KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

C2 Education

Engaged Employer

C2 Education

Add a Review

C2 Education Employee Reviews about "tutors"

Updated Jul 26, 2021

Found 121 of over 743 reviews

3.5
C2 Education CEO Mac Gamse (no image)
Mac Gamse

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,890

960 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "time hours are flexible enough to work around employees' personal lives(in 53 reviews)
  • "The pay is decent; it’s not as much as one(in 52 reviews)
  • "Flexible scheduling (I work part time while I complete a Masters degree in Math).(in 26 reviews)
  • "Great people to work with(in 21 reviews)
  • "Working as a tutor at C2 Education, I had a flexible schedule and was paid fairly well.(in 17 reviews)
Cons
  • "They still have employees coming in 40 hours a week with no benefits because they are labeled as part time.(in 45 reviews)
  • "Poor management leads to high turnover.(in 43 reviews)
  • "There's no training so you're yelled at for every mistake you make though you don't know how to do a lot.(in 24 reviews)
  • "Upper management is exploiting their directors and there is little room for growth(in 20 reviews)
  • "Salary is low so you can not earn too much money if you need to earn much more money than they offer.(in 18 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of C2 Education and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "tutors"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Relaxed environment to work at

Jun 5, 2020 - Math Tutor in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are great here and students are very courteous

Cons

Very unstable hours for most tutors

2. 2.0
    Former Employee

fine first job

Jul 26, 2021 - Tutor in Gillette, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

pay is alright, flexible hours, supportive team and I have nothing more to say than it was a fine experience.

Cons

no benefits for tutors, I didn't get a raise for nearly two years during COVID, no opportunities for advancement and nothing more to say.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't expect loyalty

Nov 30, 2020 - Math Tutor in Beaverton, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

It can offer convenient extra money if you have the verbal or math skills they need.

Cons

When they advertised, they wanted at least a 9 month commitment, because apparently many employees work only a short time after being trained and quit with little notice. I made that commitment, but then was terminated without any warning or chance to improve on giving them what they wanted. Not sure I would have wanted to. They push the students pretty hard to get through the maximum number of problems in two hours. I think too hard. But in fairness, this is probably what a lot of the parents want. But also makes the work very intense for the tutors. Rush-rush-rush.

3 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee

Depend on the Center director

Feb 24, 2021 - Tutor in Houston, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, working with children, being a mentor, 401k

Cons

Not fixed income, tutors are not full-time employee

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company for post-college work and extra cash

Jan 26, 2021 - Teacher in Westport, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible Hours, Fair Compensation, Good Resources for Tutors

Cons

Full-Time Work Discouraged, Usually only evening hours

6. 3.0

Good for Part-Time Work, Not for Full-Time Employment

Apr 7, 2020 - Math Tutor in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Most of the students are motivated and a pleasure to work with. The material is interesting for the first few months but then gets stale. It is a good way to brush up on the fundamentals before starting graduate school or as a real teacher.

Cons

Training takes a month so don't expect to start immediately. Some of the management really only cares about metrics. Certain center directors try to maximize their the student to teacher ratio (3:1 is the max) by cancelling tutors' hours or rearranging classes so that there are 2-4 hour breaks in the middle of the day. This leads to poor retention and makes it difficult to have enough hours. If you work 5 days a week, it's only 30-32 hours during the school year and 40 during the summer. Health insurance kicks in after 1 year of working with at least 145 hours per month averaged over a year (including holidays). It's basically impossible for tutors to get it. Raises are twice a year and up to 3% based on performance. I'd only recommend working here for supplemental income or for someone who doesn't mind working part-time during the evenings.

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0

Terrible Management & Under-appreciation of employees

Sep 18, 2020 - Center Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

My experience was so negative that I have nothing positive to say.

Cons

During my employment with C2 Education, I felt demeaned and under appreciated. The District Manager who was my direct supervisor was nothing less than a bully. When I had applied for the job, the description said I would be Center Director of the location where the District Manager was managing, which seemed odd at the time. When I had accepted the job offer, I was then told that the center I was going to be managing was another location, about an hour away from that center. When I was in the interview, I was told that I would get very detailed training to prepare me for the job. But during said training, I was given a book to read and "study", and told to use the enclosed "testing space" to do that. The District Manager said that after I was done "studying" the "handbook" I could ask her any questions if I had any doubts or if I didn't understand something. After I was done reading that book I had some questions and off course I went to the DM to ask her, and her response to ALL my questions were: Shouldn't you already know that? It should be in the handbook. I quickly realized that she wouldn't answer any of my questions and if she did, she made me feel extremely inadequate. After that "training" I was instructed to "shadow" the DM, that shadowing was in the form of me sitting outside of her office right by the door when she had conferences with parents while I listened in to what/how she managed the situation. Another thing that stuck out to me was that the DM was very clear in all the rules that I would have to follow when I took over the other center. She always said that I was NEVER to let any parent wait, and to always be on time for parent conferences. One of the "rules" that stuck out the most was for me to ALWAYS be on time and always be the one opening the Center for business hours. During my training, I noticed that she herself did NOT follow her own rules. She would always have her Assistant Manager or one of her tutors to open the doors for business hours and she herself would get to the Center hours later. Sometimes she would even make parents wait while she got situated after getting to work there. Once that training was done, I was sent away to the Center I was to manage (which was not the center that I originally applied to manage). The DM was in her Center managing it, while I was at mine doing my job. I never received any support or help from her while I worked there. The occasional times she would call, she would always demand things and make me feel bad. I also was made aware by other employees that the DM and Center Directors were to have weekly face-to-face meetings to discuss things about the Centers, but we never did. This job also has such odd working hours. If you want to have a social life, don't work here. You'll be working from noon all the way to 10:00pm sometimes. All in all, my experience working for C2 Education scarred me and I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here.

10 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Employee

Decent, but not great job for tutors

Sep 15, 2020 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall they provide a decent setting for students to receive tutoring. Tutors are nice and good people. Materials provided.

Cons

Some of the materials are not that great. The three to one teaching, as well as student's schedules, can get hectic. Some center directors are better to work for than others.

1 person found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very Supportive and Collaborative Work Environment

Jan 17, 2020 - Tutor in Little Neck, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

C2 Education at Little Neck fosters a supportive work environment for the staff. Everyone is open to hearing new ideas on ways the center can help improve student performance. Each student plan follows an individualized plan of study. The teachers are encouraging and reassuring which helps the students be more enthusiastic and motivated to learn.

Cons

When a student wants to change his/her curriculum suddenly, it can be a little difficult on the tutors' end to find new study materials that would work best for the student's style of learning. This is not a big con and can be solved easily with proper communication with the EC and CD.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Would not recommend

Jul 29, 2020 - Tutor in San Ramon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of hours during the summer. - Flexibility in terms of setting your hours. - Opportunity to build skill - you are teaching CONSTANTLY in that building, as well as multitasking very hard.

Cons

- Extreme disorganization caused in part by high volume and in part by unnecessarily complicated C2 procedures. - Unexpectedly culturally conservative: I am a butch lesbian who was working at a C2 location in the Bay Area. I was written up for wearing the same outfits the men at my C2 location wore (plain logoless t-shirt, nice jeans, nice sneakers - this was during the summer sessions when the heat was bad). Once, I was also the only employee handed a dress code paper with the dress code clearly delineated by gender. I know this because I watched my coworkers wearing the exact same outfits all clock out as my supervisor handed me the paper and explained my ostensible violations. Eventually, I showed up wearing a suit jacket and chinos every day until I found a new place. - High turnover. -Not enough time to prep. - Not enough time to do the ridiculous folder busywork that C2 asks tutors to do *while teaching.* - You don't really get breaks. Most tutors have to use their lunch and their 15s to either do clean up from a previous session or finish prep for the next ones. - A truly foolish amount of training that is not consistent and that you are not compensated for in a timely fashion. - 3:1 model is not enough for students who legitimately need the help. Pay's very blatantly not enough for tutoring 3 students at once. They're getting $300+ out of every hour you get paid $20. - They don't abide by California employment law, and they've been sued for it. In my experience, that didn't affect their practices at all. In my own case, besides not having breaks respected, C2 also knew my last day well in advance. CA law says they needed to have my paycheck there, and I was counting on that, because I knew California employment law. They paid me several days late, and paid a hefty penalty rather than pay me on time. I do not believe they'd have paid the penalty if I didn't tell Payroll I'd be looking for the extra money on my final deposit, so please be aware of your rights if you do plan to work for C2.

4 people found this review helpful