Bydesign Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Ayscue

1. "Commissions Team! Fast paced Environment & Great People!"

Former Employee - Commissions Analyst in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Commissions Analyst in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bydesign Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at Bydesign. Great work atmosphere, Great people at all levels of the company. Always surrounded by passionate people having hunger to learn and explore. Lots to learn from the team. Interesting Projects, Great Support. The environment and work culture is very friendly. Free pizza once a month, Paintball, Group Activities. Your day is never the same as the day before. You are constantly learning something new no matter how long you have worked here. Senior Management is totally supportive and helps in all aspects.

Cons

Pay isn't the most competitive. My experience here has been nothing but an enriched learning experience filled with awesome people.

Advice to Management

Give good compensation to people who are performing very well and continue to identify the best in-house employees for new roles.

2. "ByDesign Review"

Former Employee - Client Support, Training Development in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Client Support, Training Development in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bydesign Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Within each department there is a solid team that works together to problem solve and analyze information together. It's easy to get help as you learn, and there is so much freedom to teach once you have learned! There are many ways to grow within the company, move departments until you find where you flourish, and the work is challenging, where other companies may make work feel monotonous. Here, it's fast-paced most of the time, and it's enjoyable work. There is good communication throughout the company with weekly newsletters, and work events that occur throughout the year to develop a more familial atmosphere at work. If you're going to spend 8 hours a day at a job, it might as well be something you like to do, in a place hat fosters good relationships. That's what I found at ByDesign.

Cons

There is currently no management over the starting position of Client Support, so there is more of a drop in communication lately between management and staff. Once this spot is filled, and filled well, then I really can't see any cons. My only reason for leavin ByDesign was a career change, otherwise I would have stayed for the majority of my career life. I thoroughly enjoyed working there.

Advice to Management

Continue to make time to foster communication in each department. Good communication leads to less frustration when working on interdepartmental projects. Keep running events that bring your team together, because out-of-work relationships will help grow the inside-of-work communication.

3. "Application Developer"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bydesign Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a developer, we are able to utilize some bleeding edge technology with Bootstrap, AngularJS, KenoUI, MVC, and Entity Framework.

Cons

The a fore mentioned new technology that is only known by a few with the new development is then given to someone whom is not familiar with the features has to deal with coding issues within a fixed time frame.

Advice to Management

With the frequent stream of new clients that are signing contracts and coming on-board, I don't see any change in policy that would alter the method of work in the short term. Career opportunities aside with the ability to use new technology, I don't see any room for upward mobility short of someone leaving.

4. "If you really need an IT job"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Tampa, FL

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Adding more words to meet minimum.

Cons

The owner requires you read a part of a book by some work relationship "guru" and you are required to discuss where you fall into "categories" with other new hires. I almost walked out over this. The environment is CYA. Benefits are below average. No bonus program. High attrition rate.

5. "No Thanks"

Former Employee - Customer Service, Computer Programmer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service, Computer Programmer in Tampa, FL

Pros

Fellow employees are friendly and most are supportive; it's also fairly easy to get hired though you may not get the position you applied for. The offices are nice.

Cons

The company expects new graduates in programming to work in customer service positions for 6 months to a year with low pay as a substitute for proper training. The problem with this is that what makes a person successful as a computer programmer are not the same skills that make them successful in customer service. The software itself is archaic and pieced together without proper documentation which makes either position difficult to master. Also, the CEO expects volunteer work; i.e. moving servers on a Saturday for no pay. Instead, the owner takes the people who (are expected to) "volunteer" for this to breakfast. The owner never came over to my house on the weekend to help me with household chores in exchange for a meal :)
    Witnessed client turnover that prompts one to wonder if this company will be around in 5 years.

Advice to Management

My advice would be more training, hiring for the position that the employee will actually be doing, and more responsiveness from the CEO. Less micromanaging and more listening. Company culture is set by the owners; they espouse Christian values and use this to their advantage intimating that God is directing and protecting them. Diversity and tolerance training are would be of benefit.

"The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth......"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bydesign Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people were nice and some very talented. Work/life balance was not too bad and the company did like to do outings/events (although it usually involved employees paying for some portion of the event). My immediate manager was awesome - a real professional. You get three monitors.

Cons

Where do I start. The company has no idea how to run a business. Every week (no joke) they are changing some process or re-organizing their internal structure. You have to track every minute of your time as management reviews your entries and will ask questions if you take too much time on a ticket. They monitor your phone, IM and emails. The entire senior management philosophy is built on mis-trust, disrespect and undermining of the middle managers. One Director has been there 9 years and is despised by EVERY employee but is still a Director. The other director is only out for himself and will throw any of his subordinates under the bus. If the owner had one ounce of good leadership skills he would rectify that situation.

The technology is archaic - a lof of classic ASP. No effort to re-invest and innovate but to put band-aids on their existing code. Every week there are about 100 new defects that come through support. Absolutely no emphasis on quality - its all about how fast can you turn it around. They gouge clients and nickle and dime them to death. They also try to convince clients certain issues are not defects (like a button that has no event wired up). Really? I click this button and nothing happens and that is not a defect?? They treat their customers and employees like MIke Vick treats his dogs.

They have lost some big clients and a number of existing clients are unhappy. Jeff (owner) is a smart guy but has no leadership skills. He is abrasive, arrogant and the most distrusting person I ever met. It is utterly mind boggling that the company has been as successful as it has. I just don't see how that is sustainable into the future.

Advice to Management

I have a lot of advice but they won't listen so I am not wasting my time.

7. "Very fast growing company"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bydesign Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is growing and has done amazing things. They take care of their staff and do special events.

Cons

It is fast paced and sometimes you get pulled in different directions

Advice to Management

Keep aiming high

"BEWARE!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Bydesign Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot of life lessons. There is a LOT of talent at ByDesign. Some of the best people I have ever work with (excluding upper management). Everyone outside of upper management are AWESOME! People there work VERY hard and are VERY dedicated. That is the ONLY reason ByDesign is still in existence.

Cons

The only way I can describe the President and the "Owner" is that this team reminds of the mean girls in high school. They do things like...have someone interview and hire their own replacement without them knowing that the person they're interviewing is their replacement. They flat out lie to their employees and pit them against each other. Even people that think they are in good graces with the President and the Owner get attacked behind their backs.A couple managers have no problem talking openly about the "eye candy" in the office. Certain managers tend to blatantly treat other people extremely different from each other and have major issues being challenged. They will work you to the bone and then throw you away.

Advice to Management

Refrain playing people against each other for personal entertainment. Stop accusing
    employees of indiscretions when upper management does and says things so much worse. Value and respect your employees.

9. "Company"

I worked at Bydesign Technologies part-time

Pros

Good Company to work for and lots to learn from the team

Cons

Too bad the team is not looking to expand

10. "Not my cup of Tea"

I worked at Bydesign Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people in non managerial roles and good job responsibilities that will prepare you for other roles.

Best table tennis playing contingent short of a high level table tennis club I have dealt with in professional and personal life.

Cons

Training was laid out well but felt rushed. The owners to me were aloof a bit and made fun of my interview nervousness due to Anxiety. I never really felt comfortable there after this fact.

Pay and benefits are subpar.

Product was running on archaic technologies during my time there.

Lots of potential that remains to be unfulfilled. So much talent that I feel would flourish elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Sell to someone who will run the business with a more welcoming environment.