CBS Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 29, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CBS Interactive Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Jim Lanzone
Jim Lanzone

Pros
  • Depending on your role, the work/life balance was pretty good (in 31 reviews)

• Work Environment and Decent Perks (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately like most places now a days, the biggest con is the upper management (in 20 reviews)

• Senior management doesn't seem to care for the vision of the product (in 15 reviews)

"Good company but culture needs work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at CBS Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- beautiful building with great views of the mountains
    - complimentary drinks and snacks
    - open environment
    - food trucks directly downstairs
    - private building gym (additional fee)
    - competitive salary and benefits
    - good work/life balance

Cons

- culture needs work, very cliquish and high school
    - not everyone are friendly
    - managers set bad examples of being on their cell phones, excessive chatting, doing personal tasks on company time, facebooking
    - lack of communication between teams/dept leading to wasted time and delays
    - only offers inflation raises
    - contract employees are often excluded in events creating a divide between staff and contractors
    - not a lot of room for growth

Advice to Management

Be more aware of the behaviors of managers in departments. Offer more team building opportunities to help create a less cliquish environment.

Feb 9, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

Thanks for your post! I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t have the best experience working with managers and teams in the office. We recognize that having a supportive & qualified manager is ... More

"Awesome co-workers but stagnant management process"

Former Employee - Scrum Master in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Scrum Master in Burbank, CA

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the most passionate people here. Many members of different teams really shared the idea of success of the company so that was a nice change of pace from other places. Many company events to encourage people to have a life outside of work. Depending on your role, the work/life balance was pretty good. There were some crazy times throughout the year due to big name shows on CBS but everyone came together to make sure it was a success.

Cons

Unfortunately like most places now a days, the biggest con is the upper management. Heavily entrenched and are never held responsible for mistakes or holes in their products. All the blame would often be placed on specific individuals or teams (like project management or design). The interactive department is headed by someone who is just looking at the bottom line and not the process it takes to launch a product. Bullying is often used to get projects completed. Designers could spend days working on something but to have it all scrapped because a VP didn't like a button design. This would cause a ripple effect across teams and ultimately impact the launch date. But guess what, the launch date would not change and the whole team would have to tip toe around changes to protect their own job.

Advice to Management

If you want to instill an Agile process, properly communicate it and follow through with it. Do not train the entire department on how Agile works and then not use it but also hold people responsible for not applying it. Stop pointing the finger when it's convenient and look at the actual feedback from your employees. Allowing project managers and developers to play favoritism negatively affects all your products. Hold your product management team responsible for the lack of requirements.

3. "CBS Interactive worked 10 years with the company"

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time

Pros

Huge company, offers advancement opportunities.....good people to work with, fun filled community of co-workers.

Cons

Downsizing, lost job due to outsourcing.......pay scale not competitive (job offers more perks to compensate for below medium salaries and pay raises)'

5. "Digital Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at CBS Interactive full-time

Pros

Great to be in a big named company. Gives you exposure to various accounts and agencies. Certain management could be very helpful.

Cons

The pay is not great and there is no bonus or raise structure. There is a disconnect between internal teams. Higher management is not connected with all teams.

Advice to Management

Be more connected with all teams and help with a promotion structure. Don't be so quick to blame other departments

Jan 5, 2017 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

Thanks so much for your review. Although not all employees are eligible for the internal bonus program, there is an established bonus structure within CBSi where employees are eligible based on role ... More

6. "Needs improvement"

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were awesome. Going to work never felt like you were going to work.

Cons

Horribly low pay for the industry. Upper management usually had no clue what was going on in the various divisions and made decisions that affected a lot of people without knowing the work that was being done.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees market value.

Dec 7, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

Thanks for the feedback regarding industry pay. We value all of our employees (because, as your mentioned, they are awesome!), and want to make sure that we are fairly compensating. The HR team does ... More

7. "Good people, not meeting potential"

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, great team members

Cons

Inconsistent messaging from top management, declining morale

Advice to Management

Lose the corporate buzzwords, stop chasing shiny objects, think beyond quarterly results and stick with something.

Dec 7, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

Thanks for the feedback, open communication is one of our priorities. As we grow and continue to expand our brands across different media outlets, we are always looking for ways to improve messaging ... More

8. "[Burbank Office] Good People, Slow Growing / Change"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Burbank, CA

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The building is nice and the creative people I worked around were hilarious and fun.
    Stellar work / life balance.
    Managers and HR were extremely nice when letting me go. They gave me an amazing severance pay that I didn't expect.
    Paid for high-quality Scrum training for all employees in order to shift the company into an Agile Development culture.

Cons

The company is growing at a snail's pace.
    The business is more interested in making money than making a product that people love.
    No product vision, culture or core values of any kind.
    Senior management doesn't seem to care for the vision of the product.
    Seems like the company is rushing into a new entertainment paradigm with little thought into a high-quality product; spread across too many platforms too quickly.
    Being under the umbrella of the parent CBS Corporation makes it easy for people to have excuses for lack of change.
    Their product roadmap is planned out way too far in advance and not interested in changing it.

Advice to Management

Please consider a user-centered design culture that builds a product roadmap based on continuous user feedback of the product and user priorities, not the priorities of the umbrella CBS company. I am very grateful for the amicable departure I had with the company. Thank you.

Dec 7, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

Thanks for the review. It is great to hear that while working with us you were able to partner with creative and great people and take advantage of some of the learning and training opportunities. I ... More

"Toxic environment"

I worked at CBS Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn about the online advertising industry and explore the different types of roles available in the space (Sales, Product Marketing, Programmatic, Product Management, HR, Accounting, Vendors, Billing, etc).

Cons

Very much like a high school environment, if you're in the "in" crowd then you can get promoted faster. It's not promotions based on merit. It is an incredibly cliquey office that lacks the culture of helping each other out. The office also allows unprofessional behaviors of employees, such as yelling at other department employees, both in emails and in person.

Advice to Management

Treat your good employees better, and fire the ones that stir up controversy and drama in the office. Also stop covering up the mistakes made by the same employees.

Dec 7, 2016 – Senior Manager, Talent Operations

Thank you for the feedback. It is great to hear that you were able to explore different roles while you were here. As a company with 30+ different brands and divisions, we are proud of the fact that ... More

10. "Ok company to work for but..."

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant/Office Manager in New York, NY

I worked at CBS Interactive (More than a year)

Pros

Down to earth and approachable management. Very collaborative environment when it comes to being in a designated team.

Cons

Lots of employee churn. Are not very good at getting to know their employees and having events where the employees can get to know their fellow co-workers

Advice to Management

Have more events where employees can get to know their fellow co-workers both in and outside of the workplace

11. "Eh"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at CBS Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The general feel is 9-5... punch-in, punch-out, good if you're into that
    -Pretty relaxed atmosphere and some freebies but not like a lot of start-ups/tech companies in SF
    -Most of the security staff is nice... most

Cons

-Politics
    -Behind on innovation... way behind
    -Scared to try new things and provide resources in the right direction
    -Some managers are just bad
    -The culture is old, and in many ways, lacks heart
    -Politics

Advice to Management

Hopefully, a layoff here or there is providing for some cool upgrades on their next vacay