KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Business Insider

Is this your company?

Business Insider

Add a Review

Business Insider Employee Reviews about "editors"

Updated Jul 12, 2021

Found 21 of over 238 reviews

3.9
Business Insider CEO  and Editorial Director  Henry Blodget (no image)
Henry Blodget
Pros
  • "good perks and work/life balance(in 13 reviews)

• "great company culture(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The editors have awful writing skills(in 17 reviews)

• "Insider is working towards a more inclusive environment across the newsroom and business team(in 13 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Business Insider

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Business Insider and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "editors"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Freelancer, more than 1 year

Great Pay, Better Editors

Oct 15, 2020 - Writer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

High rates for articles, supportive editors, flexible schedule

Cons

pay cycle is too long

2. 2.0
      Current Employee

Tread carefully - this is a place that works well for some but not others

Jul 12, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/ life balance, unlimited PTO, and generally nice folks

Cons

Nothing about the product or company is cutting-edge. The product here is a frankenstein of a bunch of third-party tools which makes it painful for both the engineers and editors who are treated as obvious disposable employees. In addition, much of the experiences on the site are just lazy copies of what bigger competitors are doing. Office politics is also a major issue and many teams here are run by middle-managers who have no experience or are hired right out of undergrad and can't communicate very will with others. Compensation is average.

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Former Contractor

Lots of hierarchy and cliques

Jan 12, 2021 - Journalist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, good salary and a company that is smart and adaptable to changing media climates

Cons

If you are BFFs with the editor-in-chief, you are untouchable. Critiquing someone who is friends with the EIC gets you no support, even if you are in the right.

4. 5.0
      Former Intern

A nice place to start as a junior journalist

Aug 3, 2020 - Internship in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Editors are super friendly and supportive.

Cons

If you want to stay after the internship, you need to know an industry well and master that beat

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Yellow journalism is the rule, real reporting an exception

Aug 13, 2020 - Reporting Fellow in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

This has nothing to do with the journalists themselves, who I knew only to be diligent and thoughtful.

Cons

The place is a content farm. It prizes speed and efficiency over all else. I'm baffled that any of the leadership, including senior editors, consider themselves journalists. That is, generally speaking, an unduly generous description. The leadership's basic function is to ensure that our work garners clicks. During my six months: - I was given an (aggregation) assignment to be turned around in about an hour. The only relevant sourcing I found was in another language. I told my editor that I could not possibly do foreign-language research. They told me that it seemed like I just didn't want to do the assignment, that they were too busy to help me, and that I needed to figure it out on my own. This was a few weeks after I arrived. - An editor subtweeted me because they thought a pitch of mine was foolish and naïve. This was a few weeks after I arrived. - I was given an (aggregation) assignment that fully relied on a "news report" from a US-government-funded publication. I could not locate any other reportage that corroborated this news item. I wrote the piece and it immediately went viral, relying as it did on Sinophobic propaganda. I asked the assigning editor if we could update the piece to reflect that a portion of my report relied on information from a US-government-funded publication. The editor asked why such a qualification was necessary. Around the same time, another editor told our team to avoid citing from state-funded publications in Russia and China. An editor who believes that only US-government-funded media is legitimate doesn't deserve to be called a journalist. They should be labelled a propagandist. - The pandemic began and I started pitching about how the coronavirus could affect refugees in European transit camps. An editor eventually told me that no reader would be interested in such a story. By the time I left the fellowship, Business Insider had published more than 4,500 coronavirus-related stories. Three mentioned "refugees." - Editors routinely deleted source quotes that questioned conventional wisdoms. - Senior editors only praised my work when it went viral. I worked long and hard on the few features I was given time to write, and I felt that some were among my best work. We clearly had different understandings of what constitutes good journalism.

13 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Opportunities to write cool stories and company perks, low pay

Jul 8, 2020 - Fellow in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of opportunities to pursue stories or beats you're interested in depending on how heavy the workload is for your team - Nice perks, like free snacks and bonding events with plenty of good, free food - Stocked kitchens with free food, drinks, and snacks - Organized system set up for fellows to check in with editors and weekly team meetings

Cons

- Huge company, which makes it hard to get to know people on other teams - Depending on your work load can be difficult to pursue stories or other projects on the side - Low pay, especially for living in New York City - No benefits - Journalists in the newsroom are ranked by their readership on stories, media appearances and mentions, and other factors thus creating a weird point system

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not worth the stress

Mar 10, 2020 - Reporter in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working schedule, can work from home plenty of days

Cons

Huge lack of diversity. There are exactly 0 people of color who are in leadership positions, which is problematic. Management constantly says "We're working on it," in every meeting, when it's addressed. Lack of guidance from editors, especially on the editorial team. Managers don't give constructive criticism that's helpful, they pretty much expect you to figure it out for yourself. Employees are severely overworked for the amount of pay they get, and are not allowed overtime unless "given permission," which defeats the purpose of overtime since you essentially will never get permission to do so. Reporters are left navigating the field without support and guidance, which are essential to helping reporters perform functions.

10 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best newsroom I've worked in, with flexibility and great communication

Feb 11, 2020 - Senior Reporter in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Insider has been like watching my career take off in a rocket ship. My beat has changed in response to what readers seem to be responding to, which I think is the mark of a good, analytics-driven newsroom. I'm well-supported by editors who guide, but don't smother, and by a staff that can help out with great graphics, photos, etc. I can't say enough good things about the culture. Lines of communication to my direct editor, senior editors, and even the CEO couldn't be more open. My team is sticky (a rarity in media) and collaborative - no one has ever been territorial about coverage areas or sharing bylines. This is a place where good talent gets noticed, nurtured, and compensated well. The few HR issues I've had were taken care of swiftly and appropriately, which unfortunately can feel like a rarity in some newsrooms. It's a great place for self-motivated people who want to be out with their ear to the ground; this isn't a newsroom where you'll be handed daily assignments. We're producing work that gets better every quarter, individually and corporately, and we're read by top decision makers at companies across the country. The newsroom also reminds me of the best parts of journalism school: we have frequent trainings and guest speakers from a diversity of backgrounds to learn from each other and external experts.

Cons

Lack of ethnic diversity on particular teams and in upper management is a problem, but it seems like management is working on ways to tap new pools of talent

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

This company is so wack it's laughable

Feb 27, 2019 - Intern in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The only pro of working here is that you can say you are employed, even though every day there makes you question what cosmic entity you must have pissed off to get there. But I will say, the video team seems nice.

Cons

To sum up: so many excellent publications are experiencing falling outs/layoffs, from Mic to Buzzfeed to HuffPost, etc. Others are shutting down entirely. I can honestly say Business Insider/Insider Inc. is the ONLY publication that I 100% believe SHOULD have shut down in the place of all these others. I would not wish working here upon my worst enemy. "Read on" if you'd like to know why. To most everyone on the outside, Business Insider is a legit and well-known publication. On the inside, it is a dumpster fire of deception and exploitation. This company discourages unionizing. It gave its global editor-in-chief a check for $2000, while reducing it's full-time employees to hourly wages (with a spontaneous notification of this via email) to avoid having to pay them the legal minimum amount in New York. It has a gender pay gap problem that it denies. In your contracts, you must agree to never say anything bad about Insider while you work there. You're also not allowed to get a recommendation from any of your fellow employees or supervisors for future jobs. Any ideas you come up with at Insider that are not related to work are their property. Editorial higher ups selectively choose the schools they'll look at job applications from, so if you went to Syracuse or NYU (and you're a mildly attractive white woman), you're in luck. The company is largely made up of white, middle class-or-higher workers. The writers rooms are so white that any stories from a POC or non-cis perspective have to be sent out to freelancers. I overheard so many conversations from higher up editorial employees pathetically attempting to be inclusive, who clearly didn't know what they were talking about and were so misguided, you would find yourself trapped in a full-body cringe for the rest of the day. The culture of the office is akin to "Mean Girls," without Tina Fey's loveable sense of humor. They must have come up with the stereotype of rich white women being catty and passive aggressive from their observations of Insider employees. Interns are given "intern buddies," who are editorial workers that meet with them for monthly lunches and generally help them through their time at Insider. My intern buddy met with me once, then spent the rest of my internship ignoring me in the halls and being incredibly passive aggressive to the interns who worked directly under them. If you're a freelancer, the editor will decide whether or not they want to completely ignore you or take the minimal time it takes to actually respond. In the meantime, they'll keep reminding you that "opinions aren't allowed" and pretty much, to just regurgitate other information/reporting that already exists. You will not be informed of anything, or treated with respect, you are merely there until the editor decides you're not, and that's that. I can earnestly say that Nich Carlson has the IQ of a high school football player with a concussion. He is the epitome of white male privilege, in that he wrecked every job he had up to this point and was somehow named global editor-in-chief. If you ask him a question, he literally doesn't know how to respond, and will probably use Venn Diagrams that make no sense. Think of Chris Hemsworth in the "Ghostbusters" reboot, and that is Nich Carlson. I don't understand how he was ever hired here to begin with, much less run the company. Henry Blodget, you are nice, if not one of one million other white men at that company. If I had to describe Insider in a few words, I think they would be "I just..." because... I just... have trouble finding the words for this place. If you value yourself as a writer, journalist or inclusive individual, do not work here. Do not support this place. If you are a problematic white man or a picture of white feminism, however, then you will love it. Ignore everything I've said. Oh, and as for the content quality, all you have to do is read the website to see the garbage they put out from day-to-day. Spelling errors and clickbait abound. Save yourself the time, energy and near-paralyzing frustration, and consider Insider CANCELLEDT.

6 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Intern

Experience can be a wildcard depending on editor/manager

Oct 31, 2018 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food, fun pr events sometimes, access to companies that people know of

Cons

Get the short end of the stick when it comes to stories, usually ones that no one wants to take. Editors aren't all equally responsive or helpful about how to find stories yourself.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 Reviews