KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Burns & McDonnell Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2022

Found 991 of over 1,181 reviews

4.0
Burns & McDonnell CEO  Ray Kowalik  (no image)
Ray Kowalik

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Many great people and a very good feeling of accomplishment working here.(in 118 reviews)
  • "Both are a great benefit if you stay here for your career!(in 77 reviews)
  • "The corporate culture was good and the ESOP was great.(in 50 reviews)
  • "Good pay and a lot of overtime(in 38 reviews)
  • "great bonus and ESOP structure(in 27 reviews)
Cons
  • "work/life balance is difficult to maintain since every project is always running out of budget(in 71 reviews)
  • "In my opinion this is just an excuse for poor management.(in 45 reviews)
  • "There can be long hours and sometimes you have to jump through hoops to get things done.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Low salaries and very bonus heavy for total package.(in 27 reviews)
  • "Engineers DO NOT ALWAYS make good managers.(in 26 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Burns & McDonnell and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work overall

Jun 30, 2022 - Structural Designer in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great learning and advancement opportunities. Fun, challenging and innovative projects

Cons

Lack of communication between departments. Very accelerated deadlines.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Terrible Department manager at branch office

Jun 26, 2022 - Project Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting and large scale aviation projects. The company's overall performance is great but there are terrible, underqualified managers at branch offices. Employee ownership is the buzzword but the total compensation is below competitors' package in this market

Cons

My comments below are not for the corporate but only for the specific branch office where I worked at. The management at your NYC branch office needs to be improved. The department manager doesn't know what she's doing and is demonstrating terrible leadership style. Keep in mind that long career history doesn't always guarantee a great technical expertise. Please take a look at the structural engineering teams' turn over rate at this NYC office: A 5~6 year airport design project had almost 70% of the engineer quit their jobs. This department manager's lack of technical expertise made herself completely rely on the peer review from 2 or 3 senior engineers to ensure her project design accuracy. She's more interested in finding out "which engineer made the mistake" than "why the team under my supervision always screw up". This “finger-pointing" review style fostered an extremely toxic working environment filled with criticism, judgement, and cold violence.. Constantly blaming the current and even the engineers who quit years ago in front of the team is absolutely not the professional leadership style. The department manager abuses the performance review to manipulate the employees' loyalty and motivation in career growth and is almost driving a rat race within the department. With zero interest in team building, she's keeping a team only to continue the project, not for the long term growth of this office or the corporate.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee

Worst work experience of my life

Jun 21, 2022 - Electrical Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

ESOP is great however you won't yield a full percentage of it until a certain amount of years, Houston is great culinary wise and vibe wise, coworkers are fantastic and top talent is amongst you constantly, great experience, rewarding projects, travel is also nice.. company reimburses you

Cons

More of a switch and bait company than anything. They'll hover the concept of ESOP, and a juicy 401k over your head until the end of time. Very lucrative company with short and aggressive schedules, which will make your work/life balance almost non-existing. Managers will try to squeeze the last dime of breath out of you if they can. Never in my life have I seen a more unprofessionally run company than this one. Even heard the COO of the company poor mouth an individual explicitly with curse words. From lower management, to top management executives, the entire structure needs a rework. Pitiful organization, and I would HIGHLY wouldn't recommend any woman in this environment. You are treated horrendously, and will hate your life every single working second here. I personally opted out on visiting human resources in fear of retaliation. You will constantly find yourself working over 9 hours to finish projects. The second you run out of work, kiss your job goodbye. Job security isn't much here. If you're looking for a more stable job, seek elsewhere.

3 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Good long term employment

Jun 30, 2022 - Project Assistant in Brea, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Stable long term employment with challenging projects. Office environment is clean, friendly people and overall positive vibe. ESOP benefits are great if you plan on retiring with Burns.

Cons

Lack of work life balance. Needs more flexibility for remote work company only provides 30 days per year. Benefits are expensive even if you participate in the company’s health program. Out of pocket costs are high. No room for growth for lower level staff. Raises/promotions take forever even if you are a top performer.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place To Work

Mar 13, 2022 - Staff Electrical Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture and people are great. The company is 100% employee owned (it's an ESOP) which helps drive the culture. ESOP is a great retirement vehicle - I don't know of any engineer here who hasn't retired a millionaire if they started at BMcD early and stuck with it. Compensation model seems about as fair as you could make it in terms of progression. Salaried employees can be paid an hourly rate after 40 hours of work if the projects their working on have the budget, so for young folks who are looking to grind and build a foundation for themselves early, it's a great opportunity. We work on very cool projects, which is always exciting.

Cons

Work from home flexibility is there, but lower than I like. My personal management is more flexible than the company official policy, but in general I feel that the flexibility is not consistent, and highly depends on which department you're in. Compensation structure can be daunting since it's very bonus-heavy and includes retirement options that most companies don't offer. You end up making a great living, but for some folks with an offer in front of them, it's hard to really get a sense of what you'll actually make. Salary tends to be lower than industry avg with much higher bonuses than industry avg after you get a few years in. ESOP contributions each year are also around 11-12% of total take-home pay (including salary, bonus, overtime). This complicated compensation structure is confusing or just not preferable for some folks.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good company, you can largely guide your own career

Jun 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s in a good location, all the employees are driven thanks to esop and it is growing fast so lots of opportunities for career movement

Cons

Easy to fall bathing behind your coworkers If your not super driven. Can be long hours

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

I Own the Company

Apr 4, 2022 - Strategist in Kansas City, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

-100% Employee Owned; I love the Employee Ownership. My last two employers before Burns & McDonnell were not employee-owned and I would never go to a company now that isn't 100% employee owned. Here, enrollment into the ESOP is automatic and costs nothing! People around me work hard and do what's in the best interest of the company since we all own it. - Work Life Balance, or what I like to call, Work Life Integration. Flexible hours so if I need to come in late or leave early, I can. If I have a dr. appt, a vet appt, sick kid, etc., I work from home. Plus, I have days to work from home just because... - Large company = lots of opportunities so you do not have to be in the same role or go up one ladder you entire career - My team is amazing! - Great company overall. This is my third employer, post college, and I haven't looked back. Best decision ever. I also personally appreciate the on-site amenities...saves me time from running errands outside of work. I use the Dry Cleaning service, mail services to ship my personal packages; health center; pharmacy; I've even used the on-site chair massages a couple times.

Cons

Long hours sometimes when needed, as expected with any job.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Challenging place with great opportunities

Jun 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love that you can make your own opportunities if you are entrepreneurial. It is a challenging place to work, but I love who I work with and the growth of the company.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Place to Work

Jun 25, 2022 - Assistant Applications Specialist 1st Year in Kansas City, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Make you feel valued and like you have room to grow

Cons

Its huge and can be a little overwhelming

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best comp for young architects

Mar 12, 2022 - Staff Architect in Kansas City, MO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Base salary is equal (potentially slightly lower) to other architecture firms in Kansas City, but the year-end cash bonus puts you way ahead of peers in the profession. When ESOP contribution/dividends are included, the comp is first class. Overtime is not required, but you get paid for it when worked. Depending on the division, great opportunities to travel and work on large scale projects early in your career. A lot of responsibility is put on your shoulders, and you get to work on projects from conceptual design through construction. 30 WHF days and 15 PTO days a year to start as new hire. Horizontal organizational structure, so there are not a ton of layers of bosses.

Cons

Engineers you work with everyday on the same projects make about 10%-20% more base salary than you depending on the discipline, and there is nothing you can do about it because of industry-standard bill rates. Overtime is optional, but often times work-life balance is hard to maintain around deadline time. Horizontal organizational structure, so leadership positions can be hard to come by.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 991 Reviews

Burns & McDonnell Reviews FAQs

Burns & McDonnell has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 1,181 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at Burns & McDonnell to a friend and 80% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Burns & McDonnell employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Burns & McDonnell. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

79% of Burns & McDonnell employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Burns & McDonnell 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Burns & McDonnell to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be management, work life balance, compensation.

Popular Careers with Burns & McDonnell Job Seekers