C H Reynolds Electric Reviews | Glassdoor

Shelly Paiva

1. "CHR Electric Review"

Current Employee - AV VC Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - AV VC Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at C H Reynolds Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Health Benefits. Friendly HR Staff. Knowledgeable Engineers.

Cons

Yearly Employee Review process needs work. You can easily get passed up and not get a review or a raise.

Advice to Management

A bit more attention and focus to your Engineers. Specially if they are performing well.

"Professional Services"

Former Employee - Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at C H Reynolds Electric (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent salary and benefits.
    Great co-workers.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say about this company.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at C H Reynolds Electric (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, nice people to work with. Family type feel.

Cons

Growing too fast, they need to hire more management.

"Network Engineer"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Good Company Great people to work with

Cons

No promotions or benefits for employee

"Layer 1 Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at C H Reynolds Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would say, there's alot of work so you will be able to learn and get your foot thru the door.

Cons

There's so much work and no recognition at all. Alot of broken promises and management is terrible.

7. "Sr Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at C H Reynolds Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, Smooth work Culture, Supportive Staff and HR

Cons

little more benefits would be good..

Advice to Management

Managed Services expansions

8. "Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Jose, CA

I have been working at C H Reynolds Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a great family owned company with great ethics and values. All the employees are treated fairly and get great full time benefits.

Cons

Our team is very small so it gets little isolated and disconnected.

"Hands down, the worst company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at C H Reynolds Electric full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. They get you in the door at Cisco Systems.

2. The people they hire are generally good guys, and fun to work with.

3. They offer shift differential at a rate of %10 of base pay for working second shift.

4. They offer "cash in lieu of benefits" in amount of $500 per month if you do NOT use their medical/dental/vision insurance.

5. They offer 15 days of Paid Time Off.

6. You are paid weekly, as opposed to every other week like most companies.

7. There is a good work/life balance. They do not work you into the ground.

Cons

1. Shift differential is not applied to any overtime hours you work, even if those hours are also worked on second shift. and they offer extremely low salary ranges for employees, hovering on being below fair market value. There is some room for negotiation, but even people in lead positions are often underpaid.

2. Training is all over the place. There is no established standard for anything, and it is possible to be trained how to do the same thing a dozen different ways as each guy does things the way he thinks is best. Things were never done in a consistent manner from one project to the next, or even from one building to the next. They were working on establishing a standard as I was leaving the company.

3. Lots of turnover. In the short time I was there, 3 people quit to go elsewhere, myself included.

4. The 15 days PTO is all inclusive and is meant to cover both vacation AND sick time. Sick time is not paid out separately. Also, you must fill out a request form and have the approval of your immediate supervisors, as well as CH Reynolds Corporate Management for ALL PTO (including sick time). This is because their time sheet system does not independently keep track of your PTO, and all PTO is either added or removed manually by HR.

5. The time sheet system is not at all intuitive, has a built in timeout of 6 minutes, and requires watching a tutorial video in order to learn. You need to add a note to indicate your shift, because it seems the system does not already know. You cannot select ALL entries and enter the note once, you must enter the note one time for each entry. Also, if a mistake is made in time entering, filling out a new sheet does not overwrite the previous entry, it adds the time in addition to what you had done before. I had never worked with a time sheet system so broken in my life. Also, as mentioned above, it does not track your PTO.

6. Without a doubt, this was the worst on boarding experience I had ever had as a new hire at a company. One week into the position, I still didn't have an access badge to the site. Two weeks into the position, I still had not yet received a laptop, making performing my duties difficult and my badge still did not access all the areas I needed to access, meaning I couldn't do anything alone.

7. If you carry a disability rating, and warn them about it during the job interview, expect them to be okay with it, until you refuse to do something because of that disability. They will make your life miserable and harass you endlessly about it from that point forward. Even if you provide all relevant medical information they require, expect them to CONTINUE to harass you about it afterward. It won't matter if you have a reputation for working hard, or if you're well liked by your peers.

8. If you leave, do NOT let them fill out your last time sheet for you, especially if you work an off shift, as they WILL screw you out of the shift differential you are entitled to, and will ignore all subsequent e-mails seeking reimbursement.

9. Even if you are there for years, are the acknowledged go to guy for all questions, and are the listed "lead" for a shift, it is possible to be passed over for that lead position in favor of someone who has been working at the company for less than a month. This did not happen to me, but is is something I saw happening as I was leaving the company. A good guy and a great worker, who had been acting lead was not given the position, and in fact was not even CONSIDERED for the position, even though everyone, management included, acknowledged he was doing the job properly. So while there IS a chance for advancement, it is not fairly offered to all.

Advice to Management

1. Offer better compensation to your workers, and show them the same loyalty they show you, and maybe you will experience less turnover.

2. Work harder to accommodate the disabilities of the people you hire should they exist, instead of making them jump through needless hoops to prove they can do the job. Do not continue to harass them even after they have done what you have asked.

3. Establish a true standard as to how things should be done company wide, and have a guide that is easy to understand and follow, with pictures if necessary. The biggest complaint from your customers that I heard in my time is that things were so different from site to site and project to project. There is a decided lack of consistency.

4. Get a better time sheet system. It shouldn't be so difficult for your employees to report their time.

5. Take a look at your lower management people and the way they treat their subordinates. They know when your smile is fake, and that while you may look like you're listening to them, you're really not. Especially if you're not even giving them the courtesy of looking at them while they are talking to you.

"Awesome!"

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at C H Reynolds Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CHR has been a great company to work for. Compensation package has been MUCH better than competitors, and its a smaller company, so they treat you very much like a real person.

Cons

Working for CHR but contracted out to an outside organization is difficult sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

11. "Overall good experience"

I worked at C H Reynolds Electric full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging assignments
    Colleagues are very helpful
    Management is supportive

Cons

Managed service environment is not for everyone
    Satisfaction depends on individual assignments

Advice to Management

Keep staying focused on employee needs, not just client