KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

C2 Education

Engaged Employer

C2 Education

Add a Review

C2 Education Employee Reviews about "center director"

Updated Sep 3, 2021

Found 89 of over 689 reviews

3.4
C2 Education CEO Mac Gamse (no image)
Mac Gamse
Pros
  • "flexible hours, virtual, people are great(in 56 reviews)

• "Flexible Hours, Fair Compensation, Good Resources for Tutors(in 50 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Not fixed income, tutors are not full-time employee(in 93 reviews)

• "If you are the Center Director, you have to promote the center by marketing during your off time(in 55 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,873

959 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of C2 Education and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "center director"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Teacher

Jan 15, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, C2 Curriculum, certification/training, meetings between teacher and center director

Cons

Demand for teachers, less hours

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

All about the Benjamins

May 25, 2021 - Teacher in Cupertino, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Since it's required that teachers have a degree, most of your colleagues are intelligent. It's fun working with the kids who almost universally are strongly motivated. Staff ask teachers their availability each season, so teachers can set their hours. (Center directors, on the other hand, work long hours and are under a lot of stress to maximize enrollment.) It's a good gig if you have something else, but not as your primary gig.

Cons

As someone once explained it, it's education run on a retail or fast food model. All the teachers, except one lead teacher are part time and without benefits. Two key measures centers a judge by are student-teacher ratio and the number of enrollments. Teachers teach 3:1, rather than 1:1. This minimizes the necessary human capital (teachers) while maximizing the students. If three students aren't enrolled in a class session, the center can drop the class or consolidate the students into another teacher's class. This can be difficult to manage, as each of the students is studying something different. Another practice that allows the company to make money at teachers' expense has to do with the notification period. Families must notify the center 24-hours in advance of an absence, while the center is required to notify teachers 12-hours in advance. So, it's possible that a family will be charged for a session, but the teacher will not be paid for said session.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not bad

Sep 3, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can earn bonus if you work hard

Cons

the managers micromanage all center directors

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Don't be a center director

Aug 14, 2021 - Center Director in Coppell, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Center director can study and learn a lot of things of education by herself and improve sales skill.

Cons

Because of non competition agreement sign up, cannot open your own learning center. little training for education, a lot of training for sales. Very stressful to hit the monthly sales amount goal. Even in H2 visa sponsorship, they fired if the monthly sales amount is very low. Need to be careful to work over there.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stressful and strange hours, but a decent early-career job

Sep 3, 2020 - Education Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Decent Pay - Eligible for bonuses a few times a year if you hit (ambitious) center budget targets - Opportunities to learn - Vacation days, personal days, and sick days (depending on your state) if you are full-time - Handled the pandemic (transition to remote work) decently well - Surrounded by really intelligent people (the tutors) so the water cooler discussions are a lot of fun! - After a while you will likely be considered for a promotion to Center Director, if you are interested

Cons

- No unified training for ECs, completely dependent on Center Director - High turnover - Strange involvement in sales (you are expected to "sell" to new families, but cannot tell them certain program details) - Hours are bizarre, and you don't get 2 days off in a row at small/medium sized centers

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0

Unsupportive work environment

Mar 29, 2021 - Center Director in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Getting to assess student's academic performance to recommend the best way to support them.

Cons

The company does not support the centers or the employees in gathering strong leads. If you are the Center Director, you have to promote the center by marketing during your off time.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 3.0

Good for Part-Time Work, Not for Full-Time Employment

Apr 7, 2020 - Math Tutor in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the students are motivated and a pleasure to work with. The material is interesting for the first few months but then gets stale. It is a good way to brush up on the fundamentals before starting graduate school or as a real teacher.

Cons

Training takes a month so don't expect to start immediately. Some of the management really only cares about metrics. Certain center directors try to maximize their the student to teacher ratio (3:1 is the max) by cancelling tutors' hours or rearranging classes so that there are 2-4 hour breaks in the middle of the day. This leads to poor retention and makes it difficult to have enough hours. If you work 5 days a week, it's only 30-32 hours during the school year and 40 during the summer. Health insurance kicks in after 1 year of working with at least 145 hours per month averaged over a year (including holidays). It's basically impossible for tutors to get it. Raises are twice a year and up to 3% based on performance. I'd only recommend working here for supplemental income or for someone who doesn't mind working part-time during the evenings.

8. 2.0

Terrible Management & Under-appreciation of employees

Sep 18, 2020 - Center Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

My experience was so negative that I have nothing positive to say.

Cons

During my employment with C2 Education, I felt demeaned and under appreciated. The District Manager who was my direct supervisor was nothing less than a bully. When I had applied for the job, the description said I would be Center Director of the location where the District Manager was managing, which seemed odd at the time. When I had accepted the job offer, I was then told that the center I was going to be managing was another location, about an hour away from that center. When I was in the interview, I was told that I would get very detailed training to prepare me for the job. But during said training, I was given a book to read and "study", and told to use the enclosed "testing space" to do that. The District Manager said that after I was done "studying" the "handbook" I could ask her any questions if I had any doubts or if I didn't understand something. After I was done reading that book I had some questions and off course I went to the DM to ask her, and her response to ALL my questions were: Shouldn't you already know that? It should be in the handbook. I quickly realized that she wouldn't answer any of my questions and if she did, she made me feel extremely inadequate. After that "training" I was instructed to "shadow" the DM, that shadowing was in the form of me sitting outside of her office right by the door when she had conferences with parents while I listened in to what/how she managed the situation. Another thing that stuck out to me was that the DM was very clear in all the rules that I would have to follow when I took over the other center. She always said that I was NEVER to let any parent wait, and to always be on time for parent conferences. One of the "rules" that stuck out the most was for me to ALWAYS be on time and always be the one opening the Center for business hours. During my training, I noticed that she herself did NOT follow her own rules. She would always have her Assistant Manager or one of her tutors to open the doors for business hours and she herself would get to the Center hours later. Sometimes she would even make parents wait while she got situated after getting to work there. Once that training was done, I was sent away to the Center I was to manage (which was not the center that I originally applied to manage). The DM was in her Center managing it, while I was at mine doing my job. I never received any support or help from her while I worked there. The occasional times she would call, she would always demand things and make me feel bad. I also was made aware by other employees that the DM and Center Directors were to have weekly face-to-face meetings to discuss things about the Centers, but we never did. This job also has such odd working hours. If you want to have a social life, don't work here. You'll be working from noon all the way to 10:00pm sometimes. All in all, my experience working for C2 Education scarred me and I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here.

10 people found this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Current Employee

Decent, but not great job for tutors

Sep 15, 2020 - Tutor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall they provide a decent setting for students to receive tutoring. Tutors are nice and good people. Materials provided.

Cons

Some of the materials are not that great. The three to one teaching, as well as student's schedules, can get hectic. Some center directors are better to work for than others.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A good other job

Jan 9, 2020 - Teacher in Pittsburgh, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you like teaching and working with committed students, you'll enjoy this job. Hopefully you will have a good center director like I have had.

Cons

Given that my position is literally the value creator for the company, you would think we (teachers) would be given gratitude. I kid you not, one year the teacher appreciation was observed by letting us wear what we wanted. The materials are not edited carefully and are not updated on a regular schedule. The management seems more concerned with producing leads than making sure the quality of the product is excellent. No windows. Seniority does not mean that you will receive the most hours at your center. This is effectively a zero-hour contract job.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 89 Reviews