CBRE Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CBRE President & CEO Robert E. Sulentic
Robert E. Sulentic

Pros
Cons
  • Innovative methodologies on Work methodology derived to have a better Work & life balance (in 52 reviews)

• I don't think upper management has any clue what's going on with the employees (in 42 reviews)

"If you're part of a transition...take the package"

Current Employee - Manager in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at CBRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a big company that you may be able to take a transfer with....maybe

Cons

They are used car salesman and it's all smoke and mirrors. You sit in the introduction meetings and they flat out lie to you. The people they bring in tell you they have X amount of years in so you are in good hands. The truth is they were fresh a year or two ago from a different transition. Half the people weren't there at the company four months later. Quit or fired.

Advice to Management

I’ve been there 5 months now as part of a “transition”. You deal with the management layer you had before plus the new CBRE management. They sent one guy to manage a transition of 1200 acres and 45 buildings. There is no support staff so get ready to be by yourself to figure everything out. It’s insanity trying to do your job and figure out how to do it without knowing the new systems, contacts, or who support what. If you do have budget authority…good luck. There are 3 new systems to learn…4 if you have never worked with Maximo. Doing employee time…3 hours for 18 employees. They were really cool at first then they sent everything out to bid for the part of the work my employees didn’t generally perform. Then they looked at if they bid out everything and said it was cheaper for it to be contracted out. If my employees performed everything they were currently doing they were cheaper in full scope. There was a part that they didn’t make a lot of profit on even though we were cheaper. My new boss looked at me and said we will get rid of your employees (insert my old companies name) won’t care. You don’t mean anything to them at all it’s just the bottom line. Save yourself the frustration and take the package and go on a vacation. I'm about a month from being fired or laid off because I can't work for unethical people.

2. "Boys Club Without Equal Pay for Women"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CBRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'll have to try to think of some and get back to you.

Cons

-Unequal pay for women--men much younger than women are paid far more
    -Brokers are treated like gods while support staff are treated extremely poorly
    -Incredible wage inequality (millions for brokers versus peanuts for their support staff)
    -"RISE" (Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence) values are just for show. There is NO integrity.
    -Vacation is rarely allowed. People are seriously overworked.

Advice to Management

Actually practice integrity by supporting your employees. Pay them better and appreciate them. Support women and promote them. No one should have to fight for recognition; a job well done should be rewarded.

3. "Valuation and Advisory Service Division"

Current Employee - Project Manager in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in White Plains, NY

I have been working at CBRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have decent coffee and multiple flavors.

Cons

The office probably doesn't meet all building code and fire code requirements, the salary is extremely low with no growth opportunities. My manager takes credit for my work and pretty much does nothing all day. .

Advice to Management

Truly feel that this division will not succeed due to Senior Management not realizing which employees actually do their job.

"Analyst----- terrible company"

Current Employee - Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at CBRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro is the remote days and work hours. These are the only perks about the job everything else is awful!

Cons

No training or resources. Health Benefits are extremely expensive...pay is way below average for workload. They will pair you with someone and expect you to learn based off watching them. Everyone doesn't learn the same. They expect for you to figure it out yourself. Management has the worst attitude...very rude and disrespectful when talking to employees. CBRE expects you to creat your own job book detailing what you do but they never provide real training necessary.

Advice to Management

Train your new employees provide help and tools to make them successful. Listen to your employees.

"Office Professional"

Former Employee - Office Professional in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Office Professional in Houston, TX

I worked at CBRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good prescription coverage. Opportunity to learn more job sets. With high deductible insurance coverage which is what most can afford to have lower cost premiums, you get a tax credit. People who really need health insurance can take the lowest cost plan, not use it , save money by only using their prescription coverage and find that it's more affordable to pay cash at their doctor's office appointments for visits.

Cons

Medical coverage has a High deductible. It's more affordable to carry the lowest premium plan if you can afford it and pay cash without using your insurance at your Dr's visits.
    My experience was that once you are hired, you will be given much more than what you were hired to do with promise of opportunity. You might do an excellent job but management is only looking out for themselves and how good you make them look. After working at a site for several years and myself receiving excellent referrals from the client, our site lost it's contract. We were told after a couple of months we could look for other work and it was okay to say we had lost our contract by management and our site leader. Upon being offered another position elsewhere and accepting , CBRE refused to pay me my merit raise with retro pay before I left, which I had earned for work performance evaluated for the previous year. Also, when my new supervisor called to ask for assistance with documentation , he was told by my previous CBRE management that I had left and they had not lost their contract. They flat out lied to my new employer, because I had copies of company emails sent out by corporate which made CBRE really look ridiculous to my new employer since I had proof. Management with no financial skills are put in charge of site leadership and finances are completely out of control.If you are given tasks to do by upper management, even though you may get some support for work well done, you may not realize it, but my experience is that somebody other than you, usually someone in management will take the credit for it. I myself had ownership name taken off of important documents and changed to a managers name. I put in months and hours of work on work in sensitive presentations for training and had it presented as the presenter. Upon exiting my employment with the company and later having to follow up with CBRE to begin my new job, I found out by my ex previous supervisor that they had gone to coworkers and discussed me and asked them how to complete my exit documents and assist in new hire with my company instead of going to HR. Imagine having your supervisor discussing your personal HR questions with not other supervisors or HR, but with another company and coworkers. So many bad decisions and extremely bad choices made by poor leadership because people weren't hired by their knowledge or experience. When you put people in charge who don't know what they are doing there are going to be OSHA recordables( many that occurred but weren't reported by management) , issues with budget mainly poor spending by management, people working under management who are going to be put at risk because of poor management skills and a strain of many other issues. You have people who are put on jobs by the person who assigns the tasks in the system, and issues 100 tickets a month , putting two people to a ticket, making it look like there is work....to screw in one light bulb. THAT is fact. Their systems aren't audited or clearly not read over. The list goes on and on.........

Advice to Management

Realize the importance of how you treat people. Even if ex employees aren't there anymore it doesn't mean that there aren't others observing and noticing your less than ethical and professional manner.

7. "Changing for the worse"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at CBRE full-time

Pros

Salary good due to being downtown. All other pros gone

Cons

Culture changing in IT to more offshore consultancy based, cheaper is best no matter the quality.
    Certain consultancy has too strong a foot hold and edges out any employee who doesn;t like the poor quality of work.
    Flexible working taken away - CIO directive
    Moral at it's lowest
    Everyone worried for their jobs.
    Complaints to senior team or HR ignored and negative behavior (bullying and harrassment) encouraged to get things done quicker.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at IT - clearly a vision was sold to them without realizing the effect on the employees.

8. "Do not work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at CBRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, you are better off working anywhere else.

Cons

You have almost no chance in advancing your career, you will just be given more responsibilities with no pay or title increase.

Forget trying to transfer to another office, CBRE HR might call regarding a job you applied for, but they DO NOT take care of their own.

The pay sucks.

Most employees complain about others, almost no team unity.

Advice to Management

Give employees a reason to stay or at least want to work here.

"MCOE needs some attention"

Current Employee - Portfolio Services Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Portfolio Services Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at CBRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The ability to work from home is excellent; the medical benefits are pretty good also.

Cons

Favorites are played regarding promotions; Those who are in management roles now do not understand the work that the analysts do; There is not a sense of upper management looking out for their employees; the fear in the COE is that they are looking for ways to cut down on the headcount.

Advice to Management

Value your employees; Realize what they are giving of themselves to work for you; Value integrity and character in the employees as opposed to those you like. Look at everyone that has been promoted in the past 2 years to ensure they understand the importance of the job.

"Not a place to do software development"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at CBRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay above market rate. The benefits are not top-tier but they are notable. The company has existed in one form or another for about 100 years and they are not going away tomorrow. Their HR department is extremely efficient at on-boarding new employees and managing benefits with online tools.

Cons

I worked in a skunkworks software team that was supposed to be super innovative and introduce modern software engineering to the company. The manager was a financial type who didn't understand software development. Lots of authoritarian micro-management and stove-piping of information. Topping it off, the company allowed close family relatives to work in the same team.

Advice to Management

Buy a software startup and trust it to get the job done without having to do things "the CBRE way".

11. "no"

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at CBRE (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office in downtown Baltimore

Cons

White collar sweat shop. Very cliquey. Everyone works in teams. Some teams treat their coordinators great, include them in commissions, others don't. Totally unfair work environment. Came to CBRE thru an acquisition. Seniority made no difference. Had 21 years of service with the company that was acquired. Stayed with CB for another 2 years and was laid off. People don't matter. Would not recommend to anyone.

Showing 132 of 1,930 reviews