CARFAX Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
CARFAX President Richard Raines
Richard Raines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They breathe work/life balance and ensure that all their employees have what they need to succeed (in 49 reviews)

• Work at your own pace, bonus program that drives employee performance, free Friday Lunch, happy hours, company events, pet friendly & more (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Flat organization - not much room for growth up the chain (in 6 reviews)

• I have no cons to add for Carfax (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Never want to work anywhere else!"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leadership! The whole company gets an opportunity to vote on what the coming years top priorities will be. The president of the company meets live with every group in the company and takes their input in a lively back and forth discussion. Talk about making every employee feel connected to the mission!!
    Great culture! The CARFAX office is always buzzing with energy because the people who work here love what they do and believe in our mission to help people.
    Friendly (including dog friendly)! People who work here are just nice. They stop and say hi,ask about your weekend, know if you had a big event, and genuinely care about each other. This is not common and is just something I really appreciate.

Cons

Sure there can be tough days, but that is just the nature of working hard and wanting to achieve. I know I never want to have a tough day anywhere but CARFAX!

Advice to Management

Stay connected and keep meeting new people joining the company. You are a part of the culture and every connection you make helps to keep the culture alive.

CARFAX Response

Feb 16, 2017 – Director, HR

Great advice to management. We are growing and we want to make sure that the culture of CARFAX stays true to who we are.

2. "Carfax Centreville review"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Positive people and culture. Everyone will tell you how much they love working at Carfax. Free lunch Fridays, Bring your dog to the office, best benefits and so many celebrations!

Cons

None, great place to work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good vibes

"Carfax GREAT PLACE TO WORK #FAKENEWS!!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Great place to work especially if you work in Sales, all the reviews you read are true. Managers shopping on Amazon all day, preaching integrity and promoting those who lack it. Like attracts like. If you are looking to get ahead in your career, then an Inside Sales job is the just the ticket, especially if you are a snake. Management.will.love.you. Hey and if you are a decent hardworking individual who plays by the rules and does the right thing, help yourself to a slice of pizza, that will double as your commission check cause you won't be making any money. They love their trinkets here. Same idea how Columbus conquered the new world, give the native some shiny beads and little hand mirrors and you can take the East Coast. Only here it is pizza and a t-shirt for your soul! But other than that it's great, if you are a manager, you get spiffs on all the deals regardless of chargebacks so just put through anything at all. And the kings of chargebacks are also the kings of sales, management has a real nice territory for you.

Cons

What is not to like! Working at the BEST place in the WORLD!!! Especially if yo have the right last name. Come on HR, tell everyone how great it is, your department has almost as much turnover as Sales. And hey have another slice of pizza.

Advice to Management

Pound Sand

"Kept running in place daily"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Centreville, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Centreville, VA

I worked at CARFAX (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays, age diversity and ethnicity, flexible work hours

Cons

Expectations are set way too high, No overtime pay or compensation,

Advice to Management

My manager was probably one of the worst ones I’ve ever had the displeasure to work with. Being that he is a former military officer he really belongs in combat or on a boat instead of the business office. All he did DAILY was sit in his office and attend meetings - period. He has zero personality and doesn’t really care about his team members. He is only concerned about numbers and his white board in the corner of the building that NOONE can even see.

Every 6 months he would “mix up” our partners that we had to contact but they would never change. I’ve had the exact same partners for years and had low numbers and other team members had better partners with numbers they the roof every month. The closed cases system was terribly flawed and they knew it, yet they kept counting the closed cases we produced. I’ve even had software partners who have refused to do ANYTHING to close their cases. These cases are STILL open today!! No changes!!!

This review is not a knock against the company as a whole - CARFAX is a great place to work! My department however has left a very sour taste in my mouth that I still can’t get rid of to this day. I feel sorry for he person who has to fill my shoes because they are walking into a position where they are guaranteed to fail.

CARFAX Response

Dec 6, 2017 – Director, HR

We take all feedback seriously. Thank you for taking the time to submit this review. Your comments will help us review our procedures and systems currently being utilized.

5. "Customer Support Specialist"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Knowing that you are truly cared for here and treated as a person (not just an employee).
    - Can come in everyday knowing and believing that the work you do has purpose and meaning.
    - Free lunch Fridays!
    - CARFAX Swag
    - Amazing people and amazing team!
    - the list goes on and on

Cons

- No person or company out there is 100% perfect, but I don't believe that I have found any real or lasting cons that I can think of at the moment.

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you're doing! Sometimes there are politics so I would say continue to work through and improve upon that.
    - Giving 3 stars (neutral) for Career Opportunities as I do not know yet and have not been here long enough to give an accurate and honest assessment.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free food and super casual office

Cons

carfax is going down hill QUICK! High turnover and HR is an absolute nightmare. They are not there to help the employees, they are only looking out for Carfax - so don't bother relaying concerns to them. The company used to care about the quality of people, but thats ancient history. You will have to work 20 times harder than the people who have been there years because they understand how to win the office politics and games that are played. It's really sad to see where this company has gone and how they discriminate so openly!

Advice to Management

Take a real good look at the people you have running these departments. Get HR to actually do their job and support the employees for a change.

"Behind the Smoke and Mirrors"

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Great benefits, healthcare with great coverage, fair vacation policy. Offer nice swag at events. I truly believe the company wants to be a place of great culture. I believe there is a disconnect between CEO, HR and how management really treats their employees. Top level technology offered to field team.

Cons

I'm guessing working within the office environment is a whole different ball of wax than being out in the field, which is why the reviews are high. While the company offers fun business meeting trips 3 times a year, that is pretty much where the loving/fun atmosphere ends.
    This perfect person for this position is a puppet. You are literally given talk tracks and role-playing of these. They truly do not prefer you deviate from the lines they have told you to say. If you try to talk to a Director with logic you get slapped down with narcissism of what "you should have done". Condescension is not a love language. This is from senior management down.
    Just when everyone is about to meltdown, they have their large group meetings, Stockholm Syndrome you about how lucky you are to work there. They provide nice trips, food and booze and great gifts... then you go back home to finish dealing with huge, non justified price increases (so IHS can buy another 30 companies) and being talked to like children by management.

Advice to Management

If you do care, truly dive into the way your Field Directors treat their employees. Putting employees on the spot in front of management or sharing surveys just makes it worse. While no employee is irreplaceable, Directors telling employees this, is just rude and makes an unhealthy atmosphere. Employees do not feel like HR is a safe zone where they can come with concerns, nothing feels confidential.

"Not a Great Place for a Career"

I worked at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Perks like free Friday lunches

Cons

If you want more than perks, look elsewhere for your career. Learning the business of vehicle history information doesn't open many doors. What's worse, there are corners of CARFAX in which a few long-timers are extremely political and averse to bringing in best practices if it means change. I saw good people denied promotions or fired without warning (or even honest explanations) pretty much just over turf wars and self preservation.

Advice to Management

You've grown in your niche about as much as you can, and you'll need more serious challenges to how you operate if you want to keep growing and preserving your margins.

9. "Thus far a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On-boarding was great! Very informative and they kept us fed. The company history and the CARFAX Playbook are definitely drilled into you, but in a good way. Very relaxed environment. You can wear what you want everyday, jeans, flip flops, shorts, etc. as long as it is not vulgar. You can also bring your dog to work everyday. Free lunch every Friday. Overall a great experience thus far.

Cons

None to share at this time

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job!

10. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Carfax is a great place to work. They breathe work/life balance and ensure that all their employees have what they need to succeed. Hands down the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Trying to find a "con" is hard. I honestly don't think I've worked there long enough to find one.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work.