Byer California Reviews | Glassdoor

Allan Byer

1. "Patternmaker"

Current Employee - Pattern Maker in Vernon, CA
    Current Employee - Pattern Maker in Vernon, CA

I have been working at Byer California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I work with is really friendly and helpful. Most co-workers are a lot older and have been with the company for a long time so they are fantastic teachers if you really want to learn and ask questions. I get to work at a comfortable pace and deadlines are realistic/achieveable. I'm not told to work Saturdays I'm asked if I could possibly help out and I've only been asked once in the year that I've been here. Benefits are good and taking time off is easy. No strict dress code in the LA building (unlike SF)

Cons

I've heard that there aren't very many raises given and that there is no room for growth because no one leaves. Im not 100% sure this is true, these people have to retire one day but we'll see.

Advice to Management

None, I love my boss :)

2. "TLDR: No communication, no desire to change"

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Byer California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family oriented business, President is in the office every day

Cons

Almost zero training as a new hire, no seasonal/market calendar, little organization, no team meetings, very little communication from senior positions to assistant level, strict dress code that's superfluous and irrelevant to industry, not an easy commute, no desire to change or adapt to changing industry standards.

3. "Good first out of school job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Byer California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free parking
    Gym discount
    Vacation days
    Dental benefits
    Health insurance
    Good company to get experience in the industry
    Friendly coworkers

Cons

Very little training. Your on your own or co workers will
    Help you figure stuff out.
    No room for growth. People have been in the same position a very long time.
    No company culture
    Low pay for city living

Advice to Management

Take care of your workers. And pay them a salary that they could actually live off.

4. "Good Entry Level Job"

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Byer California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Own Parking Lot, Discount to Fitness SF

Cons

Long hours, extremely stressful, no overpay.

Advice to Management

Should have scheduled yearly evaluation, and not wait till the employee to set up an evaluation.

5. "Stable, well established company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Byer California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, generous PTO, good benefits.

Cons

Pay at the junior management level doesn't approach San Francisco median income. The human resources department is very limited. Company policies, such as dress code, are unclear. Company culture is a bit stodgy.

Advice to Management

Create an employee manual, institute a review process.

6. "Old fashioned company with little room for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Byer California full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, 401, profit sharing, and vacation days are generous. No lay offs and a very stable company which isn't always easy to find in the fashion industry.

Cons

Older management and older way of thinking and doing business. Many have been in their positions for 20-30 years do things the same way they have been for years even though the world around the company is changing. Also makes it hard for growth with the company when no one leaves. Upper management is all male and that's intentional. Very little work life balance. Work load is completely insane. Required to work Saturdays sometimes with a few hour notice on a Friday. Raises are rare and minimal when they do happen. No reviews because they believe if they give reviews then you will ask for a raise.

Advice to Management

Change with the times. The world around Byer is changing yet we continue to do business the same way. Put some younger people in top management that might bring a fresh approach to the business. Treat your employees like they actually have a life outside of work.

"STRESSFUL and two sided."

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Byer California full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great potential to learn. Chances are given to people with little experience.

Cons

Minimal training. You have to rely on coworkers to answer questions and help. If you are in merchandising, there is no work/life balance. Huge work load and not enough help. Extremely stressful environment. Management plays the blame game and does not take responsibility for their actions.

Advice to Management

Longer training would lead to more confident staff.. Maybe there wouldn't be such a high turn over rate if management took more responsibility.

"Great place to learn"

Former Employee - Spec Writer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Spec Writer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Byer California full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- 3 months of training is great for someone new to the industry

Cons

- little room for growth

9. "A few hiccups, but great experience"

Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Byer California full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to gain experience is nearly unheard of in my industry. In IT, most want to jump from Help Desk to Systems Administration. It suffers from the same issues a college graduate would, most places want experience to administer systems, but you can't get experience without the job. Byer affords you the opportunity to be hired as Help Desk, and with time learn Systems Administration. You won't be doing it right out of the gate, you have to learn the basics first, but I don't know of any other company that let's you touch production systems as a Help Desk employee. Your opportunity to grow and learn is nearly limitless. It has to be reined back at times (can't risk the production environment; this is a mission critical environment after all) but the fact that you can explore just about any specialty that fancies your interest is unprecedented. This is a medium sized business, so you may not get to touch the really high end stuff (we don't have the really high end stuff), but you can easily build a VERY solid foundation in just about anything you like. Storage, Windows server, AD, a little Linux, a little software development, what have you.

A lot of us in tech have a difficult time interacting with people. We understand computers more than we understand people. At this company, you get a chance to interact with a LOT of people, learn a lot of personalities, learn how to satisfy the customer. You are bound to make mistakes along the way, and management will generally understand. The one thing I can say, make sure to talk to your direct supervisors as much as you can. Don't be afraid to let them know of your concerns, desires and experiences. They understand that not every interaction is going to go well. This is a high pressure environment, so I've seen more than a few people crack under the pressure. Don't quit, it's highly unlikely they'll fire you and you have nowhere to go but up.

Cons

Management can be constrictive at times, sometimes it seems like for no reason, but keep in mind, their decisions are above your pay grade. I'm actually trying to describe a con here, but I don't think I'll be able to do so. The pressure can be very high at times. Sometimes it seems like everything is breaking, and be that because the users are not using the systems properly, or because sometimes the cost is so high to replace a malfunctioning system that the process has to be reviewed before anything happens...either way, you can catch a lot of flack from people, but I really do feel like it's a very family company, as in we are one big happy family. I know some might think I'm being paid to post this "critical" review, and let me address this question; I'm definitely the most difficult person with whom to interact, I have the most reason to be critical of this company, but Byer feels like a home to me.

In summation; the pressure is going to be VERY high, no matter to what department you are a part. Sometimes you're going to go home very late at night and with every ounce of your soul want to quit. Don't. This company makes strong people. The weak don't belong here. If that statement makes you question whether you should join the company; then you shouldn't. If you're the type that considers that statement a challenge, come test your grit with us.

Advice to Management

In hindsight, I don't have much. We, as a company, take people with little experience and build them into strong people. That can at times include management.

10. "An company that doesn't define it's customer."

Current Employee - CAD Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CAD Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Byer California full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A pretty good work environment. Not very stressful.

Cons

Too conservative and slow moving. Compensation low for San Francisco. No reviews. No raises.

Advice to Management

Define your customer. Start your own label. Pay people and listen to their ideas. There are very few women in leadership roles.