C Space Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 14, 2018

3.6
Charles Trevail

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Many senior employees who are working moms/dads-- feels good to be at a place that celebrates work/life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "C Space is a company with a vision" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Like all professional services firms, it can be long hours, and sometimes clients can be tough" (in 16 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is not valued here" (in 8 reviews)

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

C Space is a company with a vision. If you work here you will experience:

Dynamic and exciting work that is different than the rest of the industry
    Smart, talented, and collaborative coworkers who like to deliver quality work and have fun
    Stellar client list
    Good benefits and great flexibility

Cons

This isn’t an environment for someone who can’t embrace change and isn’t willing to be learning and experimenting. C Space is always evolving, usually for the better but change can be hard. The company has been really behind on hiring for about a year but it seems to be getting better. The company needs to develop better managers too. Seems like that’s a big factor in people’s experiences at C Space.

Advice to Management

Stay close to what the day to day feels like for our client facing teams. Take the time to really understand their viewpoints. Spend more time thinking about supporting and growing our mid level talent.

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your post. As a current Director who likely has worked in several organizations, you are a great judge of the advantages of a workplace like ours and... More

"Great place to start career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at C Space full-time

Pros

Fast-paced work which keeps things interesting. Great exposure to work life at an agency.

Cons

Very much "churn and burn". Typical agency life, led by many from other agencies. Could use more diversity at the senior levels.

Advice to Management

Model the behavior you want to see. Do what you say. Be authentic and hold accountable those who aren't consistent with the values.

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Your review has some real highs and lows.

We love being a great place to start your career. But we certainly don’t aspire to be a place of burn-out. Agency life can be exhilarating and... More

"Prospective Associates/Associate Consultants - Don't do it."

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at C Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blue chip client roster
    Intelligent, amiable coworkers
    Convenient Boston office location
    Flexible work arrangements (remote, WFH, etc.)

Cons

Politics, not merit, dictate career advancement in client services.
    - Department managing directors had pet associate consultants (second lowest position) reporting into them. Intended reporting structure is two levels up (associate to senior, senior to director, director to VP/managing director).
    - Performance reviews were inconsistent, subjective (you self-select who will review your performance from your teams, and both the tool and performance matrix have no numerical score for benchmarking purposes), and cringe-worthy. I had a teammate with flawless performance be told they wasn't being considered for a promotion because they weren't more like X consultant in the department.

Staffing/Workload - C Space is a hair on fire agency that is most likened to a boot camp. Approximately through the associate director level, expect to work 10ish hours a day and about three full weekend days. HR/dept directors will cry foul here but set up an informational interview with someone who has left C Space to get an accurate picture. Unless you have children, you will stay to finish the work.

Terrible/non existent manager training. If you have a bad manager here, get out as soon as you can. Politics again rear its head here - a top performing senior consultant was put on a performance plan because she was observed to be consistently 3-5 minutes late to her meetings (never mind she was managing 3 accounts and 2 teams herself flawlessly).

Beware the Kool Aid. It's quite strong. Senior leadership seems committed to its values without prioritizing market level compensation, L2/L3 management training and continued ed, and managing director/VP servant leadership.

Abysmal associate/associate consultant training. If you're new to market research or fresh out of college, strongly recommend against coming here. There are plenty of other bigger, more established brands with better thought-out learning tracks AND better starting salaries. This was the experience of associates before me, my own cohort (who has all left), and three L1s who joined a year after me. I don't foresee this changing.

Advice to Management

Focus on consultant/senior consultant retention. Make a goal of it being impossible to cherry pick examples for performance reviews. Amp up CR training.

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Thank you for the specificity of your post. It’s given us a lot to discuss. And I'm truly sorry you experienced so many cons. I hope you're happier in your new job.

Once we’re past being... More

"Great Place to Work; Work/Life Balance and Strong Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here for about 6 months now and love my job. C Space is clearly committed to continuous improvement in our culture. The work/life balance is real -- while there are some late (6:30pm and on) nights, that is not the norm.

I've worked at other places where 60h/week was the usual. C Space is not that place.

You get to work on cool projects with interesting clients and supportive, smart teammates.

Cons

None have come up yet.

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Thank you so much for writing about your experience at C Space so far! We strive to be a great place to work for everyone and work on areas of opportunity.

We love hearing you're having a great... More

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-experience
    -convenient location
    -cool office space

Cons

-staffing issues
    -people are always looking to place blame
    -Long hours
    -sick time means work from home
    -low pay
    -10 vacation days
    -office politics
    -social employees are favorited and promoted over hard working employees
    -high turnover at the lower and mid level
    -High stress environment

Advice to Management

See cons

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

We are very sorry to hear that you are having a disappointing experience at C Space, and thank you for taking the time to provide some candid feedback. There's a lot in your post.

This past year... More

"Growth Creates Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Impressive client roster
    -Fantastic coworkers
    -Ability to change teams within company
    -Growth has created opportunities for some, especially the sales team
    -Constant change and evolution

Cons

-Significant staffing and employee retention issues
    -No ability to say no
    -Constant change has created ongoing confusion and inefficiency
    -Growth at any cost mentality
    -Always on means no ability to disconnect and recharge (even during PTO)
    -Compensation is not competitive

Advice to Management

Let’s leverage the recent growth to pause and make sure we’re set up for success in the future. Employee retention issues need to be addressed and solved so that teams can deliver awesome work. While the growth is exciting, it has created pain that is compromising the work. It will be great to see staffing and compensation addressed. A lot had changed in my time here, it’ll be great to keep the good and add even more.

Oct 22, 2018 – Senior Director of HR

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. We agree that our people are our number one asset and we’re glad to hear you value and enjoy your co-workers and clients, alike. We also pride... More

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at C Space full-time

Pros

You will work with impressive clients and gain experience.

Cons

The culture is toxic. Most of the company staff is tenured high-level employees coasting through the work week or new associate/associate consultants lacking experience. They have a huge retention problem, especially when it comes to overworked mid-level employees. They say they have hired over 100 people this year, which means that 20-25% of the company hasn't even been working there for a year.

You can expect a high stress, disorganized environment with long hours and low pay. Upper management is a lot of talk when it comes to improving these issues, however I never saw any improvements during my time at C Space. Instead they continued to sell business that could be properly staffed. HR's responses to the negative reviews are not what I experienced at C Space and I find the other low starred reviews to be accurate.

Advice to Management

Focus on making improvements to retain your mid level employees rather than replacing them.

Oct 19, 2018 – Senior Director of HR

These kind of reviews are hard to read. Your experience is upsetting to hear and obviously not the kind of company we want to work at either. While this it isn’t the experience of all, we hear you... More

"Great Place To Learn and Turning The Corner As A Company"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at C Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

C Space is a company where hard workers and competent employees will be given responsibilities and exposure to clients and challenges that is hard to find at the same level in other agencies. Overall, C Space might be the best in the industry at the storytelling aspect of insights and brand consulting. Their community management is superior to other research agencies and the insights are always strong, actionable, and they generally go beyond 'general findings' that their competitors regurgitate to clients. The New York office has a strong culture that truly cultivates friendship between many employees, as does the Boston office. For an international company, they do a better job than most at establishing rapport across continents, though this still has room for improvement.

Cons

The New York and SF offices' salaries lag significantly behind other agencies in their markets, though I've heard this is improving. There can be long hours (though they don't have to be - it's up to you), but a lot of that is dependent on your client and they probably wouldn't feel as long if the compensation and promotion cycle matched the output. Typical 'big holding company problems'. No benefit to advanced degrees.

Advice to Management

C Space solves for business problems in a truly unique way, and it's exciting. Position yourself -- as well as the work and level of output you create -- as a consulting firm rather than an agency. I think you'll find new business, employee retention, and profit margins (and thus the ability to pay your employees fairly) will all match the fantastic work you're creating! Also, be sure to continually invest in your technology, as many processes that could be expedited are keeping your L1s in the office longer than needed.

Sep 14, 2018 – Senior Director of HR

Thanks for the thorough and positive review; we’re very grateful you shared it and glad to hear that you had a positive experience during your tenure here.

And we're very proud to hear the comment... More

"Opportunity is yours, if you want it and work for it"

I have been working at C Space full-time

Pros

Super open to hungry, hard working, focused professionals

Cons

Lots of young people who aren't fully sure of how to work hard

Advice to Management

Invest in your senior level talent!

Sep 14, 2018 – Senior Director of HR

Thanks so much for your review. We’re happy to hear that the dedication and hard work our people demonstrate day-after-day is evident! The best part of our roles in People & Ops is watching and... More

"Not Recommended"

I have been working at C Space full-time

Pros

This company is a stepping stone. If you are looking for a job where you gain experience, but move on after a year C Space may work for you.

Cons

This company is a revolving door, which leaves teams very understaffed and overworked. Last year there was a very long hiring and promotion freeze, so if someone quit we were not allowed to replace them, meaning more work for the individuals on the team without merit. We were promised staffing improvements in January 2018 when the hiring freeze ended but these promises were never fulfilled due to recruitment's lack of ability to catch up from the hiring freeze with new business and high turnover. HR will comment about all the people that they have hired this year, which is great and impressive, however it is not enough! Employees are being abused and its not OK. People are asking for help and they are not getting the support and help they need. Work/life balance is not valued here.

Advice to Management

Hire in anticipation of new business and employee turnover instead of constantly playing catch up.

Sep 26, 2018 – Senior Director of HR

Your post is very concerning and not the experience we want you to be having. We very much do value work/life balance and hope you come to us in People Operations or HR for support – we can work... More