C-4 Analytics Reviews | Glassdoor

C-4 Analytics Reviews

Updated Sep 12, 2019

3.7
C-4 Analytics CEO Michael Weiss (no image)
Michael Weiss

"don't work here even if you're desperate"

Former Employee - Janitor/Cleaner in Vancouver, BC

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

there aren't any pros to this job

Cons

possible injuries due to managerial negligence, low wage, illegal operations, zero standards, disorganization

Advice to Management

Read up on labor laws

C-4 Analytics2019-09-13

"Dishonest , Unethical, Dysfunctional. And now for their bad points..."

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

lots of good hardworking people are there.

Cons

Both of the owners are liars.

C-4 Analytics2019-07-17

"They will train you up so they can burn you out"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Wakefield, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

C4 has a great training program that gets people from varying levels of digital marketing experience up to speed quickly. They are at the cutting edge of many digital strategies and platforms, which they use to the company's advantage and disperse to their employees fairly effectively.

Cons

Workload Past the first 3 months of employment, or the initial training period, is when problems start to arise. As mentioned, the training program is great and during this time you will be introduced to the client facing side, where 95% of these clients are automotive dealers (this will be touched on later). While the company preaches continuing education and training, once you receive clients, many times this is... impossible to take advantage of because of the workload you receive past the training period. It is not uncommon once a client services member is placed on a team that they will work 60+ hours a week, and are expected to take work home with them after they have left the office, respond to client requests and emails on weekends and days "off", all while being compensated less than the average digital marketing strategist. It is common for employees to feel guilty about taking sick days and vacation days because of their workload, and the company, whether purposeful or not, breeds a culture where you feel your half hour lunch break should always be taken at your desk just in case a client "emergency" comes up. Despite being a digitally based company where 99% of job responsibilities can be done remotely, you are only allowed 1 day to work from home per month, which is seen as the highest of privileges and can be taken away at a moment's notice if certain requirements are not met. Attempting to work from home more than once of a month is more than frowned upon and many times denied, forcing employees to take vacation days to get anything outside of a 60 hour work week accomplished. Because of this, there is no work-life balance for the majority of employees, which becomes evident for outsiders looking in in a short period of time. As is the case with digital marketing, the field changes rapidly and is always growing. What this also means is that the responsibilities of a client services member has doubled in a short time frame, while the company provides the same or less support and monetary compensation for their employees, as their profits become larger and the people that are on the ground doing the legwork are worked harder for the same, non-competitive salary. Clients/Client Handling As mentioned before, 95% of clients are automotive dealers. These are some of the most demanding, unprofessional and cutthroat people that you will work with. While this is great practice for any client facing job moving forward, what makes it more difficult is the way the company caters to their clients without thinking about the employee. The sales team and management are constantly overpromising clients things that they will never have to deliver and then handing the work off to the people under them with no semblance or thought for their fellow employees. The client always comes before the employee at C4, and this becomes more obvious the tougher the client is. Management is quick to listen to client complaints about employees without any pushback, no matter how ridiculous the complaints may be and rarely will have the employees back. Meanwhile employee complaints are not taken seriously and are typically explained away, creating a rift between management and those under them. Management Being a company that made their money with automotive, they run on the same, thin profit margins as their clients do. Management is always looking for ways to cut costs no matter what, and the first way they do that is by underpaying and overworking their employees. Most of management has been internally promoted over the years, which from a company intelligence standpoint works. What does not work is that they were promoted based on how good they were at their jobs 3-4 years ago, not how well they do with managing people, something they were never trained on. To put it simply, the company grew much faster than was sustainable - management focused on hiring salespeople to grow the client base instead of listening to employees and giving them internal support to keep the clients they already had. When this caught up to them and they began losing clients because of the overpromising, the first thing C4 decided to do was create trainings on "client retention", insisting they were not throwing any blame towards overworked employees while also taking no responsibility for the lack of support that caused the issue in the first place. In many cases, employees are looked at much more as assets than they are as people, which furthers the animosity between management and those under them.

Advice to Management

LISTEN: To your employees when they have complaints, and look at them as opportunities to improve instead of inconveniences for you. You will actually get more work out of them if you treat them like people and have a level of compassion BUILD AROUND WHAT YOU HAVE: There are great employees still working at C4 but a lot of other experienced and tenured employees have left recently. This isn't because they... "weren't cut out for it", it's because what you are offering them is not worth the trouble you give them 1+ years into employment. Provide support and ways to make employees lives easier instead of harder and you may be able to slowdown the rapid turnover. WALK BEFORE YOU CAN RUN: Just because investors need a certain level of growth does not mean you can overpromise at every turn and forget about the clients you already have. If you can provide support and give clients realistic expectations you may be able to stop of the bleeding of client cancellations, which will actually make it so you don't have to add as many clients to make up for all of those that are leaving. INTROSPECTION: Take an honest look at those in leadership positions. Are they leaders? Do they know how to manage people? Or are they where are because they were good at a job that has drastically changed over the last 5 years? The only way to solve most of these inherent issues is to stop pretending like C4 is the perfect workplace and that those that are leaving are the issue, admit your faults, and work to correct them, no matter what the issue is.

C-4 Analytics2019-07-10

"Real talk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time

Pros

I’m not sure why so many of these negative reviews forget the positive opportunities this company has given them and others so let me help a little bit as I don’t think these reviewers have been in the professional world long enough to see that these things aren’t all common: - Annual reviews (and 6 month reviews when requested) not only are an opportunity to get feedback but also typically come with a pay increase... and promotion. Promotions aren’t guaranteed annually but quite often happen that way or within 24 months. There is not a list of open positions that people fight to get.. if you deserve to be promoted you are promoted. I did see a review complaining that the person wasn’t promoted to senior account manager and that managing people was a requirement... yes that is in the job description...Go to another company and expect salary increases and promotions as often as C-4 delivers them.. you won’t find that. Those that deserve promotions are given them and those that don’t get what they want end up on here. If you have a “why not me” attitude you aren’t going to get very far anywhere. - This job is far from a micromanaging environment. You are very self starting here and no one is monitoring your every email or move. If you felt micromanaged it might be because the job was not being performed as it should be and managers needed to step in to ensure it was getting done. Let’s be real, when you’ve checked out as an employee your work suffers and we all notice. - Reviews really saying the company and management don’t care about employees? False. Ever had a death in the family and get food sent to your house, flowers, the company showing up to the services? Going through something personal and management insists you leave early, take unrecorded time off, etc? All things I’ve seen numerous times in my years at C-4. People will see whatever they want to see but some of these reviewers are forgetting about the actions management took to support all of us in times of need. - Growth within the company is huge. Many of us started entry level and have work our ways up. The reviews talking about “favorites” are insulting. If you think people get promoted and take manager positions because they are favorites you really have no idea what goes on. I for one am in the position I’m currently in because I worked my way up, learned from every success and failure, considered the big picture of the company and am proud to lead a team who is also growing. To say me or anyone is a favorite shows the maturity level of some past colleagues. If you’re reading these reviews deciding whether or not to stay at C-4 or accept a job just remember that there’s a couple negative reviews every few years from people who leave or are let go. There’s still 200 people here and growing who have never left any review. Our retention is not bad despite what these reviews say. If you’re unhappy speak up, that goes for any job.

Cons

There’s a lot to learn and starting the job can feel overwhelming but the experience you take away is extremely valuable.

Advice to Management

This is not HR writing this, this is someone who sees where the company is going and is happy to be a part of it. What’s toxic about this job are the people that gossip in chat more than they do their jobs.

C-4 Analytics2019-06-12

"Hard work is rewarded. Period."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at C-4 Analytics is a career move. It is not punching a time card and sorting donuts at Dunkin' Donuts from 9-5. It's a tough job that is incredibly rewarding and impactful. Like many things in life, success and a feeling of ownership of the work that you do is hard work. It is not, and should not be something that is just handed to you like so many of the negative reviewers seem to be complaining about here.... A few things to point out to these people that just couldn't cut working hard because they expected success and growth to be handed to them: - Stop calling out the "common themes" in the negative reviews - There are many many more positive reviews in this thread that are written by current/former employees than there are negative ones (most were probably written out of anger at these preposterous negative reviews). And guess what? The positive reviews ALSO have common themes. Namely, that C-4 provides you with an incredible opportunity to work hard, have great working relationships, have excellent career mobility and create an impact at a rapidly growing company (among many other things). Stop trying to validate your (self-inflicted) negative outlook by pointing to other individuals who share the same shortcomings as you do. - "The only people who get promoted are favorited by management" - Stop comparing yourself to people who actually work hard. So many of these negative reviews call out the fact that promotions only happen when the employee is a management favorite. This is laughable. Maybe it's time to look inward and start thinking about why you’re not performing enough to deserve a promotion instead of looking at people who've actually put the work in to get to the next level. This is true in any business and I can assure you that the majority of people with these types of comments are going to experience this same issue at every other job they go to. Bottom line is, wherever you go, don't expect to be promoted solely based on the fact that you've been in a position for a year; it's about your performance and nobody else's. - "The work is repetitive and the clients are mean" - Again...I'm sorry, but this is just work life. Sure, Automotive clients can be tough, sure, you might end up doing a lot of the same stuff, but that is a job, most clients are tough and most jobs are repetitive. If you think that you're going to move on to the next job and not experience these things in some capacity, you are dreaming and just perpetuating your reasons to be unhappy with working. Grow up and learn that hard work is hard work and that is what gets rewarded, not moving around to new jobs until you find exactly what you're looking for. The truth is that this job is a lot less repetitive than most. If you're interested in Digital Marketing you have boundless resources and opportunities to do new things regularly and to see their impacts on our clients' businesses almost immediately. There is so much misinformation in these negative reviews that I could go on refuting each one for quite some time, but I'll stop there. Ultimately, C-4 offers an incredible amount of knowledge, support, experience and ownership that rivals any other company I've ever worked at. If you work hard here and put feedback given to you into practice, you will not only be rewarded with career movement, but you will develop skills that are applicable to working in any job for the rest of your life. It is sad that these negative reviewers feel the need to insult the people who actually earned their promotions and their ownership of the job because they were too entitled to actually hunker down and own their own development, their work and their career here. I bet that most of them will be writing a similar review for the next company they leave for the same basic components of work life and the next and the next and so on.

Cons

Free lunch on Wednesdays isn't exactly what I want to eat sometimes and that's an issue. We only get free food 2 days a week, so that's not ideal. We only have free Cold Brew, Nitro Cold Brew and Tasty Teas on tap all day every day...what if I want a 4th option?? I'm only paid the salary that I ACCEPT and that's an issue.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on making pay and benefits competitive with the job market. Give out free ice cream every day, like a real millennial company.

C-4 Analytics2019-06-12

"C-4 Analytics: An Honest Look Under The Hood"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Here's the deal - I still work here and I do like the company, I wanted to state my bias from the outset. TL;DR: I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here - that's not to say every day was peachy, but if you want to work hard and learn, this is the place for you. That being said, read the review if you want to learn anything about the company. Below is an honest look under the hood at C-4 and an answer to many... of the issues raised in the other reviews on this site. The Job: C-4 Analytics is not the place for you if you want to just land a job out of school (or anywhere else) that will let you work your 9-5, clock out, and go home. Those parts of the reviews are absolutely correct. C-4 Analytics IS the place for you if you want to learn and grow. I started here out of college and didn't have any professional experience before this. Yes, there are long hours. Yes, you will sometimes have some pretty demanding days. But now, three years later, I would bet a month of my salary that I would wipe the floor with any other digital marketer from another firm with twice as many years under their belt as I have. That's what you get at C-4. It's not easy. It will not reward you for settling for average work. But it will pay you back immensely in experience and knowledge if you put in the effort. Look at any major consulting firm. Working more than 40 hours a week isn't uncommon at all in today's job market. The question becomes what kind of job are you looking for? Home at 5:30 on the dot for a beer and TV, or a career path that will continue to open doors? The choice is yours. Management: There are ups and downs to every management team, and C-4 is no different. Remember when you are reading the reviews that call out bad managers, poor HR policies, and lack of support, those are coming from the people who either didn't make it here and were let go or were unable to make the next step and became unhappy with the place they settled. There are two points to make about the management structure at C-4 that you should know going in. 1. Some of the managers are first time managers. 2. Not everyone gets to advance, that's just how hierarchies work. 1. C-4 Analytics promotes from within. Rarely does it hire outside management talent. This has its ups and downs. The automotive industry is so detailed and requires so much specific tactical knowledge that making up that gap as someone coming in from another vertical is a very nearly insurmountable challenge in any appropriate amount of time. C-4 does its best to groom and train its managers and while it does work out the vast majority of the time, as with all people, some are better managers than others. This is absolutely no different than any other company. The quality of your manager depends on the manager, their manager, and your relationship with them. Have an issue with your manager? That's not a systemic C-4 Analytics problem. That's something your team needs to deal with - don't sit there and let your resentment fester, do something about it. 2. Another common complaint about C-4 is that "there's no path forward". Given that not one of our Account Directors (5) were hired externally, that's very clearly not true. Given that none of our Team Leads (8) were hired externally, that's very clearly not true. Given that only one of our Senior Account Managers (15) was hired externally, that's very clearly not true. The issue is this; we are a company of 200. There are right around 120 people in the Client Services department. There are, based on those numbers above, 28 management positions on that team. There is no way to ensure that 120 people get promoted into 30 management spots. That's not how meritocratic capitalism works, and try as we may, that's the system we're in. The people who can handle the workload/technicalities/people issues/client emergencies with aplomb get promoted. The people who can't, work on those skills until they can, or they realize that they don't have what it takes. Then the choice becomes accepting where your abilities can take you here or becoming angry at the system for the ceiling you've hit. Choose for yourself, this reviewer can't help you there. Bottom line: C-4 will afford you an incredible opportunity for personal growth and responsibility as well as give you access to one of the largest pools of knowledge in the digital space right now, but it's not free for the taking. You have to work hard and you have to earn it. Come here ready to play varsity ball, or you're going to be in for a tough time.

Cons

If you can't tell by now, I don't think C-4 is all roses by any means. It has its issues, as does every company. I'll get into a couple below, but the major take away is this: C-4 is a good place to work if you want to put in the elbow grease, C-4 is a really tough place to work if you'd rather just have a 9-5 that pays your bills. The Payscale: The pay scale at C-4 is hard to get around. At the outset, the... pay is below industry average. It gets much better as you get promoted, but as mentioned in the "Pros" section, promotions take work - lots of it. By your third year here, if you've put in the time and acquitted yourself well, you'll not be complaining about salary anymore, I can promise you that. The Management: You may have noticed the contradiction in my statements above about management. Those were well founded. Yes, there are some bad managers here. Yes, we hire internally and I think that's a good thing. Yes, only those that have proven themselves get the promotion. The question becomes; if those that prove their ability get promoted, why are there bad managers? That answer is not one I can easily provide as I'm one of those managers that needs work. More thoughts to come in the "Advice to Management" section. The Hours: Yes, the hours here are long. I've not done the math, but I bet if I averaged every hour I've worked for C-4 in the last three years, I'm probably between 50 and 55 hours a week. That means 10 hour days instead of 8 hour days, with a few 11 hour days thrown in there. Yes, it's hard. Take it as you will - advice to come below.

Advice to Management

This section will come in two parts, one minor and one major. The minor part is on management as mentioned above. The major part will be on company vision and will address, at least in part, many of the highlighted issues. Management: I know we're already working on this with the hiring of an internal training director to advance current employee skills, so kudos there for starting on the problem. The step... from employee to middle management is harder than anyone thinks before they make it. I think you would be well served to deepen the level of training that management prospects get on the managerial side of the aisle before they make the switch. I don't know how that will happen specifically, but I think it should. Vision: This is the core of every issue that has been presented on this website, in the eyes of this reviewer. We're at an odd stage of growth, like a teenager going through puberty and trying to figure out to do with all these extra inches in their limbs. It seems to this reviewer that C-4 is caught between trying to be a profit-oriented agency, and a people-oriented HR advertisers dream and frankly, I don't think we can have both. Are we a company that is driven, first and foremost by wanting to provide the most exemplary service to our clients, thus increasing client retention and new business and growing the bottom line? If yes, don't be afraid to say it. Don't be afraid to tell people that a 9 pm Thursday night may keep you from that playoff game you wanted to see. But also, compensate accordingly. If we want to be a company that breathes excellence and excess, give bonuses for client success, raise pay for retention rates, provide benefits when employees work extra hours. If you want the best, pay for it. Are we a company that is employee focused, desiring to create an inclusive and fun atmosphere that encourages our employees to prioritize their outside of work lives before their job? If yes, then make it policy - not just words. Set the precedent for longer wait times with clients - under promise, over deliver, right? We learn that from a client services standpoint, but the company doesn't take that position from a sales and market position standpoint. Allow for more flexibility in hours and scheduling. Deny clients that are more demanding than they're worth - the brain drain on your employees is hurting their ability to do their work on your other clients. If you want happier employees, walk the walk, don't just talk the talk. We're getting to the point of choosing. You don't get to be a Google with unreal profits and pay scale combined with fantastic employee benefits without having a product that's beyond competition. You don't earn that position in the market without real talent that stays. Do you want to earn their service through paid excellence standards or a happier, more laid back atmosphere? The choice is yours.

C-4 Analytics2019-06-10

"AUTHENTIC REVIEW- SKIP THE FAKE!"

Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing to rave about here.

Cons

Where does one even begin? There's something to hate about every aspect of this company. They've perfected covering their tracks and making disgruntled employees feel stupid for voicing their concerns. HR at this point has even gone rogue and will stick up for the spineless Account Directors, who have no business managing people. This company breaks every HR violation in the book and adheres to nothing. They... will do anything to break their employees rather than see and appreciate them for what they are- human beings. You will find that those reporting directly to the Account Directors are nothing but their pets. Those working incredibly hard, and long hours, who voice their concerns, and let out cries for help, have never and will never have someone who is an advocate. The day this place closes down, will be pure tribulation to those who have started with C-4, live, eat and breathe it, and have never experienced the real work world. Do you work at C-4 now? Do you feel guilty for taking time off? Do you work more han 50 hours a week and see no additional compensation? Has your mental and physical wellness declined? Do you sacrifice your personal goals for this company? Please leave. Do something for yourself and leave.

Advice to Management

Please just close down- do everyone there a favor, and close this sad excuse of a company down.

C-4 Analytics2019-06-06

"Don’t waste your time here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wakefield, MA

I worked at C-4 Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free bagels on Mondays, that’s it.

Cons

First of all, the recent five star reviews are all fake and posted by HR. Take a look at all the negative ones and they are all mentioning the same issues. - Everything is micromanaged. - Don’t expect to have an social life. - Bullying is not only acceptable, but encouraged among employees. - Work crazy hours and nothing is ever good enough. Don’t even try to leave right at 5:30. - Working on a Sunday is... expected. - No holidays off, need to work Christmas Eve/fight over who on your team will get it off. - Toxic environment, only care about money not the clients or employees.

Advice to Management

Maybe listen to what every single person who is giving their notice is saying because it’s all the same. Zero work life balance, toxic environment to be in, high stress and terrible pay.

C-4 Analytics2019-06-05

"You won’t be bored"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Wakefield, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great first job. Awesome social life and super dope co-workers. Generally a fun place to work.

Cons

Clients can be hit or miss. But regardless, your client will never give you credit for the hard work you have done. If they do well it’s because they’re great. If they miss a goal it’s because of your marketing.

Advice to Management

Some of your clients are terrible. There needs to be a process to identify how many bad clients are on each team.

C-4 Analytics2019-06-04

"Really good sales job"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at C-4 Analytics full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is actually quite a solid sales job if you can sell. You best understand auto before applying because the company sells into the automotive end market, which is a pretty tough crowd. If you don’t know auto, you need not apply. Luckily we have a really good reputation and handle all the #1 place dealers which makes it easier to sell to other dealers. Once the sale is done the account team takes over from there... and we are not as involved. Sometimes not at all. I am not used to this but it frees up my time for selling. Truth be told the product side of the company really does a fantastic job executing and they seem to keep clients for a long time. I’ve seen clients break records only after a few months.

Cons

The company really likes surveys and they are always sending us these surveys to fill out to see how happy we are. They are all the same thing and they are a huge waste of time. Other than these surveys it’s pretty much better and easier than anywhere else I’ve worked.

Advice to Management

Stop asking for so much feedback all the time. Enough with the surveys. You got a good thing going on, so focus on the work at hand. The sooner you realize that the better you will be.

C-4 Analytics2019-06-04