KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of IHS Markit
Engaged Employer

CARFAX

Add a Review

CARFAX Employee Reviews about "flat organization"

Updated Dec 1, 2021

Found 16 of over 448 reviews

4.6
CARFAX Chief Executive Officer Bill Eager (no image)
Bill Eager
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Friday afternoon (after that delicious free lunch) is for personal/professional development that can be spent learning anything of your choosing(in 47 reviews)

• "Treat Employees well and great benefits(in 28 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Location of CARFAX could be better(in 53 reviews)

• "Flat Organization - Promotions are hard earned but worth it(in 16 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about CARFAX

Join the conversation on

Automotive

4m

a

Manager

Have opportunity to buy a 2006 BMW E46 M3 6-speed for about $2500. Good deal? Car has 117k on the odometer and pictures and carfax show the car was well maintained. Would be buying through a reputable online auction.

16 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of CARFAX and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "flat organization"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Is the Hooneymoon over after 15 years?

Dec 1, 2021 - Director in Scottsdale, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Goal Clarification is paramount Team CARFAX = authentic culture Wisdom of Crowds always produces a better answer We live by the One-Pagers to tee up every large-scale internal meeting Partners see CARFAX as the "raving fan" account management team

Cons

Flat organization structure but learning, experiences & salary plus bonus increase offsets the lack of title bumps

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

GREAT PLACE TO WORK!

Oct 29, 2021 - Regional Account Manager in Centreville, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team Oriented and always in the know regarding the business and its future. Flat Organization

Cons

Flat Organization - Promotions are hard earned but worth it

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

An Actual Work Life Balance!

Oct 1, 2021 - Supervisor in Centreville, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Accommodating and Flexible WFH balance. Senior Team actually care about your well-being. Company wide appreciation show employees.

Cons

Not my favorite medical coverage. Flat organization - could care more about titles.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Enjoying my career

Mar 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Carfax does a great job of defining the vision for each fiscal year, what the priorities are within the overall vision, and how to implement the vision within each priority. This is a huge help in understanding an employee's own job, expectations, and executing on the vision.

Cons

Flat organization that can create the perception of no upward growth. Sometimes too many tools are embraced for innovation and it can create create noise instead of a clear path.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Wonderful organization

Apr 15, 2020 - Regional Acquisition Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

CARFAX was a fantastic place to work for 6+ years. I have never been at a company where every single employee is treated like a critical member of the team from the top down. And "top down" is a loose term as it's a flat organization where you'll typically only have to answer to your direct boss. Richard Raines has a way of getting the most out of his employees without putting negative pressure on them. Instead, every employee is given a chance to vote on a yearly basis what is important to the them and the company. This simple but vital process really helps push the company towards a common team goal. The "team" and "one goal" concept is a big part of what makes CARFAX successful and such great place to work. One of the first things you'll see if you take a position here are the "gears" that make the company run. It might seem cheesy at first, but once you get an understanding of how CARFAX works, it really helps illustrate the importance of everyone's role. Like any great organization, CARFAX will give you more than enough resources and surround you with enough smart and talented people to be successful. But it's up to you to make it happen. If you're not comfortable with lofty goals and being able to quickly pivot your focus when needed, this is not the company for you. The vacation time is generous (and quite frankly way more than you'll ever need or use), the compensation is on the plus side of fair and the annual Employee Appreciation Party is a great event. There is also a stock plan with the parent company IHS that is very favorable, as is the 401K match. If you're based out of the corporate office in Centreville, there are also free lunches, clinics and tons of company sponsored events. And people actually participate which is not always the case at a lot of companies. Overall, the people is what makes CARFAX such a great company. But it certainly helps that it's such a strong (and recognizable) product/brand. You will never have to explain to a customer what CARFAX is. You might correct them on confusion between CARFAX and Carmax but that's about it. Think of CARFAX as the Amazon of the vehicle data world. On the surface it seems like they do one thing. But when you dig deeper into the company, there are silos all over the place creating new markets and revenue opportunities. There is no company in the industry that can come close to that.

Cons

- There is an unfortunate byproduct of a successful but flat organization, and that is you'll eventually run out of ways to promote or compensate your A-players. Because it's such a fun place to work, a lot of people will gladly stay at CARFAX even though they could be earning 10-25% more somewhere else. But I've also seen a lot of talented people voluntarily leave positions at CARFAX when they were top performers on their team. I'm not necessarily saying exceptions need to be made, but there should be more of a consistent "at goal" number. No one likes having a good year and finding out they would've earned much more 2 years ago. - The parent company of CARFAX is IHS and while it's largely insulated from them, there are some trickle down policies that have made CARFAX seem like less of a private company and more of a corporate arm. I'm not talking about yearly SOX or harassment training which comes with any public company, but the healthcare plan has significantly declined over the years. Over 6 years the same level of coverage went up 120%. The other benefits stayed great, but health care coverage consistently went up.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 3.0

Fun place to work

May 14, 2019 - Operations Coordinator
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great community, open door policy, great benefits

Cons

Doesn’t pay well unless you’re in sales, very flat organization

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Truly a GREAT Place to Work!

Sep 8, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working for a company where I feel truly valued as an employee. Every day I come to work, I'm able to work in a way that plays to my strengths and also laugh and have fun with my co-workers. We are great about celebrating our successes as a company. I love that we make time to celebrate and have fun events at work. I'm also able to have a great work-life balance. My manager is very flexible if I need to leave the office for a bit or work from home one day. Honestly, I can't imagine any place I would rather work!

Cons

It's a flat organization, so you're not going to get a new title every year. However, that doesn't mean you can't still grow as a professional. There are still opportunities to learn new skills and take on new tasks.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Work here to experience success

Aug 21, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Top to bottom, everyone believes in the product and our mission. Very relaxed culture, no one constantly looking over your shoulder or at their watch. Do your job and do it well and you have all the freedom you want. Competitive benefits, great time off plan, clear vision of company future. Company goes out of its way to recognize individual success and celebrate corporate achievements.

Cons

Flat organization, which turns some people off. If increasing title is important to you, this is probably not the place you want. Responsibilities grow but upward mobility is stagnant.

CARFAX Response

Communications Director

Thanks for sharing the enthusiasm and hope it's just your first 10 years. We think having a flat company without a lot of middle management and titles is really helpful: It's helped us keep that pioneering spirit. We want to make sure though, that people like you feel well rewarded, challenged, and have lots of opportunity to grow. Let us know if you have any ideas on how we can do that better!

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Java Developer

Sep 5, 2013 - Java Developer in Columbia, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Agile Framwork, Great people, Great company perks, Benefits are good, Christmas Parties, Yearly Bonuses, Good group based work environment for cultivating work relationships

Cons

Flat Organization, No opportunities for advancement, stagnant business model, only moderate raises, many in management who have no business being managers as they are horrible at managing people

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Culture good and bad - can be deceiving to an outsider.

Apr 14, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary and vacation time is on par with my type of role, casual dress code and fun co-workers.

Cons

Flat organization with little room for growth or advancement, promotions are made if you are part of the "inner circle" of people who have worked there for many years, management lacks experience managing teams, nepotism is a very big issue within the organization.

7 people found this review helpful