CBRE Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 26, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes tough (in 57 reviews)

• upper management only listen to manager level (in 46 reviews)

1. "Associate Real Estate Manager"

I have been working at CBRE full-time

Pros

The company is so large you could transfer anywhere...if you wanted and if there is a position

Cons

The company is so large you get lost in the shuffle. It takes a million steps just to get an email address.

Advice to Management

Make the experience more fluid

"Empty Promises of Strong Values and Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The workplace is beautiful. The 360 technology is great, and the open environment makes the office feel, well less like an office.

Cons

The workplace is an extremely toxic environment. In less than a year an entire department has turned over every single Client Service Coordinator. Associate brokers and CSCs alike are given the false promise if they do well within the team, there is room for growth when there is not. They will also lie about the job you are apply/hired for. Will hire you for a marketing coordinator position, but then on day one change your title and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

You would think in a company as large as CBRE they would have some training procedures but no. They currently give zero training passed the first day of computer and email set up. Maybe if you learn to value your employees and actually try any retention strategies you wouldn't waste so much money turning over entire departments every six months. Once I went to management with legitimate concerns about the workplace environment and they threatened to fire me for bringing them up, which is illegal, so maybe you should stop doing that as well.

"IT Manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CBRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good business model. Good flexibility at work.

Cons

The IT department (now called D&T) has extremely corrupt hiring practices. Its very difficult to get in without a referral. A few years back they hired a VP from Perot systems who brought in close to 50 of her people from Perot in good positions (Director and above) thereby completely ignoring the hard working internal employees. Needless to say a majority of them were useless but were brought in superseding the talented internal employees. These same employees once inside had a big network amongst themselves and continued to get good performance reviews, better raises and promotions since they were in the Perot network and thereby corrupting the entire system. The IT Department lost a good number of internal employees because of that. With the arrival of the new CIO (Chandra) last year, she has brought in her own team now who hires only from Verizon at astronomical salaries and again ignoring the compensation paid to existing internal employees and creating a big salary disparity. Most of these new Verizon employees are pampered excessively but bring in little in terms of expertise which would be valuable to CBRE. The same mistake is being made all over again. Over the last six months a good number of internal old employees have left. This place is just a mess !!! Nepotism is rampant here especially in IT !!!

Advice to Management

Please do not allow anybody to bring in or hire several people from their old companies. Please put a cap on that - max of 3 people or something like that. It just corrupts the whole system over a period of time when the same people conduct performance reviews, raises and promotions of their own people in their network for years and years. It is extremely demotivating for the existing internal employees.

4. "Receptionist"

Current Employee - Receptionist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CBRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable. Work load is manageble and if you stay long enough then there are opportunities to move up due to the sheer amount of turnover.

Cons

Morale low/ Management frustrating. They make you wear cheap uniforms.

5. "Health and Safety Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at CBRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great position qorking with good people.

Cons

Lack of top level leadership.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who work for you regarsing issues.

"Analyst"

I worked at CBRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honestly, I cannot think of one. Not a single one.

Cons

The Management Team is comprised of a bunch of self absorbed, ignorant bullies who do nothing to coach or mentor their staff but rather seek pleasure in micromanaging them. This is so they can find the most trivial infractions to include in your performance evaluation to justify not giving you a raise. Despite the countless hours you spent meeting their objectives and yours, you never see a dime of that hefty bonus they collect by riding your coattails. To add insult to injury, you end up making less than you did the year before thanks to increases in insurance premiums and no cost of living raise to even compensate for it. Employees were expected to do the work of three but only get paid for one and promotions were reserved for those who were best friends with a manager or related to one. Those employees jetted up the corporate ladder in record time while other more deserving employees were passed up and then given vague excuses by management as to why they were rejected in a pathetic attempt to hide management's blatant nepotism. So if you love being ridiculously overworked and grossly underpaid, enjoy being harassed and bullied by managers because you're smarter than they are, get excited about higher ups taking credit for all your hard work, and look forward to being micromanaged, then CBRE is the perfect fit for you.

Advice to Management

High turnover rates are never a good sign. So please stop deluding yourself into thinking a mass exodus means the weak and worthless employees left because they just couldn't cut it. It means the exact opposite. Your best and brightest were sick of being unrecognized for their talent. Tired of not feeling empowered. Disgusted with your self serving attitudes. So they moved on to better, higher paying jobs with corporate cultures centered on employee development. On to companies that did not lack vision. On to companies that were not intimidated by their intelligence but rather embraced it. On to companies that truly cared. My advice to management is to take a moment and read all of the reviews left here for the Memphis office. I wish I had before I had accepted the position there. It would have saved me a multitude of stress and abuse.

7. "Mobile Building Engineer"

Former Employee - Mobile Building Engineer
    Former Employee - Mobile Building Engineer

I worked at CBRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay , decent benefits, a lot of versatility... But my negatives out way the pros... It was a bunch of malarkey working for them over all.

Cons

Micro management. Very disorganized, Jeff Wolfe is dumb and everybody knows it. A lot of favoritism shown and lack of impropriety at this organization. I was let go an wasn't even informed of why from them or insight global.. They are slow about everything literally.. It took a month for me to get uniforms, 3 weeks before I got an id. I waited 3 years after the job offer to start my first day. (GARBAGE).

Advice to Management

Fire Jeff Wolfe's incompetent 2 points of contact.. Don probably still riding around with an expired license plate.

8. "Dishonest"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at CBRE as a contractor

Pros

If you are a small business and want to do business with CBRE; don't, unless you like providing bottom dollar pricing, dealing with dishonest people, and would enjoy having your invoices paid via obscene terms not commensurate with your industry or business.

Cons

Was advised not to trust CBRE, and I should have taken that advice. They don't return calls as promised. They don't return emails as promised. They say one thing in person, and put another in writing. They use the word "partner" quite often in their discussions with their contractors. But, the word partner means both parties give equal consideration; they do not. If you work with an account where CBRE takes over, be prepared to pay $300 fee for "Vendor Screening." It doesn't matter that years you put into that account, and whether or not that account loves you; you will pay this ridiculous fee, as CBRE's "partner."

Advice to Management

Put yourself in other people's shoes and then perhaps you'll ascend to a level of understanding of how small business operates--which by the way is likely the backbone of your overall offering to your customers.

9. "Meh"

Former Employee - Mobile Technician
    Former Employee - Mobile Technician

I worked at CBRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok pay and good technology

Cons

No tuition assistance
    Expensive high deductible benefits

Advice to Management

To truly be a company that cares, you should invest in your employees.

"If you're part of a transition...take the package"

Current Employee - Manager in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a big company that you may be able to take a transfer with....maybe

Cons

They are used car salesman and it's all smoke and mirrors. You sit in the introduction meetings and they flat out lie to you. The people they bring in tell you they have X amount of years in so you are in good hands. The truth is they were fresh a year or two ago from a different transition. Half the people weren't there at the company four months later. Quit or fired.

Advice to Management

I’ve been there 5 months now as part of a “transition”. You deal with the management layer you had before plus the new CBRE management. They sent one guy to manage a transition of 1200 acres and 45 buildings. There is no support staff so get ready to be by yourself to figure everything out. It’s insanity trying to do your job and figure out how to do it without knowing the new systems, contacts, or who support what. If you do have budget authority…good luck. There are 3 new systems to learn…4 if you have never worked with Maximo. Doing employee time…3 hours for 18 employees. They were really cool at first then they sent everything out to bid for the part of the work my employees didn’t generally perform. Then they looked at if they bid out everything and said it was cheaper for it to be contracted out. If my employees performed everything they were currently doing they were cheaper in full scope. There was a part that they didn’t make a lot of profit on even though we were cheaper. My new boss looked at me and said we will get rid of your employees (insert my old companies name) won’t care. You don’t mean anything to them at all it’s just the bottom line. Save yourself the frustration and take the package and go on a vacation. I'm about a month from being fired or laid off because I can't work for unethical people.

Showing 144 of 2,039 reviews