Buxton Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Tom Buxton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Place to Work Better Colleagues"

Former Employee - Operations in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Operations in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Buxton Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for knowledge share and to improve skills. Immediate management excels at harboring minds and promoting teamwork and self expansion. The upper management is coming around too.

Cons

Like a lot of sales driven companies the need for everything yesterday can put a strain on the work life balance. They do recognize hard work and try to spread the overflow though.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the ones who make the wheels turn. Without them even the best drivers won't get very far.

2. "Sales"

I worked at Buxton Company full-time

Pros

Good company with growth potential. Sales driven. Somewhat convenient location.

Cons

Internal politics and fractured leadership at times. Small family owned/operated. Nothing wrong with this, but if not okay with this just know going in.

Advice to Management

Make known what the vision of the company is. Know that quick change of direction and then changing again impacts people. Leadership has got to get on same page and truly be marching towards the same goal. Personal gain and opinions have to take a back seat.

Oct 4, 2018 – Vice President of Culture

Thank you for your tenure at Buxton and for taking the time to leave a review. You are right that Buxton does have great growth potential. As far as your advice to management, over the last two... More

"High Pressure Boiler-Room"

Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - GIS Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Buxton Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Modern Office work environment. Free sodas and fooseball table.

Cons

Below market wages. Overwhelming workload with churn and burn meat grinder tactics used on non-management employees.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring more employees and keeping them for longer periods of time to relieve company wide stress levels.

"Management is a joke"

I worked at Buxton Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company tries to make work fun
    My team of peers was amazing
    Product was fun to work on and the team takes great pride in their work (when I say team I mean the ones who do all the work, not any kind of management)

Cons

Management here is a complete joke. The company has no direction and even when it does have some idea of what it wants the CEO will come in at any moment and change the direction to his latest pet project. I worked with the software team. They have people in management roles that have absolutely no business managing people. There are no management skills required here, it’s more about who you are related to or who you are buddy buddy with. Upper management takes whatever the lower managers say at their word without checking in with the team from time to time for themselves. In fact a lot of management members hardly ever even show up at the office. The team regularly receives conflicting information from management which leads to unnecessary frustration and confusion.

Advice to Management

Get it together! Or replace yourselves with some of the amazing people that work for you. Listen to the people who call you boss, they are actually pretty smart!

"Company Overview"

I have been working at Buxton Company full-time

Pros

People and location are great.

Cons

Hours are not family orientated. They keep raking in the money but not sharing it with the employees in the way of raises. Upper management needs to listen to those that are driving their product instead of only going by the bottom line.

"BEWARE! Is change coming? No..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Buxton Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers (Excluding Executives)

Dress attire

Location

Free drinks

Texas

Christmas party

Can't think of anything else... I honestly have nothing left positive to say which should say something I just am required to post more in the Pros section just so I can submit this review (obviously that should be a red flag... and it is!)

Cons

THE CEO IS A DICTATOR!!!... (but the other executive's are also to blame!!!)

They ALWAYS pay employees under market value; nor do they care to try and match market value (they will just send you on your way if you don't accept)! BTW This is why so many people leave the company. However, what they need to do is the opposite and pay raises should be given to those that make the company function and stop giving monetary compensation to the face delivering the product!!!

The CEO will also push employees beyond normal working limits instead of hiring additional members to the team! (While still paying you under market value for your job). Oh yeah... You will be working a 8.5 hour shift everyday instead of 8 hours to maximize your employment while still being paid under market value...

The website portrays a certain "culture" at Buxton and to be honest it is a total joke! The atmosphere is somewhat laid back but nothing like they advertise on the website so please be careful of being promised an awesome work environment! If the CEO says that people make a great company well it's about time he started showing it to ALL current employees and not just his executive team and favorites... Stop promoting false advertising to prospective employees!

Advice to Management

*See above

Sep 6, 2017 – Vice President of Culture

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Your full review has been shared out to the leadership team. While we’re disappointed to hear of your experience at Buxton, we will take this feedback... More

"Great place to grow! Interesting technology and unique company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Buxton Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Buxton for over 5 years and have served in a number of roles within the organization. After working for a number of large/Fortune 500 companies - the Buxton environment is refreshing in terms of the ability to be involved in many aspects of the company, and to be able to see your contributions directly affecting the growth of the organization. We lead our industry - which is exciting in that we are the creators of new technology and ways of thinking that help our clients across industries in successfully growing their companies.
    You will not find many companies that are as flexible in terms of the overall work environment, and as fun to work at as Buxton. Really enjoy that this is an established 20+ year old company that is growing every year - which provides big opportunities for our entire staff to grow into new roles and progress in their career paths.

Cons

I'll readily admit that when I started working for the company over 5 years ago, Fort Worth was not that exciting of a place to be. Fast forward to today, it reminds me of Austin before it really took off. The cultural scene, nightlife, and other technology companies expanding in the area (From Facebook to smaller technology startups) has created a really great scene - and Buxton is in the heart of that scene, and very well regarded/known in the DFW business community.

I will say that the pressure to perform level runs very high in this organization. Now I would expect that in most organizations, but this is another level of expectation that not only comes from the top, but also from your peers. This works for me, and most of the people that work at Buxton, but if you aren't someone that is willing to put in extra effort on projects, leave your comfort zone every now and then to try something new, or are not a collaborative individual who is team focused and making sure we all win, and not just a win for yourself - Buxton is probably not the ideal home for you.

Advice to Management

Keep the pace going - there is some serious momentum here...

8. "If you want to be challenged, bring it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Buxton Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Little to no red tape. This company empowers its employees to make a difference and present their ideas so our clients can realize the benefits. We do not skimp where it counts. Expect to have the latest computer hardware, multiple monitors, and gadgets in order to get your job done effectively. If you shine, you are immediately rewarded and praised. The environment and teams are tight. It is a very welcoming and friendly work environment!

Cons

Buxton is not for everyone and we don't pretend to me. That starts during the interview process. We are an open office environment that lifts those that strive to be difference makers. If you are looking for an environment to simply show up and hide in a corner..... WE are not for you. Be prepared to contribute and make a difference for our clients and your team members.

Advice to Management

Continue to push communication throughout the building. Keep it up!

"Would not Recommend"

Pros

Break room if you like to play at work like a teenager

Cons

Very clickish, place is full of nepotism. If you are not a friend or family I would not work here. Horrible work environment. No career growth. Read the other review below the current ones so you can really see what it is about.

Advice to Management

Grow up already.

Oct 21, 2016 – Vice President of Culture

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your time here at Buxton. We certainly take each of these reviews - the good and the bad - seriously. You are correct that we are a privately... More

10. "Exciting, Entrepreneur Environment, in an Established, Fast-Growing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Buxton Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Joining Buxton has been the best professional decision I've ever made. The company has pushed me to continually improve, and improve those around me. To strive for greatness and not be happy with mediocrity.

It is a welcoming environment, that has felt like my extended family for the last 11 years.

Every day I come to work feels exciting and different, and there are always new challenges and opportunities. We are embracing technology and evolving our solutions, helping provide our clients the answers they need to grow their businesses, from the palm of their hand, from anywhere in the world.

Finally, Buxton embraces entrepreneurs. Allowing hungry, high-achievers the ability to take chances at creating new and powerful solutions from the comfort of an established, growing, industry-leader environment.

Cons

Buxton is not for everyone. The company is a work hard / play hard type culture. Buxton expects you to give a high effort, be constantly trying to improve, and not settle. For those that win in this environment, they are very well rewarded. That creates a pressure to succeed. Some people respond very well to that environment, some do not.

Oct 10, 2016 – Vice President of Culture

Dear Anonymous Employee - Thank you for this awesome review! One of the things that our company certainly fosters is that entrepreneurial spirit. The environment here definitely comes with pressure... More