CBRE Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends

1,868 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes tough (in 55 reviews)

• I don't think upper management has any clue what's going on with the employees (in 44 reviews)

1. "CB Richard Ellis - A Leader in Real Estate and A Leader In Employee Satisfaction"

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Tulsa, OK

Pros

The people here are great! There are many perks included that I did not know about when I was hired. Everyone gets along great with each other. There are some of the brokers here who make an unbelievable amount of money, yet you wouldn't know it by their attitude. They are friendly with everyone. Everyone cares about each other and strive to treat everyone as equals, right down to the receptionist. Our office manager is wonderful to work for. She is generous towards all of the staff. There have been many times she has bought lunch for us "just because." We can go to her with any problem and she takes the time to listen and help solve it, without being "bossy."

Cons

Marketing assistants have brokers assigned to a specific specialty. There is retail, industrial, office, multi-family and investment. Marketing assistants receive a bonus based on the gross commission of the transaction for our specific brokers. Our bonus is 1.2% of the gross commission. When you look at the gross commission being paid, and the amount of work you might have done on a specific transaction, that 1.2% isn't a lot. It would be great if the bonus could be on a sliding scale - i.e.: If the gross commission was $1 - $15,000 bonus is 1.2%, $15,001 - $30,000 bonus is 1.6%, and so on.

Advice to Management

In most cases, they are doing a great job. They listen to our comments and complaints and take appropriate actions. They seem to care about how we feel about our jobs.

"I love being at CB Richard Ellis"

Current Employee - Senior Research Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There are many good reasons to work at CB Richard Ellis: Name recognition, quality management, quality peers, passionate support staff, networking opportunities. However, I'd say that the best reason is the wealth of global opportunities within every avenue of commercial real estate.

Cons

It is an extremely large organization and, as with any Fortune 500 company, it can be easy to get lost in the shuffle. Other than that, most negatives are the same as you'd find at any large public company. Occasional disconnect between levels of management, extreme penny pinching, territorial competitions, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path you've been blazing. Our rapid growth will payoff in value creation when the markets begin to turn back. We are the preeminent real estate company in the world and it is due to strong leadership and a core of the best real estate professionals in the world.

"CB Richard Ellis- The Best Opportunity Commercial Real Estate can offer."

Former Employee - Research Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Research Coordinator in San Jose, CA

Pros

CB Richard Ellis is the largest commercial real estate company in the world. CBRE has over 300 offices, spread amongst 50 different countries. Due to its impressive size, CBRE has access to numerous resources that other real estate companies do not possess. There is a reason why CBRE is consistently ranked as the number one commercial real estate company in the world. However, at least in the office I have experience with, the main benefit of CBRE is the people of whom it is comprised. My office had an incredible amount of passionate and intelligent brokers- most of whom probably could have had leadership positions at another real estate company. The managing director was a great leader, and he took great pride in the fact that he had formed a superbly skilled and cohesive team of brokers. Every single one of them knows exactly what they are doing and how to make a great deal of money for the company. However, these brokers are not all about money. They care about each other and love to team up and offer information whenever it makes an associate's life easier. All of the non brokers in the office, from the office manager down to the receptionist are always treated with the utmost respect. At CBRE, if you want to advance, you simply have to put in the hours. CBRE has great training programs that prepare its young employees for the industry quite well. Thus, all each individual needs to do is try his or her hardest. If he or she is doing a good job, he or she will be rewarded. Another great thing was the office atmosphere. It was never boring or stuffy- all the employees are constantly engaging each other in friendly ways. Their always appeared to be a great deal of camaraderie in the office throughout the whole day. The senior leadership is great- if they need to lead, they will lead, otherwise they let their employees due what they are hired to do, which is always a relief. I have never worked in an office that had such high morale before. Most cubicle-styled offices resemble the movie "Office Space," where the employees are constantly bored and depressed. That was never the case at CBRE! Every person seemed generally happy to be there. Many of the employees are good friends outside of work and often meet up for lunch, drinks or dinner. In conclusion, CBRE is a great place to work- partially because of its vast resources, but mostly because of the high-quality of the average employee.

Cons

Sometimes the chain of command can be a little confusing. Its not that their is isn't great leadership, its just that it sometimes appears like their is unnecessary overlap of responsibilities amongst those with leadership positions. Thus, sometimes in-job communication can break down a little bit. An example would be if a team of researchers got a very similar assignment from two different brokers, they aren't always able to consolidate. Its usually not a problem, however. On occasion, interns are given assignments which have almost no practical value to the company. Also, interns are often relations of the senior brokers in the office, making it difficult for aspiring real estate brokers to get an internship. Other than that which is stated above, there really isn't anything major wrong with this company. They do a great job.

Advice to Management

I think Senior Management should have a look into the hiring of interns who are relations of senior members. Obviously, if they qualified it shouldn't matter, but often times their fathers just wanted them to have summer jobs. Unfortunately, this eliminates a vast amount of intelligent college grads who are itching to get involved with CBRE but are blocked by nepotism. I would also like senior management to know that they are running a great company.

4. "CB Richard Ellis is the world class leader of commercial real estate and a great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Strong senior leadership who are in tune with the economy and excellent communicators. There are great advantages to working with the best, brightest and by far the industry leader in commercial real estate. Brett White and Cal Frese are top knotch leaders who are responding well to the credit market crisis. There are tough decisions being made to protect the investors, employees and the leadership team has come across as "up-front" and "on-the-level" throughout the process.

Cons

The benefits are not as competetive as other major companies, especially in the fortune 500 arena. The healthcare benefits are expensive but have steadily improved over the last few years.

Advice to Management

In a down-market economy, it's all about keeping up with communication (which is being done well). An improvement to the overall benefit package would be appropriate. This does not necessarily equate to improving the salary structure but through flex-time, teleworker solutions, improved healthcare benefits.

5. "CB Richard Ellis is a strong & supportive company to work for"

Current Employee - Assistant Real Estate Manager in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Real Estate Manager in Menomonee Falls, WI

Pros

CB Richard Ellis not only allows me to take time off of work (and make it up afterwards) to attend school, I am able to be reimbursed for some of my classes. They respect and appreciate that I am trying to further myself wtih this career and advance with the company. I learn so much from senior management which I will be able to use to help me grow as not only an employee, but as a person as well.

Cons

Currently the only downside that I can see from working at CB Richard Ellis is something that everyone is experiencing with a great number or companies, which is all due to the state of our economy. I am thankful that I am able to keep my position with the company and maintain my current salary.

Advice to Management

Sometimes It'd be helpful if Senior Management would allow myself to do a bit more. There are times when I feel that I can help out more than I am being allowed.

6. "CBRE CARES"

Former Employee - Administrative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The HR team is awesome and very supportive of employees. They truly care about making sure you are never disrespected, harrassed or degraded in any manner.

Cons

For administrative personnel, not alot of opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Remove some of the producing Brokers who have a GOOD OL BOY mentality. They are toxic to CBRE and not a good representation of the internal culuture "RISE". They are definitly not a good representation of American culture, which is a melting pot. With CBRE pressing for global initiatives and having global presence, it's imperative to have front people who are open minded to ALL people.

7. "Interesting and Exciting place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Industry behemoth, has great resources and the ability to overpower other commercial real estate companies. fun workplace environment and team atmosphere

Cons

a lot of internal competition, for clients and various other things. pay is completely based on results, only relationships matter.

Advice to Management

Keep handling business the same way and try to take more market share during the recession while other competitors are weak.

"Satisfying, but a lot of politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Recognition of the CBRE brand on your resume, many opportunities for advancement, good corporate policies and philanthropic efforts, good business model (consistency throughout the organization)

Cons

Low salary in comparison to the overall market, lots of politics and nepotism, under-performers are not disciplined and stay at the firm for years

9. "Best place I have ever worked"

Current Employee - Operating Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Operating Engineer in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Great people, great pay, great benefits etc.

Cons

Sometimes it takes too long to get easy things done because of all the paperwork etc.

Advice to Management

Make things easier on the guys working for you

10. "Great program, learned a lot from upper-level management through intern discussion. Worked closely with a senior broker."

Former Employee - Brokerage Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Brokerage Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Great company culture and internship program

Cons

Very hierarchical but opportunities for growth

Showing 1,868 of 1,988 reviews