CBS Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
CBS Corp President, CEO, and Director Les Moonves
Les Moonves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Met a lot of great people as a CBS Page, learned behind the scenes of what goes on in the TV world (in 4 reviews)

• Great company to work for, benefits is average (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There really is no room for growth in the company (in 6 reviews)

• I also saw a reluctance to promote from within, to give advancement opportunities to entry level employees, and to give raises (in 3 reviews)

"Now I Know Why CBS Chose a Black Eye For Its Logo"

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at CBS Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for a well known brand, very solid benefits

Cons

Terrible and incompetent senior management, who think bullying is a form of leadership, old systems, bureaucratic processes, too big to be nimble from a tech standpoint.

Advice to Management

I thought I was the luckiest person to work at CBS. I moved to a much smaller company in comparison that is light years ahead of CBS in technology, skilled people and innovation. Had I known this, I would have left CBS sooner. If you really want change (like you say you do) get rid of your senior management and change the corporate culture from the top down.

"READ B4 CONSIDERING TO CONSULTING FOR CBS CORP IT"

Former Contractor - Technical Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Technical Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at CBS Corp as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Cool Christmas party. Surprised you invited the consultants. However, you did invite us an hour before the party started. Surprised we were offered food there once employees found out we were consultants at the party.

Cons

- no sick days, even if you get hit by a car in front of their office (oh and they won't care AT ALL that you did get hit!!! my ex-boss literally did not care 1 bit. All he said was "no paid sick days. as a contractor, if you don't work you don't get paid. No "how are you doing ?" When he found out. Nothing. meanwhile, you're at risk of getting hit by a car is significant! You will be crossing in the middle of the street (from the north to south side of 57th between 10th and 11th avenues and back to get to the broadcast center and back to 555 ) risking your life daily. But you're a contractor, so no one cares if you do. Why? Again, because you're just a CONTRACTOR. You are nothing to them.
    - you're stuffed with 3 other people either in the "hotel room" which is the size of a 1 person small office or stuffed with 15 others in the "sweat shop" which is a small, dusty, no windowed room with a ton of lop-sided tables and wires dragged all over the floors (another accident waiting to happen). Get used to hearing the person RIGHT next to you chew their food and hum ALL. DAY. LONG. Oh, and sitting on stained, 30 year old, very uncomfortable chairs.
    - you're lucky if you get a desk phone. I had to use my cell phone the 6 months I worked here or use the guy's next to me, and trust me he did not like that!
    - no paid over time. get used to working for free!
    - SO POLITICAL. Get ready to get yelled at if you email or call someone "above you, " (because there consultants are the lowest forms of being) even if your boss told you TO CONTACT that person, he will yell at you after you do.
    - once people find out you're a consultant, you no longer exist or mean anything to them. A fellow consultant of mine once was talking to an employee who extended his hand out to shake her's and introduce himself but once she said she was a consultant, he took back his hand!
    - november thanksgiving lunch. my ex-boss told me and the other consultants to get on the food line. The EA yelled at all of us to get off ! "You cant eat the food, it's for employees only!" It was horrifying!
    - 99% women are either BA's or EA's. It is very hard for females to be seen as anything more by this male-dominated office. If you want to move from consultant to employee and are female, good luck! you'd have to take a 60K haircut in salary offer and to be treated like you're dumb and deserving of some entry-level, right out of college position when you're currently making well over 100K and getting thrown a ton of work because you're one of the few people that actually gets what's going on !

Advice to Management

- stop treating consultants like they're worthless.
    - stop the insane politics
    - start keeping track of data and wasting money on unnecessary vendors
    - stop doing things backwards
    - give women more and better opportunities out of BA and EA positions
    - get rid of people that don't know what they're doing

"Corp IT Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, CA

I worked at CBS Corp (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary is generous for what you're doing. Perks, culture club activities and community volunteering and outreach are nice programs. Usually you're done working at the end of the day. I never had to log in after hours to do anything. This can be taken as a positive for some but there really wasn't much work to do at all. The hardest part about the job is figuring out CBS' way of doing things and dealing with the politics.

Cons

I can second the couple other reviews about Corp IT and now know why I have seen this particular position posted for the past year.

The work is extremely nontechnical. They will portray the position as being innovative and working with modern technologies. But you are not. You're expected to keep legacy sixteen year old servers and services running.

They have a very old school office mindset. My coworkers have been sent home for wearing jeans or berated for leaving right at 5. I've been told multiple times not to wear jeans even though there is zero face to face interaction with customers and you sit behind a desk all day. They are very inflexible. Be at your desk at 9 leave after 5.

There is no organization and no team knows what another team is doing. My department was extremely disorganized. There weren't many policies and procedures in place for very basic administrative tasks.

The position you are in is very indecisive. You just do what you're told even if it's an incredibly bad idea. When you are told to do something it has to be done immediately and management will constantly ask about it until it's done. They micromanage and there is no trust in you at all.

Clear communication and being able to effectively describe expectations and results for a project are non-existent. Saying one thing one day and completely contradict that the other day is something that happens often. Leaving you to wonder what it is he wants done and just figure it out.

My manager was really argumentative, combative and didn't treat his employees with any respect whatsoever. He would constantly talk down on us like we're children and are unintelligent.

The majority of my time spent there was spent discovering and correcting work done from previous engineers. I wonder if this is a product of such high turnover or just how the business units are setup. No best practices have been used and everything is a mess. The network is very fragmented. There are a lot of band-aids and workarounds not actual long term solutions.

Advice to Management

Trust and respect your employees and don't micromanage. Get out of that old school office mindset. Communication skills are key. Remember this is IT. Focus on creating solutions not band-aids.

"What a mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Coworkers are fun
    Corporate benefits (medical, dental)

Cons

Bad office culture- frown upon taking full lunch break, sick days, etc.
    Management is in shambles. There is no real leader and the acting leader doesn't care about employee happiness
    No communication or desire to improve morale
    No room for lateral or upwards move

Advice to Management

Management courses and training are desperately needed here. Allow for lunch breaks and morale boosting activities. This is currently a miserable place to work.

5. "Intern"

Pros

I was an intern in the Tax department for 2 years. Managers were extremely helpful and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

VP's were extremely arrogant, and the good luck ever seeing the head of the department, he is never around.

Advice to Management

Management should be around more often to see what is really going on in the department.

"Tax"

Former Employee - Tax in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tax in New York, NY

I worked at CBS Corp part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good start to intern for, Corporate environment. good training I really like the fact that I got to be exposed to tax

Cons

The competitive atmosphere. They say they have open door policy that they really dont. Lots of politics involve will not work here average tax salary

"Disappointed"

Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Southfield, MI

I have been working at CBS Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The compensation here was overall nice

Cons

When I accepted the position I was really looking forward to working with the company on the national team. Upon accepting the position I was told that I was going to NY the headquarters to be trained. Once I began the position almost a 2 weeks went by where they didn't have my computer set-up. The Account Executive I worked for had no clue what to do with me nor did she had an understanding of my position and she was the one who hired me!!!!!!!

I received one week of training and it was not in depth at all I had to learn everything on my own which made it difficult to adjust. The Digital Account Executive I worked with was absolutely horrible to work with. She would tell me something was due on wed really it was mon. She never responded to emails, she would give me a really short amount of time to complete assignments. Her communication was absolutely horrible. I was not the only person that felt that she was horrible to work!!!.

Advice to Management

MANAGE!!!!!!!

8. "Consulting"

Former Contractor - Senior Architect in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Architect in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CBS Corp as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of things to fix IT wise

Cons

The management team is very immature, and unwilling to work on fixing deferred maintenance IT assets

Advice to Management

Better allocate realistic IT budget to meet projects

9. "Poor management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

Pros

It is a recognized name in the industry. It is a large company.

Cons

No information sharing. Job bore no resemblance to advertised description.

"CBS"

Former Employee - Sectional Sales Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sectional Sales Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

The healthcare package is good.

Cons

Management does not take suggestions from lower staff on ways to improve efficiency.
    There really is no room for growth in the company. Many people stay in their positions for many years and there are not alot of openings.

Advice to Management

Development younger staff so that they have more desire to stay with the company.