CBRE Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes tough (in 56 reviews)

• upper management only listen to manager level (in 45 reviews)

"Accounting & Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at CBRE full-time

Pros

The Employee Remote program is good

Cons

Upper management does not care about it's employees, they only care about their own financial gain. The Memphis COE has an abundance of Nepotism taking place. If you want to be promoted, good luck with that unless your one of upper managements favorites! Sadly they have managers and supervisors on teams who don't know what their doing, I've seen some come and ask line level employees for help, but again they were promoted because they are deemed as favorites. Awards are given once a year at their Employee Recognition program, mostly to management's favorites, they look pass those who may have worked there for years only to award new employees or the ones who know how to suck up to management. Meanwhile everyone else has to sit back and watch their favorites or the management's family members get promoted in your face, which they usually try and cover up by not announcing it, you only find out when you see their titles have changed in emails. Employee moral is not good, most employees stick it out because of the remote program that they offer. I've seen employees get written up because they didn't smile or say good morning when they passed by a manager in the hallway. It makes no sense to go to HR because they do nothing, and nothing is kept confidential. The HR representative is in another state, so she is not on site to see what's going on with employees, so she basically does whatever upper management says. Upper management is never in the office, there always traveling or on vacation, so they don't see the unfairness, and if they do, they close their eyes to it. Some employees have felt passed over for promotions due to their race or age which is disappointing. Most corporate companies allow their employees an opportunity to submit confidential surveys on their experience on the job, I never saw that at CBRE, they unfortunately don't care to know how we feel. I can guarantee you if they did, the results would be all about the management and how employees are treated. They talk a lot about RISE values when most of the high level managers don't demonstrate those values. Until corporate begins to seriously evaluate the MCOE management team, including Sr Level, nothing will ever change.

Advice to Management

Send out a confidential survey to the employees and ask how things are going, and when you get the results, don't brush it off, start listening and start caring about what your employees say, but most importantly start demonstrating what it means to have RISE values!

2. "Wish that they were really #1"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at CBRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work hard to be the best of the best.

Cons

Needs to pay employee's for hard work.
    Needs to recognize and reward employee's for continous hard work.

Advice to Management

Know the worth of your staff.

"Limited opportunities for non- real estate professionals."

Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Client Services Coordinator in El Paso, TX

I worked at CBRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has great benefits

Cons

Limited opportunities for non- real estate professionals. Management in the regional area lack vision for growth.

Advice to Management

Serious restructuring of the management positions. Managers treat administration employees like criminals.

"Global Information Technology Services - Digital & Technology"

Current Contractor - IT Professional in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - IT Professional in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CBRE as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace and ever changing... Great place for open source, and a learning ground for developers especially those from an India influence.

Cons

Ever since the new CTO took charge, Chandra.

High turnovers in staff, lack of solid IT upper management, managers threatening to replace staff, poor communication style, and low morale.

Employees openly unhappy and seeking other opportunities

Poor implementation of DevOps and Agile.

Advice to Management

Get leaders, real leaders that know how to lead.

5. "HR department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at CBRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people work hard and are very friendly at CBRE.

Cons

The HR department is not efficient. Senior Leadership are not HR people and do not focus on how to make the HR team the best.

Advice to Management

Put HR people in the HR Senior Leadership positions

6. "Senior Project Manager GPMO"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dallas, TX

I worked at CBRE as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay with good office space

Cons

Management team has no respect for contractors
    Directors are no skilled and expect senior PM to do junior analyst work

Advice to Management

GPMO directors lack knowledge/experience and respect for individuals

7. "Too little planning, too much chaos."

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Durham, NC

I worked at CBRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with: Fun, intelligent, hard-working and reasonable. Offered a competitive salary and moderate benefits. Many opportunities to develop your career to other areas.

Cons

Implementation of CBRE services at existing company was rushed and chaotic. Roles were poorly defined: I was hired as a technical lead for two major sites, but in calls not involving my line manager, this was expanded to six major sites and then all of North America (without offering any change to my salary).

Tasks that I was told early "this won't be your job" continued to fall under my purview and even expanded.

Nobody at CBRE went to bat with the client (my previous employer) to address services I could no longer provide, ergo I was stuck doing my current job, my former job, and a job I'd been promoted out of 4 years prior.

Week-long workshops to map processes are constantly disrupted by attendees taking unrelated conference calls, which means things have to be repeated and reworked. Key stakeholders with the client were mismanaged, not included early enough in the decisions, and then angry by the time they felt they were being handed solutions they did not understand.

Employees who all need the same information were not included in the right workshops - for example, a workshop for transitioning from client employment to CBRE invited me, but not my colleague in the same situation at the same level and in the same group - seemingly arbitrarily. Other workshops occupied entire days without requiring my involvement or input, which is poor planning.

8 months after my departure, a colleague with whom I worked very closely wrote to tell me, "Be glad you left. I keep hoping it will improve but it seems to be getting worse each day. Very toxic right now. It is a finger pointing fest. Most stressed I've ever been."

Advice to Management

Slow down, take time to plan better, be less aggressive with implementation. Define roles better and stick to the roles you assign. Rushed work is not quality work, and forcing people to meet impossible deadlines is what creates the blame game my colleague described.

8. "Never heard of work-life balance"

Former Employee - Global FPA - Senior Financial Systems Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CBRE (Less than a year)

Pros

they do get ALL the holidays - and allow some telecommuting

Cons

Everything else you can think of: The management, the hours, the lack of gratitude to their staff...

9. "Building Engineer"

Current Employee - Building Engineer in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Building Engineer in El Paso, TX

I have been working at CBRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Treats employee like an adult

Cons

Salary locked in by a budget

Advice to Management

more training for advancement

10. "Lafe balnce is great, carrer for young people?.... hmmm"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at CBRE (Less than a year)

Pros

Less work, less stress, easy day

Cons

Didn't feel like I learn anything...
    Boring job...
    I might like to work there in my 40-50 but I rather work somewhere else until then to get more experiences

Showing 214 of 2,032 reviews