C-4 Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Weiss

Pros
  • C-4 has been a pretty challenging place to work (in 28 reviews)

• It is hard to quantify what makes C-4 such a great place to come to every day (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance can be what you make it (in 13 reviews)

• The team at C-4 and the results they deliver are amazing (in 18 reviews)

1. "This company really opened the door for my digital marketing career"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- everyone is so willing to stop what they're doing and help you learn
    - there is so much training and so much support throughout your time here
    - there is a ton of room for growth
    - did I say there was a ton to learn? This is a digital marketing agency, but you get a taste for the content, creative and paid search department because you dabble in everything.

Cons

The training department has had some turn over and has had external people in the role. The company has finally realized that it's better to have this role as an internal person who understands the value of the company.

Advice to Management

Keep believing in your staff because everyone here is amazing and only pushes each other to be the best.

"Do you like where you work?"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Saugus, MA

Pros

-Excellent training out of the gate. I went through a full training curriculum. It was pretty substantial.
    -The company promotes from within, so I was given a great career path.
    -Plenty of opportunity to grow and learn within my own role.
    -The middle management is excellent here. I have a ton of support.
    -My co-workers are absolutely awesome and make coming into work every day so early. Super great bunch of people.
    -I work closely with a really great team who I have a lot of respect for professionally.
    -Upper management are serious about the company and have us going in the right direction.
    -The company not only delivers top-notch work to our clients, but they really care about their employees.

Cons

-We have a lot to do every day. Not everyone can hack it or keep up with it.
    -I don't love the open office environment, but at the same time, it's because of that environment that I love it here.
    -The clients are mostly automotive. So, if you don't like that industry, this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You have a great group of people here!

"Great for experience, not a career"

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the best part of C-4 is the people, as many of the other reviews state. You never have to worry about asking someone for help or advice as almost everyone is friendly, helpful, and insightful across all teams (account management, social, creative, and programmatic).

Another major pro of working at C-4 is the experience that you gain. From Google Analytics to AdWords to reporting tools and client communication skills you will master a slew of programs and abilities that will make you extremely valuable to multiple employers.

Cons

One major con is the pay, which is low, even for the advertising industry. Having such a low salary makes it difficult to stay loyal to the company when working full time barely pays well enough to make rent/ mortgage each month. Unless you prove yourself by working hard and get on the right people's side your salary bump when you do get promoted will not make much of a difference.

In addition to the low salary, those in the executive suite are very out-of-touch with the rest of the company. They always ask the account management team for referrals from existing clients, but then give the AM a hard time and will often low-ball when compensation time rolls around.

Finally, there is a major problem with clients saying "jump" and the company asking "how high?" Client retention is obviously important, but management will often ask AMs to go to extreme lengths to please a client, often to the point where it has negative connotations on existing, happy clients because the goals of the happy clients have to be pushed to the side to make way for the angry client.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees and start doing what they request, don't just say you will and then sweep it under the rug. Additionally, work on expanding the scope of the agency outside of automotive (and no, this does not mean just one or two account managers that have "non-automotive" clients) as this would make the agency much more appealing to a wider group of people.

Finally, and most importantly, the company is hugely profitable, start compensating employees like it is.

"A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Saugus, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company has a winning formula. Incredible people, challenging work and a fantastic atmosphere. It’s grown like crazy since I’ve been here and we had a party this year for our 100th employee. There are new faces here all the time and always something new to learn. Training is good, perks are good, pay is decent and overall the job is rewarding. Oh, and no one asked me to write a review. It’s not fake and yes it is coming after a bad one. And yes, while we are not perfect, I am still giving 5 stars because it's a great company to work for. We are all just sick of reading completely made up or really exaggerated bad reviews, over and over. This is my first real job and I love it. I’m learning so much. The Social Media, Content, Creative and PPC teams are amazing and really professional. If you are thinking about applying don’t let the negative nelly’s dissuade you. Trust me, you wouldn’t want to work with them anyway.

Cons

It really sucks being on two different floors. We are running out of conference rooms. The work from home policy needs to be revisited. Almost all the clients are in the automotive space and at least one of mine is certifiably insane. Sometimes no matter how much you work your client’s still complain.

Advice to Management

Please revisit work from home. Consider making it easier for AC’s to switch departments if they want. Let us know more about the benefits as we don't know everything that is offered.

"Enter at your own risk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saugus, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding employees that work hard and support each other. Very creative environment with room to advance and decent benefits. Employees work very hard to meet all deadlines and can count on their co-workers to have their backs. This was the best part of working there.

Cons

There is good and bad to working at every company. If you want to work for a company that does not truly value their employees and expects you to work ridiculous hours, then C-4 is your place. You are all expendable and this is evidenced by the large turnover rate at this company.

Advice to Management

Why bother. The owners only care about themselves and how rich they are getting off the backs of their employees. I hope karma catches up to both of them.

"You asked for it - you got it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have the chops and the work ethic, C-4 provides you with the chance to shine. The agency promotes from within and rewards excellence. The account directors all came from the account manager ranks. The team at C-4 and the results they deliver are amazing. You determine your own success.

Cons

Everyone says that they want to work for a fast-paced, growing digital agency with dozens of awards to its name. You asked for it, you got it. The work is hard. There are tight deadlines. The challenge is real. As above, the account directors all came from the account manager ranks. The team at C-4 and the results they deliver are amazing. You determine your own success.

Advice to Management

Our clients are winning customers and market share. They are referring us onward. Keep pushing.

"Don't Believe the Positive Reviews, The Company Is A Trap"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The singular pro about C-4 is the people. The entry and middle level employees are nice and caring, for the most part.

Cons

- C-4 has a well known reputation of implementing the burn and churn method and treating their employees very badly if they decide to leave. I have had numerous people within the marketing industry and recruiting/HR industry give me this feedback.

- They specifically target recent graduates with no other full-time work experience. They take advantage of their naivety by offering low pay, overworking them, and then forcing them to drink the Kool-Aid. It was incredibly heartbreaking to see so many young employees being taken advantage of without even knowing it.

- The company has written numerous positive reviews for itself on Glassdoor. You'll notice that brief, vague positive reviews will pop up after anyone leaves a negative review. They also force anyone they fire to sign non disparagement agreements and will call you if they think that you violated that by posting a Glassdoor review. Only the few individuals who left on their own terms are allowed to leave reviews without fear of legal retribution.

- Your seniors and superiors will go behind your back to complain about your performance without bothering to address any issues with you first. This list of complaints and your track record of any errors will be used against you whenever they see fit.

- They will lie to your face during your interview. I specifically asked if I would be allowed to choose what industry I'd be working with and they promised me I would. They did not tell me that 99% of their clients are car dealerships and that the handful of non-dealership clients are handled by one employee and him alone.

- Other red flags include being a marketing agency with no work examples on their website and the fast interview process (they will literally grab anyone available to interview in that moment).

- The other departments (creative, social media, content, paid search) are treated terribly by client services. They are constantly blamed for mistakes while client services never owns up to its own internal issues.

- They claim to be transparent and welcome feedback but you will be punished if that feedback is negative or critical of the culture/work practices.

- They have started implementing a write up policy where you can be written up for ANY mistake. When asked about the consequences of the policy or how differing mistakes will be weighed, we were told, "We haven't thought that far out yet."

- The pay is terrible. There is no set range for each position and many people have had to threaten to quit to receive the raise that they deserve.

- Upper management is passive-aggressive and treats their employees like children. Passive-aggressive emails with all caps or copy-pasted definitions of "immediate escalation" were sent out every other week or so.

- The company forces you to cheat on all of your Google certifications. We also cheated to "win" the Bing Pro Derby.

- The company goes to great extremes to cut corners to save money. Once the company got too large, they stopped ordering pizza for the weekly "Lunch and Learn," swapped out the Kleenex and paper towels for poor quality replacements, and refuses to buy basic office supplies.

TLDR; Please, PLEASE, think long and hard before working for C-4 Analytics. It is an incredibly toxic environment with a terrible work-life balance. You will be punished and criticized if you cannot handle it or don't drink the Kool-Aid. All the while, you will be treated like a child and receive very low pay.

Advice to Management

The only way that this company could truly change for the good is for the entire upper management to quit and walk away. However, that will never happen because they are too concerned with their newest fast car and padding their pockets. I really see no other way for this company to see positive change.

"Great Environment, Poor Practices"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saugus, MA

Pros

A great team of people who are smart, willing to work hard and are enjoyable to meet with outside of work.

Cons

Senior/ Executive Management has poor practices. They do not see the value of their workers and don't believe in hiring when needed.

Advice to Management

Care about the people who make your business what it is, people coming and going is not sustainable. The employees are trying to make C-4 a better place, not worse.

"Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saugus, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saugus, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upbeat and fun work environment, with many great people on board.
    Bagel Tuesdays make it all worth it in itself.
    Great Pay and benefits.

Cons

The route 1 commute can get very congested at times.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing you guys are great.

"The grass isn't always greener..."

Former Employee - SEO Analyst in Saugus, MA
    Former Employee - SEO Analyst in Saugus, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Super fun, start-up environment. Relatively lax atmosphere without micromanagement. Your peers are extraordinarily talented individuals. The owners are generous and approachable. The company was years ahead of the industry and has been insanely successfully. Because of the intense growth, promotions occur quickly and frequently. Upward mobility within the company is commonplace if you work hard and your work is noticed. It was a genuinely fun and exciting place to work and I got to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. I can honestly say it was one of the best jobs I have ever had.

Cons

There is a major leaning curve here. I was an information technology major and thought I could just jump in and learn everything in a few weeks. I thought wrong. Even though it was fun and exciting there were long hours and very stressful client accounts. I worked primarily with automotive clients and maybe one or two retail companies. I learned an incredible amount about the industry in the year or so I worked there. They were doing very complicated analytics before anyone knew what analytics was. While I know the company appreciated my work I can't say that I ever felt my clients did. While I got a ton of invaluable real life experience I eventually took an in house automotive position that promised significantly more money and upside. Like the title says lets just say the grass isn't always greener. Leaving was definitely a mistake. The company has continued its upward trajectory and sitting on the sideline hasn't been great. The new job I took was way oversold to me and I the people I worked with at C-4 went on to management positions. I actually reached out to Mike and Justin when I realized I made a mistake and although they didn't give me my job back they wrote me a letter that helped me land what is basically my dream job. I am very greatful. While I got great experience and everything ultimately worked out for me I would say the worse thing was leaving and watching the success without me. It's pretty obvious after reviewing some of the other former employee reviews that I'm not the only one that feels that way. I think the difference between my five star and their one star review is that I realize that I made the mistake to leave. Life is full of lessons.

Advice to Management

I wish you guys all the best and you deserve all the accolades and success you have earned. It seems like everyday there's another article or award and although I'm a little sad I'm not a part of it I couldn't be happier for you guys. Keep doing what you do. Thanks for everything you did for me.