CAE Reviews | Glassdoor

CAE Reviews

Updated June 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work Life balance and interesting industry (in 19 reviews)

• Mentoring, some training, perks, paid overtime, great coworkers (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will only listen to yes men : Leads to (in 23 reviews)

• horrible management no training no advancements unless your a fave (in 13 reviews)

"Good"

Current Employee - Computer Programmer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent coworkers. Immediat supervisor is great. The tech is cool lots of opportunitty too travel

Cons

Poor pay. Long overtime work over holliday. Outdated computets take forever yo make decisions

Advice to Management

Listen more

2. "Great place for an entry to advanced level job for a single person"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the younger engineers are easy to get along with, like in every office there are some to watch out for. The benefits package is quite good, so is the ability to get stock options upon employment. Pay wise, most times its required to work > 40 per week (at times > 50), its compensated at your salary, so that is a major plus for the pocket, especially if your're single. The company is two levels, manufacturing and hardware downstairs and programming upstairs. There is a cafeteria on site, so its not necessary to drive off for lunch. Parking is adequate as well.

Cons

Some cons include long hours and lack of communication between other programmers in the same group and even group management. Inter group communication is low, unless you find a friend in another group. Learning out side your group is also difficult. Long hours are required sometimes. Also there are no windows, so its a pretty grey and dismal building on the inside.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with subordinates and open the communication to everyone in the group. After being hired, spend time with the new hire and the current group (or key people in the group) to discuss how things run and operate. Keep instilling the open communication with HR and the benefits package.

"CAE USA - Good benefits; old school thinking"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is ok - they pay overtime. Good employee benefits. Lots of smart people which is nice to be around. Lots of good contacts with military.

Cons

Some good simulation software but on the other side, most in Tampa are on Office 2007 (!). Weird mix of outdated software and new technology. Very little work from home -- they still want to see you in office.

Lots of good engineers but not so much good mid level management- a lot of engineers turned to management who are not good at managing people. I think they are trying to change that; just started a "tech only" kind of path.

Heavy focus on military, which makes sense considering the customer base -- but lots of ex-mil management also try to enforce chain of command thinking, which gets in the way. New head honcho seems to be doing pretty well; better than previous one.

Advice to Management

don't promote according to years of service or based on being ex-military. figure out what to do with healthcare product line. have better marketing and product development -- out from under thumb of Canada.

"Don't Bother"

Current Employee - Flight Instructor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Flight Instructor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Clients are great from around the world

Cons

Ever thing else. Management are imbeciles

Advice to Management

Get some real managers

"Healthcare- Great product, Horrible management"

Former Employee - Management in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Management in Sarasota, FL

I worked at CAE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic healthcare simulation product! Potential to save lives, and educate others to do the same.

Cons

Guaranteed 80-100 work weeks, consistently berated by management, miserable outlook for future, no longevity, multiple layoffs, wrongful termination. All the best employees are quitting due to upper management.

Advice to Management

If your plan is to shut down SRQ production and move to Montreal- tell the people. Don't fire strongest people, or force them to quit because you can't be honest. Upper management sets a poor precedence for leadership, and HR rules the company. No employee can trust anything but another employee. Look what you are doing to Healthcare!

"Sad at the direction of this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I worked at CAE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with across the country and world are still some of my closest friends. Working with healthcare providers to impact patient safety was such a worthwhile occupation.

Cons

Once METI was purchased by CAE, the company went from a learning company to a simulator company. The management has no clue that the education part of the company impacted the sales at a very high level. In addition, the sales force was extremely low in numbers compared to its rival companies all along. Now, with eliminating sales and education employees at regular intervals it certainly will get worse. HR did not maintain my confidentiality while an employee which led to some difficulties in my last days. I'm glad I am gone; I'm sad for my friends who won't find another job before they get laid off in the next round.

Advice to Management

You need to wake up and figure out what you are doing. What is your mission? What is your vision for the healthcare arm of your company? Be open and honest with your employees instead of treating them so poorly. The last memo I got (through a very active grapevine) extended two whole sentences to someone who had given their all to make your company successful. Even if you eliminate their position, they deserve more from you than that.

"Very disappointing."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I worked at CAE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generally, great people. I was part, for many years, of the original company, great leadership, great technology, great market, a tremendous potential.
    CAE acquired the company in 2011 and since then, everything has gone downhill.

Cons

Upper Management has no clue, no direction, treat all employees without respect. Layoff are very common and always as a result of bad management - the interesting fact; management stays and employees are layoff. In summary, Management doesn't care.
    CAE stock performance is an embarrassment and a direct reflection of CAE leadership.
    HR runs the whole company - HR is the most powerful organization inside CAE. Employees cannot trust HR - it is like Initech (Office Space)

Advice to Management

Advice: Upper Management needs replacing.

"Not focused on the employees only on the bottom dollar"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting industry and great employees

Cons

Senior Management from Global Operations and HR leaders are very out of touch with the team.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your employees are telling you.

"Management is terrible."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great industry. I work in the human patient simulation division, and the products we produce are great. Our company was bought by CAE two years ago and our focus has changed, which makes the mission a little less clear, but the company started with the idea of saving lives. How can you beat that?

Cons

Management is unreal. There are quarterly layoffs, and upper management always has a new plan. The President announced in January at a Sales meeting, "there will be no layoffs, but I may fire someone before the end of the week." This was his idea of humor. Vacation and expense policies have changed retroactively. Salaries are low, but hours are long.

"Short and treacherous"

Former Employee - Commodities Trader in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Commodities Trader in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at CAE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thought of company living up to compensation agreement

Cons

Went back on everything promised in contract and forced long, dreadful work hours

Advice to Management

People should really be looked at as assets not a means to your end