CAE Reviews | Glassdoor

CAE Reviews

Updated November 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work Life balance and interesting industry (in 19 reviews)

• Mentoring, some training, perks, paid overtime, great coworkers (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management will only listen to yes men : Leads to (in 24 reviews)

• horrible management no training no advancements unless your a fave (in 13 reviews)

1. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are good people trying to do good work at CAE. Clients seem to appreciate the effort by the Instructors.

Cons

Overworked. Sales driven company. Instructors are left in front of customer trying to explain why the schedule won't work (we like to have weekends...AKA days off).

Advice to Management

Place more value on the Training Managers and the Schedulers. If these two groups are happy and do their job really well then the Instructors will be (mostly) happy.

2. "Same poor management cycle"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sarasota, FL

I worked at CAE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products,learned a lot about human body,worked with some fine hard working individuals.

Cons

Boss was major hick whose verbal abusiveness went unchecked by upper management for quite sometime until it was time for a new boss.

Advice to Management

I don't think it makes any difference

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Interesting industry, challenging work, opportunities to make improvements to processes

Cons

Lack of orientation & training in department, workload expectations not well-managed when I was there. High turnover in position I held as a contractor

Advice to Management

Address issues with managers who are not good managers.

4. "Eh, it's a job..."

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Kirtland AFB, NM
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Kirtland AFB, NM

I worked at CAE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- We were given the whole year's vacation at the beginning of the year rather than waiting for it to accrue
    - Nice referral bonus if you get someone to come and stay a little while
    - Get to use up to 12 floating holidays and a few freebies

Cons

Boy are there a lot of these:
    - No room to move up, at all
    - Boss has told us we do not get promotions period
    - Pays much less than the average for the field ex: I work with several people that make more than me and don't have a degree, I have an engineering degree
    - Will not negotiate offered pay at hiring, it's take it or leave it
    - More or less ignored by HQ because of the isolation at NM site
    - No training offered

Advice to Management

I'd start by trying to pay competitively for the position given the field and training employees. My Little Rock manager mailed it in the duration of my employment. Also a word of advice, if you want employees to stick around, don't tell them that there are no raises or promotions ever. I worked as one of 5 software engineers, at a given time 4 of us were looking for other work.

"Micromanage Wrong Things"

Current Employee - TCE Instructor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - TCE Instructor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Certain freedoms to accomodate client needs. Overtime and day off pay. Worst performers can't get fired!

Cons

Complete disrespect for instructors and examiners.

Lower than ABAA pilot pay per type fir instructors.

No additional qualification pay, TCE, SIM, CHeck airman.

Simulators break, and maintenace is slow to fix complex issues

CAE courseware and standardization is amaturish, out dated incomplete and unecessarily complex.

Very little practical training of instructors, yet a lot of criticism of instructors for not complying with untrained unexplained and sometimes hidden policies.

No chance for advancement unless you are part of the " bubba- club" that runs the place.

Managers are incompetent, mostly former pilots with littled or no background or training in management. Adversarial and threatening management style. Managers incapable of mentoring and developing employees.

The key upper management come from the outside without a clue, with the exception of one or two lifers that started as janitors and now run the place.

Advice to Management

You will lose all of your best people through your own inept handling of the professionals you manage. Stop micro managing the icecream socials, plumbing, and client parking,and focus on instructor and client retention and development.

6. "Maintenance Instructor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CAE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company with an abundance of aviation professionals!

Cons

Nothing to add to Cons

"Some good, Some bad"

I have been working at CAE full-time

Pros

The company as a whole is a good company to work for. They do reward you for a Job well done. I like to work, it is a fast paced environment, but they treat you fairly well.

Cons

some managers are put into positions simply because of the education. They dont have any real exp in managing people. Some people are hard to work with. The turnover is high, mainly because out of all of the employers in the defense industry, they are lagging behind in the Salary Category.

Advice to Management

Hold on to the good ones, and get rid of the ones who are not doing their jobs. They have a habit of repeating the same mistakes over and over again. That is why the High Turnover rate exist. A lot of managers are in the job they are for the wrong reason.

"Software Engineer"

Pros

The attitude is extremely relaxed. Very flexible hours and working requirements. Easy to excel if you are a decent employee. Good people.

Cons

No training. No R&D budget. Budgets get cut all the time. Unrealistic scheduled. Some incompetence will cause everyone to miss schedule it go over budget. Constantly get forced into adhering to policies that work in parent company, but make no sense in Tampa office. If you do one thing well, you will likely be assigned to all projects that need help in that area.

"Best people, worst benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at CAE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's actually an environment that feels like family! Best people I have ever worked with. Everyone pitches in to get the job done! Very fun to be around pilots, planes and the culture of aviation.

Cons

Due to the nature of retired pilots now working at an older age the health insurance is outrageously expensive! Cannot work here if you want to start a family, have a family with children at home. Or, I suppose you must make good money as a manager to do so.

Advice to Management

Adjust the pay to junior employees to make working and living sustainable. Benefits cost are the main reason I left.

"Allowed me to remain in the aviation industry, provide for my family, and be home every night."

Current Employee - Flight Instructor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Flight Instructor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CAE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salaries and benefits, great management, paid hard days off and doubles.

Cons

Wish they had locations in other cities. Need to hire more staff. Not enough full timers to cover all shifts.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing: taking care of your staff.