C2 Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 15, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Peter Waller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The evening/weekend business hours during the school year can be useful for maintaining a second part-time job during the day (in 20 reviews)

• Center Director seems nice, place has good vibe (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • The 3 to 1 student ration is terrible (in 27 reviews)

• Quality of a center depends on Center Director (in 36 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Center Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at C2 Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The hours are great and the students make everything worth it. Seeing students succeed at their dreams reminds you that dreams are possible.

Cons

Conflicting SOP guidelines. When process and procedure change it seems to get lost going through the channels. Also, marketing needs to be more focused on a local level. The broad marketing is a good start but understanding the communities that the centers are in is imperative.

Advice to Management

Marketing to actually understand the local market. Not every market has the same base and different solutions may work in different areas. Also, allowing for center locations to be printed on emprint materials could help a lot when centers are doing events.

2. "Not bad for part time"

I have been working at C2 Education part-time

Pros

Kids are great to work with. Working with them keeps you humble.

Cons

Can be at time a bit of a meat grinder.

Advice to Management

Test and proofread your company materials first before trying to sell them to customers! Nothing wrong with leaving on the good 'ol Princeton Review for exemplar curriculum.

3. "The Cons Outweigh the Pros"

Current Employee - Academic Tutor
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor

I have been working at C2 Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

$23/hour
    The tutoring center is accepting of all students whose families can foot the bill of attendance.
    This is a respectable job to commit to.
    The job may foster your empathy for the community.
    You learn about teaching, yourself, and are pressured to keep up with Language Arts, STEM, History, and so on. This isn't a bad thing; it's a pro because of the amount of learning you must do on your part to be an effective tutor.

Cons

I'm not allowed to tell students certain things, like if I'm a new tutor. It's because Center Directors are afraid of scaring students away from C2 Education. It's so hush-hush sometimes and I'm annoyed at this particular type of secrecy. They guessed I was new, anyway.

Though it's a more respectable and altruistic job, there are no benefits in sight for part-timers, and tutors often have other part-time jobs or are fresh college grads.

Not everyone will care as much about teaching as you do. There is a strong focus on profit and test results because it's the foundation of this business model.

C2 Education's curriculum is questionable and all the teacher resources are stored in tens to sift through for answer keys. Not every answer key has an explanation guide and some answers were even crossed out by past tutors. What madness is this?

A student and I couldn't justify one question and answer in the SAT answer guide. It didn't make sense. The question and the answer did not align properly. It must have been a typo. Other tutors put up with this nonsense and we all just grin and bear it.

The new teacher training module neglects to teach you how to manage and tutor students requiring vast differentiation and special services, like students with autism.

Some students don't show up consistently and consequently lose out on effective tutoring. There's no way around this, but you as the tutor may not be able to demonstrate effectiveness if they wait two weeks or more between tutoring sessions.

Advice to Management

Provide better resources for teachers. New editions are desperately needed. Resources should not have typos and clearly wrong answers. Teachers should be allowed to use whiteboards and technology.

4. "They Really Like Hiring People"

Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor
    Current Employee - Teacher/Tutor

I have been working at C2 Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engaging work, Okay pay, if you have a good boss who brings in students it works out well.

Cons

They just hire people. You barely have enough students to keep one person busy, and their solution is to hire another one, split the students, and pay you less.

Advice to Management

Two teachers each working two hours a day will be less happy than one teacher working four hours.

5. "Great Company Overall!"

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at C2 Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great people, really nice and willing to help
    - Comprehensive, thorough, interactive training

Cons

- Lesson preparation time is a little too short if you have a lot of students to tutor that day

Advice to Management

- Have more opportunities for employees to bond with each other. Maybe even with the students, outside of sessions.
    - There could be a little more time between sessions for the tutors to prepare their lessons.

6. "Adaptability and flexibility"

Former Employee - Tutor in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Fairfax, VA

I worked at C2 Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with students anywhere from kindergarten to post-graduate. Every day was new and interesting. The company's materials for SAT prep and grade school skill development are excellent, allowing a good rapport between tutors and students. My work with the company was while I was on medical leave from college; the level of engagement was exactly what I needed.

Cons

Shift flexibility was necessary - I sometimes came in to find I'd been scheduled for two more slots (+4 hours) than I'd prepared for, which caused some friction.

Advice to Management

Ensure good communication between schedulers and tutors.

7. "Great for part-time work"

I worked at C2 Education part-time

Pros

Coworkers and staff are wonderful people to work with.

Cons

They won't give you a full 40 hour work period but be close to it, like 38 or so.

8. "Good Company Overall"

I worked at C2 Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly good pay, management was easy to work.

Cons

Sometimes had to tutor kids in subjects/areas you were unprepared for.

9. "Program Lead"

Current Employee - Program Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Program Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at C2 Education part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with students and families

Cons

Hours are hard to be sustainable for too long

"Think again about working here"

I worked at C2 Education part-time

Pros

- Students are motivated and friendly for the most part

Cons

- You won't know your schedule for the next day until the morning of because of their 12-hour policy
    - The hours are long since the center is open past 9pm
    - Underpaid... especially because you're teaching 3 students
    - They lure you in by promising a salary boost after 6 months, which never happened for me
    - The employee discount is useless if you don't have kids/grandchildren

C2 Education Response

May 8, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with us. We value our teachers and want to make sure they have the resources... More