CCP Reviews | Glassdoor

CCP Reviews

Updated February 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

"Downhill"

I worked at CCP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing intellectual properties, highly appealing perks. The company was an undisputed leader in its field in the years preceding my employment. With upcoming titles in development (already announced publicly), there is still a chance that the company will be able to recover some stability in the near to midterm future.

Cons

Increasingly frequent downsizing, inability to deliver. The company stumbled once shortly before I joined, and in retrospect never managed to recover.

Advice to Management

CCP has been managed on a steadily downward path for many years. Numerous people who started as true believers left completely disillusioned.

"Great people, poorly managed"

I worked at CCP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the most excellent and brightest co-workers I've ever had the privilege to work with. Fun leisure activities, at least for the single folks, company trips, great free lunches, overall a great environment to work in.

Cons

The upper management is totally clueless. They have these fantastic teams on the ground, and no idea where they want to point them, what to do with what they create, and the company values in particular are a long-running tragic joke. Some of the middle management is just so confused, that they can't be effective either. Also, many employees, are by industry standards, underpaid.

Advice to Management

Point at a star, and then get out of the way. Stop rebooting your projects every 6 months to a year. Stop wasting money on swag and silliness. When you get feedback, listen to it!

"Managers should be replaced"

I worked at CCP full-time

Pros

Free lunch everyday, sometime breakfast and dinner as well. Easy to get a day off no matter what.

Cons

Managers are not good in general especially Icelanders and good managers are leaving the company. If you are not Icelander, you may be sometime intimidated. Some people do unnecessary traveling and earning money from per diem. No career path.

5. "Culture of I ndie studio, and success of sound publisher"

I have been working at CCP full-time

Pros

CCP is financially stable, currently has terrific leadership in place throughout the company, and is lead by creative vision in their new pursuits. The culture is fun, quirky, permissive of being human and yourself at work, challenging in all the right ways, and academic/intellectual in its approach without being snobbish.

Cons

I struggle to think of many cons, but I guess that some central processes, systems and tools are overly cumbersome, and travel is both too frequent and under-valued (everyone travels in economy regardless of length, frequency, etc).

Advice to Management

You've struck quite a good balance with the company culture after a period of hard times. Fight to keep that. Also, some decisions made by the exec team should be delegated/decentralised - everything going though leadership team isn't scalable and we're bigger than that now.

6. "Great game structure"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I worked at CCP (More than a year)

Pros

In many ways CCP treats their employees well by keeping healthy food and drink in reach, having social events on regular basis and party hard

Cons

Managements lack the structure their games has.

Advice to Management

Lay of the shark culture, be more liberal, attend more to your employees than your annual reports. They will reward you!

7. "CCP Games"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I worked at CCP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working on Eve online, talented colleagues, amazing community, office space, AAA developer reputation, cool events.

Cons

Salary was either at or below average. Failure to diversify product portfolio. Weather in Iceland is depressing.

Advice to Management

Dont bet your company on succeeding in VR market please.

8. "QA Engineer"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I worked at CCP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CCP has a great camaraderie, it's like joining a family. The office is fairly open and the parties were wild. I miss the people dearly.

The office canteen is often hit or miss, but you'll miss it once you don't have it anymore.

Cons

If you're a software engineer you'll find that "You touched it last, you own it" jokes were common. Take this as an indicator.

Some people might find it too cult-like. I guess it depends how much you embrace the company.

Kids in the gaming area are often noisy and distracting from work.

Advice to Management

If Eve is forever, give it the attention and love behind the scenes that it needs.

Stop using the gaming area in the office as an advertised benefit and then using it as an automated daycare center.

"Love it a little and hate it a lot"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I have been working at CCP full-time

Pros

Flexibility is great(works both ways, employee and employer are both flexible.)
    The people are awesome.
    The food is not great but it is good.
    Easy. (also a con)

Cons

My review for CCP reflects on how I experience working in a specific team. I know there are teams that are doing really great stuff but sadly the company will never be stronger than it's weakest link, my team could do much better.

Lower level software engineers are doing a lot of work for a much lower paycheck than seniors and leads. (I know this for a fact since I overheard a private discussion).

Seniors and leads should have a higher paycheck and for loyalty as well but it kills the drive of "lower level engineers" who want to learn and do great things when the "leaders" and managers have engineering knowledge that is ancient, they have no leadership skills at all and their enthusiasm is pretty much: "I'm going to finish this just before the deadline and get my monthly paycheck subscription." and "Let's have a meeting and talk about how we will maybe do something to improve and then not do it."

The seniors and leads are really cozy in their positions, sometimes doing good things but usually something really mysterious. It's not their fault. They have been trained to work like this.

Many things have improved for the company over the passed year but there are still rotten apples that need to be thrown away. There are seeds in the company that are growing into great people already and there are some hidden gems that no one listens to but they have skills that can make CCP great.

There is more knowledge and better leadership in the people who are not leading the teams and these people will leave because they don't want to get better at working with old tools, old code and old knowledge.

Reasons to not join CCP(my team):
    If you want to learn new things and use the latest technology.
    If you want to be a great programmer and work on exciting projects.
    If you want to advance your career and have a salary that matches your skills and not employment time at the company.
    If you want structure, goals and good leadership.

Advice to Management

Finish setting the OKR's being implemented right now. You are doing it wrong but it will be great experience when this fails. The trick is that when it fails don't stop doing it, stick with it and learn from it. Most of the leaders at CCP have been there for a long time but they don't seem to have any experience in using failure to create success.

Before the next iteration of OKR's make sure that the leads and managers have a clear vision on how they expect to lead the teams to success. Where do they want their projects to be in 5 years?? 1 year? now? How will they get there? Of course they should not be responsible for all of that, but they are responsible for leading the teams and inspiring them so they will want to do more then get a paycheck.

Hire someone who has experience as an engineer and as a manager who can assess how the leaders are inspiring or killing their teams. If there is already someone who already is doing that.. fire that person.

10. "Fun place to work very empowering work culture, excess waste."

I worked at CCP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CCP is very focused to play together and have all the available work very optimistic attitude towards that makes work fun and interesting.
    Lots of hardcore players working in CCP, so people here really understand all the players and people are very concerned about the acerca players. Because people are aligned with the player approach that is less conflict and more happiness in the office

Cons

- Very bad governance in general.

- Lack of communication within and between departments and teams.

- Very policy. The policy logic, professionalism and work ethic. Whether you can do a good job, finish your work on time, or have the knowledge to do the job is far less important that you get along with people and be liked by your supervisor and key business people.

- People who do not understand what is professionalism. Human resources most of the leadership. Most of them are not at the top and does not solve the problems (problems of production or management). They have lots of meetings to talk about it, and just to get out of these meetings to do something.

- Extremely inefficient. Losing a lot of time and effort to do very little.

- Poor pipeline and workflow. Designed for people who have no knowledge or experience, however, has a huge ego.

- A lot of employees "old-timer" who have been with the company for a long time did not do much work, however, due to the emphasis of the CPC on seniority and loyalty, his work is very safe. They become political as most.

- Poor planning and execution. This is the direction of art / art for the actual product and production.

- The inclusion of industry standard wages.

"More politics, intrigue, drama and backstabbing than EVE"

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Reykjavík (Iceland)
    Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in Reykjavík (Iceland)

I worked at CCP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Non-management people are typically very nice, talented and interesting. The company is very multicultural and living in Iceland is just amazing. Even though Reykjavik is small, there are plenty of things to do. There office is relatively spacious and easy to reach, you can probably find an apartment in walking distance. They serve excellent food in the office and there are supermarkets nearby if you feel you need anything else. Salary is OK-ish, not super great considering you need to spend a lot of money on plane tickets if you want to get off Iceland to visit family etc, but not bad either.

EVE continues to be the best sci-fi MMO in the world and despite the bad, being able to work on it is very amazing. Fan events are really massive and over the top and it is nice to be able to interact with the player community.

Cons

Many people play political games, especially when it comes to game design. The senior management is extremely top-down and wants to dictate everything, but lacks the creativity, insight and talent to really come up with features that work well with the existing game. After a few months they figure out that their giant masterplan doesn't work, abandon it, shift the blame to random people and come up with another ridiculous idea that has to be developed in the leftover time. Meanwhile game design has to tie up all the loose ends and work out all the details of their plan, but the management doesn't care about these nitty-gritty things and doesn't give feedback when you ask them, only to criticize it later after it is already halfway through development.

Since development time is limited and allocated only through lots of red-tape, there is a lot of scheming and backstabbing to get your idea to the top. This results in a toxic atmosphere where colleges are treated as competitors and a lot of grudges are left to fester. Pet projects of senior management get disproportionate amounts of devtime, while good ideas from the design team, programming team and player community are completely disregarded and left to rot in the ever-growing backlog.

Any attempts to discuss these problems will earn you a bounty on your head, as CCP managers immediately become defensive or even openly hostile to anyone that shows the slightest sign of criticism. Only yes-men have any chance for promotion and this leads to political animals rising to the top. Anyone that speaks out against senior management is disposed of in one way or another. First they will move you to penance projects, where you lack any influence and will get dull and useless tasks, hoping you'll resign by yourself. Once you got senior management to hate you for whatever reason, they'll do a thorough job getting rid of you. I was asked to resign, or else I was promised CCP would 'ruin my career, and ensure I would never get another job in the games industry'.

Advice to Management

Find a therapist to get that sociopathy treated.