Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Administrative Assistant - studen worker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Pleasant and very knowledgeable staff that is willing to help out anytime. Excellent and up-to-date technology that lets you do your job proficiently.

Cons

The pay for a student worker is a bit low. The hours are varied, so if you are looking for a regular schedule you may not like the job.

Advice to Management

No advice to management is needed.

2. "Peer Tutor - Electronics"

Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Butler, PA

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is very knowledgeable and willing to assist where they can.

Cons

The amount of hours per week can vary depending on the amount of demand for the courses you are willing, and qualified, to tutor in.

3. "Adjunct"

Current Employee - Evening/Weekend Coordinator in Sedgwick, KS
    Current Employee - Evening/Weekend Coordinator in Sedgwick, KS

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small college and happy environment

Cons

Not enough full time teachers

5. "Pearson Vue Test Administrator"

Current Employee - Pearson Test Administrator in Slippery Rock, PA
    Current Employee - Pearson Test Administrator in Slippery Rock, PA

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) (More than a year)

Pros

Make my own hrs & I like helping fellow students by offering flexible schedule

Cons

Nothing negative only wish it could be full time employment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. "Excellent People to Work For"

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Butler, PA

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My Dean allows me to conduct my class as I see fit. As long as I am adhering to the class descriptions and objectives, I am free to create the teaching environment I feel is conducive to student learning.

Cons

Difficult to obtain full time status. Most of the faculty is adjunct or part time. So there are no benefits as well.

Advice to Management

You have a great school dedicated to serving students. All of the staff I have interacted with have been friendly and helpful. The lack of advancement to full time is very frustrating.

7. "Interesting and very challenging"

Former Employee - Network Support Specialist in Butler, PA
    Former Employee - Network Support Specialist in Butler, PA

I worked at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Gave you a chance to improve yourself

Cons

Didn't seem to reward achievement or recognize individual effort.

Advice to Management

Improve communications between departments

8. "I truly enjoy teaching and enjoy the small campus familiarity."

Current Employee - Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The small campus allows for teachers to know students by name and major. It also encourages communication between student and teacher, and peer to peer. I live close to the campuses and the parking is free. Classes are never larger than 18 students per class. Diversity in majors and trade education is exceptional. Excellent provider of community service. Excellent education for a considerably lower cost than most colleges and universities.

Cons

Because the college is considerably smaller than most, people seldom leave their position. Turnover is non-existent. Since they count on government grants new courses are seldom added, and existing courses are seldom expanded therefore, adding new professors to the employment roster will not happen any time in the future.

Advice to Management

They should examine the teaching talent they have in their midst, and approach those instructors with teaching job offers before seeking outside applicants. BC3 like other similar entities has an extremely rigorous hiring process and therefore, part-time talent is given no priority treatment and is forced to apply the same way outside applicants must apply. I suggest BC3 look within their own list of per diem, part-time, and fulltime employees and give them first priority before seeking outside talent. They could save time and money from advertising and interviewing by offering existing employees these positions.

9. "BC3 is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Worker in Butler, PA
    Current Employee - Worker in Butler, PA

Pros

The people are great. The campus is beautiful. They offer great benefits. Sensitive to the needs of its employees. Professional development is well-supported.

Cons

Depending on the position you are working in, the pay is not comparable to that of working out in industry.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally regardless of department, funding source for the job, education level and age. Listen to what your employees have to say.

10. "Butler County Community College is a wonderful place to work."

Pros

BC3 offers a flexible schedule, cooperative colleagues, and technical support. Also offer varied courses to teach.

Cons

I could use more hours.

Advice to Management

Upper management communicates often with faculty and offers ongoing training and development.

11. "Work Study"

I have been working at Butler County Community College (Pennsylvania) part-time

Pros

Great work experience with filing, faxing, helping other students with issues that I understand, transferring telephone calls to other staff.

Cons

At times, there can be too many interruptions with students and becoming overwhelming.