C Space Reviews

Updated Aug 9, 2020

C Space CEO Charles Trevail  (no image)
Charles Trevail
Pros
  • "During my time at C Space I enjoyed learning from a group of bright, passionate colleagues(in 22 reviews)

• "Everyone is literally amazing, smart people, nice people, even 'cool' people(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "C Space changes and changes often -- I can see how it would be overwhelming for some(in 21 reviews)

• "Long hours for little pay or praise from seniors(in 16 reviews)

1. "A Company With a Growth Mindset"

5.0
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leaders at C Space don't always get it right -- in fact, they get it wrong quite a bit, as do we all but what makes C Space do unique is that leaders here can admit that they are wrong. C Space is a well-intentioned company and the work we do to help organization become more customer centric is more relevant today than it's ever been. They say that crises show one's true colors -- I'd say C Space is looking pretty good right now.

Cons

If you don't like change, this isn't the place for you. C Space changes and changes often -- I can see how it would be overwhelming for some.

Continue reading
  2. "Some pros, some cons"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great culture/management on technical teams

Cons

- Lack of vision in the rest of the company, not quite sure what the objectives are beyond maintaining the bottom line

Continue reading

3. "Ok. Large corporate atmosphere. Nice people."

Former Employee - Storyteller Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at C Space full-time for less than a year

Pros

Highly structured (if you do like that)

Cons

Highly structured (if you don't like that)

"Empty Promises to get you in the door"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at C Space full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-The people: There are some amazing people at C Space, and a general curiosity and excitement from the general pool of employees. There are plenty of smart, driven people working here, and I made some amazing friends and connections that I hope to stay in touch with. -The strategy work and insights: The actual insights engine itself is no longer a novel concept, and many companies are taking this in-house to save on expenditures. However, the storytellers and finished work product they weave together is truly amazing. -Location and Benefits: I found the salary, benefits, title, and location to be a huge draw. The office is so close to South Station and made for an easy commute. Plus in the summer, there are food trucks and beer gardens abound. Tons of great food and coffee places as well. The employee stock program is actually a great deal - looking back I regret not participating. They were working on a better bonus program before I left, but I was happy to see progress being made.

Cons

-Corporate Structure and Governance: So many issues at agency level and holding company level. There are Directors and VPs that are related to the ELT or other senior staff, or have been promoted/ placed in a leadership position because of family money and connections to potential customers. If you believe in a meritocracy, this is not the place for you. You have to know people to get ahead, or be lucky enough to be liked and/or work under a rising star. Also, be prepared for a corporate restructuring (i.e. layoffs) at least once or twice year. People just seem to disappear around you, and no one can really tell you why. -Unsustainable Business Model: Eventually, customers will take the bread and butter of the old Communispace platform in house or find a cheaper way to execute online. They are making strides to get ahead of this, but I would argue it's already too late given the need for so many restructures. -Culture and D&I: The teams really try to enhance culture, and approach it from a ground up perspective; however, given the instability at the company, it's hard to boost morale. Also, severe lack of diversity throughout the company. -Work Life Balance: This is also very dependent on your team, but it's very easy to burn yourself out here. Agency life isn't for the faint of heart, but oftentimes, you are working late because everyone else on your team has to catch early trains, and little to nothing gets done after hours. The work trickles down, and you'll see SVPs and VPs leaving at 5 on the dot consistently.

5. "Cool place"

4.0
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at C Space full-time

Pros

Fun culture and smart people to work with

Cons

Some trouble with upward mobility

June 9, 2020Talent Acquisition Partner

Thank you for your feedback and I’m happy to see you had a positive experience with us here at C Space. We like to believe our people are the brightest in the business, and we certainly strive to maintain a fun, collaborative, and human culture. It’s wonderful to see these were large takeaways for you. Upward mobility is another area we take seriously, as our goal is to promote from within and invest in L&D of our people to grow their careers and help them advance. That is an area we have certainly improved in and will continue to moving forward. Thank you for your hard work and contributions to C Space during your time here and we wish you all the best as you continue in your career.

"You gotta play the game"

Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at C Space full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Like most agencies, C Space moved to an 100% remote workforce in mid-March but unlike most agencies, they did it with little to no business disruption. Everyone likes to complain about IT, but they really came through for us at the most important time. - Most people are great -- curious, smart, and willing to go the extra mile to help out a colleague. People are generally empathetic and open. - Work is interesting. The company is making moves to transform their business model and we have access to many leading companies across industries. I believe their Customer Agency mission is genuine and will be a winning strategy in the end. Their subscription business model provides much needed stability.

Cons

- Promotions and compensation are a mystery. HR & leadership has made attempts to clarify policies but there seems to always be the "policy" and then the "real" way things are happening and decisions are being made. "Off-cylce" promotions connected to frequent re-orgs make it hard to plan a career. This isn't a place to plan a thoughtful career -- it's sort of a luck of the draw or aligning yourself with senior leadership. - Leadership is insular and resistant to feedback. I personally don't feel safe giving true feedback to leadership without being pinned as a "complainer" or "traditional." HR often tries to push new channels to give feedback as they know this is an issue, but new channels is just a bandaid. The true cause of people not giving feedback is that the know it will come back to bite them. There is maybe 2 people I would ever actually give feedback to on the Americas Leadership Team and feel safe doing so. - Our staffing issues are so systemically bad (and more than I've see at other agencies). Either we're not charging clients enough or we're doing extra work, but something isn't adding up in the numbers. We never have nearly enough people to deliver on the work. - Constant re-orging. I'm all for growth and evolution, but C Space changes strategy every 6 months. Leadership doesn't seem to understand that every time there is a large org change, productivity and culture is disrupted. When people bring up this feedback, leadership pins them as "against improvement." - Being part of a holding company (Omnicom) comes with its challenges -- centralized services like building management companies and IT functions that are decidedly NOT consumer-centric, business decisions driven by quarterly KPIs instead of long-term growth, and caps on compensation. On the other hand, it does provide us with some stability and accountability. All in all, its best to just play the game with C Space - do your work, get close to some senior leaders and hope for the best.

June 8, 2020Senior Director of HR

Thank you for the feedback on C Space, what we’re doing well and where we have room to improve. You clearly took the time to write something thoughtful and detailed, and given you are a current employee it is based on your experience. The positives you note are ones we celebrate and take great pride in: thank you. They span the caliber of our people, how we’re innovating our strategy and business model, our incredible list of clients and even our amazing technology group that has enabled us to work anytime anywhere. I would add our vibrant culture and values which guide our day to day behaviors and how we treat each other. The negatives are disheartening to read of course and I’m truly sorry you believe advancement and opportunity lies with who you know, luck or playing a game. Nothing could be farther from the people goals we have or the strides we believe we have made in clarifying our communication strategy and tools, like the Spot. I can’t underscore this enough -- if these are the experiences you’re having it is vital that you speak up to a trusted person, ideally your reporting manager or one of us on the People Team. I know you believe we have tried to clarify things and that too much happens behind the scenes. The only thing I can say there is that we try to plan how each year will go in advance – how many cycles of promotions to hold (based on our current growth and past experiences), how to provide merit cycles that align with “rules” that come from our parent company, and how to provide flexibility so that an urgent business and yes sometimes organizational change-related promotion can occur. And then things like COVID happen, or our revenue forecasts must be scaled back, and we need to reevaluate how much discretionary investment we can make. All of these things are part of running a successful business overall, which happily, overall, we are. Your comments about psychological safety are a problem, and against our values of “telling it like it is” and “open up and listen.” Phil or I would truly welcome a private chat on how you are experiencing this so we can do better, or I'd encourage you to reach out to one of the ALT members you feel safe discussing issues with. It’s true that for every complaint there should be a solution, and often solutions come from those that are closest to the issue. But that shouldn’t affect your or anyone’s day to day experience and make you feel this discouraged. As for the other areas you feel are issues, I won’t go line by line, but would like to assure you that we are aware of and working on them across various channels. A professional services company typically struggles to staff optimally, and pricing our work as the market shifts and competitors mimic our offering, certainly these will always be works in progress. And you’re right, being part of a holding company is a balance of many pros, and some cons. Recognizing all our people regardless of client account or role, is a priority for sure. In summary, I don’t think we view anyone’s career here as a game to be played. Every organization has work to do, and ours is no exception—but I am hoping you will find that some of these issues can and are moving in a positive direction. In my experience, those that speak up and work constructively to improve things, are rewarded in spades. Don’t forget that “do what scares you” is one of our values too, and we know change can feel scary – which is why it is so important that we work together to overcome our fears and make C Space realize its endless potential. Thank you for all your hard work for us.

7. "Great place to begin your career"

4.0
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at C Space full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive team members, relatively good work/life balance

Cons

Low pay, sometimes spread too thin

June 2, 2020Talent Acquisition Partner

We’re happy to see you had a positive experience with C Space! Our amazing team and our human approach to work/life balance is something we are very proud of and we appreciate that you mentioned these strengths. However, we don’t share the feeling that C Space is only a place to “begin” a career. We hope those who join us stay with us for the long-haul. One of the major things we look for when hiring is someone’s future potential – we want every employee to contribute to our long-term growth and success, not just the short-term. We aim to promote from within whenever possible so those who stay with us can continue to grow in their careers and, in turn, make more money for the company and thus, themselves. I know that sounds like what you would expect to hear, so I like to give some numbers along with it to back up our desire to promote internally. 80% of our Global Executive Team has been promoted to the board – and, regionally, more than 60% of our management teams started their careers at C Space at the entry-level. Thank you again for being a part of our team here at C Space and all you contributed during your time here. We hope you are doing well now and although you are no longer with us, we hope you look back at C Space overall in a positive light that helped you to grow your career.

"C space will burn you out"

I have been working at C Space full-time

Pros

Top notch clients, allows you to explore what you really want to do for the first few years of your career. Women lead the company.

Cons

Major internal problems make days unpredictable and stressful to the point of burnout and exhaustion.

June 2, 2020Senior Director of HR

Thank you for posting your feedback about your time with C Space. Working on collaborative teams for visible, industry leading clients to embed the voice of the customer across all business, marketing and product strategy can be an amazing career choice -- we’d argue not only for the first few years of one’s career but at all stages. And yes we are very proud that both our President in the Americas, Jessica DeVlieger and Managing Director in London, Kathryn Blanchard are female. I’m very sorry to hear that you feel there are internal challenges that have created inordinate stress, that management is not accountable to the same standards, doesn’t communicate genuinely or clearly, or is over-focused on selling our unique offering. You are a current employee it sounds like, so I encourage you to speak with your reporting manager about your concerns, and/or come talk to me or anyone in People & Ops. I can offer you and others reading a few thoughts in response for now. Each week we have two staff meetings (one global, one Americas) to share our numbers and spotlight the unique and amazing work our teams are doing, and those videos are then posted on The Spot, our internal communications platform with additional written summaries. There we also have: daily postings on our values and recognition page where employees share their genuine appreciation for each other, our Diversity Equity and Inclusion site with active Allies group leading the way, valuable client resources to help with specific work challenges, as well a comments section for individual queries. We also run engagement questions quarterly in our people development platform, Bridge. We offer daily yoga and have hosted speakers even prior to COVID that shared some of the latest on mental health strategies. We even have a dedicated site relating to all the new issues that have emerged in the COVID-era to make sure people know how to take advantage of new national and local offerings (including leaves) given how important mental and physical health are in this uncertain time. Certainly working in a client and professional services business can involve longer hours at times but it shouldn’t be the rule. I highly recommend you are transparent about this if that is your experience, to see if there are modifications that can be made to help you achieve better balance. Over 20% of our staff are taking advantage of our flexible work arrangements, even before the COVID era. Every C Space employee should feel comfortable raising their concerns to their manager and others that can help, and then take responsibility to make changes. I hope you can be one of them, and again, encourage you to come forward to myself or anyone on the People Team for a private conversation if you feel at all stuck in how to make things better for yourself. Thank you for your hard work for C Space!

"Great People, Unsustainable Workload"

Former Employee - Associate Director

I worked at C Space full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

During my time at C Space I enjoyed learning from a group of bright, passionate colleagues. The client list was impressive, as was the work C Space was doing. There was a true sense of camaraderie, even during difficult times and conversations.

Cons

I left C Space due to constant challenges with resourcing and workload. More than any other company I've worked for, C Space struggles to hire and retain enough people to support their work. I understand that the parent company presents some challenges, but not being able to back fill roles even during times of growth is demoralizing. I had no work-life balance and the stress level was unsustainable.

February 26, 2020Senior Director of HR

Thank you for writing your feedback about C Space. We appreciate the positive comments representing the best of us: our clients, our work -- making business more human, our people and our teams/collegiality. I’m very sorry you left us based on your workload and stress being over the top. Resourcing – particularly across so many accounts, types of work and skill sets – is a challenge no doubt, and one we continue to battle with working teams attacking the root issues. Our attrition has been tracking at less than 20% over the last twelve months -- far lower than many other professional service agencies. We continue to promote and invest in our current employees, and make additional hires as we can afford new investments based on our growth projections. It is a tricky balance for sure. We always encourage people to raise these types of feelings with their reporting managers or come to the People team for guidance, particularly if work/life balance doesn’t improve over time. We greatly value your contributions to C Space during your time here, and we wish you the best of luck in your new opportunity.

"Good For Short-term"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most clients are really good to work with and the work is very interesting. The people you work with on a day to day basis are the best part and what holds people there longer. Really good place for about 2 years or so but after that you start really noticing the negatives.

Cons

As many other reviews have said, Senior Management is completely clueless on what they are doing. Typically they come up with a new company strategy every year or so which is centered around a ton of buzz words that don't mean anything. Promotions, extremely inconsistent and seems based more on who someone is friendly with rather than their actually merits. Basically if you're not on the CX team you'll have to put in 60+ hours a week for a few years to get promoted. On the CX team theyll probably promote you your 2nd week. Benefits + Compensation: some of the worse you'll see. Right next to south station but don't provide anything towards a T pass. HR + Operations: Way too much power in the organization and completely ignore anything thats a problem until its a major one. Case in point: in our employee experience results presentation they spend 99% of the time on miscellaneous metrics that we improved on then flew by the most important metrics because we declined on them.

February 4, 2020Chief People & Operations Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I’m sorry that despite working for great clients and with fantastic people, you’re sounding pretty frustrated by life at C Space right now. I hope that you feel able to discuss these issues with your reporting manager or team leader. Of course, I’m also happy to discuss any of your points with you in more detail if you’d like to swing by my desk any time or pop in time for a coffee. In the meantime, I can address some of your comments here in case that’s helpful for you or others reading this. We’re striving to build an open, transparent culture, and I’m surprised that your takeaway from last summer’s engagement results presentation was that 99% of the content was focused on metrics where we showed improvement. When Gabby and I put this presentation together, we structured it in four parts. The first recapped the highs and lows of the previous year. We then shared where we’d most improved (learning and development opportunities, improvements on last year’s survey, building a more diverse and inclusive culture). We then dived into where we excel (culture, living our values, focusing on clients, collaboration within departments). And finally, spent the final 25% of the deck (via 20+ slides) talking about areas where we did not score so favorably and what we plan to do about it (reward, ensuring everyone feels recognized for their contribution, more work to do on diversity and inclusion, collaboration across departments). After the presentation, we responded to individual and team requests for extra data, providing cuts by ethnicity and details about how scores varied based on tenure and level of seniority. We shared this information with the entire company via email and then gave everyone access to the full presentation for their reference. While there’s always work to do and we’re far from perfect, we’re making progress in the areas identified as improvement areas: rolling out sessions this February to the whole company clarifying our pay, performance and promotion process; continuing to build and expand the influence of our Allies Group; holding formal training around diversity and inclusion for Senior Leadership; rolling out a new training program for reporting managers. Last week, we also rolled out a new communications platform since that was another area people flagged as needing improvement. We’re receiving great feedback already on how this can improve information flows around the business. I feel obliged to provide some data on your comments relating to promotions at C Space as they don’t ring true with me. In 2019, we promoted 69 people (about 20% of our US team). I just scanned the list of names and three of this number were from our CX (Customer Experience) team. In addition, one person was promoted from elsewhere in the business into that team due to the fast growth they were experiencing. In 2020, another person has moved across into that team (the promotion was triggered by performance outside the team), we had one off-cycle promotion in January, and three people have been promoted out of that team into bigger roles (two of them outside of the team). It’s worth noting too, that the CX team did experience more than 100% revenue growth in 2019 so this certainly provided people in that team with a lot of opportunity to step up, develop skills and work on stretching assignments. This aside, promotions at C Space are ultimately dependent on people hitting the relevant competencies, living our values and a role being available (e.g. business need). We hold biannual calibration sessions with input from Reporting Managers, Team Directors to ensure promotions are applied fairly across the business. If you’d like more detail about how the process works, please attend one of the 7-8 sessions we have planned for February where there will also be an opportunity to ask questions about any aspect of how decisions are made. It sounds like your comments really stem from a broader feeling that you/ people in the sector teams are not as valued, or appreciated, or celebrated as much as those people in the CX or DnA team. This is something we alluded to in our last staff meeting. We need to ensure that all of our teams feel valued for the contribution they make. We work with a variety of different clients, who do all sorts of different types of work with us. We need to talk about the game-changing work that is pushing us forward, as well as work that is more ‘day-to-day’ but equally important to our growth and to our clients. This is something we’ve been discussing as a leadership team. I hope that you’ll have noticed that the first four projects/ wins that we have called out and celebrated on our new communications platform have been related to work being led by teams outside of our CX/ DnA teams. We also shared at our January staff meeting that we all need to work harder to break down team silos. We succeed and do our best work when teams are working together, not forging on alone in silos. Again, I’m sorry that you’re frustrated by so many things right now. I suspect that may answers above may clarify a few things for readers, but not ultimately change how you’re experiencing things right now, so as mentioned above, if you’re keen to stay and help us understand how we can work together to improve the things that aren’t working for you, please get in touch. Phil (Chief People & Operations Officer)

Found 171 reviews