Burns Entertainment And Sports Marketing Reviews in Evanston, IL | Glassdoor

Bob Williams

1. "Great Experience"

Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Evanston, IL
    Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Evanston, IL

I worked at Burns Entertainment And Sports Marketing as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting tasks, good experience, great networking. It's a small office so you can connect and build a relationship with everyone. You'll never work more than 40 hours in a week.

Cons

Unpaid, no opportunities for immediate hire upon completion.

Advice to Management

Keep finding ways to improve the program and involve interns in more meaningful ways.

2. "Avoid like the plague"

Former Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL

I worked at Burns Entertainment And Sports Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to get your feet wet in marketing. Nice to get experience working in an office if you have never had that before.

Cons

Where do I begin.... Aside from the lack of ANY compensation for the work that you are being asked to perform, the management tries to create the illusion that somehow they are doing something for YOU by promising to help you with career prospects after the internship has concluded. This simply is not the case. They will happily take the free labor in doing meaningless tasks around the office such as; taking out trash, cleaning the kitchen, answering phones, organizing data, managing calendars, etc. but do not take the time to care for the career aspirations of the interns despite saying the opposite throughout the internship. The culture is great for full timers but awful for interns and often management go out of their way to exclude the interns from company activities. Some of the staff are very rude and short with interns who are trying to help but ask questions for further clarification on tasks.

The charade that they will somehow help you network for your next job is nice in theory but is not put into practice as the management does not take the time to help you achieve your aspirations. Once your few months is up and there is a chance to do something to help they won't be bothered to send an email to a company or connection that they have. You have served your purpose to them and they no longer have a use for you because there is a fresh batch of unpaid interns coming.

Advice to Management

- Actively try to make interns feel like part of the company, don't exclude them
    - Pay your interns if you are going to treat them so poorly

"Good experience, but not as good as it looks"

Former Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL

I worked at Burns Entertainment And Sports Marketing (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're new to the business and trying to learn more, it's a great experience. You learn all about the process and get to talk to cool people sometimes. You also get to work closely with the CEO and Presidents which is nice.

Cons

1. It's an unpaid internship. On top of that they make you feel guilty and tell you that you should feel lucky to have this opportunity even though you work normal workday hours all week.

2. A lot of the time they have nothing for you to do.

3. Also, when I was leaving as an intern I specifically asked the CEO and Presidents to write letters of recommendations for me and to reach out to connections they had to help me in my job search. They did none of that! It was extremely disappointing, especially since they indicated they would be willing to help out but then just ignore you basically.

5. "Excellent experience"

Former Intern - Intern in Evanston, IL

Pros

I developed a stronger interest in marketing, endorsements, social media, and other areas while at Burns. They have a strong reputation in the industry and know a lot of contacts.

Cons

Unpaid, and some days there is not a lot to do. But it is worth it if you really want good experience.

6. "Internship - Overall Valuable Experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL

I worked at Burns Entertainment And Sports Marketing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The internship program will help you get your foot in the door elsewhere. It sucks not getting paid, but it is worth it if you do not have prior experience. Since it is not paid, I would recommend learning as much as you can, and involve yourself in projects across the agency. The full time employees have connections across the industry, so do your best to network.

Cons

Unpaid. Interns have a stricter dress code than employees.

Advice to Management

Do not require that interns dress nicer than employees. If you do not pay them, you have no leverage, so I would recommend loosening up the program.

7. "Former Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Evanston, IL

Pros

Great coworkers and management who really provide you with an internship experience that gives a ton of hands on work. From day one, you are given responsibilities that are to be met and you are held to the standard of all other employees. After your experience, if you work hard, you will have access to a handful of contacts and connections that are priceless.

Cons

Often there is not the greatest understanding of whats going on with the ongoing campaigns Burns execs are working on.
     Let interns in on the Monday morning meetings.

8. "Interesting"

Current Employee - Intern Corp Sales in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Intern Corp Sales in Evanston, IL

Pros

Burns has been a good experience. There have been some downsides and many unanswered questions (I sometimes get the feeling that I should not be asking questions because they are busy and can't be bothered by silly intern questions) but overall, the experience has been fun and it has been good to work directly with a CEO and learn directly from him.

Cons

On the slow days, you might find yourself wondering why you are there except to answer phones. Also, leaving interns out of Monday mOrning meetings leaves them alone to wonder what is being discussed and why they can't be informed of what is being discussed even though sometimes the interns play a vital role to the company.

Advice to Management

Let the interns know exactly what is going on. There have been many employees leave Burns recently and the interns are all curious of why this is happening. If we are expected to exceed expectations like the full time employees do, we should be informed of what is going on at the company so we can fully understand how a small company such as Burns works.

9. "Great internship Experience/ Good networking"

Former Employee - Intern in Evanston, IL

Pros

-You are able to work along side the CEO and higher level executives of the company
    - Being able to work on big projects with well known clients
    -Networking with people who have been in the sport and entertainment industry for many years
    - Getting hands on experience with a highly regarded company
    -You are not just working in one area of the company, you are able to learn all sides of the industry.

Cons

- 15 week internship that is unpaid
    - Some times there is repetative reaserch, however it does end up being beneficial for a campaign

"Valuable Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

-High level of involvement
    -Great experience
    -Friendly staff
    -Your input is valued
    -Sit in on important conference calls
    -Assigned work is vital to the success of the company
    -You get involved in important projects
    -They are understanding about needing time off
    -Looks great on your resume
    -Will help you gain employment
    -They are very willing to recommend your work if you are deserving
    -Great intra-office communication
    -You get to see the results of your work
    -Gain college credit

Cons

-Unpaid, but the experience is as great as you make it
    -Some remedial work, but someone has to do it and it's an important foundation to your experience

Advice to Management

Continue the high level of involvement you provide to your interns. The experience I gained interning at Burns and the recommendations from Burns staff members were vital to my success in gaining employment.

11. "Great Experience as an Intern at Burns Entertainment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Pros

-Flexible work hours
    -Great team of people
    -Very involved with a lot of the larger scale projects
    -Able to present input
    -Looks great on a resume

Cons

-Unpaid, but received credits required to graduate from college
    -Non-compete agreement

Advice to Management

I wouldn't be where I am without my experience at Burns Entertainment. With close supervision of upper management, I was booking athlete appearances and negotiating with clients. I got these opportunities by working hard at the small things (answering phones, doing research, database updates, etc). 2 years after completing my internship, I still remain close not just with the full-time employees, but the interns I worked with then.