BuroHappold Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roger Nickells

Pros
Cons
  • Some people don't have work life balance and some do, depends on what team you are on (in 7 reviews)

• partnership is its own worst enemy, no one can agree on anything and it doesn't appear that the partners are in sync with the direction of the company (in 6 reviews)

"Excellent working experience"

Former Employee - Senior Environmental Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Environmental Designer in New York, NY

Pros

Opportunity to travel, great people to work with, supportive environment, international exposure, opportunity for growth, good benefits package and vacation time.

Cons

Could have used more constructive criticism and/or praise other than once per year, travel can be exhausting, work life balance was sometimes really overwhelming and other times not an issue at all.

Advice to Management

Management was excellent. There was always strong leadership and opportunities for learning outside of the class room through courses and workshops.

"Bim Coordinator"

I have been working at BuroHappold full-time

Pros

Great people and jobs to work on

Cons

None that i can think of

"Growing pains or just lots of room to grow.."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BuroHappold full-time

Pros

Global presence. High-profile projects. Large number of dedicated staff. Opportunity to take on new responsibilities if you push for it although official transitions don't seem to be a smooth (or common) process. Very transparent company, most information both project and company related is available to everyone (if you can figure out where to look for it).

Cons

Top heavy company. Engineers are expected to take on drafting / modelling roles in some instances.. There are no "drafters" which may actually be a pro depending on your outlook for the AEC industry. For example ehanced technology can allow for faster delivery of project documents (which should allow engineers to create their own digital documents with minimal effort), in theory, however this is where the con comes in. The technology services are abysmal. There are IT related issues constantly. The struggle to produce work in a timely fashion is severe with this constant stream of downtime which causes both massive frustration as well as unmotovation. Certain people have outdated computers and upgrading them seems to be a shocking request.

In addition to the IT fiasco, the disoganization of this company is profound. Finding certain documents can be like a treasure hunt and knowing where to save documents can be just as ambivalent. Communication is not standardized. There are often times pieces of information that go through the grapevine, even internally, before reaching all applicable parties, even when it's time sensitive information which as you might have guessed leads to disasters. This is a common problem "within the industry" however internal distribution of applicable information, especially when critical, must be a standard protocol.

What is apparent is that there have been years of administrative neglect that are all coming to the surface. Between the mismatch in company wide standards, the obscurity of resources for information and the ambiguity among the engineers even internally within a single office, this company needs a major overhaul. The good news is that the foundation is already there. The company seems to be acknowledging it's pitfalls kicking into high gear for a remedy. The bad news is that I've heard all the big speeches many times and haven't seen plans go into action. There's often times company wide meetings which give fair and accurate feedback for the most part and preach about our bright future ahead but it seems to be all talk no walk. This company has been in existence for far too long to be this far back.

Advice to Management

Fix your IT department. Hire people who know what they're doing and spend the money on the correct tools to get the job done. Shouldn't be that mind blowing of a proposal. Implement data management tools like Newforma to organize the mess of floating documentation everywhere. Standardize and enforce communication strategies. Standardize, enforce and EXPLAIN where everything is and how it should be implemented. Clearly define people's roles and responsibilities and standardize that across the company. There's a bizzare mismatch of employee titles where it's difficult to understand who does what sometimes. Like the saying goes: If you build, it they will come.. If you give them directions..

Mar 31, 2017 – HR team

Hello Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do appreciate your comments and are trying to improve our internal systems; this year we have implemented a new project planner system so we ... More

"Great career growth, exciting place to be"

Current Employee - Associate Principal in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Principal in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

In my experience at BuroHappold, there has been significant career growth. I have grown professionally and personally and feel that I've been given a lot of opportunity I would not have received elsewhere. We work on inspirational projects around the world, and are a first in class firm. In my experience, success at BuroHappold is about embracing change, bringing new thinking/ideas and taking on new challenges. Those that struggle and leave/are disappointed are the ones that expect to be spoon-fed and the people that will never be happy. My view is you have to work hard, be a leader, have a positive impact and then you will see the benefits and career growth. The upper management is much younger than other firms because the office is young in general. As a result, there were growing pains a few years ago, but the office is much more mature/experienced and retention is improved. There are a lot of opportunities given to younger staff, and technical development and project involvement is encouraged. BuroHappold invests in doing pro-bono work on projects to help develop younger staff and give back. There are great benefits like summer hours, office yoga, breakfast fridays, subsidized public transit etc.

Cons

The company operates more as start-up then a corporation, and there are many benefits and drawbacks to that. Certain people prefer the corporate style.
    Systems are messy globally but this is going through an overhaul at the moment.

Mar 31, 2017 – HR team

Hello Thank you for your positive comments - we're so pleased that you are advancing in your career and have plenty of opportunities to develop. We are a medium-sized practice and not a conglomerate ... More

"Great Global Firm, Awesome First Year Experience"

Pros

A great firm working on great projects. Treats newly hired graduates well and is a great environment for college graduates seeking first job.

Cons

Large company means some of your hardwork may go unnoticed.

Dec 9, 2016 – HR team

Hello Thank you for your feedback. We're really pleased to hear that you've had an excellent first year with us ! We view our graduates as an integral part of BuroHappold and as the future of our ... More

6. "Growing Team with Exciting Projects"

Current Employee - Associate Mechanical Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Mechanical Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Modern open plan office located on the 16th floor Penthouse in Downtown LA.
    Vibrant and Diverse relatively young team (Avg. age <40)
    Challenging complex projects in the US and internationally

Cons

Driving to downtown can be slow at certain times of the day but luckily public transport is constantly improving and expanding.

May 15, 2017 – Manager

Hello Thanks for your comments. We are keen to ensure our office environments create effective working spaces with a focus on employees' health and well-being. It's great to hear you are enjoying ... More

"Excellent place to work, great people and projects"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bath, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bath, England (UK)

Pros

Buro Happold is full of excellent creative and innovative people and gives you access to plenty of challenging and really interesting projects.
    Allows people to get international experience through its secondment programme

Cons

The salary is quite low and the company benefits limited
    There is not a lot of integration beween different departments
    The communication from the top management could improve.

Advice to Management

They should improve their communications. The previous CEO was better than the current on that aspect.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Committed and engaged staff, interesting work (depending on discipline), reasonable overall morale, acceptable senior management, partnership structure, skills are valued, cool high-end projects.

Cons

Can suffer from poor internal knowledge transfer and fragmentation between offices, can be overly concerned with strategy at the expense of nurturing value.

Advice to Management

More real down-to-earth leadership, less strategic waffle. Too many layers of management, so good ideas are not heard or shared.

"A job well done"

Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BuroHappold full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great projects, amazing and inspired people. Excellent prospects for the future and a real can do attitude among staff. Investment into their staff happens on a daily basis.

Cons

Maybe not a downside; but as a graduate a more defined training path would be really good to mould them into the right sort of engineers. People generally seem to be dissatisfied with the amount they are paid. People work very hard and are not always given the credit they deserve, often a new recruit is brought in to fill a role rather than looking to promote someone from within the business.

Advice to Management

You have an excellent company full of the best people- look to get more high quality, profitable projects to get these people the wage they deserve

"Structural Engineer"

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at BuroHappold full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome team to work with and much potential to grow within the group. I still remember a line mentioned by the guy interviewing me. He said, " when you know what you want to do in your career, Buro Happold is a place for you." And, it is true. Not only you learn and polish technical skills, but many other things can be found within this company.

Cons

At the time, it was a bit tight in terms of resources. Hence, everybody just work to 110% to get the most/best out of themselves. Stressful but still something for one to grow.

Advice to Management

Do keep the great transparency of operation and development of the company worldwide. It has been exciting to hear. Maintain the great communications with various groups and teams. It has always been great and I am happy to have part of my career with Buro Happold.

Mar 31, 2017 – HR team

Hello Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's great to hear your positive feedback. We are so pleased that you enjoyed working within your team and were offered lots of opportunities ... More