CBS Radio Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
CBS Radio President and CEO Dan Mason
Dan Mason

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great people and support staff around you (in 24 reviews)

• Lots of benefits, fun work environment, great sense of family (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a lot of room for growth within this specific company since the current team has been employed there for quite some time (in 13 reviews)

• Low pay but even so, extremely competitive (in 22 reviews)

1. "promotions assistant"

I worked at CBS Radio part-time

Pros

great experience with small-scale and large-scale promotional events.

Cons

extremely disorganized leadership and lack of internal communication. very rare opportunities to move up in the company, they would rather hire someone from outside the company than promote internally.

Advice to Management

take advantage of your dedicated part time employees and give them an opportunity to grow within the company. also streamline communication and seriously restructure the internal organization.

2. "Promotions Assistant"

Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in Culver City, CA

I worked at CBS Radio (More than a year)

Pros

good people, fun environment, easy work.

Cons

extremely unreliable hours. Absolutely no opportunity for growth. Little to no communication between assistants and their higher ups.

Advice to Management

Keep your assistants in the loop! Also hire less people and give them more hours. Since there is nearly no opportunity for growth, an annual raise would be much appreciated to keep good employees.

"AE"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CBS Radio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast Paced Environment that is exciting and allows you to wear many hats and exercise a lot of skill sets. Freedom of schedule as long as you are respectful. There are some great people that work in Chicago. Culinary Kitchen is amazing as is BCBS Studios. Free concerts and Cubs games! Amazing benefit structure.

Cons

Radio is one of the hardest things to sell. It's apparently always been that way--except it used to be that if you busted your butt and worked hard there was a ton of money to be made. Well, the glory days of radio are definitely dead--and there's money to be made but it's REALLY tough out there. An AE at CBS in Chicago is 100% commission. They give you a guarantee for a year to build a book, but without house accounts given its pretty much a moot point. No adult can survive on that, no matter how savvy a sales person they are.

It feels a little like a sinking ship with upper management desperately making random changes to try to increase sales and getting little to no new results and middle management attempting to support sales staff but so far removed from the issues that we get little more than an apologetic shrug. I get it--but changing to change is not what we need right now. Moral is some of the worst that I have ever witnessed ever. The sales pit is a venomous stink hole of conspiracy and complaints. It's tough to focus when there are so many changes constantly happening and so many unhappy people surrounding you.

As an AE you are expected to do pretty much EVERYTHING. Business development, Account Management, Copy Writing, Relationship building, Bill Collection---THE WORKS. Have you ever tried to sell something new after hounding that very person for payment only weeks previous? Yeah. Not gonna happen. ZERO value placed on all this work either--and then they are floored when the attrition rate for the cluster is abysmal.

On top of all this, we are in the middle of a merger with Entercom. There's definitely hope that things will get better with the new company and new direction--they certainly can't get any worse.

Advice to Management

1. WFH: That will alleviate the opportunity to gossip and spread negativity and will be much better for CC.

2. Stop making changes until after the merger. That's a big enough change for the next 2 years.

3. Allow your employees to choose base+commission or stay on 100% commission. Sr. Reps already making 6 figures will opt out, but those whales are also not going to be in this business forever. That business model is antiquated and not doing you any favors if you want young hustlers bringing in new deals.

4. Spend a little money on infrastructure. No Wi-Fi? Really CBS? Really? The cubes you have us in are straight out of Office Space. It's depressing. You are technically in the music industry! You need to up your cool factor to attract the type of talent you want and keep them.

5. Focus your talent and requirements--even just a bit! Do not make your sales reps do Collection! At least give us that.

6. It's not the 90's. Let it go and adjust expectations. We can still be successful and take a solid portion of the pie. I think the problems are all fixable.

4. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at CBS Radio (More than a year)

Pros

Fun Environment, Cool Perks, A-list Celebrities in Office frequently

Cons

Turnover Rate, Poorly Run, Little Support

Advice to Management

Look out for younger sellers, protect and breed, they are the future.

"Being Part-Time"

I have been working at CBS Radio part-time

Pros

Interesting experiences and meet new people

Cons

They do not care if you are part-time. It does not feel like you are a part of the team, but when they need you last minute, the guilt you into coming in. For a communications company, they cannot communicate. Most of CBS Radio is run by the part-timers.

Advice to Management

Treat your part-timers like they are a part of the team. Do not see us as replaceable. Many of us love the group, but treat us right and say hello to us once in a while.

"Depends on the market. As for CBS Radio Atlanta..."

Former Employee - Producer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Producer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CBS Radio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are vested from day one. The company matches your 401k investment up to 6%, I think it was (maybe more). Lots of great people on staff.

Cons

Zero autonomy or appreciation for new ideas. Extreme micromanagement creates a culture of fear and distrust. Pay not commensurate to the market, for many positions. Many positions that could easily be justified with a full time salary are limited to part time, hourly positions.

Advice to Management

Give talented, qualified people the opportunity to be great and do great things to propel the organization to the "next level".

7. "VP Marketing"

I worked at CBS Radio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment with good people

Cons

Upper management team didn't seem to have interest in individual growth

8. "Not worth it"

Pros

Fun work environment and employees

Cons

A lot of work for minimum wage

9. "Fun but not worth it in the long run"

I worked at CBS Radio full-time

Pros

Fun job bc perks are great (events, concerts, etc) and it's a great company name to have on your resume

Cons

Management management management management management

Advice to Management

stop playing favorites

10. "Promotion Assistant"

I worked at CBS Radio part-time

Pros

Good entry level position to get your foot in the door. Access to cool events

Cons

Not granted same opportunities as co-workers. Work harder than peers while watching them advance faster.

Advice to Management

Equal opportunity