C-4 Analytics Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Account Manager

3.4
Michael Weiss

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • C-4 has been a pretty challenging place to work (in 28 reviews)

• It is hard to quantify what makes C-4 such a great place to come to every day (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance can be what you make it (in 13 reviews)

• The team at C-4 and the results they deliver are amazing (in 18 reviews)

"This company really opened the door for my digital marketing career"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- everyone is so willing to stop what they're doing and help you learn
    - there is so much training and so much support throughout your time here
    - there is a ton of room for growth
    - did I say there was a ton to learn? This is a digital marketing agency, but you get a taste for the content, creative and paid search department because you dabble in everything.

Cons

The training department has had some turn over and has had external people in the role. The company has finally realized that it's better to have this role as an internal person who understands the value of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep believing in your staff because everyone here is amazing and only pushes each other to be the best.

"Sink Swim or Drown"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time

Pros

First month of training was intense and learned a lot. Lot of social activities. There is growth but few make it. It's essentially who likes you and how much crap you can take. Not a lot of innovation.

Cons

Big discrepancy between client expectations that they were sold on and actual marketing process.

Cars cars cars. That's all you work on. It gets boring real fast. Clients are both unfair and not very smart. A bad combination.

I say sink swim our drown. Most people at this company drown. They love to hate their job and hate their job together. A "misery loves company" mantra. The parties are fun at first, but eventually the bs gets old.

Advice to Management

Keep the learning going. Diversify client portfolio. Reduce turnover.

"Great for experience, not a career"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the best part of C-4 is the people, as many of the other reviews state. You never have to worry about asking someone for help or advice as almost everyone is friendly, helpful, and insightful across all teams (account management, social, creative, and programmatic).

Another major pro of working at C-4 is the experience that you gain. From Google Analytics to AdWords to reporting tools and client communication skills you will master a slew of programs and abilities that will make you extremely valuable to multiple employers.

Cons

One major con is the pay, which is low, even for the advertising industry. Having such a low salary makes it difficult to stay loyal to the company when working full time barely pays well enough to make rent/ mortgage each month. Unless you prove yourself by working hard and get on the right people's side your salary bump when you do get promoted will not make much of a difference.

In addition to the low salary, those in the executive suite are very out-of-touch with the rest of the company. They always ask the account management team for referrals from existing clients, but then give the AM a hard time and will often low-ball when compensation time rolls around.

Finally, there is a major problem with clients saying "jump" and the company asking "how high?" Client retention is obviously important, but management will often ask AMs to go to extreme lengths to please a client, often to the point where it has negative connotations on existing, happy clients because the goals of the happy clients have to be pushed to the side to make way for the angry client.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees and start doing what they request, don't just say you will and then sweep it under the rug. Additionally, work on expanding the scope of the agency outside of automotive (and no, this does not mean just one or two account managers that have "non-automotive" clients) as this would make the agency much more appealing to a wider group of people.

Finally, and most importantly, the company is hugely profitable, start compensating employees like it is.

"Don't Believe the Positive Reviews, The Company Is A Trap"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The singular pro about C-4 is the people. The entry and middle level employees are nice and caring, for the most part.

Cons

- C-4 has a well known reputation of implementing the burn and churn method and treating their employees very badly if they decide to leave. I have had numerous people within the marketing industry and recruiting/HR industry give me this feedback.

- They specifically target recent graduates with no other full-time work experience. They take advantage of their naivety by offering low pay, overworking them, and then forcing them to drink the Kool-Aid. It was incredibly heartbreaking to see so many young employees being taken advantage of without even knowing it.

- The company has written numerous positive reviews for itself on Glassdoor. You'll notice that brief, vague positive reviews will pop up after anyone leaves a negative review. They also force anyone they fire to sign non disparagement agreements and will call you if they think that you violated that by posting a Glassdoor review. Only the few individuals who left on their own terms are allowed to leave reviews without fear of legal retribution.

- Your seniors and superiors will go behind your back to complain about your performance without bothering to address any issues with you first. This list of complaints and your track record of any errors will be used against you whenever they see fit.

- They will lie to your face during your interview. I specifically asked if I would be allowed to choose what industry I'd be working with and they promised me I would. They did not tell me that 99% of their clients are car dealerships and that the handful of non-dealership clients are handled by one employee and him alone.

- Other red flags include being a marketing agency with no work examples on their website and the fast interview process (they will literally grab anyone available to interview in that moment).

- The other departments (creative, social media, content, paid search) are treated terribly by client services. They are constantly blamed for mistakes while client services never owns up to its own internal issues.

- They claim to be transparent and welcome feedback but you will be punished if that feedback is negative or critical of the culture/work practices.

- They have started implementing a write up policy where you can be written up for ANY mistake. When asked about the consequences of the policy or how differing mistakes will be weighed, we were told, "We haven't thought that far out yet."

- The pay is terrible. There is no set range for each position and many people have had to threaten to quit to receive the raise that they deserve.

- Upper management is passive-aggressive and treats their employees like children. Passive-aggressive emails with all caps or copy-pasted definitions of "immediate escalation" were sent out every other week or so.

- The company forces you to cheat on all of your Google certifications. We also cheated to "win" the Bing Pro Derby.

- The company goes to great extremes to cut corners to save money. Once the company got too large, they stopped ordering pizza for the weekly "Lunch and Learn," swapped out the Kleenex and paper towels for poor quality replacements, and refuses to buy basic office supplies.

TLDR; Please, PLEASE, think long and hard before working for C-4 Analytics. It is an incredibly toxic environment with a terrible work-life balance. You will be punished and criticized if you cannot handle it or don't drink the Kool-Aid. All the while, you will be treated like a child and receive very low pay.

Advice to Management

The only way that this company could truly change for the good is for the entire upper management to quit and walk away. However, that will never happen because they are too concerned with their newest fast car and padding their pockets. I really see no other way for this company to see positive change.

"Great Environment, Poor Practices"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA

Pros

A great team of people who are smart, willing to work hard and are enjoyable to meet with outside of work.

Cons

Senior/ Executive Management has poor practices. They do not see the value of their workers and don't believe in hiring when needed.

Advice to Management

Care about the people who make your business what it is, people coming and going is not sustainable. The employees are trying to make C-4 a better place, not worse.

"Great and rewarding company to work for! My best career move yet."

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think this is one of the best decisions that I could have made to work here. The range of skills and responsibilities that this job provides is unparalleled. The environment is fast-paced, and I feel like I am constantly challenged and growing. The employees are easily the best that I have gotten the chance to work with and the level of collaboration is amazing. Every employee is more than happy to help the other with tough projects, basic tasks, or client meetings. Management is helpful and usually tapped into what is going on on the ground and helpful with nearly everything. Account Managers have an opportunity to work independently or to seek help when necessary. Given the wide range of services that the company offers, there are limitless amounts of knowledge that can be easily gained here, and the motivation to share new insights and innovation is very present. It's great to be working at a place that is tapped into all of the newest and cutting edge technologies in this sphere. The company is growing very quickly and is learning to better and better handle the growing pains. Although, the clients can often be more demanding than most, this is a great learn moment for anyone looking for a career in client management. GREAT PLACE TO BE!!!!

Cons

Often times the hours are long, so work life balance can be challenging. There are still many internal processes that could use innovation and more efficient design and there needs to be a bit more concerted effort to find new solutions and to implement them. Location is a small bummer - would be nice to be in the city, but it really isn't that bad. Sometimes adequate support can be difficult to come by, and there are stressful weeks and it is definitely on the agenda for the company.

Advice to Management

It would useful to look into more business development opportunities to further streamline our processes.

"Solid Agency - And They Have Hearts of Gold"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wasn't compelled to write a review during or after my term of employment, however after reading some of the reviews here, I felt compelled to set it straight. I worked for the company for a few years and then left on my own accord. I didn't have another job, but I actually had a sick relative to take care of.

My time at the company was filled with super busy days, working on brand new cutting edge strategies that at times were the first to be implemented anywhere. It was good work, and it was busy work. Then, something in my family happened and I had to go home to become a caretaker. It was not ideal, but I also wanted to save face by handing in my resignation, and not telling anyone I had to take on this task - to be honest, it was a bit embarrassing.

After I left, a group of former employees poked fun at the company for losing me, but I didn't say anything to defend myself or the company. Then the unthinkable happened. I went into major financial debt. Having no income coupled with the burden of a sick relative really took a toll on me and my family. I remembered calling the owners to talk to them about coming back, but then they did something that took me by surprise. They covered my expenses by giving me money I needed and told me when I was ready, I could come back and work for them again.

I don't care what anyone says, but these guys have hearts of gold and looking back, I not only learned a ton, but I really developed some great skills that I can use anywhere. The company is a really solid place to work. There used to be some employees there that were over the top personalities, but I guess you will find that anywhere. But I wanted to make sure everyone knew what a great company it was to work at and what hearts of gold they have.

Cons

From the minute you walk in till the end of the day, you are busy. Not everyone likes this. The office space is nice. Not sure what everyone is referring to about it being crowded, but it is an open atmosphere, so no personal calls at your desk!

Advice to Management

You guys are amazing. Sara is an amazing resource there. Keep taking care of your employees, as you did to me.

"Not Your Typical Corporate Experience"

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at C-4 for over a year. In that time I've seen some employees get promoted and others move on. The overall theme here is if you work hard, you get promoted. It's not who you know or what account you get assigned to. I have a mix of accounts from exciting to super-boring. I handle all automotive accounts - which make up the majority of the accounts here. I'll admit - it does get stressful here, however, the work is rewarding. There is nothing better than hearing your client not only hit their goals, but exceeded them. Don't expect a pat on the back from management if that happened - they expect that. Whether they should expect that from us or not is probably up for discussion, but that said, I feel I succeed here because I'm make things happen and I get satisfaction from doing good work.

Cons

Management isn't going to pat you on the back, but they will promote you when they are seeing you succeed. Times get stressful here sometimes. Don't expect a ride in the park when you take a job here.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing with the company - because our clients succeed here. But notice us a bit more when we achieve things.

"Love it here!"

Current Employee - Client Account Manager in Saugus, MA
    Current Employee - Client Account Manager in Saugus, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, this is just a great place to work. My co-workers are amazing! Everyone is very smart and focused. The hours fly by and you will never be bored. You have lots of freedom to work your accounts which is very refreshing. They hire managers from within and there 's a lot of room to grow. I'll say this, the managers are good and they never pass the buck.

Cons

The office is starting to get a little packed. It would be nice to be able to work from home more than once a month.

Advice to Management

Overall, keep doing what you are doing. Moral is great and clients are happy. It may be time to start thinking about a larger office or you could just let us work from home more. Slow down a little on the group trainings and move to more individual training sessions for more senior employees. If someone knows their job they shouldn't have to sit through group training.

"You create your own happiness"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The employees are all awesome
    -You learn something new every day
    -If you set clear expectations with your clients, they will love you
    -You can be creative
    -If you work here, you will become a web marketing pro
    -If you create a good relationship with Mike and Justin, you will have a great experience here

Cons

-The only way your design tasks will get done is if they are a "fire"
    -The automotive industry is redundant
    -There is a chance you will get stuck with bad clients

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage