Business and Engineering Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Business and Engineering Systems Reviews

5.0
Joseph Bozzay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Small growing web-services / software company with amazing benefits"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Business and Engineering Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Each week I am given opportunities to work on new tasks. I feel that based on the work I do routinely that I have been given the chance to learn new skills and broaden my resume. The company really tries to keep its employees which creates a sense of loyalty from the staff and from the management. The benefits are unlike any other company. Working hours can be made flexible here upon management approval, which makes having a family and career possible.

Cons

As expected with any small company, it is easy to get overloaded. Sometimes the new opportunities come in massive waves and everyone has to change tasking before finishing the current tasks. So at any given time there may be several 'fires' in the works.

"Fantastic "job" - exciting work and matchless benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Ashburn, VA

Pros

One of the execs like to say "We're not in the software business, we're in the solutions business" - this translates to "just get it done" - very limited "process" to bog you down; just enough to make work easy. Wide range of tasking keeps every employee "current" with technology trends. Open Source is fully embraced making it easy to "git" the right tool for the job at hand. Fast-paced; no lumbering 12 month "requirements analysis" task that drains your energy and results in a mound of paperwork. We write software here. We solve real-world problems as fast as we can. The pace is, at times, hectic, but the rewards are commensurate. Locale is great - residential feel, with limited traffic.

Cons

Many of the pros can be cons - for example, It's great to use an open source package where you can see the source code and even apply patches/fix bugs, but for the more serious issues, the lack of a paid support model can be tedious. Additionally, the pace can be too high to do proper software engineer and CM; we all must be disciplined for the "next" developer on our projects not to be frustrated.

Business and Engineering Systems Response

Jun 20, 2014 – HR

Thank you for your review, it is honest and helpful.

"Small growing web services company, very people-oriented with generous benefits not seen in current environments."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Business and Engineering Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people pushing leading-edge ideas forward into the technical realm. Preparing to move into the Cloud. Great benefits. Always new aspects to learn and incorporate. Workable solutions take precedence over plodding processes - if you can make it work and make a case for scaling to the users' needs, no procedures will hold you back.

Cons

Different tasks every day - being small means there's always new challenges popping up to be addressed. If you can't change context and regroup quickly - this could be a problem.

Advice to Management

Business and Engineering Systems Response

Jun 20, 2014 – HR

I agree, the company benefits are the best in the business!

"Great Small Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at Business and Engineering Systems full-time

Pros

Management takes a strong interest in developing and investing in personnel, great benefits and flexible work hours, personable and intelligent co-workers, company is growing so there are opportunities to learn new skills and apply them to current tasks

Cons

Must be able to adapt quickly to new challenges as projects can have quick turnaround deadlines. This can be stressful at times, but is manageable

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Ashburn, VA

Pros

Good salary, compensation
    great benefit package and retirement
    plenty of vacation leave
    Great amenities near the office- restaurants, Starbucks, movie theater and soon soccer and baseball.

Cons

Deadline can be stressful, however everyone pulls together to make the clients projects a success.