Butler America Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"stuck"

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Butler America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

6 paid holidays per year, vision insurance, dental insurance

Cons

no vacation or sick leave

Advice to Management

offer benefits and anyone will want to work for you

"Going Under....again?"

Current Employee - Contractor Employee
    Current Employee - Contractor Employee

Pros

friendly helpful recruiters and staff

Cons

I have not been paid for the last two pay periods and all I get is guff from them. I expect I will never be paid.

Advice to Management

Run the company responsibly and make payroll

"First Job Out of College, Lacked Experience"

Current Employee - Airframe Design Engineer in West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Airframe Design Engineer in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Butler America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were nice and helpful. There are some very experienced designers working there. Overtime was usually available.

Cons

I was recruited to the West Lafayette Design Center from another state. I had one interview over the phone and then received an offer. My recruiter was very unhelpful. She gave very short and, for the most part, unhelpful. After I had filled out all my paperwork and emailed everything back to her, she stopped all communication with me. I had my start date from my offer letter, but that was it. I attempted to contact her a number of times (to get information about attire, when I should show up, what I needed, what to expect, and where exactly to go) but she never responded.

Training for the position included time to review a couple PowerPoints that briefly covered the PLM that the company uses (these PowerPoints were out of date), some time to review company policy and standard work, and to set up the various accounts needed. The PowerPoints did not begin to cover what is needed to know about the PLM to do work and the standard works are vague and unhelpful. You can set up your accounts for email and such, but most things (such as the PLM) need to be approved before you can use it. It took me about a month to get all the accesses I needed and most of the resources available were not mentioned anywhere (you only find out by happen chance or talking to those around you).

My experience working as a contractor through this company has made me want to avoid working as a contractor. Most of the work done at this center is through one company, and getting information from them or getting them to make decisions proved extremely difficult. Most of the time it seemed that I had little control over the direction of my designs and requirements were often changed as you were finishing up a design, which usually caused major changes.

There seemed to be a high turnover rate of designers there. Every indication was that most people did not stay more than a year or two. Many of the people I met ended up there after being layed-off at other companies. Overall the moral within the company was very low, nobody ever seemed to enjoy what they were working on and nobody wanted to be there.

Growth within the company did not seem existent. I never heard of promotions within the company, only shuffling between departments.

Advice to Management

Set up a structured training program. Update training material regularly. Make resources are readily known and available. Ensure new hires have all information needed before beginning. Create a new hire document with information for before the first day, for the first day, and any subsequent training days. Better compensation and/or benefits. Consider incentives and/or bonuses.

"Fleet manager"

Former Employee - Fleet Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Fleet Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Butler America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good shedule, good pay, helpful and understanding surport team

Cons

Checks where late sometimes and uniforms not clean.

Advice to Management

more training, more helpful tools to surport the guidelines of the business.

"Mechanical Engineer"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Irvine, CA

Pros

The Customer is decent and the work is quite interesting.
    The Location is excellent - Southern California.

Cons

The local management for Butler is less than desirable. People are hired on and fired immediately if the local over site engineer does not like you. They are laying off local engineers and hiring H1B Visa people to take over.
    My recommendation is to stay away and find another position.

Advice to Management

None, this has been an on-going issue for many years. If the management has not changed it, it is best for the engineer to stay away.

6. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Butler America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good job out of college

Cons

Not much training and are cheap with their money

Advice to Management

Treat the employees better so you retain them instead of high turnover rate

"Not good"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Saint-Louis (Reunion)
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Saint-Louis (Reunion)

Pros

Flexable work time. If i needed to take time off it was easy as long as i got my 40 hours in.

Cons

They didn't really care about me as a worker. They have very bad benefits. Had trouble keeping track off their money.

Advice to Management

Tat your workers with some respect. If you tell a employee that there is two years worth of work you should have more then 6months worth of work.

"Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)

Pros

Can learn a lot as a beginner. US Management s friendly.
    Good salaries.
    Work flexibility.

Cons

Hr practice is not so good. They talk about corporate policies, ethics but don't follow any of them.
    If you want to leave the company you need to serve 2 months notice but if they want to remove you then there is no notice. Immediate relieving without any pay.

Advice to Management

Hr practices needs to improve

"Poor benefits and high turn over in staff makes growth difficult"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

I worked at Butler America full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, mid management cares about employees and pleasing the customer, dedicated employees makes the work environment a good place to work.

Cons

High turn over especially of sales staff, low growth opportunities, few customers to support, old equipment, substandard working equipment (old desks, chairs etc) senior management does not communicate well, poor benefits, salary is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Better benefits, better communication, retain sales talent. Update the office with working desks and chairs.

"Comfortable place to work, but no where to go"

Pros

Scheduling flexibility and good people to work with.

Cons

Little to no upward mobility, below market pay, no benefits.

Advice to Management

They're caught between a rock and a hard place, they can't offer competitive compensation and maintain their profit margins providing contract engineering.