C3 IoT Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
C3 IoT CEO Thomas M. Siebel
Thomas M. Siebel

Pros
  • All around a really nice working environment (in 11 reviews)

• The direction you get from Tom Siebel is absolutely clear - the processes are very light and it is fast paced (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no work from home policy (in 13 reviews)

• There's definitely a lack of work/life balance if you're motivated; especially with no work from home policy (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great company with promising future"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 IoT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

iot is very interesting, challenging and promising
    strong management
    fast pace
    friendly colleague
    good pay and benefit
    free and delicious lunch

Cons

The iot platform is fairly complex. So the learning curve is steep.

2. "Best team I've ever worked with"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 IoT full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Producing software to help people with concrete problems they want solved and allowing the world to be more sustainable as a result. Working with focused, highly-skilled, devoted and enthusiastic people to implement real, practical, practicable solutions to large-scale problems (many of which have never been solved anywhere). A full range of experience levels among engineers from new college grads to amazingly talented engineers who've been building software for two decades or more.

Cons

So many vital projects happening at the same time that it's not possible to track all of them, and sometimes a week's schedule gets totally thrown out because something has unexpectedly become too important to put off for a week. Occasional long hours and weekends to make goals.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Add a weekly-updated visualization of the on-going projects and the upcoming deliverables.

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at C3 IoT full-time

Pros

Great place to work with great people. People are very helpful and no one is out to get you. You get what you put in essentially. Culture also requires you to be in the office, but that is more of a pro then a con due to the nature of the work. It's easier to work with people face to face then it is over the phone.

Cons

Steep learning curve.
    Traffic unless you take CalTrain or live close to work

5. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at C3 IoT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team dynamics with lots of smart people
    Nice working environment
    Good management
    Company products are revolutionary
    Open culture
    Good Benefits (free meals and gym membership)

Cons

Company priorities are not clear and constantly shifted

Advice to Management

Clear company priorities delivered to all team members

6. "Great Peope to work with"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 IoT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely smart and fun people to work with. Start up that has captured a stronghold in a nascent market and can continue to be the leaders in that area. Even though it is a start up, no issues with burn rate.

Cons

Very high pressure to perform and work can be really demanding sometimes.

"Great company, great people, great culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at C3 IoT (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Extremely smart, helpful, proactive, and dedicated group of people solving challenging problems in the IoT industry.
    - Startup culture, you can take on as many responsibilities as you want, and work on projects that have high value impact.
    - There is no set path for choosing a direction of your career, as long as you are interested and do your job well. Folks are really great about helping you find your next move.
    - Great colleagues, many of whom have become my close friends

Cons

- Work can be very demanding at times.
    - We are constantly balancing ourselves with "getting things done" and "doing things the right way".

Advice to Management

- Keep hiring great people
    - Keep changing the IoT industry

8. "Super talented engineers, great offices"

I have been working at C3 IoT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hiring criteria is very stringent, so we get excellent engineering talent. There are lots of interesting products to work on. There is a strong team cohesiveness; we are encouraged to take responsibility for our actions, but no one gets "thrown under the bus" for making a mistake. We get catered lunch every day and we all eat together in the kitchen area, which helps build community at the company. The offices are modern, have great views and ample natural light.

Cons

Sometimes the work/life balance is not so great; there is an expectation to work pretty long hours, and leaving before 6 PM is frowned upon, no matter what time you show up in the morning. However, that varies somewhat from team to team, and it's only very occasionally we are expected to work outside normal hours.

Advice to Management

Come up with a work from home policy.

9. "Great people, rising company"

I have been working at C3 IoT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- An incredible mix of employees. Everyone is really smart and dedicated, and there's a wide range of backgrounds (Chemistry PhDs, MBAs, humanities majors, etc) so the conversations at (free and catered) lunch everyday are awesome.
    - The office culture is lots of fun (Tahoe trip, frequent happy hours), but it doesn't feel like a stereotypical mid-20s engineer start-up. There are lots of very experienced engineers up and down the stack (as well as in the business/product management positions), so it's a great place for younger people to get started in their careers, especially while the company is still relatively small.
    - Free lunch, free gym, nice office space.
    - You get the opportunity to make a real impact on important projects for the company almost immediately.
    - Company seems to be right on the cusp of some really rapid growth after the shift to IoT from just energy earlier this year.

Cons

- Priorities can shift a little too quickly, between managing some of those customers, enhancing our base products, and pursuing trials/PoCs. Sometimes it feels like we're stretched a little thin and the base product is left waiting more than it should.
    - No work from home (though the office hours are pretty flexible), and the office location isn't all that convenient.

Advice to Management

1. Put the emphasis on the product/platform first, especially as we shift to an IoT SaaS solution.
    2. Keep hiring smart dedicated employees. Allowing a little more flexibility in terms of working from home might go a long way towards helping us attract more great people.

"Notice how majority of reviews are not from engineers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at C3 IoT full-time

Pros

Dedicated workforce
    Good catered lunch
    Over market pay

Cons

Sales driven org, not engineering driven

Structure in the company seems artificial. There are around 100 employees yet you have a myriad of directors. The company promotes people by inflating titles. You are promoted by how much of a 'yes' man you are, not the impact of your work.

CEO doesn't encourage free thinking. People are afraid to disagree with him. Culture is motivated by fear and pleasing the CEO regardless of what's right for the organization.

Burns you out with late nights, weekends, and putting out fires.

Advice to Management

Trust your people and let the positive ideas flow to better the organization as a whole.

11. "Destined to succeed."

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at C3 IoT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The thing that stood out most for me at C3 was the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. These are highly motivated people at the top of their game and working with them was a pleasure. The problems they are trying to solve haven't really been attempted before which makes them all the more fun and challenging to work on.

For me, having a strong leader is very important to maintaining confidence in the company as a whole and I would say C3 delivers on that front. I always looked forward to Tom Siebel's company updates where he'd gather all the staff and present his thoughts on where the company was now, where it was going and how to get there. They were a valuable insight into the 'big picture' and the Q&A sessions that would often follow were also very helpful. They helped me understand where my work fit into the broader scope, which in turn made it more meaningful and ultimately satisfying.

It seemed no expense was spared on the environment, with large open spaces and tasteful decor making it a pleasure to spend time working in. A free breakfast and lunch was provided and there was a full sized pool table and table tennis to help break up the day. Being able to take a stroll by the water front helped to clear the head too. There was also a complimentary gym with a pool and even rock climbing about 2 mins walk from the office, which I enjoyed taking advantage of.

Cons

As with most small companies, there is no well defined career ladder to climb and it's often unclear exactly what it takes to get a promotion. But I'm sure that as the company grows that will be addressed.