CAKE Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Mani Kulasooriya

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company to start, but not sure if its the time to join with all of the transition going on (in 2 reviews)

• The sales team has been absolutely blowing the doors off sales targets -and are doing way more with less using an innovative new inside sales model (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • I think with all start-ups communication is the biggest con (in 2 reviews)

• The new Sales Management has no idea what they are doing and nobody on the sales team respects him (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Company, Culture & CEO"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at CAKE Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great startup culture, with corporate backing (in Sysco Food Services). This produces the casual environment, filled with extremely intelligent, hard-working individuals with the greater sense of security from corporate backing.
    -Coolest CEO of all time!
    -Great work/life balance.
    -Convenient Peninsula location.
    -Great perks -- fully stocked kitchen and company sponsored lunch.

Cons

I think with all start-ups communication is the biggest con. Although, they are doing great - it seems that cross-departmental communication can continue to improve. And cross-office communication (in the sense that some of the remote offices don't feel the same inclusion as HQ).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! And keep advocating for maintaining this start-up environment!

"Sales Development"

Pros

Competitive Pay for the area
    Great benefits

Cons

- Dead end job. During my time I watched 7 people move from SDR to Account Executive and watched 6/7 get fired only 1-3 months later. I also saw many AE's hired directly and watched all of them get fired
    -Micromanaging to the extreme
    -You are nothing but a number to management. They don't care about your career growth at all
    -Toxic environment. Management puts so much pressure to produce everyone steals leads and cheats in order to survive
    -Churn and burn mentality
    -Discouraged from taking time off because you are still expected to hit 100% of quota

Advice to Management

Be honest to new hires. The job can pay well but don't lie pitching a "great culture" and "great career growth." You've wasted a lot of people's time and damaged many people's careers.

"Account Executive"

I worked at CAKE Corporation full-time

Pros

-Casual/fun sales team (your going to grind), but a good group of people
    -Owned by Sysco (without them, not sure if CAKE would be a thing)
    -Nice office with stocked kitchen of snacks
    -Work from Home freedom, but is horrible for the company in the long run, just makes it so everyone is constantly on a different page
    -Uses A LOT of different software programs that are very helpful (a lot are excess though)
    -Good commission
    -Great company to start, but not sure if its the time to join with all of the transition going on
    -Sometimes people love CAKE's products...sometimes!

Cons

-CAKE's products seem to be on the back burner
    -No longer does EatClub and the food catering once a week at 4 pm was a waste
    -Management just cares that you put big numbers on the board, don't really care who you are
    -Micro-Manage everything in the sales org
    -Each department is on a completely different page, and don't work together
    -High turn and burn of employees, none quit, most are fired in the sales org
    -Company is moving towards Texas
    -Base should be higher, its 15k below the norm in Redwood City, CA for AE
    -You can get promoted...but you will not get a raise
    -Every week there will be changes with processes and so on, so be prepared, its nice at first, then it slowly goes down hill
    -The BIGGEST con, is the product itself. Has endless issues, and half the time you receive calls from unhappy customers who just bought because of all their issues
    -Basically no marketing budget, companies like Revel have a huge influx of inbound leads, CAKE only gets inbound leads from Sysco, hardly any from the website

Advice to Management

-Please delete the term, "Restaurant Specialist"
    -Firing and Hiring is much more expensive in the long run then riding the roller coaster
    -Hire 20+ Engineers in Silicon Valley that can get things done and improve the product. The product isn't improving and that is the biggest issue with the company. Realistically the product is a "perfect" fit for 5% or less of customers that they actually sell to
    -Customer Success needs to start doing periodic calls to customers, they need to ask how the product is working, up-sell, cross-sell, etc. (the team is way too small)
    -Start marketing...a lot more, maybe double triple or quadruple that budget, hire a few more people as well in Marketing. You got to spend money to make money

4. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Was a pleasure working with the people.

Cons

Sales Management hired too quick

Advice to Management

Take it slow with the sales team

5. "Best place ever!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

I have been working for 8 places before I join and this is the place i'm celebrating my 6th year. Feel like home. I love it.

Cons

I do not have anything to say about it with compared to all my previous places I worked for.

Aug 9, 2016 – HR Director, People Operations

Wow! 6 years? That's awesome to hear. We do our best to create a positive experience for our folks here. It's great to know that it feels like home for you. ;)

6. "Sales Development Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Development in Cypress, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Development in Cypress, TX

I have been working at CAKE Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere! Amazing management, they give you clear goals and help when needed. Everyone is supportive of each other and help when needed

Cons

Haven't come across any cons yet. Really enjoying the environment. There are quite a few systems to learn at first.

Jul 10, 2016 – HR Director, People Operations

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on our company. Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

7. "Great place to work at!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at CAKE Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for Sales
    Super chill workplace
    Management team is great in the sales department

Cons

No cons at all. Well so far. But its been all pros so far

Aug 9, 2016 – HR Director, People Operations

Thanks for taking the time provide feedback for CAKE. We strive to provide a positive experience for folks here so glad to read this.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Great management
    Solid long term plan for the company
    Fun, motivated co-workers

Cons

Some people should be recognized more than they are for what they contribute..

Jul 10, 2016 – HR Director, People Operations

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback for our company. We agree. Employees should be recognized for their contributions and accomplishments. Currently we utilize a platform which... More

"Great Product, Great People"

Current Employee - Restaurant Specialist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Restaurant Specialist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at CAKE Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great community and culture here at CAKE. Lots of people that love what they do, helping restaurants.

Cons

101 traffic. Need I say more?

10. "Huge Potential"

I have been working at CAKE Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is awesome - great people, super collaborative, lots of open communication from all levels. Good ideas are heard and considered from everyone. People are free to explore and pursue things that are valuable. The relationships that Cake has bring access to many things that position the company well for long-term growth, and to create a truly unique set of services.

Cons

There is a slight downside to some of that freedom, however. There ends up being a lot of duplicative work and things done without much thought being put into them. Also, as a result, the company is trying to do everything at once rather than focusing all of its energy on doing a few things really well, at least to start.

Advice to Management

The team could use a stronger and more consistent strategy - one goal or set of goals that we can always look to in order to guide the work that we're doing. Also, with as many products and touchpoints as we are managing, vertical ownership is resulting in an inconsistent and fragmented experience. I'd like to see the company shift more toward horizontal ownership to bring more consistency.