CARFAX Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
CARFAX President Richard Raines
Richard Raines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They breathe work/life balance and ensure that all their employees have what they need to succeed (in 49 reviews)

• Work at your own pace, bonus program that drives employee performance, free Friday Lunch, happy hours, company events, pet friendly & more (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Flat organization - not much room for growth up the chain (in 6 reviews)

• I have no cons to add for Carfax (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Never want to work anywhere else!"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership! The whole company gets an opportunity to vote on what the coming years top priorities will be. The president of the company meets live with every group in the company and takes their input in a lively back and forth discussion. Talk about making every employee feel connected to the mission!!
    Great culture! The CARFAX office is always buzzing with energy because the people who work here love what they do and believe in our mission to help people.
    Friendly (including dog friendly)! People who work here are just nice. They stop and say hi,ask about your weekend, know if you had a big event, and genuinely care about each other. This is not common and is just something I really appreciate.

Cons

Sure there can be tough days, but that is just the nature of working hard and wanting to achieve. I know I never want to have a tough day anywhere but CARFAX!

Advice to Management

Stay connected and keep meeting new people joining the company. You are a part of the culture and every connection you make helps to keep the culture alive.

Feb 16, 2017 – Director, HR

Great advice to management. We are growing and we want to make sure that the culture of CARFAX stays true to who we are.

2. "Thus far a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On-boarding was great! Very informative and they kept us fed. The company history and the CARFAX Playbook are definitely drilled into you, but in a good way. Very relaxed environment. You can wear what you want everyday, jeans, flip flops, shorts, etc. as long as it is not vulgar. You can also bring your dog to work everyday. Free lunch every Friday. Overall a great experience thus far.

Cons

None to share at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

3. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Carfax is a great place to work. They breathe work/life balance and ensure that all their employees have what they need to succeed. Hands down the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Trying to find a "con" is hard. I honestly don't think I've worked there long enough to find one.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work.

"Software Developer"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Everything is good in carfax

Cons

There are hardly any cons

"Good Company... sometimes"

I worked at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Fun environment, Product, Team, Happy hours

Cons

Human Resources care only about their Cancerous Management and not their employees.
    Encourage to speak about issues but when you do you're out.

Advice to Management

Clean house at middle Management and HR. Listen to your employees...the ones that actually do the work.

Aug 14, 2017 – VP of People & Culture

Thanks for your feedback. It’s good that you enjoyed the happy hours and had fun when you worked here, but it sounds like your relationship with your manager could have been much better, and it’s... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I worked at CARFAX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Healthy, growing company with cutting edge products. Amazing workforce of talented, capable, and motivated people. Casual and fun work environment, beautiful and clean office and amenities. Competitive compensation and benefits package, great work/life balance and lots, lots of free food and beverage!

Cons

Nepotistic, overemployed, and incompetent managers abound. Would conservatively estimate that over 80% of managers, particularly senior managers, are a highly politicized group that makes decisions and addresses issues in the interest of self preservation, Not to the benefit of the greater good. The company culture, or 'playbook' as described on the company website is largely a farse and glorified lip service. For example, Carfax touts its utilization of 'wisdom of crowds'. However, attempting to voice concerns, issues, or questions to managers results in dismissive, disqualifying, and bullying responses, and ultimately met with termination. Colleagues were routinely insulted by their superiors in the open, and what was said in the open was often a direct contradiction of what was said behind closed doors. As Carfax has penetrated so much of the available market share in the automotive industry and saturated its work force of sales and customer service staff, goals set forth by the senior management team are not an accurate reflection of the current business landscape. Thus, over the past 12 months many of the top talent has left the company either by their own will or through systematic dismissal to make way for young, inexpensive hires who are less qualified, less professional and cut corners in order to satisfy their superiors unrealistic sales and effort metrics.

Advice to Management

Not sure there is any advice to be provided other than the painfully obvious and what was stated in the Cons section. It is painfully clear that no changes will be made in the foreseeable future as to the behavior of management across the company. They believe what they say is Factual even when there is a bevy of information that supports the contrary. And this behavior is not only enabled by senior management and HR staff, but is a common element throughout the entire company in lieu of such a vast absence of managers with Leadership qualities.

Aug 1, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We strive to provide an environment where employees feel they're valued and heard. Though we can't comment on individuals who have left us... More

7. "Former Data Center Employee"

I worked at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Superior Product/Brand, Company Pride, Fun Culture, Great People, Accessible and Quality Leadership Team, Work/Life Balance, Good Pay, and Unmatched Benefits.

Cons

Too much Free-Friday Lunch packs on the pounds! Watch the scale!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Aug 1, 2017 – Director, HR

Thank you for the review. We are fully aware and try to warn new employees about the "CARFAX 15". :) We like to make sure Team CARFAX is well fed and hydrated!

8. "good company"

Pros

good company to work for.

Cons

hard to move up from entry level positions

"My first decade"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

After ten years, it is still very exciting to be a part of a corporate culture that has created a momentum of success by cultivating the strengths and creativity of its employees.

Cons

It's a shame we can't share this with everyone, but we only need about 900 people to make the company work and hardly anyone ever quits.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you're doing.

10. "Excellent culture"

Current Employee - Systems Developer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not an HR review! I actually work here and the culture and benefits are top notch.

Cons

As with any corporation as it ages, some senior staff have lost touch with the employees.

Advice to Management

Cull the dead weight in management. Listen to your CEO!

Jun 22, 2017 – VP of People & Culture

Appreciate the feedback. We try our best to stay flat so that folks have more autonomy. Next month our annual survey process starts - please provide specific feedback on steps we can take to get... More