative or have suggestions to improve things. There is a rigid SOP, go by it or fail. I've even heard the store manager tell another person "is it by SOP? if not I don't want to hear it". Really destroys moral when voices are not heard. Upper management needs to understand people are more important than procedures, it's the people that make it work. It appears to be more procedures over people. Being a new person, I was once told just to memorize the SOP because all corporate wanted to hear was that you knew it that's how important it was! It shows in the regional staff visits. Just dictate with little to no feedback. Just get it done with zero solutions, staffing, or support. Not mean, just cold and clinical. If you add new tasks, you must add the payroll to make it successful.

Now we've fallen into the annual layoff syndrome, as many other retailers are doing. Update your stores, staff them, layer in MORE people (yes, I know it means spending money but I think it will pay off) and update the technology. Most importantly - listen to your employees as if you really mean it.

Mar 20, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you are enjoying parts of your experience but very disappointed to hear that your experience does not align with Our Burlington philosophy. We pride ourselves ... More

2. "Store 869 Review"

Former Employee - Linens Sales Associate in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Linens Sales Associate in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Burlington Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to pick up extra shifts.
    Employee discount and an extra discount during select weeks of the year.
    Store to store shipment for when certain items are unavailable.

Cons

Management can be condescending towards employees.
    The flow has to be changed every few months which adds more time and tasks to the employee assigned to the section while still maintaining a clean area, checking in with customers, and act as a backup cashier.
    Receiving never unloaded the Linens deptartments merchandise.
    Every fellow employee has complained about working there.

Advice to Management

Ease up and take any complaints/quarrels/issues among coworkers to the office or in the stock room. Not out on the sales floor that customers can overhear and makes them uncomfortable shopping there.

Mar 13, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave feedback on your experience. We're disappointed to hear that come parts of your experience did not align with Our Burlington philosophy and company ... More

3. "Tolerable in the Short Term"

Former Employee - Stock Merchandise Flow Associate in Chambersburg, PA
    Former Employee - Stock Merchandise Flow Associate in Chambersburg, PA

I worked at Burlington Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to request time off when needed, Early shift allows more free time throughout the day.

Cons

Lower than average wage for position. Unnecessary amount of stress for position. Significant lack of communication, Environment is bleak and moderately toxic in morale. Workers in this position were excluded from employee social events. Advancement from position poses no rewarding benefit.

Advice to Management

Provide better wages, diversity, climate accommodations against cold and heat, and show better and positive attitudes from management.

"Vendor Relations Specialist"

Current Employee - Vendor Relations Specialist in Burlington, NJ
    Current Employee - Vendor Relations Specialist in Burlington, NJ

I have been working at Burlington Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Peers and co-workers are great!

Cons

Management is terrible, they play favorites, and generally don't do a whole lot of work (when they are actually here). Pay is extremely low. They take kids right out of college for their "Leadership Program) and those kids make at least double, sometimes triple, what someone who's been working there for years makes. Favoritism is displayed daily.

Advice to Management

Find another job because, at some point, you're going to get fired. Have constructive meetings where the actual jobs are discussed. Employees hate wasting their time in meetings because they don't care about your personal lives.

Feb 27, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad you enjoy working together with the wonderful associates on Our Burlington team! We're disappointed to hear that other aspects of your experience do not ... More

6. "Not the best place to work"

Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Shipping and Receiving in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Burlington Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the only pro is the employee discount

Cons

Uneven management, low pay, and unsafe working conditions

Feb 27, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the associate discount and are pleased to announce we recently increased our associate discount to show our appreciation for the hard work ... More

7. "Could be something great, but makes bad choices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Florence, NJ

I worked at Burlington Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were generally nice.
    The building in Florence is very nice, with an on site cafe.

Cons

Way too much political chatter. They push their all inclusive agenda, but anyone who disagrees with their political bias is basically outcast. I really did not feel comfortable talking with some people because they seemed to be too political.
    Their recent choice to drop the Ivanka Trump line was quite politically motivated, everyone who works there knows it. That kind of logic does not belong in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Work on becoming a less partisan workplace. Some people who work there do not feel comfortable talking about politics, especially when the HR department pushes inclusion so much. The team I have worked with is full of great people, but it is definitely an echo chamber of politics, which is definitely not OK in the workplace.

8. "liars"

Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Flow Team Member in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Burlington Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

grand opening new people promises

Cons

not getting all our supplies

Advice to Management

know what you are doing before you open a store.

Jan 30, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience. We are disappointed to see that your experience did not align with Our Burlington philosophy. As we continue to grow and open more stores each ... More

9. "The job was great until new manager"

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Burlington Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, Nice coworkers,and Learn new skills

Cons

Management they have their favorites that they are nice to but they are rude and speak to you in the worst way. I work there a couple of years and they would give a advancement to someone who has been there a couple of months. Getting advancement pass key holder is difficult. They fire the hard working people and let the other people who don't show up or leave stay. Also with retail there is a lot to do but at least hire enough people to get the job done, most nights you have to do other jobs that are not yours then get backlash when yours is not done.

Jan 23, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed working with Our Burlington team and felt you had opportunities to learn and grow. We trust our store managers to create a welcoming ... More

10. "Need new management"

Current Employee - Associate in Port St Lucie, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in Port St Lucie, FL

I have been working at Burlington Stores (Less than a year)

Pros

The customers are rude but the job itself is not hard .

Cons

Management is unprofessional and rude .

Jan 23, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that your experience does not align with Our Burlington philosophy and core values. We are committed to making sure our management teams ... More

11. "Merchandising manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Burlington Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can ask for a competitive salary if you've been a retail manager prior to getting this job. A good amount of holiday and vacation days are honored. Awesome benefits!

Cons

Horrible employee retention. Lack of communication and teamwork between store management corporate management. Lack of emphasis on employee hours.

Advice to Management

Upper and corporate Management should learn to collaborate with employees and management alike. Should hire and support more hours during peak holiday times. Should add more incentives and bonuses to stores.

Jan 23, 2017 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We continue to work on improving our turnover rates and are proud to say that this year our Overall Employee Satisfaction Rate has exceeded the retail norm according to ... More

Showing 337 of 1,675 reviews