BuyerZone.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
BuyerZone.com General Manager Aaron Bailey
Aaron Bailey

1. "Great Place To Start"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

This is a great place to start your career. Management listens and is willing to work with you. Fun and playful. Have to put in a lot of hours and hard work.

Cons

Nothing yet.I have been here for a while and really enjoy it.

"'you didn't build that' infamous Obama quote"

Former Employee - National Sales in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - National Sales in Waltham, MA

Pros

Good value proposition to both the buyer and seller 'compare multiple quotes and save'

Cons

Not always true to the value proposition, margin and revenue are paramount. Channel mix changes like the weather and affilaite relationships have severly impacted lead quality. They sell the leads to too many sellers & affiliates so buyers are overwhelmed with the response and sellers fail because they can't contact the buyer. Affiliates sell BZ underperforming sub par leads. It's a viscious and continious cycle that took me years to see.

They've burned through many top national brand client relationships over the years making growing and maintaing the existing book of business mission impossible. Plus as a rep you have to sell against the affilates that sell BZ's leads for less than you can.

When you have net new biz dev success from your efforts it will be because BZ built it, not a result of your tenacious sales skills. Mgmt wrote of my success as blue birds when only one new national signing out of eleven was a trade show blue bird

Advice to Management

Be consistent with sales compensation and employees telecommuting schedules

don't discuss other employees performance (real or perceived) to other employees during the weekly one on one meetings

Great at sales operations, lousy at biz dev and strategic account planning and penetration

BuyerZone.com Response

Jun 1, 2016 – Director, Marketing

We always appreciate hearing feedback – positive or negative. Our number one mission is to help connect buyers and sellers considering complex purchases, and that does involve a number of marketing ... More

3. "Solid"

I worked at BuyerZone.com full-time

Pros

Great staff (made quite a few friends along the way), good work-life balance, fun start-up feel, and positive energy. Overall a nice experience. Company outings were always a blast.

Cons

Could have a higher compensation, but otherwise I dont have any complaints.

Advice to Management

I dont have any advice at this time.

"Amazing teams and culture. Highly recommend."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at BuyerZone.com full-time

Pros

The majority of the company is energetic, passionate, creative thinking, and open-minded to new ideas. Overall, amazing place.

Cons

The departments that make up BuyerZone are really close and tight-knit, which is amazing. However, there is a sense of clique-ishness that has crept into the culture.

6. "National Sales Manager"

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at BuyerZone.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun team enviroment, generous comp, mgmt recognizes and appreciates your efforts

Cons

No complaints, great team, no egos!

Advice to Management

Happy with my experience, no advice, all is well

"Great environment and team, poor execution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at BuyerZone.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, company events. Mgmt tries to keep open door policy.

Cons

too difficult to move upwards or in another team. Long term career prospects weak

Advice to Management

great job on keeping the startup vibe but create more cross functional team interactions as well

"Smart leadership + valued product + great culture = best job I've had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

BuyerZone.com is a highly successful, yet under-the-radar player in the greater-Boston tech community. Because it's not a high-profile consumer-oriented destination site, but instead a valuable service provider to other businesses it unfortunately misses out on much of the local tech media attention.

I worked at BuyerZone for more than five years and most enjoyed how much our thousands of real, paying business clients valued our business. We were able to make other business more successful with our hard work, which is indescribably satisfying and motivating.

As well, the company culture and people were absolutely outstanding. The leadership was and still is smart and creative, the team is talented and fun and the overall atmosphere is enjoyable, open and "Internet-y." :-)

Because of the relatively small, but incredibly open, BuyerZonee team I was able to learn a ton about general management, basic business finance, web development, web marketing, search engine optimization and sales processes. Compared to other, more compartmentalized jobs, working at BuyerZone was like a hands-on, MBA plus tech education.

I really loved it, and greatly value the friends, business and tech skills I acquired during my time there.

Cons

While I was there, there was very little turnover. Because of the lack of turnover in the middle and at the top, it was a little harder to advance quickly through the ranks. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I suspect that since BuyerZone is now a part of a large global operation, there must be many more opportunities for sideways, upwards and diagonal growth :-)

Advice to Management

Get BuyerZone in the local press! It deserves it at least as much at the next local check-in site with no revenue!

"I loved working at BuyerZone"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

I worked at BuyerZone for three and a half years before having to relocate to a different part of the country because of a family issues. My summary:

*Great, creative, fun team* - what happens when you put a bunch of smart, funny, talented people together in the same office space? A lot of great things.

*Leading edge marketing* - the team I worked on did marketing reporting, analysis and projects that no other company I worked for even came close to. BuyerZone is a leading search engine marketing powerhouse, with innovative approaches to managing a few super huge paid search accounts. As well, it is a leader in search engine optimization best practices. I learned ten-times more about online marketing here than at any job I had prior to BuyerZone.

*Communication, communication, communication* - a very open community where teams are encouraged to emphasized communication between departments and senior management communicates everything of importance about the company.

*Reed Business Information (RBI)* - I experienced both BuyerZone as an independent company as well as a couple of years under RBI. Although we very much enjoyed the excitement of being an independent dot com, the additional growth opportunities and "insurance" of being a part of a larger organization were a welcome addition. Since RBI is primarily in England, BuyerZone still feels very much independent. Joining RBI, however, provided a lot more technical, legal and financial resources, as well as a bunch of opportunities to work with sister companies in the US and abroad. It was a very exciting change.

Cons

BuyerZone, like every other company in the US, has had to deal with a troubling domestic economic climate over the past few years. Because our livelihood depended intricately on the livelihood of thousands of other US businesses, the worst economic times were even more stressful. Fortunately, great customer service plus real value delivered plus made this navigation easier.

Advice to Management

Encourage more formal job-sharing or cross company consulting and travel within the Reed Business Information network. Encourage the RBI senior management to do the same at the other companies.

"A company that embraces teamwork and collaboration!"

Current Employee - Front End Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Front End Engineer in Waltham, MA

Pros

If you are looking for a work environment with no egos, that embraces collaboration and teamwork, BuyerZone is the place for you! If you are looking for a company that values its employees and offers great opportunities for career development, BuyerZone is the place for you!

I started out working in the Web Development department at BuyerZone. Shortly after I expressed interest in doing higher level development, I was offered the opportunity to move to the Engineering department. This is a company that will rise to the challenge if you ask for more.

Our agile development environment, close-knit team, and skilled leadership make this job exciting and rewarding on a daily basis.

Cons

Anything that isn't handled internally, for example IT support and purchasing, must go through the parent company of BuyerZone and is subject to many levels of red tape, hassels, and delays.

"I couldn't be happier with my years at BuyerZone."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Pros

- You're given opportunities to grow and advance your career
    - The company makes a makes your professional growth a priority
    - Gain a deep understanding of what it takes to run a successful internet company
    - Employees are recognized as the keys to success and are treated as such
    - A fun, laid back office culture
    - Extremely informal dress code. It's casual Friday, everyday.
    - Competitive pay
    - Great health/dental
    - Owned and backed by a massive public company

Cons

The location isn't ideal. While it's in the 128 corridor (known as Boston's Silicon valley) it's still about 20-30 minutes from Boston.

Advice to Management

Just as you always have, continue to reward creativity, hard work, teamwork and results with increased responsibilities and opportunities.