CARFAX Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
CARFAX President Richard Raines
Richard Raines

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work-life balance is surreal" (in 69 reviews)

• "Work at your own pace, bonus program that drives employee performance, free Friday Lunch, happy hours, company events, pet friendly & more" (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "There doesn't seem to be much room for growth in many positions in the company" (in 8 reviews)

• "I had no cons while working at Carfax" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Where else would you rather be?"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Northeast, NY

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best people in the business.
    Best tools available.
    Laser-like focus on being the best as a complete solution for the car dealer and the same focus on helping the used car owner in every aspect from buying to servicing to selling.
    Always wanting team members be more successful.
    Creating a work/life experience for the team.
    Very transparent about success or areas for improvement.
    Opportunity to go others places in the comany.
    Senior team longevity.

Cons

I really can’t think of anything that sticks out.
    There are always going to be frustrations in any workplace but the pros make the cons easy to move past.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing because I want to retire from CARFAX.

2. "I pinch myself everyday to remind myself I get to work here"

Current Employee - Management in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Management in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

casual dress code, friday lunch, a very approachable HR department, I great boss that helps me learn and grow but doesn't smother me, allowing people to bring in their dogs. having dogs around really helps with the casual positive atmosphere of the office

Cons

after all these years, nothing really to mention!

Advice to Management

don't change

3. "Great place to be!"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative environment, no jerks allowed, high-performing teams everywhere!

Cons

Less paid time off than some other companies, but the culture and positive environment make up for it; company promotes a healthy balance of work and play, so there is less likelihood of burnout

4. "Great Place"

Pros

WE work as a team and succeed as a team. I am so grateful to be a part of this team

Cons

No cons at this time

5. "A lot of change over a short amount of time"

I worked at CARFAX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Peers and most coworkers are awesome and most have a positive attitude. HR is very helpful, and will work with you when you need them most. Compensation is good...

Cons

Since being publicly bought out, the "culture" has definitely changed. It was a fun company to work for but now it is Revenue, Revenue, Revenue. The buy out effected management in that they don't listen to the employee anymore, but rather to the Board of Directors. Taking care of the employee used to be a priority, as if they took care of the employee, the employee took care of the customer. Not any more.
    Nepotism runs rampant, and there is very little room for advancement. Morale is at the lowest ever in the field, and like others, there is now a disconnect from corporate to the field. Favoritism is HUGE!

Advice to Management

Take serious consideration into getting back into an FAB, and actually listen to them. Treat everyone equal, and not have "pet" employees. Flush the "Good Ole Boy" network and freshen Management up.

6. "Guilty - I totally love working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not sure where to start...working for a financially successful organization (hence solid/stable) with a strong, trusted brand is amazing. The pride in what we do is evident throughout our offices and on the road with our field team everyday. I do love working with just about everyone I’ve come into contact with over the years. Every once in a while I have a head-scratching moment, whether related to a project or colleague or decision, and 9 times out of 10 I am able to leverage our trust-based, collaborative environment to get things out on the table and resolve issues or confusion in a jiffy. One must be willing to own a problem or challenge, though, and expend the energy to do so...I worry that some of the folks who drop negative reviews on GD simply haven’t “manned up,” taken ownership of a challenge, and tried to move the ball forward, because CARFAX is hands-down the best place I’ve worked in 20+ years to do something like that. Employee activities are simply AMAZING and the office/amenities keep getting better. Seeing employees’ joy from spending their days with their dog by their side or knowing they can bring a child into the office in a pinch is priceless. Are we Amazon or Google regarding our tech stack and stock options? No...but we’re also not a meat grinder where you leave every day knowing you’ll log in at home and keep on working every night and weekend. I’ll take this over that any day of the week and twice on Sunday (as my Grandma used to say).

Cons

Yes, the reviews are true, there is a ton of food at CARFAX. :-) It can be challenging to hire younger folks (and even some non-younger ones) in Centreville given the lack of social amenities around the office. As you can probably tell in the photos, our offices are very open which is great for collaboration and team camaraderie, but it can be challenging when you need some quiet space to focus.

Advice to Management

Keep the faith, be true to the Playbook, and keep pushing us to grow in a healthy way. Help us leverage the strength of our successful, multi-national parent company (IHSMarkit) without allowing them to change our business formula and culture.

CARFAX Response

Oct 19, 2018 – Director, HR

Thank you for the review! We will always stay true to the Playbook and feed you well!!!

"Good company...but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Centreville, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Centreville, VA

I worked at CARFAX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Friday lunch
    EAP(employee appreciation party)

Cons

*Flat organization absolutely no room for growth
    *Favoritism
    *No room for growth
    *Management makes you feel like this is the best place to work...but it really isn’t
    *when you go over and beyond recognition is slim to none....unless your a manger favorite.

Advice to Management

Don’t get me wrong carfax is a good company and is a good starter job. But it’s not a career move. If you love the feeling of being in a repetitive day flow...then this is the place for you.

8. "Excellent culture"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbia, MO

I have been working at CARFAX full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Forward thinking in technology and culture. New tech all the time. Plenty of training.

Cons

Getting more corporate every day

9. "Account Manager"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Collaborative, team focused environment full of positive people working towards a clear common goal. Proves that, when you're careful about picking the right staff and consciously cultivating an incredible environment, people will work to their highest potential and have a blast doing it!

Cons

Upward mobility may take longer here because people love it so much they don't want to leave.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and keep working to find ways to groom and reward the top talent you've found!

"Inside Sales Rep DBU"

I have been working at CARFAX full-time

Pros

Health benefits are excellent

Cons

Poor management team always looking for the “cancer” fails to realize that rewarding cheaters makes them the cancer. They promise a lot but deliver very little and you will soon realize this is a slaughterhouse for Inside Sales Reps and that IHS needs to examine the family members who are in managerial positions.

Advice to Management

Hard to provide advice to a deaf Management team “supported” by a puppet HR department who IHS also should be taking a close look at.

CARFAX Response

Nov 5, 2018 – Director, HR

Our goal is to provide a great work experience and to reward great results. It’s clear from your post that while you’re happy with your benefits, you are very unhappy with your current work situation... More