C&S Wholesale Grocers Reviews in Keene, NH | Glassdoor

2.6
C&S Wholesale Grocers Chairman and CEO Rick Cohen
Rick Cohen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pay is decent and paid training (in 15 reviews)

• Coming into C&S as a selector you have the potential to make big money (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of stress and not a lot of work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Long hours, not enough one on one attention (in 35 reviews)

"VP"

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Given the free rain and opportunity to run a multimillion $ budget as desired, although responsible and accountable for preformance and results.

Cons

Privately held company which pulls benefits and bonuses at a whim if a large customer is lost or a forecasted loss is predicted, regardless of departmental goals.

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees who make this company successful.

"Time somewhat well spent"

Former Employee - Director in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Director in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

After you pay your dues, the money starts to come in. That could be seen as a con as well however. Good place to get your feet wet and then move on.

Cons

The finger-pointing and blame game is ridiculous at this company.....The HR department is completely useless, the direction of the new HR department was both confusing and wasteful. There is no work-life balance at all at this company, for years I've seen people feeling bad leaving early at the facilities I've worked in. The warehouse leadership teams are a joke and most of the guys in those positions have those positions simply because they stayed around and took the bs, then they just so happened to fall into their positions. I am convinced most of the warehouse leadership that came up through C&S could never work at another company. Supervisors are beaten and weathered, the turnover is unreal. From a supporting services standpoint, they treat their people like crap and it will be the companies downfall.

There really is no continuing education or support for professional certifications, many times the leaders above me were incompetent and had nothing to offer as far as training and career advancement went. There is no structure at all for that.

Advice to Management

Cut the number of VP's and department heads and pay your lower people more money. The turnover rate in this company will never be solved until C&S becomes a destination employer, that will never happen. I'd say focus on the robots and call it a day. It's a wrap when minimum wage goes up.

Pay what people are worth, stop making folks get outside job offers with higher compensation, then countering with higher salary. I've seen so many talented people leave for much better positions over the last 11 years, truly sad

3. "job opportunity review"

Current Intern - Intern in Keene, NH
    Current Intern - Intern in Keene, NH

I have been working at C&S Wholesale Grocers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great networking opportunities for this

Cons

nothing bad to say about this

"Political Bias in my Department"

Former Employee - Accountant in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Accountant in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mr. Cohen, the owner of C&S transformed the company from one warehouse in Brattleboro, VT to the largest wholesale grocer in the United States, props. C&S has a free company doctor and an excellent cafeteria.

Cons

The manager of my department was a BIG supporter of the Democratic party. Negative opinions of the Democratic party negatively change your performance reviews. Some in the department promote political discussions, taking the Democratic side, to gain favor. For conservatives, 50% of the population, this creates a toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Human Resources should remind managers to be POLITICALLY NEUTRAL during work hours and focus on corporate goals.

"Some smart, talented people, but lacking culture and direction"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some truly excellent managers there; the analytical and industry experience you gain is invaluable; the opportunity is endless if you're around the right people; senior management is approachable and friendly

Cons

Inflexible vacation policy; middle management lacks training and skills; most employees hate their job

Advice to Management

The company lacks any understanding of a modern workplace and remains, despite feedback, inflexible. Though much of senior management is truly brilliant and fantastic, it is sad that many employees assume they do not care. Simple improvements in culture and benefits as well as clearer, positive communication from the exec team would be welcomed.

"No Work Life Balance and Poor Communication From The Executive Team"

Former Employee - Executive in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Executive in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hard-working co-workers, an established and smart CEO, and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

As many others have already stated, the work-life balance is one of the biggest issues at C&S. Coupled with that, this is a company where you will work longer hours and get paid less compared to other companies with the same positions. The majority of upper management has been in place for quite some time and although change is a focus for some, it does not happen quick enough as I have seen many hard-working and great professionals leave this company and I anticipate this will continue to happen. Another area to point out for anyone looking to join this company is that communication is extremely poor. A large portion of the news is heard by 'word of mouth' and not from the top down like it should be.

Advice to Management

Speak to your people. Listen to all of your co-workers and not just as certain levels. Do not hide information that should be known to your employees.

"Awful culture - Former manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people:
    My employees and coworkers (Manager and below) were pretty fantastic. I have met some wonderful people.

Cons

The owner/CEO doesn't value his employees and it shows..
    -salaried employees are expected to work 45+ hours per (SVP level conveyed this to me).
    - Raises are offensively small; almost would be better not to give them
    - culture is to push those under you as hard as you possibly can
    - HIGH turnover
    - Health benefits are almost prohibitively expensive
    - Salary is below average even in the area

One of the main reasons I left:
    After losing a large customer Rick Cohen decided to make his employees pay for the 30m write off. He came to the site and asked his poorly paid employees to "Invest with him and upper management in the company (all of whom got bonuses)".. to make that investment he cancelled raises, and dropped the 401k match, referring to it as a nice to have. during the same meeting, he reviewed company financials that illustrated hundreds of Millions of dollars in profit. In the months following drastic cuts to employees benefits and compensation, the Company/CEO purchased not 1 but 3 competitors/companies (I understand this is for growth but the optics are terrible).

This company and its leadership will use. They do not care and don't even try to hide it.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees.
    Rick - You are supposed to sacrifice for your employees; NOT the other way around.

"Ridiculous and discriminatory compensation practices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively stable company, almost free health clinic for Keene/Brattleboro employees and their families, free flu shots and health screening every year.

Cons

Hire outsiders for Sr. Management rather than promote from within; High turnover at all levels; UNFAIR pay for work even based on their pay scales; Put a cap on how much of a pay increase they will ALLOW an employee to have even when moving into a higher pay grade position; Pay new college recruits more than long-time employees; Benefits continue to get worse while employee costs go up; No 401K match; No raises (even for cost of living adjustments) for employees while Directors and above still received their bonuses; Do not replace most positions when someone quite, they just give the work to others on the team with no promotion or pay increase

Advice to Management

Treat your employees fairly, pay them a fair wage for the work they're doing.

Stop hiring foreigners for Sr. Management positions. Promote the American, long-term employees who actually understand your business.

Stop crying poverty and financial hardship while spending hundreds of thousands on charity projects (like building a playground) when your employees are having a hard time paying heating bills and their ever increasing health care costs which you continue to slash to save yourself money.

Don't discriminate between your offices. Corporate drive employees were given new chairs, plants, the bull pen was painted, etc., etc. while the other offices had NO upgrades/improvements. I won't go into the conditions in the warehouse offices...

"Bad company culture"

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good for the Keene, NH area, fairly good size company, beautiful town

Cons

Cut throat culture, long and grueling hours, weekends required, no work life balance, horrible job training, no support from management

Advice to Management

Good people and talent are lost to how the employees are treated

"Very Good Summer Intern Program"

Former Employee - Intern in Keene, NH
    Former Employee - Intern in Keene, NH

I worked at C&S Wholesale Grocers (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning
    Time Management
    Working like a full time employee

Cons

There is no Cons as per my experience as my experience was short term