64% would recommend to a friend
(543 total reviews)
64% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Great work life balance and the list goes on." (in 88 reviews)
- "I truly believe the company wants to be a place of great culture." (in 45 reviews)
- "Great people and teams" (in 42 reviews)
- "Great Benefits (just added 26 weeks of maternity and paternity leave!)" (in 42 reviews)
- "Pay is good" (in 14 reviews)
- "1) Management will always ask for employee feedback on projects, products, etc but sadly it means nothing." (in 21 reviews)
- "Salaries low for similar job at other auto companies." (in 16 reviews)
- "Some managers need to work on soft skills." (in 16 reviews)
- "What once used to be like a family is now laughable and nepotism is rampant." (in 13 reviews)
- "Upper management has expressed strongly that testing is the only way to prove something is of value to the team/company." (in 11 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of CARFAX and is not affected by filters.
Found 543 of over 581 reviews
Updated Nov 22, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0FEATURED REVIEWMay 11, 2023Regional Account ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Work life balance, culture, director management
Little growth options, beginning pay can be a bit lower than typical for type of jobCARFAX Response7mo
Thanks for the review! As we continue to grow, so do our career opportunities. There's still more work to be done, but it's great not having always someone looking over your shoulder while we do it. Thanks for being part of Team CARFAX!
- 5.0Nov 1, 2023Regional Account ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearHartford, CT
Great benefits and amazing work life balance!
Not many. Limited flexibility when it comes to accounts pricing and negotiations but that creates an even playing field for all.CARFAX Response4w
We're glad to have you as part of Team Carfax and our exciting future. Our Four-Day Summer Work Weeks will be here again before you know it. Thanks for taking time to leave a review.
- 4.0Aug 19, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 8 years
- Relaxed work environment. - Work/Life Balanced. - Annual Team Appreciation party. They really do put on a good celebration every year for the employees with dinner, prizes, open bar, etc. - Time off between Christmas and New Years. Entire company is closed and this doesn't come out of your CTO time bucket. - 4 Day work weeks in the summer. This is great, and alot of people mention this here as a benefit...... but the entire picture isn't being told. They subtract 1 week of your PTO because of this. So if you've been here awhile and get 5 weeks a year CTO.... you actually only get 4 now. So really they're telling you when you can use that 1 week. - $500 per employee each year. This started during COVID and the first time was to use that money for our home office ( Because we were doing well and being productive working from home ). Since opening the offices back up, now it's to be used for Health-Related things. ( Gym membership, classes, hiking gear, golf clubs...you name it ).
- RTO ( Returning to the office ). It's not so much that we have to go back, it's how it is being handled. Mandatory for some people. Not for others. If you live within an hours drive, you have to go in on the allotted days for your department. But those people that moved away during COVID or were hired remote still get to work remote. We have directors ( top leaders ) who are 100% remote. Hypocritical. Every one of these reviews I've read where people complain about RTO, the common response from CARFAX is that we know it wont please everyone, but we really are better together. If that's truly your position, then how do you justify those getting to work remote? - Product Roadmap. This year has been the worse since I've been here ( and I've been here for 10+ years ). There are several "#1 Priority" things going on. There's a push now more than ever to rush things out the door and 'get things done'. It feels like part of the reason for this is to justify the 4-day work weeks in the summer. To prove to S&P ( our parent company ) that we are productive.33CARFAX Response3mo
Thank you for writing a review! We love our TAP too, and the 4-Day Summer Work Week. Just to be clear, your time off isn't impacted by it, so however many weeks you get are all yours to use! There may not be a perfect solution for RTO that makes everyone happy, but we won't stop working to try and find it. In the meantime, we do think that giving our team flexibility in their schedule is a great option. We hope that focusing on our mission and working with our great team will help you rediscover your passion. Thanks again for your feedback.
- 1.0Nov 22, 2023Anonymous EmployeeCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsClimax, MI
Steady work, good teammates, don’t have to work nights or weekends
More and more of our jobs are being offshored to Canada, India and Poland. Carfax might be growing, but it appears the growth is mostly in other countries, not the U.S. Maybe we should get it over with and officially rename Carfax to Carproof America. Understandably, Carfax says nothing about their offshoring strategy to reduce pay growth. Why highlight job insecurity, increase worker anxiety and worsen our retention and hiring issues?3
- 3.0Sep 18, 2023ManagerCurrent Employee, more than 10 yearsCentreville, VA
The people, the technology, the atmosphere, the flexibility (for some), the work-life balance, the good that we do for the larger community.
Favoritism A growing divide between individual contributors and leadership Lack of a sense of security A return to office policy based on senior leadership desires rather than common sense need Benefits that used to be great are now mediocre at best and not competitive Compensation - raises the last few years that aren't anywhere close to keeping up with inflation Erosion of a once great corporate culture35CARFAX Response3mo
Our mission is to help millions of people, so thank you for pointing out "the good that we do for the larger community". We believe in that mission and in everyone on Team Carfax who carries it out. We have a healthy business that continues to grow but recognize there are areas like the ones you've pointed out where there's work to do. We appreciate the honest feedback and the many years you've spent as an important member of Team Carfax.
- 2.0May 2, 2023Dev Ops EngineerCurrent Employee
In all fairness, there are still some good things about working here. 4 day summer work weeks (but we think that's going away), you get lots of CARFAX stuff, like tee-shirts. Lunch provided on Wednesday (hit or miss), happy hour now and again. People are fun and smart.
Company forces us to come into the office even though it makes no sense and only makes our jobs (and lives) more difficult. The tech is pretty old and the business does things "the way we've always done them." Compensation is terrible, equity is no longer given and raises are tiny - 1-2%. Office in VA is morose - people are super upset about having to come back for no reason at all.31CARFAX Response7mo
Thanks for your honest feedback! We agree that our people will always be what drives us to the top. We made some difficult decisions that we knew wouldn't please everyone, but we've shown time and again that we're at our very best when we're together. When we come together as a team, we are unstoppable. Thanks for being a part of Team CARFAX!
- 4.0Nov 13, 2023Software EngineerCurrent EmployeeColumbia, MO
Good stepping stone after college
Not a lot of growthCARFAX Response2w
You'll be interested in some improvements we're rolling out soon that focus on the growth and development of our talented team. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to you growing your career at Carfax.
- 2.0Sep 20, 2023Software EngineerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsWashington, DC
Another year of 4-day summer work week - a really good benefit. The people, for the most part, are really great to work with. I wish I was learning more at my job but the tech is pretty old stuff - seems like 30 years of doing the same thing.
It's not just about the RTO - for sure that's a big part of the unhappiness (at least in the office) - but more about leadership just burying its head in the sand and thinking they can wait it out until it all blows over. Whether they want to acknowledge it or not, the culture is quickly dying here. This is clear when you see the same, canned HR response to every negative glassdoor review: "Thanks for your feedback! We had to make hard decisions!" No you didn't. The decisions were easy - you just continually made the wrong decision. The contempt that our CEO has for the employees at CARFAX is obvious. He can't even bring himself to address us at meetings, instead pushing senior team members in front of the staff. Taking on the role of dictator, he instituted that management spend four days a week in the office over the summer. The result? Managers now resent their employees that only have to come in 3 days - and their annoyance is visible. It makes for a hostile working environment. Instead of a positive weekly email kicking off our (amazingly good benefit) of summer fridays, we got a reminder that our summer friday benefit is actually a net negative for company - something we should feel bad about because we're "losing 20% of our productivity." Super inspiring stuff from our CEO. And that might not be a problem if the inequity wasn't so blatent and hypocritical - we all hope the senior management team (and half the company in the dealer business side!) had a wonderful holiday down in Florida - treated to resort accomodations and incredible meals. All the while, we're pestered to "vote for work smarter ideas" where we highlight how we can all save the company money. It's like working at Exxon and being told to recycle your soda can to save the earth.38CARFAX Response2mo
Of the many things we value at Carfax, one of them is the opinions of our team members. Some people like being in the office, others don't. Some people like hearing from other members of the leadership team, others don't. That's what makes the decisions we make difficult - knowing they won't please everyone. But every decision is made with our people and our customers in mind. There is so much that makes Carfax special, but most important is the team of people we have who believe in our mission and are proud of the work we do day in and day out to deliver on that mission. If there's something you think we can do to make that experience better for everyone, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for sharing your opinion with us.
- 1.0Jun 1, 2023Software EngineerCurrent Employee
4-day summer work week (Memorial to Labor Day)
Unfortunately, my time at CARFAX has been marked by a lack of responsiveness to employee concerns and a failure to truly listen. Despite attempts to provide feedback and suggestions, it often feels like our voices go unheard or are dismissed without proper consideration. This has led to a sense of frustration and a perceived lack of value for employee opinions. In addition, the decision to force employees back into the office has been deeply disappointing. Given the significant changes in work dynamics and the success of remote work during COVID, many employees were hoping for continued flexibility or a more gradual transition back to the office. However, the mandatory return has disregarded the preferences and concerns of employees, causing unnecessary stress and disruption. The lack of consultation and transparent communication surrounding this decision has further eroded trust and morale within the organization. It is crucial for a company to engage in open dialogue with its employees, especially when making significant changes that impact their work-life balance and well-being. By not considering their perspectives, CARFAX has missed an opportunity to create a more inclusive and supportive environment. I strongly believe that a company's success lies in its ability to listen to its employees and value their opinions. When employees feel heard, they become more engaged, motivated, and loyal. I encourage CARFAX to reconsider its approach to employee feedback and take steps to foster a culture of open communication and genuine collaboration. It is my hope that CARFAX recognizes the importance of listening to its employees and takes meaningful actions to create a more inclusive and employee-centric work environment.23CARFAX Response6mo
Thanks for letting us know your thoughts. We listen but lead and while our decisions about how we work may not please everyone, we're doing what's best for CARFAX. While many companies are cutting back, we're still providing schedule flexibility and a great Work-Life Balance, including our extra days off during the holidays and 4-day summer work weeks. Thanks for being part of our team.
- 5.0Oct 27, 2023SalesCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearPhiladelphia, PA
Great hours, staff, location, perks.
Not always fulfilling work to do.CARFAX Response2mo
We love our perks and benefits too, but what we're most proud of is our team delivering on our mission to help millions of people each day. Our Customer Connections program is one way that can help you find greater meaning in your work by seeing how other areas of our business help millions of people every day. Thanks for taking time to leave a review.
CARFAX Reviews FAQs
CARFAX has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 581 reviews left anonymously by employees. 64% of employees would recommend working at CARFAX to a friend and 64% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.
64% of CARFAX employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated CARFAX 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.