C2 Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Peter Waller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • This is a good part-time job for those pursuing higher education or are thinking about teaching as a full-time career (in 19 reviews)

• Center Director seems nice, place has good vibe (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • The 3 to 1 student ration is terrible (in 27 reviews)

• Center Directors are turned into telemarketers instead of educators (in 38 reviews)

1. "Overall a Great Experience!"

I have been working at C2 Education part-time

Pros

-flexible schedule
    -you only have to worry about actually teaching

Cons

-3:1 ratio makes it difficult to keep track of what you are doing
    -lots of pointless documentation

2. "Center Director"

Current Employee - Center Director
    Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at C2 Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

C2 believes in rewarding those who do well and work hard. Incentive compensation for CD's who hit budget is fair and performance-based raises are given to CD's annually (tutors and program leads are eligible twice per year). C2 is increasingly offering opportunities for professional development that make the C2 gig easier and touch on skills apt to help you if you move to another company. Recent cultural changes do re-emphasize education, but other reviews aren't wrong: It's a sales job. No recruiter or manager will pretend otherwise when they hire you. If you're good at your job, you also get to participate in the academics, develop your teaching staff, and engage with families. If you're not, then you will spend a whole lot of time calling leads who don't want to sign up.

Cons

The quality varies Center to Center and District to District. While we're not franchised, sometimes it can feel like we are because your individual know-how really determines how good your Center is. District Managers and their style also varies from place to place and as result can impact the national view employees have of their companies. My DM is very stern and tough and pushes us to increase our goals which can be frustrating at times. While policies are very clear, it doesn't always feel as though they are enforced. At least 2 CDs in my district have done things that have seemed like termination offenses only to stay on with zero consequences.

Work-Life balance can be a con for some. Certainly, the split weekend is a nightmare. I don't mind working on Saturdays, but it would be nice to have Sunday-Monday off if that's the case. Overall, I do not personally have a work-life balance concern and this is just something small that would probably help retain staff.

Advice to Management

Refine and enforce protocol especially HR protocol. I know high turnover is a concern, but don't keep employees who can't do the job just to fight turnover. Have RDs and upper management better engaged at the CD level so that weird DM behavior can be dealt with. Invest in Center refurbishment rather than flying us all to Atlanta. As fun as our annual meeting was, I'd much rather have a fresh coat of pain in my lobby or a new a rug.

3. "Great place to work for some extra $$"

Current Employee - Tutor in Laguna, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Laguna, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at C2 Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training; small group setting; great students

Cons

Can be sometimes difficult to record and monitor student progress; evaluation system isn't foolproof.

4. "Center Director"

I have been working at C2 Education full-time

Pros

*There is a lot of room for growth.
    *There is a lot of professional development opportunities.
    *The work is overall rewarding.

Cons

*Each Center Director is responsible for marketing with not much of a budget.
    *It is hard to find quality teachers because our standards are very high.

Advice to Management

Poor more into marketing efforts via social media and help with better teacher recruiting.

5. "Good Experience, but Lacks Support"

Former Employee - Tutor in North Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Tutor in North Edison, NJ

I worked at C2 Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent part-time gig or summer gig for teachers looking to keep their skills sharp
    - Middle Management (at least in my center in Edison) extremely strong and flexible
    - Coworkers are wonderful and supportive
    - Free pizza every once in a while

Cons

- Top-heavy company
    - Resources are sometimes lacking
    - Facility in poor condition

Advice to Management

It's a nice job, but there are some clear shortcomings that need to be addressed. While the Center Directors are working diligently to make their centers better, they are often blocked or delayed by upper management. Give your center directors more freedom, and you will see the performance increase tremendously.

6. "Solid part-time job"

I have been working at C2 Education part-time

Pros

Initial training is excellent
    Can decide weekly schedule to a limited degree
    Class material provided is of above standard quality
    Students really do benefit from tutoring sessions

Cons

Last minute scheduling changes can be frustrating
    Quality of a center depends on Center Director

Advice to Management

Training on AP Subjects would be beneficial

7. "It's okay, pays well enough, but don't expect to get hours"

Former Employee - SAT/ACT Tutor in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - SAT/ACT Tutor in Clifton, NJ

I worked at C2 Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for a job that requires basically no experience. Some of the students are very interesting, and teaching can be very rewarding.

Cons

Only get the teacher rate when teaching. When you start you won't have many hours. The 3 students to 1 teacher is super stressful and not in the best interest of the students. Coworker finally after 1 year of full time got health care benefits, but she had to fight tooth and nail to get it. Each session is 2 hours long, with a 5 minute break between each of them. Get 30 minute lunch, which inevitably gets eaten by students asking questions.

Advice to Management

Fire all your high paid marketing people and pump that money into teachers, because each center does their own advertising and I'm not even sure what the marketers are even doing. Lower your costs and treat your teachers better, they are literally the people who carry your company.

8. "Rewarding and frustrating"

Former Employee - Teacher in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in San Jose, CA

I worked at C2 Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Students were generally diligent
    -pay was better than most tutoring companies
    -flexible work hours
    -mgmt in office was great and accommodating
    -exciting to see students grow over time

Cons

-the teach three students at once model was difficult
    -the company model seems a bit like a scam. Not interested in education but rather getting students to come regularly for more profit.
    -company guidelines on teaching do not seem focused on education

Advice to Management

In house management was great, the business model superseded the educational model and this was very evident to the educators on staff.

9. "Rewarding work, flexible hours, excellent company culture"

Current Employee - Math T in Gainesville, VA
    Current Employee - Math T in Gainesville, VA

I have been working at C2 Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is very rewarding seeing students improve their understanding of concepts in mathematics and science over time. C2 Education specializes in SAT/ACT and other test preparation, so they have a fairly strong curriculum for high school students.

Cons

Curriculum is less developed for younger students, which can make it a challenge to keep the material fresh.

10. "Unreliable"

I worked at C2 Education part-time

Pros

-Solid pay for the region
    -Litany of materials at hand
    -Admin staff goes out of their way to work with your schedule
    -Kids are usually great, treat you with respect, act like your insight means something, etc.

Cons

-Unreliable hours
    -Preference given to tutors who are capable of teaching multiple subjects. If you're, say, an English-only tutor, and the center brings in 2-3 tutors who do both Math *and* English, good luck even getting enough to hours to pay for your gas to and from work. Specialized tutors are basically second-class citizens in this model.
    -Job performance is never really evaluated