CBS Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CBS Corp President, CEO, and Director Les Moonves
Les Moonves

Pros
  • Met a lot of great people as a CBS Page, learned behind the scenes of what goes on in the TV world (in 4 reviews)

• Great company to work for, benefits is average (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for lateral or upwards move (in 5 reviews)

• There is no growth in this area of work (in 3 reviews)

"Most amazing working environment ever!"

Former Employee - EBS Solutions Architect/Lead Database Administrator Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CBS Corp (More than 10 years)

Pros

CBS is the most amazing company I have worked with in my IT career spanning three decades. Their broad spectrum of technologies keeps you, thankfully, on your toes all the time and the work ethos and environment at CBS is absolutely superlative, and superb - seriously !!!

Cons

No cons at CBS -- it's amazing!

Advice to Management

Please keep doing what you do!

2. "A lack of room for growth."

Current Employee - Page in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Page in New York, NY

I have been working at CBS Corp (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work around cool shows and sometimes meet interesting guest. If you're very resourceful, you may network into a cool opportunity outside of the network.

Cons

Access to opportunities are limited. It's hard to develop production skills and networking is limited. You really must force your way into the eyes of hiring managers.

"Corp IT Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at CBS Corp (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary is generous for what you're doing. Perks, culture club activities and community volunteering and outreach are nice programs. Usually you're done working at the end of the day. I never had to log in after hours to do anything. This can be taken as a positive for some but there really wasn't much work to do at all. The hardest part about the job is figuring out CBS' way of doing things and dealing with the politics.

Cons

I can second the couple other reviews about Corp IT and now know why I have seen this particular position posted for the past year.

The work is extremely nontechnical. They will portray the position as being innovative and working with modern technologies. But you are not. You're expected to keep legacy sixteen year old servers and services running.

They have a very old school office mindset. My coworkers have been sent home for wearing jeans or berated for leaving right at 5. I've been told multiple times not to wear jeans even though there is zero face to face interaction with customers and you sit behind a desk all day. They are very inflexible. Be at your desk at 9 leave after 5.

There is no organization and no team knows what another team is doing. My department was extremely disorganized. There weren't many policies and procedures in place for very basic administrative tasks.

The position you are in is very indecisive. You just do what you're told even if it's an incredibly bad idea. When you are told to do something it has to be done immediately and management will constantly ask about it until it's done. They micromanage and there is no trust in you at all.

Clear communication and being able to effectively describe expectations and results for a project are non-existent. Saying one thing one day and completely contradict that the other day is something that happens often. Leaving you to wonder what it is he wants done and just figure it out.

My manager was really argumentative, combative and didn't treat his employees with any respect whatsoever. He would constantly talk down on us like we're children and are unintelligent.

The majority of my time spent there was spent discovering and correcting work done from previous engineers. I wonder if this is a product of such high turnover or just how the business units are setup. No best practices have been used and everything is a mess. The network is very fragmented. There are a lot of band-aids and workarounds not actual long term solutions.

Advice to Management

Trust and respect your employees and don't micromanage. Get out of that old school office mindset. Communication skills are key. Remember this is IT. Focus on creating solutions not band-aids.

"CBS Corporation: Videotape Library"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CBS Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, decent salary, lots of overtime pay, employees/management for the most part are helpful and friendly. Company will help pay for a small portion of graduate school (tuition reimbursement), but must be in a related field of work. Most employees stay in this type of position for a very long time. All in all, job is for someone who is looking to stay in the same position for many years and have no plans on moving up the job/corporate ladder.

Cons

This job offers very little work on most days and can be very boring. Not a lot work goes on in my department. There is no growth in this area of work. Although CBS Corporation offers tuition reimbursement to their employees, they will not pay for my graduate school because the master's degree that I am going for is not related to the current job that I am in. The location of this job is not in a great area of the building, because most staff, managers and executives offices are on the higher floors.

Advice to Management

Management needs to give employees more work and less watching television all day long. Also giving employees more incentives, goals and raises can help employees enjoy their job. If their is a facility issue, they tend not to fix it right away due to where the department is situated.

6. "Financial Assistant"

Former Employee - Financial Reporting Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Reporting Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at CBS Corp (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent people to work with, good work ethics and teamwork attitude.

Cons

Absolutely no room for growth. HR department is cold, distant, and the worst to deal with in my working life and career.

Advice to Management

Allow internal career growth. There would be more loyalty and high morale.

"Great company except Corp IT"

Former Employee - Corporate IT in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate IT in New York, NY

I worked at CBS Corp (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun work environment, in some office you have CBS channels running all day.

Cons

The corporate IT department is the one of most dysfunctional places I've worked at. Immature processes, cost cutting all the time, and some very bad managers. Also, corp IT is not a strategic partner of the business, but rather considered more like a helpdesk organization, to change toners and keep old legacy systems running. New apps are cobbled together because there is no time to build something right, and a few years later these things become unsupportable. All the cool IT work happens with the engineering teams outside of corp.

Advice to Management

Try to think strategically. Spend money planning 5 years ahead, not just looking at immediate cost.

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

One of the premiere networks and television studios in all of Hollywood

Cons

Very bureaucratic environment. Takes long time for decisions to be made. The environment does not foster growth or entrepreneurial ideas.

Advice to Management

Evaluate talent based upon the quality of work done, not who you believe you will get along with or not.

9. "CBS Radio"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at CBS Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom at workplace to grow business. Ability to make money if you do the work. Colleagues are helpful

Cons

Not enough direction for managers. Managers tend to reward people who have ties to managers... family members.

Advice to Management

Level the playing field in the office. Reward the up and comers because they are your future.

10. "Good but could be better"

Current Employee - Tax Processor in Irvington, NJ
    Current Employee - Tax Processor in Irvington, NJ

I have been working at CBS Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good opportunity for work experience. Friendly co workers, benefits, few perks.

Cons

Poor communication. Pay is fair but not too competitive.

"IT seems to be different from the rest of the company. IT has high turnover for a reason. Managers need more training."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at CBS Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great brand name, great colleagues. Compensation - market salary and good benefits.

Cons

Management styles range from ignoring staff to berating them. Managers need to be trained. CBS may open other doors in other companies, but internally there seems to be little advancement.

Advice to Management

Training and skill development should be offered, not criticism.