CA Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

CA Technologies CEO Michael P. Gregoire
Michael P. Gregoire

1,120 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Good Culture, Good Leadership"

I have been working at CA Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong effort to solidify common values and culture focused on major principles. Improvements to office environments and employee events to balance work and fun.

Cons

Need more products to sell into new and smaller customer accounts.

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Plano, TX

Pros

Very understanding leadership, pleasant work environment.

Cons

The sins in CA's past.

Advice to Management

CA is not alone in this but it would be great if the less emphasis were placed on the price of a share of stock and more emphasis were placed on dividends.

3. "If CA had marketing budgets of IBM, Microsoft, and Oracle there would be no other Software Vendors in this space."

Current Employee - Account Director in Islandia, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in Islandia, NY

Pros

CA has been a tremendous enabler of success for me and my clients. There is no other software company with the right combination of best of breed solutions that can address the complexities and challenges of today's CIO. CA is best of breed in Network, Voice, Applications, and Systems Mgt. We are best of breed in Project/Portfolio, Asset, and Service Governance. We are best of breed in Identity and Access Mgt. We are best of breed in Service and Asset Lifecycle Mgt. Nobody can boast that breadth and depth.

Cons

The legacy, history and perception of the old Computer Associates. We are still the Rodney Dangerfeild of Software - we get no respect. You have to earn it.

Advice to Management

Keep the innovation engine stoked. We're finally getting back into developing new technologies that are great: Data Center Automation, Catalyst, Software Compliance Manager, Governance Risk Compliance. Keep R&D going into making it easier to integrate our technology. Catalyst could be the game changer. So watch out.

5. "The "new" CA is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Support Availability Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Support Availability Manager in New York, NY

Pros

CA is a well managed company with an open and transparent culture. Since our new management team took over 4 years ago things have improved dramatically. There is now a clear career path for all positions and an excellent Learning System in place. Salaries are competitive with others in the industry and promotions are based on merit. The workplace atmosphere is positive and forward looking. Our senior management tandem of John Swainson (CEO) and Mike Christianson (COO) have done a great job turning this company around and changing the whole culture.

Cons

Nothing that immediately comes to mind

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"CA, a great opportunity for team success."

Current Employee - Director in Islandia, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Islandia, NY

Pros

There is a great spirit of cooperation and support amongst the entire organization. We work together to overcome roadblocks and there is a bottom-up spirit of innovation. I've seen departments pull together into virtual teams to solve a specific problem, and those connections that are built make the company as a whole more cooperative and lead to fewer roadblocks in the future. I really feel that the most effective people at CA are those who have worked in multiple capacities and understand the way the team works together and how to cross boundaries to get the job done, and done well.

Cons

There are concerns sometimes about marketing, repeated reductions in staff and the overall vision of the organization can sometimes appear reactive rather than proactive. I'd like to see the marketing organization outsourced, to get a different perspective into that area, a fresh approach. I think CA's visibility in the marketplace is hurt by only marketing in trade periodicals and at the golf event. I also think that the marketing that we do produce is dull and lifeless. CA does some truly great things in the area of integrations, innovations, and speed and competency of implementations. We need to get that message out in a more proactive way.

Advice to Management

CA needs to work harder at being a leader in the marketplace, rather than just trying to keep up. We need to be forward-thinking enough to give our development organization enough time to produce the products that will get us to that point.

7. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

Pros

excellent energy, fantastic people, very smart, and driven. great benefits and good working environment.

Cons

Very very sales driven. You are what you eat. Very challenging. lots of changes to continue to improve services.

Advice to Management

it's a big company with lots of changes. Be a bit more consistent.

"Very positive employer looking to develop talented and motivated employees"

Former Employee - Vice President in Islandia, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in Islandia, NY

Pros

Great work experience and opportunity for career development. Educational opportunity to expand knowledge base and prepare for challenges that lie ahead.

Cons

Large M&A activity in and out of the company can lead to shortened career for those that are interested in long term relationship with this employer.

Advice to Management

Need to be more agile while maintaining the process and procedures necessary to run the business in a effective manner.

9. "A brilliant company that values its employees"

Current Employee - Senior Services Consultant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Services Consultant in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Good technical opportunities.
    Great team members.
    Leadership that values people and allows them to succeed.

Cons

Reactive rather than proactive, at times. This is the nature of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing your most worthwhile commodities. YOUR PEOPLE. You are doing a great job promoting a healthy atmosphere.

10. "Great place to work..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Islandia, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Islandia, NY

Pros

Work environment - facilities and people are first class

Cons

Change Always - be prepared for a fast moving always changing work environment

11. "Quality, team oriented, friendly and global diversity company work place"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at CA Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees or co-workers
    Great working environment
    Flex time

Cons

Management Stability and its effect on the company and its employees.

Advice to Management

Management Stability and its effect on the company and its employees.

Showing 1,120 of 2,107 reviews