CBSbutler Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
David Leyshon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work, would recommend"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

+ Consultant commission accelerators up to the 30% on permanent
    + Supportive environment at all levels
    + Recognise not just results but the hard work that goes into it, results can take time
    + Behaviour structures get rid of your stereotype backstabbing sales person

Cons

+ Location can make it interesting in the ice
    + Company could be even stronger if everyone combined efforts

Advice to Management

Incredibly strong client base to now launch off into new ventures to £100M turnover, exciting times ahead. Good luck!

Mar 22, 2017 – Operations Director

Thank you for the feedback. On behalf of CBSbutler may we wish you every success for the future.

2. "Definitely Recommend"

Former Employee - Senior Resourcer in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

+ Great people
    + Good bonus incentives for resourcers, unlike most recruitment consultancies you have the opportunity to win the same as consultants
    + If you're looking for a work life balance CBS is the place to be!
    + Genuine supportive managers
    + 30p crisps and 40p chocolate bars in the vending machine - bargain
    + Decent salaries
    + Amazing support staff
    + Radio is played through speakers throughout the day
    + Free parking and tranquil surroundings

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time at CBSbuter and would definitely recommend to anyone looking to kick start their career in recruitment or to continue it!

Cons

+ Resourcers commission could be better - most resourcers manage/develop accounts and deal with clients as well as 'just fill vacancies'
    + The gym could do with a good clean or potentially made into a games room

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Crap basic, crap commission structure"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Nutfield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Nutfield, England (UK)

I have been working at CBSbutler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Parking and onsite gym, compulsory nights out, and your get to see how not to do thinks and how not to treat people.

Cons

Sold the role on a pack of lies, told they did £50m last year, which is rubbish, sold on good commission again which it isn't, rather than wanting you to make great money they just want you to bust a gut and they will do everything they can to keep your hard earned commission.

Advice to Management

Change the commission structure you are screwing us over! The more money we take Home the harder we would work, none of this having to fight and jump through hoops to get what we worked hard for, and stop watching us filling jobs then having to see what mood your in to if we even get the commission.

The commission structure is not competitive like it seems on paper as you hold back chunks of it.

Mar 13, 2017 – Operations Director

We remain proud of creating a multi-award winning organisation built on people with good values and ethics. However, on this occasion I'm afraid these are the words of an unethical individual who... More

"Best Company I have ever had the pleasure of working for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at CBSbutler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CBSbutler is the best company I have ever worked for. David Leyshon (MD) personally greets every employee in the morning, I have never known an MD to do that in any of the companies I have previously worked for. Both David Leyshon and David Kennedy (FD) are 2 of the most genuine and caring men I have had the pleasure to meet. They are both extremely charitable and take part in several charity events as well as making several charity donations both personally and as a company.
    There is a very friendly atmosphere within the office a great camaraderie between staff. There are regular social events to take part in for those wanting to attend.
    Great salaries, Healthcover and Quarterly Bonus scheme.

Cons

There is always room for improvement in any company but I can honestly not find any fault personally.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, it's greatly appreciated by many.

Nov 28, 2016 – Operations Director

Thanks for the appreciative words.
    However, we genuinely value your suggestions on improvement and maybe you could add these to the year end staff survey if not appropriate here.

"Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CBSbutler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A real opportunity to earn high commission.

Good teamwork and working environment

Excellent Back Office Support.

Some great social nights out.

I am surprised at some of the negative reviews but this is a result focused industry and there will always be some fallout. New employees are given plenty of support and training to get them up to speed and more established employees have plenty of access to "on the job" training.

Top management is incredibly supportive both professionally and personally and very flexible in times of need.

It is true that there has been plenty of talk about the share options over the last few years but I can see the momentum is now building and I am very much looking forward to next year to see what happens.

Cons

The offices are in a semi rural location and well maintained but you do need to be a car owner/driver to get here.

Advice to Management

Keep us all informed of your plans for next year
    The introduction of the new simpler commission scheme is a real positive

Nov 28, 2016 – Operations Director

Thank you for the helpful comments.
    I'm pleased that the amended commission scheme has been well received - in trying to reward not only billings but positive behaviours, (e.g. teamwork, up... More

"CBSbutler is a great organisation to work for!"

Current Employee - Business Support Manager in Redhill, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at CBSbutler full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

CBSbutler make significant investment in staff development, with internal and external training programmes and career promotion with a strong management team to help you achieve your goals.

There is a fantastic appraisal/bonus system that is designed to promote positive behaviour as well as challenge and grow your abilities. If you work hard, you are rewarded!!

There are regular social events such as meals, ‘race days’ and an annual bonfire night fireworks display.

Starting in a junior role and now managing my own team, I have experienced first-hand the promotions, training, mentoring, and college based learning courses that CBSbutler can offer.
    Personally, I have been made to feel I am a valued and an important member of the CBSbutler team.

+ Great salary and bonus scheme
    + Regular social events
    + Friendly environment
    + Tremendous back office support team
    + Lovely grounds, offices and facilities

Cons

- Car owner essential, unless you’re happy to have a 15 min walk in the countryside from the local train station every day.

Nov 28, 2016 – Operations Director

Thank you for the positive review. Whilst we are only c.1 mile from Redhill mainline station, public transport can be an issue although we have car parking for everyone on site. However, we do have... More

"Being at CBS - It got me to where i wanted to be?!"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Redhill, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Redhill, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at CBSbutler full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- If you are good enough you are rewarded, like any sales enviornment - as someone that came in as a senior consultant and moved through the ranks, I was promoted upto Team Leader, Divisional Manager and then Business Manager within 5 years, so it certainly worked for me!
    - strong salaries at consultant level
    - 25 year database to take advantage of
    - strong clients to leverage low hanging fruit
    - award history that is a useful sales tool
    - good company car options
    - brand is seen as being bigger than actually is by the industry and clients
    - good site amenities
    - opportunity for a strong sales person that knows their market to dominate this sales floor
    - opportunity for an experienced, charismatic manager to shine too.
    - i managed to build a career here and earn a lot of money in the process, as have others, no it isn't perfect, but not too many sales companies are?
    - can achieve share scheme options with average performance
    - decent extras like strong pension, childcare vouchers, private family healthcare etc
    - all the needed infrastructure and back office support
    - decent enough incentives
    - some very high billers indeed with a lot of industry experience

Cons

- location is an issue to grow teams
    - commission structure, not the pontential %'s but the make up and delivery of the structure, means it isn't overley competivie day 1 vs the majority of the competion and can be an issue in both attracting and retaining staff
    - internal politics can be complex
    - sales floor as a whole lacks the needed gusto
    - lack of appetite for real growth, hence my own desires to have wanted to move on.
    - does at times lack a consistent, clearly delivered vision for each area of the sales business, as it clearly can't be a one size fits all approach - if each area is to succeed fully
    - Sadly there is an element of truth in some of the more negative reviews

Advice to Management

* Try and create a more two way environment where by, people can give honest and constructive feedback at face value
    * more work could be done to try and uncover real motivators at all levels of the business, not the motivators being decided on from above, as to what they should be and then directed at everyone.
    * a stronger, more cohesive, but also more natural sales leadership team, would get a more engaged sales force, which would lead to a much stronger sales culture.
    * After a whirlwind ride, I personally wish everyone at CBSbutler all the best for the future, from someone, even now, whom still cares.
    * Good luck to all of those that remain :)

Nov 2, 2016 – Operations Director

At CBSbutler we believe it is all about setting an example in terms of positive behaviours together with professionalism, integrity and ethics. Moreover, promoting open and honest two-way... More

"The truth"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Redhill, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at CBSbutler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Working environment - The people
    + Social side
    + People leaving/fired so they don't have to work there anymore

Cons

+ Commission structure - out of date - they hold back 40% of your commissions for a quarterly bonus which is done a rating scale between 1 and 3. So your not even guaranteed your commission that you have earnt.
    + Poor Management - only there because they lick ... and given accounts, they have no management skills and can't run a team
    + No internal training for new consultants - Set up to fail
    + Get treated like kids - man managed and taken for a fool
    + If it wasn't for one account then CBS would be in dire straights

Advice to Management

+ Get new management
    + Change the commission structure

Nov 25, 2016 – Operations Director

The ironic thing about this review is that they feel compelled to title it, 'The truth', when it is full of unjust and misleading attacks. So it is pretty obvious to all and sundry that this is part... More

"An extremely frustrating place to work. Stems from the very top!"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at CBSbutler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some good billers with sector expertise and there is the basis of a good business underneath all of the negatives. But all problems stem from the top.
    Some genuinely nice people within sales support. They deserve a great deal better and a lot more respect. As do the sales people. Most money generated from a select few who seem very frustrated with things but cannot afford to leave.

Cons

Owner of the business has little enthusiasm towards growth and isn't ambitious or entrepreneurial. Instead chooses to focus on all negatives of the business and the people within it. Never talks about positives and has no
    ability to compliment or praise hard work and good results.

Poor incentives and commission schemes which means you are having to battle your manager for your sales commission at the end of the quarter.

Severe style of management from owner which is very controlling. Poor communication from the top and little respect paid to sales consultants who work
    hard. All makes for an unhealthy culture and senior people seem really unhappy.

Many good managers who could relate to people, drive business growth and support people have been in place before only to have left due to the business not looking after them which has damaged the morale of consultants when I was there.

Real shame really. Will never change.

Advice to Management

People who know how to run a business need to be retained. Owner needs to step aside. No buy-in from anybody within the business which is sad.

Nov 4, 2016 – Operations Director

Regrettably there is a group of former staff known who have embarked on a coordinated smear campaign to undermine the business and bring the company’s operations and good name into disrepute. We... More

"Would highly recommend!!"

Former Employee - Senior Resourcer in Redhill, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Resourcer in Redhill, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at CBSbutler (More than a year)

Pros

Would highly recommend CBSbutler to anyone who is a newbie to recruitment as well as experienced recruitment specialist wanting to progress!

My time at CBSbutler have been both educational and enjoyable. I started with CBSbutler as a Resourcer back in November 2014, and have worked my way up to Senior Resourcer with the help and encouragement of my team, my manager and the company as a whole. Everyone here at CBSbutler is very welcoming and helpful - always willing to help achieve your potential, and so I am very sad to leave a company who look after their staff so well.

It was a pleasure to work in a team who made my time at CBSbutler both rewarding and worthwhile!

Cons

The office is relatively quiet and could do with a bit more buzz.

Nov 28, 2016 – Operations Director

Thank you for the feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us.

We recognise that on occasion energy levels can dip particularly as the sales floor has a wide range of both delivery... More