C2 Education "tutors" Reviews | Glassdoor

C2 Education Employee Reviews about "tutors"

Updated Sep 9, 2019

2.9
C2 Education CEO Peter Waller (no image)
Peter Waller
Pros
  • "C2 creates an environment that allows tutors to truly assist their students(in 44 reviews)

• "Flexible, C2 Curriculum, certification/training, meetings between teacher and center director(in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "The students get different tutors every time with no consistency(in 85 reviews)

• "Communication can be hit or miss, dependent on center director / coordinator(in 47 reviews)

Reviews about "tutors"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"People and Education"

Current Employee - Center Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at C2 Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best job I've ever had. Flexible and you get to run your center like you own the business. Senior management doesn't micromanage if you're doing your job. This job is result driven. If you make good connection with your staffs, tutors, and families, this job is not that hard!

Cons

Some people complained we are selling expensive packages, that's because they're selling the smallest package that doesn't even make sense. We need to build a long term plan and provide short term goals every month and track their progress. And if you can't deliver the result, don't ever overpromise to families. Make a reasonable goal, and show parents the progress, then everyone is happy. The average hourly rate... families paid at my center is $50-60/hr. This is very reasonable as we tailor the academic plan and offer a customized program to each individual.

Advice to Management

Do more C2 brand marketing support in the region for all centers. I understand there is a budget every month, but don't rely on high performing centers to over perform every month, train others to do the job instead. We all share the same market, if we can do it, others can do it. Directors are not sales, they are education consultants and college counselors.

C2 Education2019-06-16

"A good environment"

I have been working at C2 Education

Pros

C2 creates an environment that allows tutors to truly assist their students.

Cons

It can be difficult to find steady hours.

C2 Education2018-06-07

"Easy Side Gig"

Current Employee - Tutor in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at C2 Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Allowed to retake SAT until above 95% - With ACT / ACT prep you can follow their material or have them purchase more - Flexible summer hours - Works well with a regular day job - Snacks or coffee sometimes available, depending on center - Will pay for a tutor to drive to other centers that aren't their "home" center

Cons

- "GPA" or tutoring for high school classes does not come with any additional material - Only given 10 minutes to prepare for a session (panic-inducing for new tutors) - School year hours can be 1:30 - 10 PM - Communication can be hit or miss, dependent on center director / coordinator - No benefits - Tutoring 3 students at a time does not increase wage, paid by session. - Had to ask and use personal time to... set up travel reimbursement - Test prep material often has errors that confuse student and tutor - Some centers are disorganized and stressful - A tutor could easily make 100 / hour tutoring one on one while C2 only pays around 26 / hour

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees about their preferences and availability with scheduling. Provide cash incentives or raises.

C2 Education2019-09-09

"Ok"

Former Employee - Math Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at C2 Education part-time for more than a year

Pros

Many kids are nice and you create and the job is easy most of the time.

Cons

Not enough hours, pay is not good, the tutors are not taken into account and the culture seems to be to do anything to maximize profitability.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and take care of your tutors.

C2 Education2019-08-29

"Horrible work environment"

Former Employee - Center Director in New York, NY

I worked at C2 Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with some nice families. Easy to park near Center. Snacks available.

Cons

Despite efforts to present itself as an education company, it is all about sales, and the product is a hard sell. The 3:1 may work in theory, but few tutors adhere to it, and the director is too busy selling to manage the teaching staff properly. A lot of time is wasted on lead calls, often calling people who clearly are not interested. The turnover is huge, from the corporate leadership to the tutors. This is not... the sign of a well managed enterprise. Most people I trained with have quit or been let go.

C2 Education2019-09-03

"Nice people, total dissaray"

Former Employee - Tutor in McLean, VA

I worked at C2 Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice and office has a nice atmosphere. Pay is on time and direct deposited

Cons

They never know when a student is coming or going. The students get different tutors every time with no consistency. Tutor's notes are not helpful. They change their mind constantly about what each person is to do.

Advice to Management

Get better organized!

C2 Education2019-06-04

"Cheap Company That Promises Parents One things, But Doesn't Pay Employees To Actualyl Do It"

Former Employee - Tutor in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at C2 Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

There was nothing good about this company.

Cons

This is a review for Rockville, MD. It is a scam. They have high standards for tutors, which I have no problem with. However, they only pay us for 5 minutes of prep time per student. Because of the lack of prep time, me and none of the tutors actually taught the way C2 Education wanted us to teach. I wanted too, but I couldn't. Owner made me teach subjects I literally couldn't teach. Students gets... charged $200 for a 2 hour session. Sessions were normally with 3 students. Their claim that they can't pay tutors too much even though they make $600 revenue on a session is laughable. Owner didn't know what the minimum wage was. Corporate offices didn't know either even though the minimum wage in Montgomery County, MD was known 3 years before it took effect. Therefore, their claim of we didn't know was probably (a bad word I can't say on Glassdoor). The owner was always in conferences. If I had to talk to her, she would always say to talk to her later. I even had to tell the students at times that it was the owner's fault the student's situation couldn't be sorted out. Some of the issues I had were really urgent, but the owner didn't care. I didn't want to get in trouble for urgent issues students had. I'd rather have the owner get in trouble. That's how much respect I had for her. The owner also threatened me when I mentioned the minimum wage to her. Lastly, when I went in for an interview, they didn't even know I was coming. They had to call somebody to come in to interview me.

Advice to Management

Read the Cons section. FYI. I wish I could give you 0 in every category instead of 1.

C2 Education2019-07-02

"Highly Stressful Work Environment"

Former Employee - Program Lead

I worked at C2 Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Most tutors are very friendl - Depending on the center, Center Director can be very helpful when assisting customers

Cons

-Enormous pressure to fulfill the months quota for new enrollments. Leads to stressful situations at the end of the month where you're almost shaking down students for money. -Some parents are deeply unpleasant to talk with and will blame you for any problems they have because you are the first face they see. -Work piles on and on and you must decide what tasks are worth completing. Often you will be given several... things to do at once and expected to complete them all simultaneously. -Upper management does not want to hear any excuses, very profit driven -Problems at the center immediately become your fault; even if it was the result of a completely different employee -Hours must be after school so don't plan on having your nights or weekend free

Advice to Management

Please remember the Program Leads are only human. The work piles up especially when there are only 1 or 2 people working and it is very disheartening to come in and be blamed for problems that are beyond your control.

C2 Education2019-05-17

"Sales Position Rather than Education"

Former Employee - Center Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at C2 Education full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Meeting students and helping them advance in their education -Working with talent teachers/tutors -Textbook/workbooks/tests created are useful for tutoring -New centers get more bonuses in their first year of opening

Cons

-Everything is managed and basically created by the Center Director -Train on how to sell hour packages rather than other ways to help clients (parents, kids) for their future -Only 5 days PTO, work late 1PM-9PM or sometimes 10PM

Advice to Management

Focus more on other ways to help families with their education needs instead of just selling tutoring hours. For example, more college essay prep and more scholarship opportunities/methods.

C2 Education2019-02-25

"C2 Education Hourly Rate Part Time Teacher"

I have been working at C2 Education part-time

Pros

Great option for tutors who don't want to or don't have the time to build their own client base. You don't have to travel from one house to another, schedule your own students, worry about how you're getting paid, or advertise to get new students. The admin staff also keeps the parents out of the teaching area; any compliments, complaints, or requests are relayed through the center director or program leads to the... teacher.

Cons

There is no way to guarantee consistent hours unless you're very good and/or teach multiple difficult or specific subjects, particularly AP bio, chem, physics, calculus, and stats. Low base pay and maximum hourly pay compared to private tutoring ($16-28/hour).

C2 Education2018-11-13