BuzzBee Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Seattle, WA Area

3.6
Michele Bourdon Keeffe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Love the beehive, not sure why all the fuss in other reviews"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BuzzBee part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, inspiring and neat projects.

Cons

Employees that whine and bring down morale.

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in good people and clients

May 10, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for being a part of the hive! More fun projects and clients in the pipeline, stay tuned.

"Toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at BuzzBee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-A decent place for juniors to get their foot in door, just don't stay too long. Along the way they'll also find out what it's like to work under a hostile, incompetent, dishonest, and borderline-neurotic boss so they know what to avoid in the future.
    -Most of my colleagues were intelligent, hard-working and kind

Cons

Simply put, working under Michele Keeffe was brutal. One moment she would be singing your praises and the next she would rip you to shreds. The last straw was when she told everyone in upper manager that they needed to write a positive review on Glassdoor. No joke. Personally, it took about 1 year to undo some of the emotional/psychological damage I sustained in that environment and I know I'm not alone. Whenever I meet up with my former colleagues we inevitably end up sharing war stories of our time at BuzzBee. It's almost like therapy. Please, do yourself a favor and find another place to work. It will add years to your life.

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BuzzBee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment, flexible work schedules, employer paid healthcare, Great Management & amazing CEO. BuzzBee is the best company I have had the pleasure to work for.

Cons

Being such a small agency, you have to be nimble and be prepared to wear many hats. If you are bad at multitasking, this is not the place for you.

May 10, 2016 – CEO

We love team players and great attitudes at BuzzBee!

"A fun roller-coaster"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BuzzBee full-time

Pros

This is a top notch agency and agency work at it's finest. This means that when clients call we roll up our sleeves to deliver amazing creative - regardless of the size of the project. It's great to work with a bunch of smart, driven, creative problem solvers who don't mind having a beer now and then. The CEO does a good job of bringing us together for food and drink once a month to stay current on trends and other stuff both inside and outside the company. Dog friendly. Cool office. Good coffee.

Cons

Well when you're an agency clients aren't always nice and you need to be grown up enough not to take it personally. Sometimes our clients are a bit stressed and working under tight deadlines and can take that out on the world. Sometimes you have a lot of time (which is actually bad because it could means your project is ending and a new one hasn't begun) and sometimes you're heads down for days.

Advice to Management

keep on using surveys to check in and Yammer to communicate. It's the constant communication that makes me feel listened to and valued. I really like the "lunch and learn" and find it helps me understand the end to end work better.

May 10, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for the feedback. It is good to hear that we are providing a nice environment for our team.

"Great talent, great potential"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BuzzBee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This agency delivers high quality content, design, and strategy to their clients. After some challenges with personnel last year, it has developed into a lean, clean and smart organization. increasingly efficient. Great attitude and morale on team. Proud to be a part of it. Lots of opportunity for all team members to grow and contribute.

Cons

I'm really happy here. Every company has its areas for growth, and BuzzBee is no exception. But I feel like the progressions of the business itself have been considerable, and that management is listening to the input from both customers and employees to improve the overall experience.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and implementing processes that strengthen the team.

"Don't believe the propaganda reviews"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great people, but most of the good ones have left

Cons

No company strategy, no clear articulation of what BuzzBee does (mostly build low value marketing assets), lack of focus on clients and client needs, management's full-time focus is on $ (cost and revenue) with no appreciation for client service, BuzzBee CEO does not value employees - disposable, disregard for employee needs (ex. vacations), poor compensation package for Seattle-area 'high-tech' market

Advice to Management

Don't know where to start for advice to BuzzBee's single owner/CEO - be nice, take care of your employees (ever heard of the golden rule?), take some time to create a real vision and mission and define your services, spend more time with your clients (don't hide in the office and at home).

Sep 3, 2015 – CEO

Feedback is desired at BuzzBee and always has been welcome over our 15 year tenure. The technology sector is demanding and thus why agency life is so dynamic and fun. Not everyone is suited for the... More

"Making a comeback! Good things are coming..."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at BuzzBee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The small company environment allows for flexibility, creativity, wearing many hats and an opportunity to be involved in the business at many levels. Overall, I would say pay and benefits were fair, possibly even above other agencies.

I really enjoyed the ability to work from home and have a good work/life balance. A big pro to BuzzBee is that you get to work with the Creative Team with some of the brightest, smartest people in the business!

BuzzBee definitely tripped, feel down, and now is back on two solid feet as new life and new clients have been acquired. I worked at the company during tough times, but it was great to see how people formed a team and were given a chance by the leadership team to perform. Acquiring new clients have helped chance the work and has allowed for a new dynamic to form (for the better).

Cons

I was often unsure of processes because it felt like they were changing often, but I feel that was also related to the evolution of the business.

The Microsoft book of business can be a tough one and the clients are demanding, but I wouldn't say that is a fault of BuzzBee - just a fair warning.

Advice to Management

Please buy a PM solution and management tools: please no more spreadsheets or OneNotes to house information or processes.

"Exciting Place to Bee....."

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BuzzBee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I used to work for an agency that had all of it's business at Microsoft and when budgets got cut so did all of our staff. BuzzBee used to be like that and we let a large part of our Microsoft team go last year. But under the direct, yet fair leadership of Michele Keeffe, the company has been able to bring on a handful of new customers -- and those accounts are growing. The company is heading in a great direction and it is exciting to be a part of it.

Anyone who is a bit entrepreneurial and wants to know their impact every day would love it here. I know I do.

Cons

With such a small team getting the exact time off you want can be a challenge. But we've been able to work together to make this happen. We have had several departures on the management team and it's been a bit rocky. Keep working to stabilize and retain those of us that re dedicated to BuzzBee's future.

Advice to Management

Bringing in the team building of the Rower's Code has been great and has really brought us all together. We want more of it. Keep the communication lines open and continue to create opportunities for growth. And do keep bringing in the really creative premium content work. We love it.

"Great group of hard working, talented professionals!"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BuzzBee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team at BuzzBee is one of the best I've experienced in my career. It is a group of genuine, kind-hearted people that are always willing to rollup their sleeves and do great work for our clients. There is flexibility that allows you to balance work and life. Management is reasonable, and they are always willing to consider special requests and accommodate personal needs. That is one of the perks of working for a small company.

Cons

At any agency, the pace is fast, clients have urgent needs, and we all wear many hats. Agency work is not for the faint at heart. If you thrive in this type of rewarding and exciting environment, you'll do great. If you prefer a slower pace with more predictability, an agency environment may not be right for you.

Advice to Management

I've seen great strides forward in opening up communications across teams as well as up through senior management. Keep it up, and continue to find ways to open up communications channels and listen.

"Look elsewhere, you won't regret it."

Former Employee - Account Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at BuzzBee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large client brands - tons of opportunity to learn how larger clients work.
    Most of the people are wonderful - from the Directors down there is a sense of team.
    Good office location - Lots of new restaurants, and evening activities.

Cons

You can never trust what CEO Michele Keeffe says - She will say one thing and then the next day do something completely different.
    You will be belittled and held down, no room for growth - There is a mean girl mentality at the office that is like no other, if you want to play the games you could do well, but only if you are bringing in revenue and the right type of revenue - which is never defined.
    Manipulation is a guiding principle for the agency.

Advice to Management

Add a new acting CEO, or have a President who leads the firm. Let the people who were hired in showcase their talents. Don't put people into boxes that they don't know, nor want to be in. Know where the business is going - it is 2014 not 2000.