CAKE Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Santi Pierini

1. "Software Engineer - Loving it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at CAKE (Less than a year)

Pros

- Nerf wars
    - Friendly, open environment
    - Nerf wars
    - Great work/life balance
    - Nerf wars
    - Encouragement from upper management to be the best version of yourself

Cons

- I have none : )

2. "You can have your CAKE and eat it too!"

Current Employee - Senior Client Success Manager in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Client Success Manager in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at CAKE (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The best of the best work for CAKE!
    - We have some of the most amazing, fun, super strategic and extremely business/tech savvy clients.
    - Work hard/play hard... who said you can't work AND learn at the same time!
    - Unlimited PTO
    - #1 Online Performance tracking solution provider!

Cons

- Can't really think of any :)

3. "Incredible opportunities for anyone interested in tech."

Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at CAKE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exciting projects, loads of opportunity/upward mobility, regular Nerf gun battles, benefits, relaxed work environment, experienced and approachable leadership, and a career-minded mentality. The leadership really cares about the work/life balance, and vacation time is not accrued, but given immediately.

Cons

Honestly, I have no complaints.

5. "The Best Work Family You Will Ever Find"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at CAKE (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am convinced that CAKE has the best work-family you will ever find. The people here are truly kind, welcoming, respectful and fun to be around. It's a collaborative environment and everyone is willing to help anyone at any given time, even the executive and management teams. After working at CAKE for over 3 years, I left to pursue another opportunity, it didn't take me long to realize what I was missing. I came back for the people mostly, they are smart, hard-working, innovative and you will learn more from this place that most others. CAKE is a great product and helps a lot of people run their business and will continue to do great things, but the people here will make it like no other job you've ever had before. You'll meet life long friends here, enjoy team outings, lunches and coffee breaks with great friends and mentors and much more that makes for a camaraderie that is undeniable.

Cons

There have been some definite growing pains, from management to product but I am confident we're back on a good trajectory. I wouldn't have come back if I didn't think that was true.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, keep listening, keep showing your employees they're appreciated.

"Good Company Good people"

I have been working at CAKE full-time

Pros

-CAKE has a robust and innovative product.
    -People are happy, helpful and smart.
    -Strong management that is constantly trying to improve.

Cons

-Product can have a large learning curve due to its complexity, making it difficult to grasp.

7. "Challenging yet rewarding professional growth"

I have been working at CAKE full-time

Pros

While being a new employee at a company can be intimidating, it is not at CAKE. Everyone is very welcoming and eager to help you learn. The overwhelming support makes for an exceptional learning environment in conjunction with their on-boarding. The vibrant atmosphere within the office also makes for a fun learning environment as welll.

Cons

Being that my time at CAKE has not been that long, I have not experienced any cons working here at CAKE.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to continue with whatever they're doing to promote such a great learning environment in the office.

8. "Great culture, cool technology!"

I have been working at CAKE full-time

Pros

Amazing work culture, open work spaces promote collaborative processes.

Cons

There's really not that much! The kitchen is a little light on snacks, but that's a minor complaint!

"Company with a lot of potential, and a lot of opportunity."

I have been working at CAKE full-time

Pros

The company has a truly innovative product with a huge potential to get ahead of it's competitors. Within the company, the culture, both socially and professionally is a huge plus. On the social side, there is an excellent work/ life balance. On the professional side, there are no strict chains of command. Every level of management has an open ear and and everyone in the company has the opportunity to share their input. If you have drive, you can grow quickly at this company in both experience and stature.

Cons

While no micro management seems great for most, there are times where it's needed. There are a large amount of employees who lack the direction and day to day management they need. If there was a bit more of a driving force behind the majority of employees, this company would be perfect.

Advice to Management

Take more note of the employees who aren't working up to par and the affect their actions, or non-actions, have on the work of other employees.

10. "Couldn't be happier"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at CAKE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company culture is amazing. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help. Besides having unlimited vacation there are some extra perks such as catered lunches and a game room with ping pong and foosball.

Cons

Having more company sponsored events would be a plus, but other than that not much to complain about.

11. "Varsity Players --- sometimes JV Execution"

Pros

There are many pros to working at CAKE, and I'm coming from the tech/product side:
    - very week brogrammer cult here
    - we have diverse dev/product teams: many cultures, many women
    - coworkers are generally happy, helpful, good-natured, and easy to work with
    - even though I am stuck working within a front-end framework (which limits some creativity), there is room to explore and try new things at the office
    - I have always gotten whatever software/hardware that I've asked for that I need to do my job
    - I've always gotten paid on time (this is huge, if you've ever worked for a company that doesn't)
    - "unlimited" vacation --- dependent on your manager

Cons

Downsides that I've experienced at CAKE include:
    - some small interpersonal issues, but those happen wherever we go, right?
    - feeling like I don't know the future of the company or what we're moving toward
    - having a reactive roadmap that shifts very quickly, I can look at the bulk of my work as never launching because of having to pivot to make good on our contracts
    - large amount of turnover in the past year, it's been a bit unsettling, but I think we're on the up-and-up
    - there is a strong culture of church-goers - many employees come from the same youth-group -- the bias is strong
    - teams tend to work siloed and there is not good transparency between teams
    - we used to do fun employee activities, and now there is a sense of being unsafe to share what we need/want
    - office space looks like a college computer lab
    - we haven't seen bonuses in our paychecks since Jan 2015

Advice to Management

- empower managers to actually do their jobs and manage
    - hire an office admin who's job is to take care of the physical office space
    - introduce rewards/punishments for doing good work -- I have no incentive to try or do well or achieve