C.H. Guenther & Son Reviews | Glassdoor

Dale W. Tremblay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nice place to work"

I worked at C.H. Guenther & Son full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, driven towards world class manufacturing

Cons

Could benefit with a formal training program.

"No place to go, but out."

I have been working at C.H. Guenther & Son full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great dedicated hard working employees who attempt to do the best they can with little to no support from upper management.

Decent 401k

Cons

It appears management has a hard time understanding what it takes to run particular departments.

No room for advancement with the current structure.

If you do a good job and exceed expectation, you'll be told "you're just doing your job" from your own management.

Get rid of the "good ol' boy club" and find competent management who is able to come up with fresh ideas, values the work the employees do, and treats their employees with some type of respect.

Pay has been stagnant for years due to merit increases being based on
    performance (PMD's) that are held lower by management, PMD's here are not based off of what you do, but based off what they are told to score.

Health Insurance is very expensive here, a 2% raise is commonly a non factor due to the raise in insurance each year, you end up stagnant on pay for a VERY long time after initially joining.

When you go above and beyond consistently and everyone is told they have to do "More" in the eyes of the company to achieve above target scoring which reflects heavily on your bonus and raise potential.

Skeleton crews where you can't afford to have a skeleton crew for operations to run properly.

Lack of management direction, too many bosses not enough workers to do the actual work.

Work Life balance isn't available at CH Guenther, temporary (can you help) jobs become full time jobs for you with no financial compensation.

Salary Pay to the amount of hours you work don't match, you end up not making near as much as you think when you consider how many hours you are actually working just to keep your head above water.

Advice to Management

Grow a backbone and do what's right, stop managing expectations with nonsense.
    Show appreciation to your staff for doing a good job when they do so.
    Cracking the whip for cracking the whips sake is a bad idea.
    Promote your staff from within, stick to your core values and belief's and stop looking at the words as if they have no meaning.

3. "Great example of what "NOT" to do"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at C.H. Guenther & Son (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere (at first)
    Decent 401k
    Great song and dance to make you believe.
    When you are brought on you feel as though you grabbed the golden ring and feel as though you can really contribute to the companies success! (At first)

Cons

* When you have good suggestions and have been successful with those suggestions and or events with other companies, you are ignored by management.
    * What I was told in my interview when they hired me was not what my job ended up being in the least.
    * Executives are shielded from the reality of whats going on in the plants
    * Everything is looked upon as an excuse versus the reality of staffing needs and workload being too demanding for success.
    * Lack of understanding in the way the industry is going versus what they have done in the past to succeed.
    * Any failure from management is immediately blamed on the employee of said manager. Managers rarely take responsibility for issues at the company.
    * While I worked at CH Guenther a little over a year, I have friends that still work with this company. If i'm not mistaken the company has the same amount of staff members in vital departments now as they had when I was managing in 2015 .
    * They have grown significantly and have yet to staff up properly, causing more stress for those that have decided to stay.
    *While I worked at CH Guenther I felt stressed, over worked, underpaid and definitely underappreciated.
    They do not follow the values they set forth with you while interviewing.
    Looking back on my time at CH Guenther, I can't believe I even gave them a year of my life to them.
    I do not recommend this company for employment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more than management that is afraid to do the right thing.
    Stop shielding the truth from executives
    Take employee complaints with more than a grain of salt.
    Set realistic expectations.

"Not a place to work"

I worked at C.H. Guenther & Son full-time

Pros

none I can think of would not drive in.

Cons

no family time, long hours little pay

"associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Carlstadt, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate in Carlstadt, NJ

I have been working at C.H. Guenther & Son (More than a year)

Pros

love to make promises, and help associates

Cons

There are a lot of surprises, You don't know what to expect

Advice to Management

please pay attention to career development, job opportunity, train the ones on the floor give them opportunity

C.H. Guenther & Son Response

Jul 19, 2017 – HR Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. Our employees are our most important asset, and over the past year, we’ve implemented programs to provide growth opportunities to our team members... More

"No Room for Advancement"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at C.H. Guenther & Son full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is that the pay is decent. However considering the cost of the insurance it is really average.

Cons

No room for advancement..health insurance sucks...there is no investment in the employees. Management tends to be small minded and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Learn how to build your employees up unstead of tearing them down.

C.H. Guenther & Son Response

Jul 19, 2017 – HR Recruiter

Thanks for sharing, and we’re sorry to hear about your experience with us. It’s our intention to provide growth opportunities to team members and to help them achieve their goals. We also encourage... More

"Worst company I've ever worked for!"

I worked at C.H. Guenther & Son full-time

Pros

Benefits, My Peers, Insurance and 401K

Cons

I'm writing this in the hopes that it may help someone who might be interviewing for a sales position with this company. Management is controlling, rude, condescending and do not trust their employees. They micro-manage and do not listen to new ideas. If you are having difficulties with an account, they blame you and don't try to help. I couldn't sleep at night, was sick and so stressed! Now I'm with a company that appreciates me and listens to my ideas. I feel like I was a battered spouse at CHG that just kept going back for more. Glad I'm out!

Advice to Management

Know what you're management team is doing and fix it! Sales team is not happy.

"Meh"

I worked at C.H. Guenther & Son full-time

Pros

New office; R&D generally always has taste testings going on. Location was ideal

Cons

Company has a lot of tenure, but the mindset is "old school" as well. Work 55 hour weeks, and take 1.5 hour lunches to work out, and you can be sure someone will say something. Overtime is not mandatory, but almost expected. Salary is not on par with the amount of work done.

9. "Good job."

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at C.H. Guenther & Son (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are great if you have a family. The bonuses when given can be a big plus. The pay rate is great

Cons

The hiring process is very slow. Which causes excessive overtime for current employees. This may be the cause of over stressed and lack of effort from the employee.

10. "ok place"

Pros

great pay
    benefits are good
    paid holidays
    off most weekends

Cons

older complaining employees
    temp to hire process long