CBG Building Company Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2021

4.5
CBG Building Company President Glenn Ferguson (no image)
Glenn Ferguson
1 Rating
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Fun place to work with lots of opportunities for career growth!

Feb 22, 2021 - Assistant Project Executive in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really good bonus structure, much more than my past company. Unlike previous companies, CBG always pays their bonuses in a timely manner. People are really fun to work with and there is no shortage of opportunities. CBG has given me many more opportunities to accelerate my career compared to my old company who was a larger GC in the DC market. The work environment is really fun. I am surrounded with many people with experience just a year or two ahead of mine which has really helped my career grow. It is nice to see people just a year or two ahead of me in my career which gives me optimism with my career path.

Cons

Wish I started here out of college. When I left college, I interviewed with CBG, but decided to go with a larger GC firm in the DC area. I was attracted to the bigger company, but when I got there, I felt like a small fish in a big pond. I feel like I lost a year or two at the bigger company. With lots of opportunity given at a young age - comes required hard work. In order to accelerate your career at CBG, you need to put in the hours and work hard. Fortunately, if you do this, CBG rewards you in terms of salary, bonuses, flexibility, and more career opportunity.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee

Not a bad first job

Apr 7, 2021 - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay for an entry level position.

Cons

Long days and a very inappropriate/ uncomfortable environment to be a female in the construction industry.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good for Career Growth

Aug 19, 2020 - Assistant Superintendent
    Business Outlook

Pros

There lots of resources provided to help individuals broaden their construction knowledge.

Cons

Sometimes projects are far from where you live.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fantastic Company with employees well bing in mind

Jun 10, 2019 - Superintendent in Arlington, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Upper management, benefits, promote within

Cons

Divide between office and field staff

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Feb 19, 2019 - Project Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- company culture - opportunity - benefits - management - exciting work

Cons

long hours, but to be expected with the industry

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Would work here again

Feb 20, 2019 - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

They have a great team building environment. There were monthly events for the employees to have fun and meet other coworkers. The team I worked with helped me learn more than I could have expected in the multi-family sector.

Cons

Not really a con, but as an intern, you don't always have many daily tasks, so you will have to seek them out.

7. 5.0

Great Company, Driven, Family Feel, Employee Oriented

Jul 21, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The reason I chose to come to work here and the reason I am still here is because of the great work environment here. I feel that we are all on a team, whether on a project level, or an office level, or a company-wide level. The level of camaraderie and teamwork is great. Its a big company, but it feels very small in the way the employees are treated. People work really hard here because they really care about contributing to the team and are very driven to succeed and perform at a high level. Everyone is very welcoming and supportive of new employees. The people at this company are definitely seen as the most valuable resource and are treated accordingly.

Cons

Work / Life balance can be tricky with so many highly motivated people around. Finding this balance is unique to each person though. The company does put on a lot of social events, outings, etc... and the company does seek to keep a close pulse on the well being and opinions of its people through mentor programs, annual conferences, etc...

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great all-around company to work for!

Sep 27, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked for CBG for a few years now, and they are by far one of the best out there. The construction industry is inherently stressful and filled with long work hours. CBG helps to counter this by hosting sports outings, golf tournaments, happy hours, and team building activities. Additionally, I have a great working relationship with all of my colleagues at CBG, and wouldn't hesitate to call them with any concerns I might have. This includes upper management. I've experienced first hand that, hard working and determined individuals are rewarded for their efforts at CBG. This can be both monetarily and/or with career advancements. Along that same line, there is tons of opportunities within the company. Positions such as superintendent, engineer, project executive, safety manager etc... All are available avenues for expanding or exploring other career paths.

Cons

There are very few cons. However, if I had to pick one, it would be balancing work and home life can sometimes be tough. This is a hard issue to combat because the construction industry is notoriously stressful with long work hours. Social events are awesome, but time with family is ultimately more important.

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Does not Value its Employees

Sep 12, 2017 - Project Engineer in Lawrence, KS
    Business Outlook

Pros

Freedom during the day. Not a lot of oversight (because there are no defined roles). Great stepping stone company. I was able to research, apply, and do traveling interviews with another company without anyone noticing because of a lack of leadership, oversight, and poor management practices.

Cons

Constant micromanagement by upper management in the least important ways. i.e. Constantly worried about which subcontractors were parking on sight while there were significant portions of scope not bought out. Over half of the management team is remote and not located in the same region of the country. The company shows zero effort to train its staff. They would rather eliminate the employee and high someone else than to spend the time to train and develop the employee. VERY high employee turnover. The first portion of the job I worked on saw 7 different Superintendents, 2 Project Engineers, 1 field engineer, and 1 safety guy come and go before the job was finished.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Project Engineer

Oct 2, 2017 - Project Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

CBG offer great benefits and compensates its employees well. CBG gives it employees a lot of freedom to move around in the company and choose their own path. They also give you a lot of freedom to enjoy yourself and have a good work life balance. Team CBG is a great way for younger employees to get to know there peers and have a good time. I continue to enjoy working at CBG and hope to be here for a while.

Cons

I can not think of any Cons. As long as you are a hard worker and dedicated person you will like working here.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 40 Reviews