CAE Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CAE President, CEO, and Director Marc Parent
Marc Parent

Pros
  • Work Life balance and interesting industry (in 19 reviews)

• Mentoring, some training, perks, paid overtime, great coworkers (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will only listen to yes men : Leads to (in 23 reviews)

• horrible management no training no advancements unless your a fave (in 13 reviews)

1. "Pilot Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor Pilot in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Instructor Pilot in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The paycheck keeps coming in.

Cons

Basically 24 hour on call 5 days a week. The schedule changes several times each week making it impossible to schedule any activities during the work week. The hours are long, sometimes up to 14 hour days. The work weeks an average of 50 hours plus with plenty of stress, mis- communications and unhappy coworkers and clients.

Advice to Management

Communicate and start to treat the employees better.

"Old school/ no process/ couldn't care less"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Very interesting business. Learn about the aviation business and flight simulators. Dealing with pilots and their companies is a great experience.

Cons

Dallas Location: Doing things like in the 80s, no process, no direction, Male chauvinists coworkers, prejudice against foreigners. Bad internal competition, gossip and all the bad things you see in a company stuck in time with idiots running all the way from managers to the CEO. NOT customer centered. The whole HR quit recently.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO or bring a new force that will actually care about clients and employees and then you might beat the competition.

3. "Eh, it's a job..."

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Kirtland AFB, NM
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Kirtland AFB, NM

I worked at CAE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- We were given the whole year's vacation at the beginning of the year rather than waiting for it to accrue
    - Nice referral bonus if you get someone to come and stay a little while
    - Get to use up to 12 floating holidays and a few freebies

Cons

Boy are there a lot of these:
    - No room to move up, at all
    - Boss has told us we do not get promotions period
    - Pays much less than the average for the field ex: I work with several people that make more than me and don't have a degree, I have an engineering degree
    - Will not negotiate offered pay at hiring, it's take it or leave it
    - More or less ignored by HQ because of the isolation at NM site
    - No training offered

Advice to Management

I'd start by trying to pay competitively for the position given the field and training employees. My Little Rock manager mailed it in the duration of my employment. Also a word of advice, if you want employees to stick around, don't tell them that there are no raises or promotions ever. I worked as one of 5 software engineers, at a given time 4 of us were looking for other work.

"Micromanage Wrong Things"

Current Employee - TCE Instructor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - TCE Instructor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Certain freedoms to accomodate client needs. Overtime and day off pay. Worst performers can't get fired!

Cons

Complete disrespect for instructors and examiners.

Lower than ABAA pilot pay per type fir instructors.

No additional qualification pay, TCE, SIM, CHeck airman.

Simulators break, and maintenace is slow to fix complex issues

CAE courseware and standardization is amaturish, out dated incomplete and unecessarily complex.

Very little practical training of instructors, yet a lot of criticism of instructors for not complying with untrained unexplained and sometimes hidden policies.

No chance for advancement unless you are part of the " bubba- club" that runs the place.

Managers are incompetent, mostly former pilots with littled or no background or training in management. Adversarial and threatening management style. Managers incapable of mentoring and developing employees.

The key upper management come from the outside without a clue, with the exception of one or two lifers that started as janitors and now run the place.

Advice to Management

You will lose all of your best people through your own inept handling of the professionals you manage. Stop micro managing the icecream socials, plumbing, and client parking,and focus on instructor and client retention and development.

"Unbelievable Incompetence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Low stress because no one is held accountable.

Cons

80% of the company seemingly cannot even do their job. The bar is so low and rather than letting them go they just move people around from department to department; meanwhile, there are a handful of high performers that make the company tick. Nepotism is rampant. Little to no accountability, from the tactical level to the directors. Culture is repressive and built on a foundation of fear. Way behind the curve in terms of the technological tools they leverage because they just cut things and never invest in anything. People in positions of power abuse it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the toxic people and invest in your people and the business. Pick a direction and execute a critical few initiatives well, rather than 20-30 poorly.

"Don't Bother"

Current Employee - Flight Instructor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Flight Instructor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Clients are great from around the world

Cons

Ever thing else. Management are imbeciles

Advice to Management

Get some real managers

"Sad at the direction of this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I worked at CAE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with across the country and world are still some of my closest friends. Working with healthcare providers to impact patient safety was such a worthwhile occupation.

Cons

Once METI was purchased by CAE, the company went from a learning company to a simulator company. The management has no clue that the education part of the company impacted the sales at a very high level. In addition, the sales force was extremely low in numbers compared to its rival companies all along. Now, with eliminating sales and education employees at regular intervals it certainly will get worse. HR did not maintain my confidentiality while an employee which led to some difficulties in my last days. I'm glad I am gone; I'm sad for my friends who won't find another job before they get laid off in the next round.

Advice to Management

You need to wake up and figure out what you are doing. What is your mission? What is your vision for the healthcare arm of your company? Be open and honest with your employees instead of treating them so poorly. The last memo I got (through a very active grapevine) extended two whole sentences to someone who had given their all to make your company successful. Even if you eliminate their position, they deserve more from you than that.

"Very disappointing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I worked at CAE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generally, great people. I was part, for many years, of the original company, great leadership, great technology, great market, a tremendous potential.
    CAE acquired the company in 2011 and since then, everything has gone downhill.

Cons

Upper Management has no clue, no direction, treat all employees without respect. Layoff are very common and always as a result of bad management - the interesting fact; management stays and employees are layoff. In summary, Management doesn't care.
    CAE stock performance is an embarrassment and a direct reflection of CAE leadership.
    HR runs the whole company - HR is the most powerful organization inside CAE. Employees cannot trust HR - it is like Initech (Office Space)

Advice to Management

Advice: Upper Management needs replacing.

"Not focused on the employees only on the bottom dollar"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting industry and great employees

Cons

Senior Management from Global Operations and HR leaders are very out of touch with the team.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees are telling you.

"Management is terrible."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great industry. I work in the human patient simulation division, and the products we produce are great. Our company was bought by CAE two years ago and our focus has changed, which makes the mission a little less clear, but the company started with the idea of saving lives. How can you beat that?

Cons

Management is unreal. There are quarterly layoffs, and upper management always has a new plan. The President announced in January at a Sales meeting, "there will be no layoffs, but I may fire someone before the end of the week." This was his idea of humor. Vacation and expense policies have changed retroactively. Salaries are low, but hours are long.