CB Insights Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2020

4.1
CB Insights CEO, Co-founder Anand Sanwal
Anand Sanwal
Pros
  • "Lots of things to love about CBI(in 10 reviews)

• "The company culture is probably the best on the East Coast(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Knowing everyone in the organization can be difficult since the company is growing rapidly(in 11 reviews)

• "Company is growing fast, so there are growing pains(in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"No better place to work if you are serious about building a real company and growing your career"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at CB Insights full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CB Insights has incredible market fit which means its on us to capitalize on the opportunity ahead of us. They do a great job hiring for humility so there are not a lot of big egos or politics. We are growing fast, but doing it without burning cash so it shows this is legit growth (versus heavily venture backed companies). The industry (emerging tech and startups) is very exciting and only growing. Results speak for themselves and there are a ton of promotions and opportunities for people that are performing as we continue to grow.

Cons

No real cons, just hope we don't lose our "edge" as we grow as it only gets harder.

2. "Good"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at CB Insights full-time

Pros

Goof it was very fun

Cons

Good No problems with this placd

"Amazing BD Team"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at CB Insights full-time

Pros

I saw some recent negative reviews and I have to call them out as sour grapes from a couple of under performers. Out of college, I was given the opportunity to work my through the SDR program and was promoted to an Account Executive back in January. While "crushing it" is not just handed to everyone, those that are willing to work hard and embrace learning are given a better opportunity for career growth and success than any other sales organization that I have heard about from the many friends that I have in the industry. It starts with our SVP, who is considered one of the best in the industry. He is great to work with and incredibly humble. He built a great team of Sales leaders that bring incredible energy and together the leadership team does everything possible to help us execute on our goals. While we do strive for high performance, we have been provided great resources to help us ramp quickly including an amazing manager, sales coach and SDR support. The teams culture is really collaborative and I would not trade this team or leadership for any in the world.

Cons

I do not have much to complain about. Just like many of our AEs, I was given an opportunity to have my career fast tracked by working hard and being successful in my earlier roles. This is not the place though for people that just want to coast. We are given great resources, but you still need to be hungry and team centric. The only real complaint I would say is even though it generally gets worked out, finance can sometimes be frustrating to deal with. All in all, this is a great company and fantastic team.

"Exciting and cool place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at CB Insights full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The product is really first class! - The peers I work with are smart and really supportive - The opportunity for growth and promotion is in your hands - The CEO is super involved and addresses the employees often

Cons

They address issues as they come up so it is hard to say there are cons working here!

Continue reading

"Good people, terrible management"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at CB Insights full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- If you’re interested in the innovation/startup space, it’s a good place to learn. - Attracts smart & helpful young people

Cons

- terrible middle/top level management - career development is non-existent - lack of transparency around equity

6. COVID-19

"truly sinking ship"

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at CB Insights full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Really fun product to sell when you can find accounts that have $100k+ to play with (that also aren’t owned by more tenured AE’s) - Have awesome conversations with super intelligent business leaders (corporate strategy, innovation, market intelligence, etc) at large corporations - Already working with many of the Fortune 500 which is cool to boast about when telling friends what you do and who you work with - CBI conferences are very well respected in the financial services, insurance, and healthcare industries and typically have a great turn out from hot startup leaders and large corporations - Interesting research

Cons

- CBI is the definition of a luxury product. Many teams describe us as a nice to have but not relatively close to being something they need in their day-to-day or to stay alive, especially in post-pandemic 2020 - Nearly impossible to prove an ROI, CBI argues that it saves clients time researching (which is true) but that is often not enough for prospects to shell out 6 figures+ - Leadership is totally out of the loop when it comes to understanding the total addressable market. As a new AE you’ll find yourself scrounging for accounts worth spending your time on. How willing are you to prospect through india, china, the middle east, etc on top of taking super early and super late demos? This approach also hasn't shown to prove results. - Average client has well over 10k employees and $3B in revenue. A majority of the companies that are large enough/have enough money to purchase CB Insights know the product very well (have been pitched once every three months for years) or are already clients. - Less than 25% of account executives hit their previous quarter quota pre pandemic - AE managers lack bandwidth to help train due to increased turnover along with intricate/varying customer, industries, and use cases - Average 8+ month ramp for AE’s coming from the outside - Office politics and favoritism are at an all time high for such a small company. Kiss up or gradually see yourself out - I’ve heard hiring managers lie through their teeth on interview calls with potential new AE’s making countless empty promises like the “incredibly quick ramp, attainable OTE, and unlimited green grass”. - Leadership is famous for saying “more to come on that” while deflecting any tough questions/gripes during team meetings. They truly don’t know how to turn things around at this point as they’ve spent a ton of money on account scoring services as well as time trying to get AEs more accounts and leads to work - Awesome influx of marketing or “SWAT” leads but good luck getting any of the worth while opportunities as those are reserved for the top account executives who own the best accounts, those that are suspiciously close with the inbound team, or just completely snake the system. Management will deny that last one ever happening - No available products or price points for mid-market prospects and below. There are thousands of companies with less than 5k employees that would love to have access to CB insights, they will just never get budget approval. So much money being left on the table which is particularly frustrating AE’s trying to close anything possible.

7. COVID-19

"Do not come here"

Former Employee - Business Development

I worked at CB Insights full-time

Pros

There are a few smart people sprinkled throughout the company; they are, unfortunately, the minority.

Cons

Have never had a professional experience like this one. I have worked at several other tech companies that had awesome cultures, great colleagues, and impressive leadership. This is, unfortunately, not one of those companies. The problems start with the passive and arrogant leadership. The CEO is uninspiring and could care less about the people who work here. Everything is ambiguous: company policies, the work from home situation, business decisions. Their business development team are extremely behind in their quarterly and yearly goals. This means your earnings will be far below market rate. Most folks here wound up making less money than they did at previous companies. Very few individuals hit their numbers, aside from a handful of people who have been there for 4+ years and who possess all of the best clients. Same goes for promotions. Do not expect to ever get promoted here unless you're one of their cronies. No one who is intelligent, hardworking, or has integrity will make it far here. Politics trump all logic or merit. Metrics and floundering numbers aside, CB Insights has a terrible culture. No one cares about the people, and this is reflected in everything they do. They are extremely cheap and almost never sponsor team or company wide events. If you want to bond with your colleagues it will be over once a month bagels and the occasional beer. They seem to believe that in providing the BARE minimum, like coffee, they are offering amazing "benefits." You will not find a cheaper company; every benefit they offer has strings attached. They find all sorts of ways to short change employees on expenses, commissions, stipends etc. The morale, particularly on the BD/CS teams, is the lowest and most depressing you can find. Many folks confided that they are just sticking around for the paycheck. Some people even shared that they received promotions but no raises or additional compensation. About 90% of the people are completely disengaged because the company has given them no incentives to try harder or to stick around. Almost every employee walks away disgruntled and worse off. If you are looking for a place to re-live your frat house days, CB Insights is the place to be. You'll see a plethora of positive reviews on Glassdoor, because they force people to write positive reviews. Heed all the Glassdoor reviews with caution, as this is a sinking ship that you don't want to get on. Good luck.

Continue reading

"A self grown startup with exciting tech stack that allows fast growing opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-III in New York, NY

I have been working at CB Insights full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a self grown startup, hence it is highly stable in terms of job security. It has exciting techstack with Go and Python in backend with Node and React in frontend, thus allows great learning opportunities. Also it is continuously growing so there are always new products/features being shipped. Also company culture is great which enables creative thinking and allows fast growth.

Cons

There is no serious concern as such.

"Account executive"

I worked at CB Insights

Pros

Great pay, great culture and perks.

Cons

Product is technically intense and not for everyone. Ramp up is longer than other roles.

"great people good work"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at CB Insights full-time

Pros

wonderful people and interesting work

Cons

be self motivated, loose guidance (not necessarily a con)

Found 97 reviews