C Space Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 20, 2019

3.6
Charles Trevail

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "C Space is a company with a vision" (in 17 reviews)

• "Many senior employees who are working moms/dads-- feels good to be at a place that celebrates work/life balance" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "You can expect a high stress, disorganized environment with long hours and low pay" (in 16 reviews)

• "Work/life balance is not valued here" (in 8 reviews)

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

C Space is a company with a vision. If you work here you will experience:

Dynamic and exciting work that is different than the rest of the industry
    Smart, talented, and collaborative coworkers who like to deliver quality work and have fun
    Stellar client list
    Good benefits and great flexibility

Cons

This isn’t an environment for someone who can’t embrace change and isn’t willing to be learning and experimenting. C Space is always evolving, usually for the better but change can be hard. The company has been really behind on hiring for about a year but it seems to be getting better. The company needs to develop better managers too. Seems like that’s a big factor in people’s experiences at C Space.

Advice to Management

Stay close to what the day to day feels like for our client facing teams. Take the time to really understand their viewpoints. Spend more time thinking about supporting and growing our mid level talent.

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your post. As a current Director who likely has worked in several organizations, you are a great judge of the advantages of a workplace like ours and... More

"VERY fast paced, huge workload, work hard, play hard mentality"

Former Employee - Associate Director, Client Services in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Director, Client Services in Boston, MA

I worked at C Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people I worked with on my teams were great, benefits and perks were good.

Cons

Very fast paced to the point of burn-out, overloaded with accounts and teams to manage, expected to work 50+ hours, and it seemed that only those who did experienced growth. Salaries inconsistent across same titles/positions.

Advice to Management

Level the salary bands based on position and titles. There was a lot of frustration when people learned that others with same title made a lot more.

Mar 18, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Thank you for your review and honest feedback.

We’ve certainly seen a lot of exciting change recently, and it sounds like you were one of the people who invested a lot to help us through it... More

"Growing too fast = growing pains"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at C Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Innovative products and tools for qualitative research
    + Everyone is bought into the "C Space Way", highly collaborative (more so in the Boston HQ)
    + Top clients - really get to play a part the day-to-day in major companies
    + Most people are accessible, including senior management, but are they really listening enough to make change

Cons

- Chaotic and fast moving, to the point where no day is the same and you're scrambling to figure out your next move, your priorities shift by the hour

- VERY young, 22-25 year olds run the show (doing the work) for the most part, Directors and up don't touch the actual reports and activities

- Most people start as interns and work their way up (could be a good thing), but has created cliques, koolaid- drinking mentality, and little diversity in thinking, causes newer people to feel like "outsiders"

- Satellite offices are struggling because Boston leads the pack, so other offices are kept in the dark and constantly playing catch-up

- OVERWORKED, most people eat lunch at their desk, work early mornings and late nights...management says it's "for the client" and "we're a client-focused business" this added with their value of "we before me" is creating a "don't take a sick day, do whatever it takes" culture. The young folks haven't experienced other work environments, so they tend to just put up with it.

- Heavy email and meeting culture, you should expect 50+ emails a day, leaves little time for report writing and learning design. Most reports are created in less than 24 hours.
    - Technology is consistently failing (PC environment with clunky computers)

Advice to Management

Slow down and ensure growth is sustainable. Give proper training (they are working on this!) and enough time for newer people to learn the ropes

Don't forget about employee well-being. Young folks are burning out and management doesn't touch the work, so they don't care. Don't self-impose crazy fast deadlines just because you can. Yes, C Space is known for their speed and agility, but shouldn't it be more about the quality of the work? That's ultimately what the client is paying for.

Feb 19, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Thank you for your review. 2018 was certainly a busy year for us -- we spent most of it adding people, developing new employee onboarding, and preparing to roll out new Flex Policies and more... More

"Major changes are needed"

I worked at C Space full-time

Pros

C Space has a really caring culture and people definitely enjoy working with each other. I genuinely believe many of the people I met here will be lifelong friends. Clients are pretty amazing and it's great to have exposure to their marketing and insights teams especially for entry-level employees. The emphasis on values - while not something everyone might like - made colleagues seem truly valued.

C Space also fosters a learning environment. Messing up happens and co-workers were happy to help rather than scream at you. I always went into work happy to see them as a result. I'd describe the average C Spacer as relatively young and energetic.

PTO was fairly generous and benefits are good, even with an omnicom stock option included.

However...

Cons

Culture: While it definitely was caring, it's not a place for people who don't fit their "mold" of extremely social, outspoken, non-diverse people; just look at their revamped career site. Want to be considered more like a consulting firm, then why does it look like I'm joining college Greek life? Hours can be a lot depending on the quarter. Also the whole "customer agency" thing makes me cringe. Leadership is sold on it, but it's embarrassing when you're networking and people think you work customer support.

Work: Entry-level work seems more appropriate for an administrative assistant than someone with an actual college degree. Dealing with "community vibrancy" and a handful of their other buzzwords translates to manual review of community problems, trolls, and cutesy activities that require zero critical thinking. Why not have chatbots with occasional QA-ing? Many of my co-workers went to fairly good schools, so we have the talent! Start "telling it like it is" instead of masking menial work with buzzwords and get them onto the tough analytical stuff. Everyone at my level was dying to do it anyways! Your first few months will be dull but you won't be trained to help with the higher level assignments even though consultants, senior consultants and associate directors most often need help with it.

Salary: Atrocious. For being called "consultants," be prepared to qualify for low-income housing in the three US offices C Space has. Salaries are somewhat comparable to marketing, advertising, and other market research jobs except with a lower earning potential unless you join the C-suite. I'd gladly cut back on the parties for a raise. Also office perks are pretty non-competitive to offices in the area.

Opportunities: Hardworking but less "popular" employees were often forgotten, as other reviews mentioned, in favor of less talented but more "popular" others. Being the loudest in the room shouldn't always be rewarded. C Space is very confused about how to grow its employees and it doesn't help that employees can't figure out what their career path is because there isn't a clear trajectory in "customer collaboration consulting." You can also get stuck on clients that have nothing to do with your industry interests (like finance? Too bad, here's a grocery store client).

Future: C Space is clearly transitioning and it's not clear if their repositioning will lead to substantially higher profits and resulting salaries. Why are L1s often paid less than $50k when if they truly wanted to be "true" consultants they could easily make $65k + relocation + signing bonus (the latter of two you won't get here!)? We lost an incredible number of people, and being below "industry standards" in this regards is still no excuse. After so many rebrands, the result still lacks the professionalism needed to be taken more seriously by our clients. I've seen a number of deliverables submitted with some pretty embarrassing typos and slide designs. And even the current website design you can't even read some of the slideshow text!

Advice to Management

You're going to continue to lose more lower-level employees crucial to growth if C Space continues its current path. Why did you choose some of the most expensive cities in the world to base offices in when you won't pay more (I'm looking at NYC and SF especially)? Maybe slow down on the hiring and only take on accounts that want to work with (and pay accordingly) the blend of insights and consulting. At first the workload might be tough for current employees, but once clients get the message, employees can finally get their fair share. This might result in a culture shift, but it'd be for the better. It's important to find balance between fun and professionalism.

The online community space is getting increasingly more competitive, and it'd be unfortunate if we lost employees to competitors.

I would suggest building recruiting relationships with good colleges and start hiring (and compensating) talented entry-level employees. Being enthusiastic and bubbly isn't enough. How can we work with diverse communities when most of C Space comes from the same one or two demographics? It can be uncomfortable for employees not from these demographics to fit in. There's no excuse for this, especially being in the diverse metropolitan areas you're located in.

Incorporate a mini-case interview or something and make the interviewing less simplistic so you only hire people who won't have their eyes on the door within a year. It'll make the wide-eyed "not sure what I want to do with my life" humanities major I was more prepared for the business world.

I know training is getting better, but from my view it was exceedingly haphazard and unsupportive. Maybe come up with an internal boot camp where you focus the first few months on developing strong consultants and then getting them on client work. Save the administrative work for support departments or outsource, not actual portfolio teams. Also, perhaps you might have to "do what scares you" and be transparent with those new to the industry: it's basically market research, rebranded as insights, and trying to be consulting. A lot of recent sociology/psych/etc. grads have the right to know what they're getting themselves into.

It's also time to get technical. Broaden your quant team and train your qual researchers those methods to broaden their skillset so they don't fall prey to "you're either qual or quant not both"-mindset in market research. Lots of untapped potential (NLP, analytics, automation) that I'm hoping the team can grow into. Make sure to give the lower-level teams the chance to help with that growth, too!

I met a lot of awesome people at C Space, but I worry that their plans for the future won't come to fruition without a substantial overhaul. I'm not the only one that thinks that, too. Change takes time, but soon time will be up. Best of luck!

Feb 19, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Thank you for your detailed post.

Role re-engineering for entry-levels, understanding and acting on the true value of diversity across all levels at C Space, and compensation are main areas of... More

"Great place to start career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at C Space full-time

Pros

Fast-paced work which keeps things interesting. Great exposure to work life at an agency.

Cons

Very much "churn and burn". Typical agency life, led by many from other agencies. Could use more diversity at the senior levels.

Advice to Management

Model the behavior you want to see. Do what you say. Be authentic and hold accountable those who aren't consistent with the values.

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Your review has some real highs and lows.

We love being a great place to start your career. But we certainly don’t aspire to be a place of burn-out. Agency life can be exhilarating and... More

"Prospective Associates/Associate Consultants - Don't do it."

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at C Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blue chip client roster
    Intelligent, amiable coworkers
    Convenient Boston office location
    Flexible work arrangements (remote, WFH, etc.)

Cons

Politics, not merit, dictate career advancement in client services.
    - Department managing directors had pet associate consultants (second lowest position) reporting into them. Intended reporting structure is two levels up (associate to senior, senior to director, director to VP/managing director).
    - Performance reviews were inconsistent, subjective (you self-select who will review your performance from your teams, and both the tool and performance matrix have no numerical score for benchmarking purposes), and cringe-worthy. I had a teammate with flawless performance be told they wasn't being considered for a promotion because they weren't more like X consultant in the department.

Staffing/Workload - C Space is a hair on fire agency that is most likened to a boot camp. Approximately through the associate director level, expect to work 10ish hours a day and about three full weekend days. HR/dept directors will cry foul here but set up an informational interview with someone who has left C Space to get an accurate picture. Unless you have children, you will stay to finish the work.

Terrible/non existent manager training. If you have a bad manager here, get out as soon as you can. Politics again rear its head here - a top performing senior consultant was put on a performance plan because she was observed to be consistently 3-5 minutes late to her meetings (never mind she was managing 3 accounts and 2 teams herself flawlessly).

Beware the Kool Aid. It's quite strong. Senior leadership seems committed to its values without prioritizing market level compensation, L2/L3 management training and continued ed, and managing director/VP servant leadership.

Abysmal associate/associate consultant training. If you're new to market research or fresh out of college, strongly recommend against coming here. There are plenty of other bigger, more established brands with better thought-out learning tracks AND better starting salaries. This was the experience of associates before me, my own cohort (who has all left), and three L1s who joined a year after me. I don't foresee this changing.

Advice to Management

Focus on consultant/senior consultant retention. Make a goal of it being impossible to cherry pick examples for performance reviews. Amp up CR training.

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Thank you for the specificity of your post. It’s given us a lot to discuss. And I'm truly sorry you experienced so many cons. I hope you're happier in your new job.

Once we’re past being... More

"Great Place to Work; Work/Life Balance and Strong Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here for about 6 months now and love my job. C Space is clearly committed to continuous improvement in our culture. The work/life balance is real -- while there are some late (6:30pm and on) nights, that is not the norm.

I've worked at other places where 60h/week was the usual. C Space is not that place.

You get to work on cool projects with interesting clients and supportive, smart teammates.

Cons

None have come up yet.

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

Thank you so much for writing about your experience at C Space so far! We strive to be a great place to work for everyone and work on areas of opportunity.

We love hearing you're having a great... More

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-experience
    -convenient location
    -cool office space

Cons

-staffing issues
    -people are always looking to place blame
    -Long hours
    -sick time means work from home
    -low pay
    -10 vacation days
    -office politics
    -social employees are favorited and promoted over hard working employees
    -high turnover at the lower and mid level
    -High stress environment

Advice to Management

See cons

Jan 11, 2019 – Senior Director of HR

We are very sorry to hear that you are having a disappointing experience at C Space, and thank you for taking the time to provide some candid feedback. There's a lot in your post.

This past year... More

"Growth Creates Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at C Space full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Impressive client roster
    -Fantastic coworkers
    -Ability to change teams within company
    -Growth has created opportunities for some, especially the sales team
    -Constant change and evolution

Cons

-Significant staffing and employee retention issues
    -No ability to say no
    -Constant change has created ongoing confusion and inefficiency
    -Growth at any cost mentality
    -Always on means no ability to disconnect and recharge (even during PTO)
    -Compensation is not competitive

Advice to Management

Let’s leverage the recent growth to pause and make sure we’re set up for success in the future. Employee retention issues need to be addressed and solved so that teams can deliver awesome work. While the growth is exciting, it has created pain that is compromising the work. It will be great to see staffing and compensation addressed. A lot had changed in my time here, it’ll be great to keep the good and add even more.

Oct 22, 2018 – Senior Director of HR

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. We agree that our people are our number one asset and we’re glad to hear you value and enjoy your co-workers and clients, alike. We also pride... More

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at C Space full-time

Pros

You will work with impressive clients and gain experience.

Cons

The culture is toxic. Most of the company staff is tenured high-level employees coasting through the work week or new associate/associate consultants lacking experience. They have a huge retention problem, especially when it comes to overworked mid-level employees. They say they have hired over 100 people this year, which means that 20-25% of the company hasn't even been working there for a year.

You can expect a high stress, disorganized environment with long hours and low pay. Upper management is a lot of talk when it comes to improving these issues, however I never saw any improvements during my time at C Space. Instead they continued to sell business that could be properly staffed. HR's responses to the negative reviews are not what I experienced at C Space and I find the other low starred reviews to be accurate.

Advice to Management

Focus on making improvements to retain your mid level employees rather than replacing them.

Oct 19, 2018 – Senior Director of HR

These kind of reviews are hard to read. Your experience is upsetting to hear and obviously not the kind of company we want to work at either. While this it isn’t the experience of all, we hear you... More