C-K Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
C-K CEO Peter G. Krivkovich
Peter G. Krivkovich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life Balance: Its what YOU make of it, not the agency" (in 9 reviews)

• "The culture is really laid back and there are a lot of really smart people here" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "This isn't the job for you if you enjoy work-life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "long hours have to work weekends" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great people, great clients, & a great place to work"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at C-K full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at C-K are really great colleagues. It's a positive, fun environment. C-K's leadership team is very strong and they have some amazing clients like Porsche, Cedar Fair, Corona, Edward Jones, Nikon, etc. I enjoyed working at C-K. Really wonderful people and a very positive corporate culture. It's a good place to start a career or to move to as an experienced hire.

Cons

None specific to C-K. The bigger question is always whether to stay in the agency world or go client side.

2. "Account Supervisor"

I worked at C-K full-time

Pros

Some good accounts and lots of really smart, hard working people

Cons

Senior management, low tolerance for working remotely, the never-ending hours, weekends, holidays, etc.

3. "Hello"

Former Employee - High School Math Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - High School Math Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at C-K full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

understanding, caring, reliable, expansive, alarm

Cons

unreliable, not undestanding, caring, reliable

Advice to Management

need more peope

"Changing & Growing: All For The Better"

I have been working at C-K full-time

Pros

I have been with this agency for 3+ years and have seen it go through some changes. Here is a non-biased/non-skued ex employee review and some straight-shoot thoughts from a real time, hard-working current employee:
    - Yes, we have gone through some ups and downs (ALL corporations do at some point or another) but I can honestly say that all levels of management are having their voices heard and the executive team is making changes to meet their needs. How many companies have you worked at where you can say that your voice, opinions and concerns were heard and answered by the president and CEO of the company? How many companies have you worked at where your GM of the office encourages an open door policy at her office and welcomes any weekly stand-ups/questions you have and values your thoughts? Its not because you are a teachers pet its because they know we are the driving force of the company and want to make sure efforts are in place to make us succeed. I can't say that you will find that mindset at the bigger shops leo, bbdo, etc.
    - I work in the Milwaukee office and trust me, we are here to stay. Again like any corporation out there, we had to re-adjust teams here in Milwaukee office to be as impactful and productive as possible. Now, everywhere from the creative department to media, we are hiring to find more team members that share this similar mindset. We are even getting a whole new revamped office in Milwaukee! Can't wait for it to be done and see the final product.
    -You are not just a number at CK. The Team (from entry level folks all the way to senior leadership) seriously invest in you as a person and a valuable asset to the agency.
    - I wake up every morning and look forward to going to work. Can you say the same? CK is one of the rare few places that it doesn't feel like you are at work. The people are amazing, the clients and the work we do are award winning. No day is the same. I work out of the Milwaukee office yet have had opportunities to work with team members from our NYC and Chicago offices. Everyone is there to lean on each other and tackle the task at hand. We are a team, a unit.
    - Work/Life Balance: Its what YOU make of it, not the agency. I have worked at other shops were they were workaholics and choose to work all day, every day, all weekend because that is what they thought they should do. At CK, it is what YOU make of it. Sure, there are busy times throughout the year that you might have to stay later or travel on the weeks (that is no different than any other salary based job within any other industry) but this is not a mandatory to take a job at CK. Plus, if you do have to come in after work hours or stay later.. the executive team acknowledges your extra commitment and requests you to take a bonus personal day in the future,etc because they value you and want you to get R&R.
    - Internships where you work on actual client work, have contact with clients and present ideas/GTM campaigns and help solve existing client issues. What more could you ask for in a internship?
    - Three words: Award. Winning. Work.

Cons

I don't need to voice any thoughts/recos for improvement on here because I have already given those directly to the Executive Team/HR.

5. "I enjoyed my time here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at C-K full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart colleagues. Fun office cultures. Benefits.

Cons

Sometimes it felt like the main floor and the other floor were different worlds

6. "CK Needs Agency Rehab"

I worked at C-K full-time

Pros

If you can get on a good team with good people, you can have a great time. There are a lot of office parties and whatnot, typical agency perks, and recently renovated offices in a great location. My team was wonderful and I loved working with them and learning from them. There was also a great 401K and matching program. HR would bring in Schwab yearly to answer questions, which was great. Sadly, this is where the pros end.

Cons

CK has some truly awful upper management that is stifling the agency as a whole. The atmosphere is very disjointed here. There are the directors that are overpaid to do who knows what, and then there is everyone else who is smart and works hard for no recognition or money. There has not been any solid new business in a very long time, which was very concerning for job security and the future of the agency. It is sad to see a great agency suffering, but they need to get it together. Also, some teams offer no upward mobility, while other teams will promote people to senior positions when they have no basic knowledge or experience. Scary situation.

Advice to Management

Your current new biz/department heads are clearly not working out. Clean house and save the agency before it is too late. This could be a great place again.

7. "Be Prepared or pass on the opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at C-K full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The reviews on here are pretty accurate. They make an effort to create a good culture with events, parties, snacks, and beer. Offices are beautiful and great location off of Michigan Ave. Good creative work.

Cons

There are almost too many to count in my 5 years there. They put on a really welcoming and positive facade but the culture is extremely toxic. It's not all bad but there's a reason why there's such a high level of turnover and burnout.

-This isn't the job for you if you enjoy work-life balance. Long hours are expected. There were times where projects were given arbitrary deadlines just to keep you there at night as some sort of power play.

-Some members of executive management are just plain abusive. I joke that I have workplace PTSD from my tenure there. HR and senior team members are very aware of this behavior and nothing has ever been done to change it in over a decade.

-The culture is extremely passive aggressive and backstabbing. Management plays favorites.

-Hardly any reviews and zero advice on what I could improve on in my years of working there even when asked multiple times.

-Haven't won any new accounts in a very long time. Traditional broadcast-heavy work and behind the times on digital, SEO, etc.

- Executive management is completely disconnected from the actual goings on within the office.

Advice to Management

I honestly don't even know what to say that could make things better.

"Director"

I have been working at C-K full-time

Pros

Creative agency, fully integrated. Exposure to other disciplines. Solid benefits and leadership teams

Cons

Unpredictable hours - sometimes have to work nights, weekends.

9. "Supervisor"

Pros

Fun and Nice co-workers but usually don’t stay long

Cons

Management is unaware of what is going on

"Letting the Milwaukee Office Die a Slow and Impassionate Death"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at C-K full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest, most talented and kindest people in the industry work at the Milwaukee office.

Generous PTO, between vacation and all-office holidays. Casual office environment with great flexibility and work/life balance.

Cons

The Milwaukee office, once a respected pinnacle of that ad community has been slowly dying for the past few years. They're quickly approaching a low of 50 team members, vastly down from a high of 150+ a decade ago. Multiple layoffs/forced retirements this year alone, and a general lack of direction or inspirational leadership for that office.

It's been pretty clear for a while that the Chicago office has no care or interest in investing in the Milwaukee team, and numerous departures (forced and voluntary) make that even more evident.

Advice to Management

Make up your mind with what you want to do in Milwaukee - either invest in it and let them thrive by unshackling them from some of the ridiculous policies and processes that were clearly not designed with their client-set in mind - or sell them off and shut the doors.

Quit acting like everything is hunky-dory and like the mass exodus that's happened over the past two years doesn't say something significant about the state of the agency.