Buxton Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom Buxton

"Great Place to Work Better Colleagues"

Former Employee - Operations in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Buxton Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for knowledge share and to improve skills. Immediate management excels at harboring minds and promoting teamwork and self expansion. The upper management is coming around too.

Cons

Like a lot of sales driven companies the need for everything yesterday can put a strain on the work life balance. They do recognize hard work and try to spread the overflow though.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the ones who make the wheels turn. Without them even the best drivers won't get very far.

2. "If you want to be challenged, bring it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Buxton Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Little to no red tape. This company empowers its employees to make a difference and present their ideas so our clients can realize the benefits. We do not skimp where it counts. Expect to have the latest computer hardware, multiple monitors, and gadgets in order to get your job done effectively. If you shine, you are immediately rewarded and praised. The environment and teams are tight. It is a very welcoming and friendly work environment!

Cons

Buxton is not for everyone and we don't pretend to me. That starts during the interview process. We are an open office environment that lifts those that strive to be difference makers. If you are looking for an environment to simply show up and hide in a corner..... WE are not for you. Be prepared to contribute and make a difference for our clients and your team members.

Advice to Management

Continue to push communication throughout the building. Keep it up!

3. "Great place to grow! Interesting technology and unique company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Buxton Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Buxton for over 5 years and have served in a number of roles within the organization. After working for a number of large/Fortune 500 companies - the Buxton environment is refreshing in terms of the ability to be involved in many aspects of the company, and to be able to see your contributions directly affecting the growth of the organization. We lead our industry - which is exciting in that we are the creators of new technology and ways of thinking that help our clients across industries in successfully growing their companies.
    You will not find many companies that are as flexible in terms of the overall work environment, and as fun to work at as Buxton. Really enjoy that this is an established 20+ year old company that is growing every year - which provides big opportunities for our entire staff to grow into new roles and progress in their career paths.

Cons

I'll readily admit that when I started working for the company over 5 years ago, Fort Worth was not that exciting of a place to be. Fast forward to today, it reminds me of Austin before it really took off. The cultural scene, nightlife, and other technology companies expanding in the area (From Facebook to smaller technology startups) has created a really great scene - and Buxton is in the heart of that scene, and very well regarded/known in the DFW business community.

I will say that the pressure to perform level runs very high in this organization. Now I would expect that in most organizations, but this is another level of expectation that not only comes from the top, but also from your peers. This works for me, and most of the people that work at Buxton, but if you aren't someone that is willing to put in extra effort on projects, leave your comfort zone every now and then to try something new, or are not a collaborative individual who is team focused and making sure we all win, and not just a win for yourself - Buxton is probably not the ideal home for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the pace going - there is some serious momentum here...

5. "Exciting, Entrepreneur Environment, in an Established, Fast-Growing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Buxton Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Joining Buxton has been the best professional decision I've ever made. The company has pushed me to continually improve, and improve those around me. To strive for greatness and not be happy with mediocrity.

It is a welcoming environment, that has felt like my extended family for the last 11 years.

Every day I come to work feels exciting and different, and there are always new challenges and opportunities. We are embracing technology and evolving our solutions, helping provide our clients the answers they need to grow their businesses, from the palm of their hand, from anywhere in the world.

Finally, Buxton embraces entrepreneurs. Allowing hungry, high-achievers the ability to take chances at creating new and powerful solutions from the comfort of an established, growing, industry-leader environment.

Cons

Buxton is not for everyone. The company is a work hard / play hard type culture. Buxton expects you to give a high effort, be constantly trying to improve, and not settle. For those that win in this environment, they are very well rewarded. That creates a pressure to succeed. Some people respond very well to that environment, some do not.

Buxton Company Response

Oct 10, 2016 – Vice President of Culture

Dear Anonymous Employee - Thank you for this awesome review! One of the things that our company certainly fosters is that entrepreneurial spirit. The environment here definitely comes with pressure ... More

"New person that loves it here"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Buxton Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After going through my initial interviews here and accepting the position a friend recommended that I check out this site. There were some reviews on here that had me second guessing my decision. I've been here for a few months now I wanted to come back to this site to say that I have found it to be an absolute joy here so far! I had been searching for a great place for a while and I think I found it. The people here are wonderful.

They took the time to train me very well and provide tools I need to succeed. My job expectations are reasonable and clear. Just up to me to execute on my end of the bargain and make sales.

I'm having fun at work again! Don't let a few bad reviews scare you off!

Cons

I was used to having every other Friday off and very flexible hours. People here work 8-5:30 and that's firm. While it took some getting used to at first I've found that I'm getting in earlier and earlier but the days go by quicker and quicker. I'm enjoying my work and the hours don't feel that way.

Buxton Company Response

Dec 2, 2015 – Vice President of Culture

Dear Director of Sales - Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our company. At Buxton we do put an emphasis on training and onboarding because we know there is a learning curve ... More

"Don't bother even if you are desperate for work."

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Buxton Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small company environment which is sometimes a good thing. Benefits are pretty good, but not stellar. Free snacks and drinks. Not much else to really mention and definitely not good enough to bother with.

Cons

Everyone loves to talk and make promises none of which are delivered. They will throw a VP title to anyone with a pulse. Which give these individuals a false sense of wisdom, leadership ability, and expertise. Cronyism and nepotism is rampant. Unless you are Caucasian you will have no chance at senior management. They have no idea what diversity means.

Advice to Management

Consider diversity more closely.

"Great industry - not a bad place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Buxton Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young and intelligent operations team, decent work environment, company is an industry leader with a lot of unique clients and opportunities - not a lot of companies like this in Fort Worth.

Cons

Hours, high expectations, some recent management changes have created a little bit of turmoil - but seems to be normalizing, internal rifts between groups, training - personal growth plans, mgmt feedback limited

Advice to Management

Determine the path for the company and communicate this to organization, hold yourself to the expectations that you have for us....

"The turnover explains it all - Company of last resort"

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Buxton Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology. Likable non-management coworkers. It's great that they're located in Fort Worth. Also, you can get a good title here...

Cons

Low pay. I've seen several interview and many don't take positions here due to the low pay and poor online reviews they see. Commission makes it possible for great pay, but you have to be willing to make very little base and roll the dice. Management is insecure and ineffective. Constant change as well due to the owner's ADD-style of "leadership." This company has potential, but will never live up to it. Look elsewhere unless you have no other options. A coworker got bored one day and ran the turnover numbers - 1 out of 3 people leave within a one year period. Those numbers may be a little off, but I know that its not by much because I've seen several come and go even during my first few months.

Advice to Management

None since no one listens to anyone except the owner here

"I would continue your job search.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Buxton Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not sure there are any that truly impact the quality of life at this company. There are some very talented people left, although you wouldn't know it by the way they are treated. I guess the work can be interesting sometimes, but there is often such short timelines that you can't enjoy it. Pros? You get a paycheck twice a month (see Cons).

Cons

The pay is not great for the number of hours that are required (they say 42 per week, but I don't know anyone in operations who works that few). Before the owner came out of retirement, there was at least a sense that the employees had some value. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. Employees are devalued and distrusted.The regular employee is little more than a drain on the company's profit margin. The human resources department is literally gone. There is not one qualified person looking out for the best interests of the employees, their benefits, etc. This should be telling for anyone considering employment here. Will you get a paycheck? Yes. Will you feel good about it? No.

Advice to Management

Most employees just want to do their job well and feel good about it at the end of the day. Cut the corporate nonsense and get back to when this company was a fun, exciting place to work. Believe it or not, it was. Stop worrying about whether an employee starts work at 8 am or 8:04 am. Make no mistake, that time will be made up in spades. Focus your efforts on improving morale, and not in the cliched, let's overpay a motivational speaker way (yes this happened many times). But in a way that really changes things. How you ask? You get paid the big bucks. Figure it out.

"Buxton is great place to get a good title, but not a great work environment."

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Titles are given freely with over 10% of the staff having a VP title. Salaries are competitive and a great opportunity to learn basic analytic tools. If you can be a part of the Buxton philosophy you will be rewarded with promotions. A lot of talented people come through Buxton.

Cons

High turnover with very little leadership from upper management. Research does not meet any common statistical standards. No desire to improve research methods. Real sense of us against them mentality with employees and management. Company is more of a marketing company than a research firm. Little diversity in upper management has led to groupthink.