C2 Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Peter Waller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The evening/weekend business hours during the school year can be useful for maintaining a second part-time job during the day" (in 21 reviews)

• "I love working with the kids and my Center Director is AMAZING" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "3 to 1 student to tutor ratio does not work with all students" (in 28 reviews)

• "Quality of a center depends on Center Director" (in 41 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Subject Tutor"

I have been working at C2 Education part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, access to material, training, communication between tutor and center director

Cons

Slow seasons means less hours, but they work hard to accommodate schedules. Also, experience will vary depending on center

C2 Education Response

Sep 5, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We are very happy to hear that you are having a positive experience with us.

2. "Fun Job, Decent Pay"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at C2 Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great students
    Flexible Schedules
    Easy to Pickup
    Textbooks Provided
    Very Open Channel of Communication Between Employer and Employee

Cons

Hours are usually late, so more for single people
    Pay could definitely be better
    Tech is a bit slow, and the furniture is a tad uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Your energy often mirrors the energy of your employees. If you keep the environment positive and open, I think everyone should prosper!

3. "C2 Education Hourly Rate Part Time Teacher"

I have been working at C2 Education part-time

Pros

Great option for tutors who don't want to or don't have the time to build their own client base. You don't have to travel from one house to another, schedule your own students, worry about how you're getting paid, or advertise to get new students. The admin staff also keeps the parents out of the teaching area; any compliments, complaints, or requests are relayed through the center director or program leads to the teacher.

Cons

There is no way to guarantee consistent hours unless you're very good and/or teach multiple difficult or specific subjects, particularly AP bio, chem, physics, calculus, and stats. Low base pay and maximum hourly pay compared to private tutoring ($16-28/hour).

4. "Good Company Culture"

Current Employee - Teacher in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at C2 Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not sure if it is the particular location that I work at or the company as a whole, but this center in Paramus is a great place to work! The people are friendly, it's a diverse environment (both with the students as well as the staff) and everyone puts the kids first.

Cons

There aren't any, really. Seriously, just keep doing what you're doing.

5. "Center Director"

I worked at C2 Education full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to develop business skills and management.

Cons

Continuous turnover, uncomfortable environment. Hours are not conducive for a healthy lifestyle or work life balance.

Advice to Management

Be very clear in the interview about the job title, care more about your employees and their needs. You keep your people happy, then they will stay.

6. "3-1 model ruins the job"

I have been working at C2 Education part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, ok hourly rate.

Cons

The company's 3-1 teaching structure is terrible. You have up to 3 students at a time each studying a different subject. Constant jumping back and forth between students, and the schedule changes so much you never really know what 3 students you are going to have until everyone shows up.

7. "English Tutor at C2 Education"

I worked at C2 Education part-time

Pros

Working as a tutor at C2 Education, I had a flexible schedule and was paid fairly well. The work is great if you like teaching and tutoring.

Cons

The tutoring sessions are supposed to be one-on-one but you will have three students at a time. You are expected to give them a one-on-one experience, which can be stressful. You have to get used to splitting your time among your students.

8. "Good"

I worked at C2 Education part-time

Pros

Ability to have a flexible schedule

Cons

Mostly evening and weekend hours

"Company lacks full-time positions for teachers"

I have been working at C2 Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary can be okay if you negotiate well.
    The kids are great to work with in general.

Cons

Company nickel and dimes employees wherever possible. 5 minutes of preparation time is allowed per 3 students for a 2 hour personalized lesson with each student, each getting a unique lesson plan, yet teaching 3 students at a time. If you want additional time you must get special permission and it is paid at minimum wage rather than your teaching pay rate. Meetings are also paid at minimum wage. Constructive feedback for the company is brushed aside as well. The materials we use have many typos and incorrect questions yet we are told not to tell the students that the questions are wrong which can be a tricky position to be in.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees well and treat them how you would want to be treated in the workplace. The teachers are the ones making you money and yet they are possibly the least respected people in the company.

10. "Favoritism is a Policy Here"

Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at C2 Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Flexible Scheduling
    -Decent Pay
    -Free resources
    -Easy commute

Cons

-Students cancel last minute with very little notice given. I was once told not to come to work as I was driving to the office. I received no compensation

-Management and parents play favorites with tutors. They will ensure that whenever that their favorite tutors get lots of hours, but will leave scraps to other tutors. One of my 2 week pay periods ended up having only have 4 hours of work.

-The center prioritizes numbers at the expense of teachers. They will hire more tutors than they can give hours to, which leaves certain tutors pinched for hours.

-Managers are very superficial and only enforce dress code based on how much they like certain tutors. If management likes you enough you can come into work wearing a hoodie and yoga pants despite the dress code being "business casual"
    -Teachers are treated as a commodity. At any time, a manager can ask you to commute 1-2 hours one way to teach at another center for as little as 4 hours and will only compensate for gas 1 way.

-Managers are also out of touch with the needs and struggles of teachers. They will claim that a 2 hour travel time isn't much when most teachers only work part time.

-If you don't fit into their image of what a perfect teacher looks like, forget about decent treatment. If you happen to have any cosmetic issues, management will passive-aggressively single you out.

-Very little chance for growth as a teacher. Pay raises happen very slowly and infrequently.

Advice to Management

-Be more understanding with teachers and PLs. They are the backbone of the business. Put yourself in their shoes and ask if you could live off of what they are getting paid.

-Evaluate the culture and the values of the company. Institutions like C2 only serve to widen the achievement gap between rich and poor students.