BuzzFeed Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jonah Peretti

Pros
  • Always experimenting, great work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Free lunch 2 days a week, free breakfast one day a week (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Very bad/useless managers who won't hesitate to throw you under the bus due to their poor management (in 7 reviews)

• Still going through some growing pains (in 6 reviews)

1. "great company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Pay is great, company is very efficient and organized. The office is run very well, and treats everyone to amazing snacks while working!

Cons

Really cant thinking of any

"we called it the video factory"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relative creative control, tons of free food and booze and the "older" producers over 30 are okay. Work here a year or less then jump to higher paying opportunities.

Cons

Laughable pay. It's like high school except all the youngest and most immature kids are the most popular. They're full of opinions and demand everyone listen to theirs, first. Management nods their head in agreement with them, compliments them way too much, and promotes them extremely quickly, though asks the experienced few to just go with the flow and teach them the things we know. Pretty sure management was sleeping with some of the kids.

Advice to Management

You hire experienced pros and ask us to teach the unskilled, cheap labor while underpaying us before you replace us with even cheaper labor. So, obviously, you don't need any advice, just some morals. All you are to us is just a hot-for-now brand to put on our resume. Do whatever you want.

"Great autonomy and creativity, a little chaotic"

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits, creative people, great work/life balance, very cool office

Cons

Lacking structure, a little chaotic, everything goes

"Positive environment and hardworking colleagues <3"

Current Employee - Associate Product Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Product Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're passionate about something, you will get the opportunity to pursue it. The people you work with care a lot about what they are doing and about their teammates. There is a sense of being in this together. I spend all day learning and feel like this is a great place to work towards my (recently discovered) career goals. I feel close to the people I work with, even management, but not in a weird or unhealthy way. A lot of people here have a strong idea of what's professional and keep to it without being cold. I also feel that I'm paid fairly. I honestly think this is the best environment I have ever worked in!

Cons

I work on the tech team in NYC, and there are definitely cultural differences between departments and offices. The vibe is very different in LA, where a lot of the employees are younger creatives who are there right out of college. I'd say NYC has a more professional vibe, while LA is kind of wilder. I never feel pressured to work extra hours, but I know that is something that happens here fairly often, especially for creatives and news/editorial staff. I think, ideologically, that BuzzFeed very much wants to keep employees' passion from being exploited, but that it currently doesn't do much to prevent that (and to an extent, it seems they rely on it). I have heard complaints from my colleagues about compensation as well. I think Tech employees feel that problem less that Editorial/News/Video employees do (at least they talk about it less). There are currently company-wide projects happening to address compensation complaints, so I hope the results of those will be positive.

Advice to Management

The company is large enough that it's possible to feel a little adrift. Personal attention from managers can combat that feeling! I have personally been the recipient of a lot of good management, with my superiors interested in my development as a person and as a designer.

"BuzzFeed is still fun."

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales &amp; Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is amazing. The CEO seems to genuinely care about the well-being of the employees as well as the company, and there is a healthy trickle down effect from that.

Cons

Compensation still could be better. Could use way more diversity on the business side.

"Meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, if you can find the right group.

Cons

Very poor communication between departments and offices. Goals and overall mission of the company is unclear.

"My new favorite job"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

BuzzFeed in 2017 is a truly fun place to work. I have never been so enthusiastic to show up in an office, hang around, do good work, and push a company forward.

- We recently raised payroll globally so that everyone's salary is at least competitive
    - We are pretty spoiled with snacks, events, etc.
    - TASTY SHOOTS THEIR VIDEOS IN OUR OFFICES AND WE EAT THEIR FOOD
    - You can sign up to be cast in videos so even a non-creative role here can join in on the fun
    - Overall diverse environment with respect to age, gender, sexuality, ethnicity.
    - Great place to make real friendships

Cons

It is clear that BuzzFeed is getting better at a really fast pace, so employees who have been here longer sometime's show fatigue with the way we used to be. Things are for sure not perfect, but maturing quickly. With such a relaxed attitude here, sometimes I ironically wish we had a bit more formal bureaucracy just to have more buy-in on projects and ideas rather than winging it alone.

It is also clear that the rate of change can be a real headache and I hope our support organizations always stand on the side of employees.

Work-life balance can be hard given last-minute nature of many projects.

Advice to Management

Work to encourage networking among the many different types of people here.

"Fantastic Culture"

Current Employee - Tech in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tech in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fantastic inclusive and positive culture
    - Making great strides toward diversity in tech
    - Senior management is accessible and very receptive to change
    - Generous compensation and decent perks
    - Changes in HR over the past year have made massive improvements
    - Having a positive impact on society during a time of political insanity!
    - A ton of smart and inspiring colleagues

Cons

- The speed of change and willingness to re-org can get exhausting (I've been through 5 re-orgs in 18 months) I wouldn't recommend BuzzFeed if you're a lifer and prioritize comfort and stability
    - While Jonah and senior management are great, company vision and strategy is often nebulous and abstract, rarely translating into actionable concrete initiatives, although this is gradually improving

Advice to Management

Continue doing great work! Make that strategy and vision piece more concrete!

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Your opinion matters
    - All higher-ups are accessible
    - Workplace culture is open and fun
    - You're encouraged to become a digital industry expert
    - The digital industry is constantly changing and you're challenged to innovate
    - Amazing benefits
    - Access to the most creative minds on the Internet
    - All ideas are welcome
    - Real-time audience feedback informs our successes / failures

Cons

- Imbalance of liberal / conservative voices (take a wild guess which way BuzzFeed skews, haha)

"Net positive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a really fun, collaborative place to work. Internal movement is encouraged. And the perks and benefits are really good -- whenever I think about leaving, I realize how good we have it!

Cons

Still going through some growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees.