CBRE Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Chicago, IL Area

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes tough (in 64 reviews)

• upper management only listen to manager level (in 46 reviews)

1. "Industrial Brokerage Intern"

Former Intern - Industrial Brokerage in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Industrial Brokerage in Chicago, IL

I worked at CBRE as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Really friendly work environment, everyone wanted to help me learn

Cons

Company is pretty split up by division so you don't meet many people not on your team, also pay not great

2. "Business Services Clerk"

Former Employee - Business Services Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Services Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at CBRE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and a sense of community between the entire company. Many social gatherings were organized to help CBRE employees meet and socialize.

Cons

not much opportunity to advance above your starting title

Advice to Management

Encourage more student employees to work as leasing consultants or other jobs that involve basic clerical duties.

3. "Capital Markets Intern"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great guys, good working experience in CRE, a very well respected firm with a international brand and many networking opportunities.

Cons

Pay is really really bad for the internship - only improves when you become a full-time employee. The experience is worth it though.

Advice to Management

No advice

4. "Senior Vice President"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time

Pros

Incredible talent, and strong reinvestment in areas to truly provide the employees the what is required to deliver outstanding results for its clients. The collaborative culture and tremendous reinvestment in its employees has given this company a unique position in any business but truly sets them apart in the real estate services industry.

Cons

Collaboration and sharing of information, while strong for this industry, has room for improvement. That may be the biggest challenge to management, and achieving its vision.

Advice to Management

Many of the companies services lines depend on an alternative services line for point of sales. These other services lines should see to be complementary to each other, consistently seeking out value opportunities for clients by introducing the right professionals in other service lines more consistently.

"If you're part of a transition...take the package"

Current Employee - Manager in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a big company that you may be able to take a transfer with....maybe

Cons

They are used car salesman and it's all smoke and mirrors. You sit in the introduction meetings and they flat out lie to you. The people they bring in tell you they have X amount of years in so you are in good hands. The truth is they were fresh a year or two ago from a different transition. Half the people weren't there at the company four months later. Quit or fired.

Advice to Management

I’ve been there 5 months now as part of a “transition”. You deal with the management layer you had before plus the new CBRE management. They sent one guy to manage a transition of 1200 acres and 45 buildings. There is no support staff so get ready to be by yourself to figure everything out. It’s insanity trying to do your job and figure out how to do it without knowing the new systems, contacts, or who support what. If you do have budget authority…good luck. There are 3 new systems to learn…4 if you have never worked with Maximo. Doing employee time…3 hours for 18 employees. They were really cool at first then they sent everything out to bid for the part of the work my employees didn’t generally perform. Then they looked at if they bid out everything and said it was cheaper for it to be contracted out. If my employees performed everything they were currently doing they were cheaper in full scope. There was a part that they didn’t make a lot of profit on even though we were cheaper. My new boss looked at me and said we will get rid of your employees (insert my old companies name) won’t care. You don’t mean anything to them at all it’s just the bottom line. Save yourself the frustration and take the package and go on a vacation. I'm about a month from being fired or laid off because I can't work for unethical people.

"Good Starting Point"

Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Facilities Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at CBRE (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and decent time off.

Cons

Lots of red tape and you can't really do more than you are tasked with.

7. "Great Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Supportive leadership and customer focused culture.

Cons

Too much focus on Brokerage

"The fast food of the real estate appraisal industry"

Former Employee - Appraiser (Commercial Real Estate) in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Appraiser (Commercial Real Estate) in Chicago, IL

I worked at CBRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Access to market reports, free water taxi, nice views of the city from their office.

Cons

The flex office environment; not enough work; low fees; tight turns; pressure to hit unsupportable values, deceptive compensation structure... Shall I go on?

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management is to get a clue. The solution to gaining market share is not to add staff when you damn well know you don't have the work to go around. Also, and I can't believe there hasn't been a class action lawsuit filed, stop the deceptive compensation structure. Full disclosure on the Standard Plan (and they know exactly what I am referring to). They may be the largest commercial real estate services firm in the world, but they are by far the best.

"Parking... It is all about the Parking"

Former Employee - Real Estate Manager in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Real Estate Manager in Rosemont, IL

Pros

I have to identify a Pro in order to get this posted? Well, if you believe you can control where and how people park, this is the place to work!

Cons

CBRE owns a building in Rosemont, IL where the only thing they are concerned about is whether there is someone parked inappropriately. They don't bother to clean the parking lot so we have all types of trash there, including medical stuff, food stuff. At times you need a shovel to get through the parking lot, but hey you won't have any people parking incorrectly.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the nut who is obsessive about the people parking in the parking lot. Give them a broom and tell them to sweep the parking lot.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

Pros

Well known brand, global, great corporate offices.

Cons

Constant reorganization, no loyalty, doesn't deliver on its commitments. High egos everywhere. Never seen a company with so many CEOs and Presidents (it may be to support the high egos across the company.

Advice to Management

Get it together! Drop all the CEOs and presidents titles (there is suppose to be only one CEO, you should not need a title to get your job done). The dark green customer concept is the biggest scam.

Showing 41 of 2,210 reviews