Bustle Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 27, 2019

2.7
Bustle CEO Bryan Goldberg
Bryan Goldberg
Pros
  • "It's really convenient to work from home(in 7 reviews)

• "Great team of editors and writers(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "So many writers, not much room for growth, part-time pay is mediocre(in 6 reviews)

• "Poor upper management who care more about power and titles instead of quality work(in 6 reviews)

1. "Awesome!"

Current Employee - Editor

I have been working at Bustle full-time

Pros

Free snacks and good benefits

Cons

Mone to mention at the moment

Bustle2019-11-27
  2. "Great immediate management, but difficult to move up"

Current Employee - Staff Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bustle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful managers, empathetic, understanding, great company culture.

Cons

Since this has become such a large company, it's difficult to move up/get regular pay increases, even when responsibilities increase

Bustle2019-11-18
  3. "It was good until it wasn’t (like a boyfriend who betrayed me in the end)"

Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I worked at Bustle full-time

Pros

I actually really liked working here a lot, and I think I would have continued working here for a long time if I hadn’t been laid off. Yes it has its problems but all companies do (see below), especially in media. My co-workers were some of my best friends, I got paid more than I would at the majority of other media companies (although I know salaries were all over the place), and there were always a ton of fun... events for me to bond with my co-workers. It had the feeling of a start-up (I could wear shorts to the office and cry when I was having a bad day and if I messed up I didn’t feel like it was going to cost me my job) with the security of a big company (benefits and increasing number of perks). I felt personally close to this company despite a lot of its flaws. And Cheesegiving! Never again :(

Cons

I don’t think the biggest con is so much with the company as with the direction it’s headed and where their shifting their priority. I understand what a “restructuring” is and how a new EIC might want to come in and bring her own people. But when you already have top talent available to you (and since this is anonymous, I can say without feeling like a braggart: I am top educated talent with a track record. I am far... beyond any writer/editor they’ll be able to get in the future and I know that, I’m just not flashy about it) don’t kick them out the door. Use them! Even if you can’t use all of them, editorial staff aren’t one-trick ponies. Most of us are multi-faceted. Talk to us about how to use us, the people that want to be there, that loved BDG, that were loyal to the company. Someone doesn’t have to do only the job you initially hired them for. Why are you hiring at the other companies (Nylon, Mic, Input, Outline, even within Bustle, BDG’s other departments) when we could have done those jobs and done them well? It doesn’t make sense. Improve communication. Don’t be so quick to lay people off.

Advice to Management

As for all these negative comments about the CEO, I barely interacted with him, but I will say they aren’t exactly false but they also seem to be extremely exaggerated from what little firsthand experience I had. I think just about everyone who works there has some kind of story about him talking about his dating life, but that’s just because he’s an insecure guy who no woman would ever REALLY consider dating if it... wasn’t for his $$$$. People are writing on here like he constantly screamed at everyone and tortured people—he never did! talking about a dating app when you struggle with women is far from the biggest issue in a CEO. It honestly just made me feel sad for him. I think he actually really cared about the staff and if any person at any level had asked for a one-on-one meeting with him we would have gotten it. He was always willing to talk to anyone which is a rare trait.

Bustle2019-11-18
  4. "The Higher Up On The Ladder, The Worse The People"

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bustle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers, patient and thoughtful editors

Cons

-Very little upward momentum -Not a lot of opportunities to grow in your craft or receive guidance, especially if you work remote -got laid off after 4.5 years to make room for "marquee writers" because loyalty doesn't mean anything to upper management.

Advice to Management

Let people who like the website run the website.

Bustle2019-11-13
  5. "Bustle is a bust..."

Current Employee - Video

I have been working at Bustle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location, decent snacks, close to subways.

Cons

Bustle is a company that 'says' they are all about empowering women- yet that couldn't be further from how they operate. The company is run by young and inexperienced people and the office is a place where 'mean girls' and cliques are a part of the culture. The company as a whole is clueless about video. Poor hr staff- employees have no real support. Poor upper management who care more about power and titles... instead of quality work.

Advice to Management

Hire people with legitimate experience. Listen to the employees and take time to truly trouble shoot before making drastic changes.

Bustle2019-11-23

"CONSTANT GASLIGHTING & MIND GAMES"

Former Employee - Editorial in New York, NY

I worked at Bustle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers were sweet, lovely people, and I made decent money for my position. But the management...

Cons

Trust, people's complaints about Bustle are real. From the very beginning, you're treated as less-than by upper management, especially executives. The editorial strategy changes month-to-month with zero explanation or communication from managers, and there is absolutely racist behavior from several white managers to employees of color. Goals are not clearly communicated, and being a "team player" here means never... speaking up for yourself or questioning why things work the way they do. Morale is low, and management thinks the way to deal with that is to try to cover it up, rather than deal with the true sources of it (layoffs, unclear strategy, limited opportunities for advancement). HR works for the execs, not you. Everything you have heard about this place is true — and the reality is even worse.

Advice to Management

Management would never, ever take advice from anyone, especially an ~editor~, so I'm not gonna try now.

Bustle2019-11-16

"Don’t bother unless you’re a “marquee” writer apparently"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bustle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some good talented people who work there, although the majority of them have either been fired or voluntarily left for greener (better paying and better managed) pastures. The snacks in the kitchen. The support staff. Everyone gets a laptop I guess?

Cons

Don’t bother applying unless you work or previously worked at Condé Nast or Hearst apparently. That’s what is considered “marquee” by Bryan Goldberg.—who cares that the people who work/worked at the site are equally qualified and helped build it and have a bigger or equal social media following. And even if you did work there, trust me when I say you don’t want to work at BDG. The place is mismanaged, disorganized,... HR is a nightmare, and the reputation you’ll get working for the CEO, who is an absolute joke, is not worth it. There are a million other places to work where you won’t be selling your soul to do so. Don’t be a sell out and work for the devil. That’s how you’ll be viewed by all your colleagues in media. And if the CEO is reading this: people who worked at Condé Nast and Hearst aren’t the only people who know how to write and edit. Or that homophobic failed Bachelor contestant hired to run Gawker either (who thought she was too good to be around any of us in the first place).

Advice to Management

Don’t lay-off your employees. You hired them for a reason. Figure out what to do with them. They’re better than your CEO and a lot of your upper management.

Bustle2019-11-14
  8. "less cool in office"

Former Employee - Commerce Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Bustle part-time for more than a year

Pros

exposed to lots of cool people

Cons

They don't really care about their contract part-timers, and treat us like second class citizens.

Advice to Management

If your workers are in office and help bring a large amount of money to your company treat them like they matter. The lower level positions

Bustle2019-10-04

"The Rumors Are All True"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bustle full-time for more than a year

Pros

The writers and associate editors/editors are majority great. Then, it turns nightmarish.

Cons

Employees are seen as disposable. Countless brainstorms go nowhere. No room for growth. Any genuine criticism or concern is met with opposition. Any POC or underrepresented person is wholly miserable because inclusion efforts are a joke. HR is a nightmare, as is leadership beyond Bryan. No communication on ANY level of management. Just....run away ASAP. I wish I could give 0 stars.

Bustle2019-11-06

"meh"

I have been working at Bustle full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are great people who still work here. Snacks are good. Location is good.

Cons

Leadership sucks. HR is inconsistent and fake. Diversity is a joke and just a talking point. Content is generic, unimaginative and just for clicks. Run of the mill boring digital media - whatever used to make this company special is gone.

Bustle2019-10-04