KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

CBT Nuggets Reviews

Updated Aug 24, 2021

Found 63 of over 66 reviews

2.5
CBT Nuggets Founder & CEO Dan Charbonneau (no image)
Dan Charbonneau
Pros
  • "great benefits(in 9 reviews)

• "CBT Nuggets is full of really great people and there was hardly a person I met who I didn’t get along with(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Lack of empathy from upper management(in 5 reviews)

• "Lots of good employees have been let go without any warning for no good reason(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Greatest Job I Ever Lost

Mar 16, 2020 - Technical Trainer in Eugene, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation far above the industry average; incredible benefits; brilliant employees

Cons

There was a lot of turnover with management in my department; this led to unclear goals and direction at times

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Unknowns and Instability

Aug 24, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer and Manager in Eugene, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

- A wonderful collection of people currently work and have worked for CBT in the past. It really is the strength of the company and the only reason CBT has done as well as it has for the past 20 years. - Compensation coupled with perks and insurance were decent before the pandemic. Then perks that helped ease the pain of lower than industry standard pay started going away. Perks like paid lunches, tickets, and conventions. Not sure if these will come back or not after the pandemic. - There are opportunities on the tech side to work on new tools and languages to further your career.

Cons

- Pay is not transparent. There is no internally public pay bands, no annual review / raise structure. Some people get raises frequently and some don't get any for years. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the current system. - The company's handling of covid started decently, but has really been poor months (now years) in. At the beginning there was a lot of communication from leadership, online gatherings for teams to keep in contact, etc. Since the end of the 2020 summer there has been very little contact which has alienated a lot of employees. It can feel like you are on an island and hear of company news via letter in a bottle. - A lot of employees have left the company in the past two years. Most of these positions have not been filled. That means a lot of the internal company structure is now handled by fewer people. This in turn forces employees to pick up work that they have little knowledge of (as documentation isn't that great at the company), jump on fires to keep the ship afloat, and generally move to more of a maintenance mode instead of innovating and building new things. A few teams have been able to hire for missing roles, but that is very rare and point more to playing favorites rather than hiring for need. - This point ties in with the two bullet points above: There is no clear vision of where the company is headed. There are some internal initiatives, but their status isn't shared with the wider team. It seems like the company is in a standstill, just churning water waiting for something big and grand to happen. Communication from the top is infrequent and usually pretty poor. - The pay at CBT, with a huge demand for technical workers, is below industry standards. The perks that I mention in the Pros section are mostly gone with the pandemic. You will probably be paid less than what you are worth. - There is no understanding about where the company will be in six months. It could still be treading water, could be bouncing back, or could be spiraling the drain. There is no certainty on what the future of the company looks like.

5 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0

Ups and Downs

May 8, 2021 - Product Owner
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work with great people Make an impact on customer careers PTO At CBT, you do get to work with some truly great people. It's absolutely what kept me there for so long.

Cons

Quickly shifting priorities Lack of focus on learner

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0

It's a job

Jun 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, great benefits, nice coworkers

Cons

disorganization, forever changing priorities, and work that is scrapped many times for no reason, disregarded opinions and not caring about the expert opinion if it doesn't "feel" right.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Stepping Stone for your Career

Mar 16, 2021 - Software Developer in Eugene, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

I really grew as a Software Developer learning new and exciting technologies, that stayed on par with industry leading standards

Cons

Growth Frame work at CBT was non existent, and after a short time it became apparent that my career was not going far at CBT. Even after working with my supervisors diligently to establish a growth plan, I was met with me holding up my end of the agreement, and CBT will roll a dice to see if they would hold up theirs. I just didn't feel comfortable gambling on my families well being. That said, a few people hit the Jackpot and get a really great position at CBT, but unfortunately that is not the case for everyone

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

It's what you make of it.

Apr 9, 2021 - Team Member
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very intelligent people, everyday can be something new-so embrace it, the passion to change people's lives through learning is a great reason to work here, ability to work from home or the office is a choice given to employees.

Cons

Not a lot of promotion opportunities, no individual merit style goal setting

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 1.0

The Truth

May 18, 2021 - Too Scared to Let People Know Who Wrote This Review
      Business Outlook

Pros

There have been a lot of reviews for this company that give contradicting information on both sides of the spectrum and I am here to help clear things up, with facts. I was at CBT Nuggets for more than a year, if I give my exact time stamp they will know who it is and I would rather stay anonymous. When I first joined, I truly believe that I hit the jackpot for a job, that I found a job that I would stay at for a long time. My team lead was great, the coworkers were great, the perks were great. When we were at the office, they had fairly good daily catered lunches, snacks, solid gym equipment + pretty good gym classes, dogs were allowed. The office vibe was very much a traditional tech 'start-up', open office desk plan, all the office supplies you could want, and amazing coworkers. When I first joined, I didn't read the glassdoors reviews, then a friend mention I should check them out so I did & I was blown away by these reviews because there was no way this dreamland of a job I was in, was actually a toxic work environment. However, over my time at CBT Nuggets, that realization became more true by each day. A lot of these negative reviews, although emotionally are accurate, a lot of people, myself included were given rose color classes when we first were hired and were unable to see the truth. However, the coworkers at CBT are unmatched. I do believe we band together because it's truly the last good thing about CBT and we all understand that these friendships are the only way to survive this place

Cons

I quickly realized went the pandemic hit and we all had to work from home, how toxic this place truly was and all the sparkly things we were given was to cover up how disorganized, lack of leadership, terrible /rooted in fear the company culture CBT really is. When the pandemic hit, the company took away all benefits that we were given without a heads up or any empathy from the senior leadership team. They never offered any reimbursements for all the additional costs for their employees to work from home ( internet, bills, groceries, etc). They also never given any raises at CBT, not even for inflation. A few years back, an employee asks the CEO for a raise and the CEO was insulted so badly that he wrote a company-wide email stating to never ask for raise because that meant that we were insulting the CEO's ability to understand our worth at CBT. Therefore, that created a fear culture. The CEO also on slack, which is our internal messaging system, and completely snapped on two of our employees, which ended up being so bad that our Engagement team held 2, 3-hour long company-wide meetings to do damage control. This wasn't the first time the engagement team had to do damage control. However, after that experience with the CEO clearly showing his true colors of how he runs this company, the company has lost about 60 people in the last 6 months. Employees have been leaving CBT because they saw how toxic the company is, how the culture is truly rooted in fear and how underpaid they truly were. On top of all this, the CEO started a second company within the walls of CBT and told everyone that he was only taking the best of the best which created a HUGE divide within the company walls. The CEO never check in on his employees this entire time during the pandemic, not once. The COO sort of stayed in touch via videos however, nothing was done to check in on the employees during this incredibly scary time. The lack of empathy is real, which is ironic because it's one of their values. The fear-culture is real, values are non-existent and favoritism is real here. If you need a job, take a job here however, do not plan to stay for long. You will burn out due to being overwork and unpaid and the true color of this company will suck the life out of you.

8 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0

Nothing Lasts For Long, Expect the Unexpected

Oct 11, 2020 - Customer Support/Learning Content Manager, Learning Advisor, IT in Eugene, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company has traditionally hired hard-working common and dedicated, team oriented individuals from middle management on down through the ranks that by-and-large have been a pleasure to work with, in my experiences. CBT Nuggets offers very good insurance coverage with low premiums.

Cons

High turnover Lack of empathy from upper management No published pay structure No cost of living or merit increases - Employees must request raises through supervisor to be approved by CEO Lack of overall direction Siloed workgroups Extremely high recruiting and hiring standards lead to lengthy vacancies and ultimately larger workloads for team members

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0

No direction. No class.

Apr 2, 2021 - Employee in Eugene, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

World-class team members. Despite the awful leadership, day to day is ok with such great colleagues. The HR/training/philanthropy teams have some of the kindest, most genuine people you will meet in your professional career.

Cons

This ship is sinking FAST and all the rats are jumping off. Literally every week at least one person announces they are leaving the company and regularly someone is being let go, as well, while the rest of us hope we will have our chance to put in our notice soon, too. The core issue is the incredibly fragile ego of the CEO. He is not a leader (though he will constantly tell you otherwise). And he’s probably one of the most moronic people you’ll ever meet. Don’t even bother discussing advanced concepts with this person. The CEO so often stands in the way of success of the company. It’s clear he has zero business acumen. When asked about his strategy, he resorts to “well one time my sister did this thing”. I can’t tell you how many conversations in meetings end up circling around “how do we do this without upsetting Dan” or “we know Dan won’t like that so what’s our other option”. At the beginning of the pandemic (of all times), he decided he got a wild hair with the product and took his ball home to play. So he hand picked a group of underqualified yes-men and rebuilt the same product (but worse) under the guise of a “new company”. Then, he promptly when on vacation as dev and product teams were left holding the bag. Even now, as droves of people leave, he takes no action to unify or support the team. Instead it’s more cheap “look at this cool thing I built” sales pitches. Not only that, but every time he gets caught in a lie or his shortcomings exposed, his response is either defensive and aggressive (literally publicly insulting employees) or a faux-vulnerability “poor me I’m trying” company speech. It gets old and nobody buys it anymore. It’s painfully obvious to everyone working at the company what’s going on except for the couple people in charge.

12 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0

Chaos and Inconsistency

Dec 23, 2020 - Employee in Eugene, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. The ability to learn new tech is available and encouraged. Several awesome employees. Cool office space.

Cons

Poor communication. Lack of direction. Constantly changing vision and chasing new things. An inability to see anything through. Very frustrating. Would speak up, but too scared. Misogyny. Veiled racism. Bias. Nepotism. People get fired for speaking up. Fear resulting in a yes man culture. Emphasis on man culture.

12 people found this review helpful