BuzzFeed Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Jonah Peretti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance -- they threw together a carnival for us this summer (in 12 reviews)

• Free lunch 2 days a week, free breakfast one day a week (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Company is expanding so fast so there are natural growing pains (in 7 reviews)

• Middle management was a nightmare (in 7 reviews)

1. "People Friendly Place"

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

Career opportunity, occasionally work from home, paid time off.

Cons

Don't have much to say about this.

"Diverse AF"

Current Employee - Junior Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I left my former job because I felt like I was driving into a dead end as a woman of color in a very white and male-dominated creative industry. At BuzzFeed, the hype is real. I feel a real sense of community and feel confident every day that the company has a real commitment to diversity.

Cons

There are still plenty of growing pains as this former startup settles into being an international company with a huge staff. As a result, it can be easy to be lost in the crowd -- you really need to seek out a mentor and your "people" actively, as if you were in college as a freshman again.

"Playing favorites... if you're not in the "cool club", you don't stand a chance."

Former Employee - Branded Video Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Branded Video Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great community of creatives. Very diverse. Loved my co-workers. Free coffee snacks and some lunches. Actual fun creative work can happen. Great place for the young and just-out-of-college.

Cons

Higher ups and management totally play favorites, even though those workers often slack off while the others bust their butt. People often get fired with no warning. This creates paranoia and unease in the office. Don't even think about doing any creative video work on the side. They own you and your work while you are there. Groups can be click-y here. Feels a bit like high school. If you're over 30, you feel old. Also, HR is there for your bosses, not for you. They will not have your back. It took multiple women to complain (over a year) about a harasser before he finally was fired.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more. Give more women an opportunity to direct and take the lead. Ask employees how they would like to grow and ask what they would like to learn and then nurture that.

"Fantastic, supportive environment"

Former Employee - Associate Data Scientist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Data Scientist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of creative people, and everyone is super welcoming/respectful. Great company culture.

Cons

Goals are loosely defined in some positions.

"Great experience on BuzzFeed tech team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm on the tech team so my comments are most relevant for that department.

- Culture: The people on the tech team are fantastic. For the most part folks are approachable, helpful, and hard-working. The tech team (and BF as a whole) cares about inclusivity and diversity, fostering a culture where I feel like I can really be myself at work. Work/life balance is also good.
    - Leadership: I've been really impressed by Jonah & tech leadership. They handle the constantly-shifting priorities with clear communication that makes me feel confident in what we're doing.
    - Just being BuzzFeed: the people here are hilarious, there are celebrities walking around, and it's just a fun place to be every day.

Cons

- Because we adjust our strategy so frequently, it's easy to feel adrift and unsure what's going on.
    - Wish we had 401k matching

"Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and fun work environment. Flexible work hours. Good benefits (healthcare, discount on gym, retirement, etc.) Snacks / free drinks, and catered lunch twice a week. Strong sense of community (a good amount of ERGs).

Cons

Compensation below market value. Not very diverse (but working on it). Management positions mainly filled through nepotism and favoritism. Bureaucracy and mismanagement often hinders the process of creation. Lots of reorganization for what seems to be the sake of reorganization.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting from within. Attract seasoned talent from outside the company to fulfill high level positions. Just because someone is good at their job, doesn't mean they will make a good manager.

7. "Warning"

Former Employee - Editor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Editor in Washington, DC

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch, snacks and coffee

Cons

Horrible management in way over it's head

Advice to Management

Retire

"The Upside Down"

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

BuzzFeed has the great environment you would expect out of a digital company: food, parties, perks.
    There is a direct openness with the CEO and leaders that's admirable.
    There's a lot of creative freedom and the content you are making is likely more fun than other companies.
    Nearly every person here is incredibly kind and talented.
    If you are early in your career, this is a great place to grow and learn.

Cons

Sigh.

BuzzFeed, you had so much potential. Why? Why are you destroying yourself? You on drugs?

When I read reviews with employees who complained about being overlooked for promotions in favor of less qualified people, I thought, "You jealous." Man, was I wrong. I've seen it firsthand time and time again. BuzzFeed actively promotes unqualified people for roles they have no business doing. Every few months there's a new and dysfunctional re-org: "Hey, staff of ____ department, meet your new boss! They have no experience in _____, but they saw a TV show about it once. They look forward to having those who earn half their salary teach them. Let's give them a big welcome!"

So, how do they get there? Nepotism. Say it again, ow! N-E-P-O-T-I-S-M. I've never seen such transparent nepotism. I could go on for hours, but some decisions made waves within the company and even former employees are texting me like, "What?! I heard they promoted that lousy employee over that other talented person who has a proven track record of success. That's insane!" Yes. Yes it is insane. The details sound like lies because they are so unbelievable.

BuzzFeed's business side needs serious help and they are actively choosing unqualified people to lead the company. When this doesn't go well (you've read the news), hardworking employees lose their jobs, not the leaders who ran it into the ground.

Morale is in the toilet, and nearly every employee I know is looking for a new job.

Advice to Management

Please, please consider when respected employees & leaders come to you and beg you not to make specific decisions. Maybe, just maybe, they are right.

9. "Cool place to work at but not much mobility"

I have been working at BuzzFeed full-time

Pros

Free food, cool office, good work-life balance - very lenient on pto and sick days,

Cons

Not much upward mobility, poor pay, I feel like most people don't enjoy working here

Advice to Management

Pay more that way employees won't leave by the droves

10. "Jr. Felloq"

Former Employee - Junior Fellow in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Fellow in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at BuzzFeed full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back work environment. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

The company is going under. So many people got laid off.

Advice to Management

Do your job.