C1 Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Consultant in Summit, NJ

I worked at C1 Consulting full-time

Pros

Collegiate, high visibility, opportunities for career development

Cons

Long hours, though work from home fridays

Advice to Management

Continue your loyalty to employees

2. "Innovative and Collaborative"

I have been working at C1 Consulting full-time

Pros

Everyone at C1 is very driven, intelligent and focused.

Cons

Workload may vary depending on projects.

"Nice place to work, hope it stays that way"

Pros

Company does really good work, and clients are overall very satisfied

Cons

I think skills of employees are under utilized and as the company has grown quickly culture and fit has changed and is becoming more "cliquey"

Advice to Management

Generally could be more transparent

4. "Intelligent colleagues, some projects better than others"

Pros

Your peers will be incredibly intelligent, great diversity and commitment at all levels. There is really rich analytics expertise across the firm, pipeline strategy and market research as well not to mention really deep disease area/scientific experience that is highly diversified (especially in the less senior team members). Company leadership is very passionate. Work/life balance has its ups and downs but in the grand scheme of the consulting world its really good. No constant travel for most employees. The company is very proud of being merit-based and I've seen it in practice; also growing constantly, both in hires and clients.

Cons

Struggling to unite so many offices (100 employees spread across 5 locations) under a single company culture, this negatively effects some of the logistics and operations internally which could use a little work/streamlining. Not all projects are equally interesting (but they move and change consistently).

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your employees and company culture, especially to carry everyone through the current rapid growth. Make sure your employees get the benefits and breaks they need.

"Rewarding Experience"

I have been working at C1 Consulting full-time

Pros

As a candidate, I reviewed C1's Glassdoor page as part of my due diligence before accepting an opportunity. I have to say that I'm relieved I took the negative reviews with a grain of salt.

+ Benefits! Cost efficient health insurance program with an 80% employer contribution (dental and vision insurance offered as well). They offer flexible spending accounts, 401k, disability, life insurance and a profit-sharing program.
    + Culture. Every company that experiences a large amount of growth in a short time can go through growing pains. The owners realize the importance of engaging employees and implemented a culture committee to plan fun events (such as a trip to get frozen yogurt or a team building activity).
    + Training. C1 sets each employee up for success with a rigorous training schedule in the first two weeks. They also have monthly lunch and learns where either a Manager or higher leads the training, it's a nice way to get exposure to senior management.
    + Flexibility. C1 offers work from home every Friday and gives employees two hours of personal time a week.
    + Growth. It is amazing to learn about how quickly C1 has grown since 2004 and most of the new business has been based on referrals from our clients. I think this speaks volumes on the type of work we produce for our clients. After all, C1 stands for customers first.
    + Meritocracy. C1 is not afraid to promote employees, there is no structure that you have to wait 2 years before moving from an Associate Consultant to Consultant. Everyone respects each other no matter your title.

Cons

C1 has high expectations and as a small company, there is no place to hide or get lost in the shuffle. In order to succeed, you need to be willing to roll up your sleeves, dive into the work and occasionally put on a couple different hats. Not everyone is able to live up to the quality of work expectations.

Advice to Management

Continue your focus on investing in your employees through training and culture initiatives.

"Reputation for high quality work, good work/life balance, lots of opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at C1 Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

C1 has a great reputation among its clients for doing high quality work, which is essential for anyone interested in going client side after gaining a few years of consulting experience. Moreover it's good to feel proud of your deliverables and it keeps you motivated to put in your best effort.

Work/life balance is pretty good keeping in mind this is a consulting firm. The best part is that travel is minimal (maybe once a month) and every Friday is a work from home day. So even though weeks when projects are due can get rough during the weekdays, you will rarely have work that carries over into the weekend. The average workweek is between 50-60 hours. Management cares about work/life balance and has policies in place to make sure no one burns out.

C1 is a fast growing company. In the year that I've been here we have expanded from 4 to 6 offices and expanded our headcount by 30%. There are lots of opportunities for career growth at C1 and promotions are based on merit as far as I know.

The bad reviews on glassdoor are either untrue or were true at some point in time far in the past. Nobody that I know here has had bad experiences at C1. All my co-workers are genuinely authentic and friendly. I would say we almost have sort of a startup atmosphere in the office where we are part of a family.

Cons

Each office usually works with local clients in the area, which can mean many repeat clients. In general the diversity of clients at C1 is not as great but in part that is due to our size and niche market.

Weeks when multiple projects are reporting can get rough. Management usually tries to avoid staffing people in that way but sometimes there's no choice. Since most projects are 2-3 months in duration, and people are staffed on 2-4 projects at a time, the reporting weeks for some projects will inevitably overlap. The good thing is that if you have consecutive weeks like this you get a comp day in return.

Lastly the salary at C1 is a bit below comparable salaries at the big consulting firms. I think this is fair given that the workload is not as crazy as some of the bigger firms and given that C1 is not as recognized in industry circles as the bigger firms.

Advice to Management

It is not always clear how staffing on projects works. My one suggestion for management is to provide advance warning (whenever possible) to employees when they are being staffed on a new project, and to minimize additions of new team members midway through projects.

"Excellent place surrounded with smart people"

I have been working at C1 Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Project type are various. Working for analytics team you will learn tons of analysis tools and models. Each project you will meet some new challenges. 2. R&D are great, people working on new technology continuously to provide the most useful information to clients. 3.People are super friendly. They will provide help and suggestions anytime when you need them.

Cons

Work load during certain times of the year can be little heavy.

"Great mix of different projects with excellent office culture and people"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at C1 Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Variety in projects keeps it dynamic and challenging: Each project is different and you get the opportunity to work in more than one disease area, including rare diseases. As you get more experienced, you are given the chance to work on more complex projects providing continual growth and challenges without boredom

2. Fellow C1ers are super awesome: The folks working at C1 are very helpful (especially when you are new and learning about the various processes), have a strong work ethic and are great team players

3. Flat structure and well-designed feedback system: Upper management are more than willing to help with different aspects of the project and are continually working to incorporate feedback and improve the C1 experience

4. Perks: Free snacks/beverages, work from home Fridays, pretty frequent free lunches, end of project celebrations, random C1 holidays (got 2 in 2015), Wii nights, karaoke nights

Cons

Work load during certain times of the year can be pretty heavy leading to over 60 hour weeks. However, since I have joined, several mechanisms have been put into motion to help monitor weekly hours and staffing on projects

Advice to Management

As the company grows, please continue to keep structure flat and to hire folks that are a good fit for C1's values and culture

"Run....fast"

Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Work at home Friday. Salary

Cons

No training. Negative culture. No personal time. Face time in the office is very important to them. Discourage you from taking personal days.

Advice to Management

New hire training was generic. I was told my lack of experience in pharma could be overcome because of my analytic skills. Unfortunately for me, there was no training. Just criticism when I couldn't do something that they knew I didnt know enough to handle.

A 60 hour work week on an ongoing basis is the norm. You are expected to check and respond to emails 24/7. There is no such thing as personal time.

C1 has the potential to be a good place to work. Sadly, it isn't.

"Great place to learn"

Pros

Collaborative and very smart co-workers who I truly enjoy working with, exciting work, an environment where I have many opportunities to learn, a lot of training for new employees, promotion is based on my own performance and not how long I have been here

Cons

Some clients are too demanding and this can lead to busy days. Can be difficult to learn how to manage a difficult client. Teambuilding activities are really fun but we only do it a couple times a year

Advice to Management

Unfortunately someone in the company seems to have made a few ex-employees really, really mad, and these employees keep coming back here to submit reviews. I don’t really know the full history from 5 or 10 years ago but it just seems someone made a bad mistake and unfortunately hired/fired the wrong person who is still angry till today. Advice to management: make better hiring decisions, don’t hire just because we are growing so rapidly and need “anyone” to fill a position