Bytemark Reviews | Glassdoor

Micah Bergdale

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bytemark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Atmosphere, dress code, people, management, snacks, activities

Cons

None that's worth mentioning in here

2. "Mobile Ticketing Tech Start-up"

I worked at Bytemark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

start-up culture
    able to establish a close-knit connection with employees.
    commuter transit card reimbursement

Cons

Pay could be better.

3. "Software Engineer"

I worked at Bytemark full-time

Pros

Bytemark is a great place to work in regards to how much you learn here. The experience was invaluable and I learned a lot from my time there. We had a fantastic group of developers and worked with the latest tech.

Cons

There was a definite lack of product vision at this company. There were no attempts to try realistically scale out the platform. It felt like we were playing catch up a lot of the time and that the majority of my time was spent trying to fix bugs rather then improving the architecture of our codebase.

In addition, the very few technical enhancements we tried to make were overly complicated and poorly architected that served as an unneeded distraction for all the developers. There is a definite need for a focused product roadmap with realistic timelines.

Advice to Management

Invest in real Product Owners and actually focus on making the product better instead of doing the minimal work to keep clients happy. Trust the developers more and always keep the long term goals in mind without sacrificing the immediate value.

And most importantly, make sure that the developers are happy with what their building and that they are not feeling like they are forced to build it. A lot of the time, I was tasked on building solutions that I ultimately new would be of little use or of such unneeded complexity. I am sure I was not the only one to feel this way.

4. "Fun place to work at!"

Current Employee - Platform Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Platform Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Bytemark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot here. People around are really smart and innovative and they know what they are doing. Really cool projects!

Cons

More work, less developers! The company should hire more developers and try retain the existing ones. Sometimes the work you do might get repetitive.

Advice to Management

The management should trust the developers more. Management should make a little effort in appreciating the hard work developers are doing behind the products.

"Sometimes, the people are enough. Sometimes not."

I worked at Bytemark full-time

Pros

The people (non management). Amazing developers. Smart, dedicated and some of the most hardworking people that you would ever meet.

Cons

Management are committed to a culture of covering their rear ends for the sake of maintaining the status quo. No sense of investment in people or loyalty. Blind to genuine problems that are only the result of bad management.

Advice to Management

Would do no good, they listen only to themselves.

"Working Hard to be Successful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bytemark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bytemark has a dynamic team that is working on some great products and projects. There is a really good connection amongst team members to achieve common goals. The company provides snacks, lunches and just a generally enjoyable atmosphere to work in.

Cons

The company needs more staff to do everything in front of it. There are a lot of great plans within the product roadmap but not enough developers to do the work. The company needs to get focused on bringing in more resources.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and trust your developers. They know a lot about what it takes to make a successful app. They need management's support when a client is demanding a timeline that is unrealistic.

7. "Great work environment, and growth opportunity."

Former Employee - Android Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Android Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Bytemark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office. Ample personal space, good snacks and team lunches. Great location transit wise as well.

Cons

Disconnect between business and sales -> engineering. Project management can be heavy handed and somewhat over prioritized. At the end of the day engineers build the product, all else is a story you tell yourself.

Advice to Management

Invest, and prioritize hiring and retention of developers. Take their estimates seriously and use them to make good business decisions.

"A really great group of people"

Former Employee - Platform Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Platform Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Bytemark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were amazingly fun. Communication was really easy, and I had a great time nearly every day I worked there. The culture was generally open to good ideas, as long as they weren't too time-consuming.

Cons

The company is outgrowing the code -- exactly the problem a startup wants to have, but when I left they felt a bit stuck in a cycle of pushing features rather than improving the platform in big ways. I'm not sure this was even the wrong decision from the business perspective, but it could be frustrating at times as an engineer.

Another problem is that they didn't have a lot of people with deep engineering experience, and it would have been nice to have more people around for technical mentorship. Again, not atypical for startups.

Advice to Management

Investing more in code quality means higher feature velocity later on. Giving your engineers more time to improve the code will absolutely pay off in the long run.

9. "Overall, great place to work at"

Pros

Relaxed environment with flexible hours, friendly employees, working from home possible, small enough that you can have an impact, collaborative atmosphere

Cons

Repetitive/easy tasks can get boring, unclear deadlines lead to a sense of always feeling behind, client pressure felt by developers, unable to handle user feedback and suggestions with regular work load

Advice to Management

Address communication issues that are constantly acknowledged. Have clear, documented plans before developing new products or features. Listen to developer feedback.

10. "Amazing opportunities"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Bytemark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, HR policies superb management

Cons

Nothing to say about it

Advice to Management

Keep going